Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Next season, they should have Picard able to just speak with his mind to people's communicators when he's far away. There's no need for him to vocalize anything when no one near him needs to hear what he's saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one thing that makes no sense, IMO, was how an android could do a mind-meld. We have like 50 years of canon that only Vulcans can do it because they have telepathic abilities. Just saying 'oh I studied it' doesn't make any sense. But then again these new androids have blurred the line between human and machine to an absurd degree and I don't feel like the show really reckoned with the consequences of that enough.

There are so many possibilities for this that it barely matters. They studied the physiology and then duplicated it within their body, they studied the physics and then replicated it within their bodies, whatever.

The magic holophoner that fixes everything was the most lazy thing I've seen in a while. It didn't matter, because they could have done everything without it, it was just sort of dumb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess at least Picard was saved by other people when he was willing to make the sacrifice. Better than him to be like 'put me in the robot' with his last breath.

The Data stuff is easily the highlight of the show and I wish we had more than just the stuff in Episode 1 and the finale.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That would have been hilarious though. "I immediately regret sacrificing myself. Do whatever it takes to put me in that robot. Kill that Soong guy if you have to, but you must put me in the robot, it's my dying wish."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder if Picard's new artificial flesh and blood body has a regular human-style beating heart, or an artificial one made of duritanium to match what he had before. (Maybe they even transplanted the same one from body to body?) After all, they only said they fixed the brain thing, not the heart thing, and made a big deal about how they kept his new body as close as they could to the original.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's worth noting that the upper end of human life span at the time of TNG is supposed to be like 150 or something like that? So fixing a condition that caused him to lose 50-60 years of that lifespan isn't really stealing his mortality or whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dr. Crusher is conspicuously missing in this series. Could they not get Gates McFadden?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I definitely noticed the Ikea lamps

They're antiques???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

They're antiques???

we hosed off to a secret new world and brought our circa 2020 cardboard lamps with us

Yeah, they might be the most valuable things still in there I guess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

Dr. Crusher is conspicuously missing in this series. Could they not get Gates McFadden?
No idea. She's the only main TNG cast member who didn't get namedropped at least once. I thought for sure going into the series that she was going to die or something and that was what caused Picard to retire.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

No idea. She's the only main TNG cast member who didn't get namedropped at least once.

I believe you will find that Wesley and Pulaski were both main cast as well

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

No one has seen Beverly Crusher in 20 years after she got a whole pallet of sex ghost candles delivered to her mansion

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I believe you will find that Wesley and Pulaski were both main cast as well

Tasha Yar, too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Tasha Yar, too.

yeah and data hosed her

but its not like Picard could enlist her to help, unlike the others (pulaski may be dead? Wesley may be....... I shudder to think)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It's a fascinating topic on the bleeding edge of science (and philosophy) right now, but oversimplifying runs the risk of telling this guy that he is a monster and not himself because he lost his gut bacteria and the neurons in his lower GI:

I wouldn't jump to monster at all, just a different person. Could be a better person, could be a worse one, probably a lot like the old one with new circumstances in most ways. It's definitely a topic of fascination to me, and one I'm over simplifying because the concept just makes a lot of intuitive and comfortable sense to me. I think you're spot on it not being explored specifically in Trek here or in general, it's a newish concept and hasn't even been worked into memes or popular culture at all yet so I'm looking loony waiting for tv writers to hop on the train.

Re: Data and Tasha - dude said he was fully functional. Does that mean he pulled out, they used protection, or she was on BC? I assume Soong made Data capable of making soong/data babies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sorry if this has already been posted:

Transcript from some deleted responses on Chabons IG

edit: gently caress reformatting that, here's the reddit link https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/fpyik6/spoilers_transcription_of_some_answers_from/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I definitely noticed the Ikea lamps

Also, picardroid woke up on a Purple pillow, just like me! (granted mine had a pillowcase on it)

This is at least the fourth time I've owned something that I then saw as a prop on Star Trek.

Did no one notice the black coated picnic tables on Rios’ ship? They’re practically begging for an institutional barbecue or smokesnakeleaf break

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

1. Plans for the Reaper beacon exist outside of a well on a dead world in the middle of nowhere because and only because there's a secret society passing the code around via space vision chickenpox parties with an 90% casualty rate. Yes, this information can be harmlessly conveyed via mind meld and/or words, but trust me this is better.
2. Anyway, our plan is to share this information with a culture that considers organic life inferior because that's gonna gently caress em up somehow.
3. We have a magic spanner that will instantly and flawlessly create whatever technology you can dream up, and organic ships that can take down a Borg cube, but some disruptor fire is really a threat because we didn't think to build shields.
4. Fellow Reapers, our oppressed brothers have lit the Galactic beacon, let us immediately scramble our robo-death fleet to...wait, nevermind the signal cut off suddenly, I guess that means they're okay.

Either this new stuff is poo poo or I've grown out of Star Trek and tbqh I just watched an thoroughly enjoyed a DS9 episode where the A-story was Quark getting audited so I don't think its me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But it's an octonary system the whole point of which is getting everyone's attention because they cannot form in a gravitationally stable way naturally. I know exactly the Arthur C. Clarke short story they got that idea from and the entire CONCEPT is that it is attention grabbing. You can see from a thousand light years away that somebody powerful put it there intentionally.

Secret world my rear end.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

1. Plans for the Reaper beacon exist outside of a well on a dead world in the middle of nowhere because and only because there's a secret society passing the code around via space vision chickenpox parties with an 90% casualty rate. Yes, this information can be harmlessly conveyed via mind meld and/or words, but trust me this is better.
2. Anyway, our plan is to share this information with a culture that considers organic life inferior because that's gonna gently caress em up somehow.
3. We have a magic spanner that will instantly and flawlessly create whatever technology you can dream up, and organic ships that can take down a Borg cube, but some disruptor fire is really a threat because we didn't think to build shields.
4. Fellow Reapers, our oppressed brothers have lit the Galactic beacon, let us immediately scramble our robo-death fleet to...wait, nevermind the signal cut off suddenly, I guess that means they're okay.

Either this new stuff is poo poo or I've grown out of Star Trek and tbqh I just watched an thoroughly enjoyed a DS9 episode where the A-story was Quark getting audited so I don't think its me.

1) Didn't seem like the Reapers were wanting to contact Romulans, they just got to it first and Romulans just loving suck.

3) Magic spanner I can buy, not much more magic than any tricorder bullshit they do in an average classic episode. Programmers today strive to make systems that anticipate needs and do what the user wants it to do without much rigamarole between "desire" and "action." Presumably TNG didn't have mind-reading tech because back then they didn't even know we'd all become cyborgs with vestigial computers in our pockets by 2010.

4) The fact that the beacon opened a lovecraft portal with tentacles aside, "galactic genocide" probably isn't something you program yourselves to respond to with just the first signal that appears. If anything, the response time between "beacon activated" and "hell portal open" was unbelievably fast -- the reapers obviously assign some kind of values to life so it stands to reason they wouldn't be like "oh I think I heard the signal, time for deep crimes against the universe full stop, no stopping this death boat now."

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It's because DS9 was good, and Picard is low effort crap.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I found a screengrab.

lol is bad

Those big bays would make sense for devoting a large part of the upper saucer to hangar space like the Galaxy and Akira classes but they are very large very recessed very off-axis impulse rockets for some reason. Looks like the shuttle bay is actually at the front of the saucer.

Wonder what could possibly fit in those two narrow parallel strakes extending from the upper saucer all the way to the leading edge.

Also what's going on with the dorsal rear of the stardrive section? It's got a dimple and what looks like another shuttle bay at the back. Hard to tell.

The ship it looks most like is the Nova class, with some design cues from the Akira and Sovereign.

The nacelles are John Eaves designing something is technically round but styled to look as much like a blade as possible.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 27, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How is that bad? It's actually a really clever detail, in the scene before they introduced the idea that using mirror image spell totally fools the Romulans and Starfleet figured quickly if it worked for Picard, it'll work for them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The actual ship design who cares, it looks exactly like a star trek ship but lol the copy pasting

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I found a screengrab.

lol is bad

Those just look like Voyagers to me.

Also Jesus Christ: "I would like to experience death as all organics do."
"Oh cool, we just happen to have developed robodies that are functionally organic, you can eat and drink, experience emotions, age and break down just like organics do. Wanna load into one, track down Geordi and Worf, get drunk and reminisce about the good old days?"
"Um...actually...could you just unplug me over the span of three minutes?"

Edit: I guess losing Utopia Plantation wasn't too big of a blow after all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 27, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Did nobody on the hundreds of Starfleet ships watching all of this go down not think "wait a minute, that's Admiral Oh! what the gently caress?" Eh just let her go I'm sure it's fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The actual ship design who cares

https://i.imgur.com/l5xGFFP.mp4

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Khanstant posted:

1) Didn't seem like the Reapers were wanting to contact Romulans, they just got to it first and Romulans just loving suck.

3) Magic spanner I can buy, not much more magic than any tricorder bullshit they do in an average classic episode. Programmers today strive to make systems that anticipate needs and do what the user wants it to do without much rigamarole between "desire" and "action." Presumably TNG didn't have mind-reading tech because back then they didn't even know we'd all become cyborgs with vestigial computers in our pockets by 2010.

4) The fact that the beacon opened a lovecraft portal with tentacles aside, "galactic genocide" probably isn't something you program yourselves to respond to with just the first signal that appears. If anything, the response time between "beacon activated" and "hell portal open" was unbelievably fast -- the reapers obviously assign some kind of values to life so it stands to reason they wouldn't be like "oh I think I heard the signal, time for deep crimes against the universe full stop, no stopping this death boat now."

1) Sure, but if I care enough about you to kick the poo poo out of someone who is mean to you, its pretty poo poo of me to leave both the promise and instructions on how to redeem the promise in a well on a single dead world. The actual reapers left all kinds of poo poo lying around.

3) Sure, magic spanner. I guess it was just a failure of imagination, if Picard had wished for a replicator that could pump out automated Sovereign-class ships instantly the Spanner would have provided.

4) Even presuming the Reapers robotentacles couldn't see what's up from scanning on their own "distress signal getting abruptly and violently cut off" seems like a call to action rather than an excuse to slither home.

Oh god, I think I'm experiencing Bijh.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Those just look like Voyagers to me.

Also Jesus Christ: "I would like to experience death as all organics do."
"Oh cool, we just happen to have developed robodies that are functionally organic, you can eat and drink, experience emotions, age and break down just like organics do. Wanna load into one, track down Geordi and Worf, get drunk and reminisce about the good old days?"
"Um...actually...could you just unplug me over the span of three minutes?"

To be fair, the dude has had 20 years of isolated disembodied consciousness under his belt. I'd probably wanna just call it quits after that, too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Did nobody on the hundreds of Starfleet ships watching all of this go down not think "wait a minute, that's Admiral Oh! what the gently caress?" Eh just let her go I'm sure it's fine.

Yes, Riker did. And he mentioned it. What do you think he should have done? Engage with a roughly-equal enemy force and take thousands of casualties in order to bring her in?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I wonder if Season 2 of this or Season 3 of Disco taking place in the future will ever address the fact that Soong and Maddox have functionally solved death, which should seriously shake up the entire galaxy. Since Trek doesn't deal with the concept of a soul and the body being torn apart and reassembled in the transporter beam, the golem method is basically immortality. Hell, Thomas Riker is basically proof that there's no concept of a soul so just go in for your monthly backup and slot into a robobody when you kick the bucket. I like how Picard is like "my gain is your loss, sucks to be you" when they could just build another one.

It's kinda like Altered Carbon at that point.

Which is already ignoring rejuvenating DNA via the transporter, but still.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Khanstant posted:

Well, ... it's *sonic*. I bet it could assemble a cabinet at someone if needed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mortanis posted:

I wonder if Season 2 of this or Season 3 of Disco taking place in the future will ever address the fact that Soong and Maddox have functionally solved death, which should seriously shake up the entire galaxy. Since Trek doesn't deal with the concept of a soul and the body being torn apart and reassembled in the transporter beam, the golem method is basically immortality. Hell, Thomas Riker is basically proof that there's no concept of a soul so just go in for your monthly backup and slot into a robobody when you kick the bucket. I like how Picard is like "my gain is your loss, sucks to be you" when they could just build another one.

Many people in the Trek universe certainly have a concept of the soul. Just like most religious concepts, it survives scientific advances that would seem to disprove it.

Some people undoubtedly think Thomas Riker is an soulless minion of orthodoxy abomination. In fact, Riker himself said that multiple Rikers "diminishes me in ways I can't even imagine"'

It's complicated, but lol if you think anything in Trek would be *proof* to a religious person that they are wrong.

*worships The Picard*

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Mortanis posted:

They've solved death numerous times over:

-The Baku planet
-The nexus
-Effective immortal consciousness in the Borg
-Transporters
-Clones
-Holographic bodies
-Android bodies
-Borg nanoprobes
-Khan's magic blood

And so on. I mean, they had already established in season 2 of TNG that a guy could download his entire consciousness safely into a ship's computer, so even that's old news.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I feel like you'd need a whole separate show/universe to logically explore the ramifications of a profound and wondrous attempt to avoid making shuttle models.

Like, why destroy the original in the first place? Just send down perfect copies of yourselves as the away team with the knowledge that they're disposable redshirts.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

gently caress, we have an intruder, please dispatch 7 copies of Mr. Worf to be beaten in humiliating ways.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Yes, Riker did. And he mentioned it. What do you think he should have done? Engage with a roughly-equal enemy force and take thousands of casualties in order to bring her in?

He should have stayed at home and never helped make this show, honestly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like you'd need a whole separate show/universe to logically explore the ramifications of a profound and wondrous attempt to avoid making shuttle models.

Like, why destroy the original in the first place? Just send down perfect copies of yourselves as the away team with the knowledge that they're disposable redshirts.

In Trek the original isn't destroyed, it's sent. They cannot (intentionally) make a new (living) human with the transporter or replicator.

How Thomas Riker happens is just :techno: THEY don't even understand how it worked, and they can't duplicate it (yet)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I know it is a minor nitpick but I think it's funny that out of all of the myriad of starship designs they could have lifted from Star Trek Online they picked one of the uglier ones

I wonder if they went with that one because it's a ship somebody making this show has played in the game or if it was just the first thing that showed up in their Google search for Starfleet ship designs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Utopia Plantation

And now I'm imagining F8 singing "Let my people go."

Mortanis posted:

Hell, Thomas Riker is basically proof that there's no concept of a soul so just go in for your monthly backup and slot into a robobody when you kick the bucket.

For an actual exploration of that concept, check out the book "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow.