Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I find it kind of crazy that no one has digitized all the back issues of TV Guide. You can barely find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
eBay's business model depends on it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's not the digitization of TV Guide (I totally agree that it's weird that it's not been done yet), but Marion Stokes legitimately attempted to record everything.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

I find it kind of crazy that no one has digitized all the back issues of TV Guide. You can barely find anything.

You can find several on Internet Archive

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I'm trying to remember a ludicrous film where the actors are OTT fighting with some superpowered motorbikes. I seem to think it was in front of a row of vending machines or a giant billboard advertising an energy drink.
I think it was around the time of Fast And The Furious do early '00's. Any idea?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MisterGBH posted:

I'm trying to remember a ludicrous film where the actors are OTT fighting with some superpowered motorbikes. I seem to think it was in front of a row of vending machines or a giant billboard advertising an energy drink.
I think it was around the time of Fast And The Furious do early '00's. Any idea?

Torque

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Oh brilliant thank you!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That giant key gag is the purest cinema to me. :love:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

By coincidence I watched Torque for the first time yesterday and was posting elsewhere about the very good and perfect scene you're referencing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCeFJ66oRM

This effectively represents the entire movie, both in tone and content

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I heard a story once that the director of Torque told half the cast that they were trying to make a motorcycle franchise like the fast and the furious, and the other half it was a parody of those movies. I've never tried to double check this because I will be gutted if it isnt true, and its a lot of fun to watch that movie and try and work out who was taking it seriously and who wasnt.

Edit to add; Even if its not true it sure seems it could be when you watch it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress this is killing me. Sci-Fi movie, female protagonist, she had some kind of tribble or creature with her. Super-generic "go on the spaceship that came back without a crew and find out what happened" there is an invisible(shapeshifter?) monster on board. I think it was done in a 'everything is a flashback at a military debriefing' way?

It was super obviously a TV pilot of some kind repurposed as a movie. Think it had a generic one- or two-word title like Infinium or something. 2008-12 or so.

Box art was mostly blue and black.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoombatINC posted:

By coincidence I watched Torque for the first time yesterday and was posting elsewhere about the very good and perfect scene you're referencing

This is comedy gold, what the gently caress.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sigher posted:

This is comedy gold, what the gently caress.

Torque is a fun movie

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress this is killing me. Sci-Fi movie, female protagonist, she had some kind of tribble or creature with her. Super-generic "go on the spaceship that came back without a crew and find out what happened" there is an invisible(shapeshifter?) monster on board. I think it was done in a 'everything is a flashback at a military debriefing' way?

It was super obviously a TV pilot of some kind repurposed as a movie. Think it had a generic one- or two-word title like Infinium or something. 2008-12 or so.

Box art was mostly blue and black.

Not a perfect fit for what you describe, but Europa Report, maybe?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Allyn posted:

Not a perfect fit for what you describe, but Europa Report, maybe?
No it wasn't found footage, it was supposed to be a sci-fi action/thriller. And it starred absolutely nobody.

edit: ENIGMA

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 19, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
the director of torque

https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/452173541815750656

what ebert actually said about torque, comparing it to the biker exploitation flick hell's angels on wheels

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

DoombatINC posted:

"You want some of this?" Said while a Mountain Dew logo dominates the screen is super-liminal advertising.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It's really a pretty amazing movie. It's only because it's not obviously a parody movie that people don't give it a chance. The direct wink to the screen when they say "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" is the "stupidest thing I've ever heard" is also great. That was back when Fast and Furious movies were realistic-ish.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A short musical film about a pizza delivery guy who gets into a loveless marriage so he can get an espresso machine as a wedding present.

Deets:
May have been named "Expresso"

I saw it a bunch of times as filler between films on a premium movie channel back in the early to mid 90s (around the same time the 90s Outer Limits started airing)

Much of the dialogue and exposition was via song, ie the pizza guy's introduction was to the tune of "Funiculi Funicula":

"Hello, hello, my name is Bob
Singing, singing, singing is my job
Mushrooms, olives, and some extra cheese
Is what you ge-et when you pay me please
So give me cash or mastercard
My life is really very haaaaard..."

I also remember him singing an ode to espresso, to O Sole Mio:

"Oh my espresso, I love you so
There is just one thing, I want to know
Oh will you please, please marry me
So I can always, have you for free"

"Marry me" starts skipping like a record in his head, which is when he concocts the wedding present plan

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Horror movie, probably DTV, probably late 90s - late 00s.

Begins with young people traveling cross-country and in an improvised caravan, possibly including a semi-trailer truck. A male driver in the caravan talks about how much he enjoys when a caravan naturally forms between strangers on the road, and he laments when it breaks up.

Eventually things end up at a remote house, and women are being tormented/tortured in a basement dungeon. I think there is a long elevator shaft. The killer is young-ish and has some history with the women. The women are chained up and facing each other, possibly separated by glass. One of them is killed (rib cage ribbed apart or torso sliced open or something), but it is later revealed that she was wearing a prosthetic torso and isn't really dead. I don't think she was in on it.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
OK, this one has been bugging me for a few years. I hope someone can help.

I took this film out of the Library in 2016, but I watched hundreds of movies that year, and lost my list. It was no more than a few years old at the time.

The packaging was quite nice with a booklet and everything, which made me think it was Criterian, but a. quick search of their catalog revealed nothing.

I was either from China or Taiwan. There were 3 separate stories that were linked together, and each story showed the toil that modern life/capitalism had on the lower class. The 1st story revolved around a very poor man in a small village and developers were taking over (?); the 3rd was a young person working in a very glitzy environment (Taipei?) and he had a really lovely living situation. I cannot recall the 2nd story at all, but it had to do with a woman.

I really enjoyed it at the time, and would really like to give it a re-watch

Thanks goons!

e: It's a drama, not a documentary.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
As a kid in the mid 90s I used to stay up late on Fridays to watch the bloc of weird short films and anime shown on Channel 4 in the UK. "The Cat With Hands" was one they showed.

There was one set in the contemporary North of England about a grumpy unemployed man dragging his young son along to a job interview. He leaves him outside with a sandwich and orders him not to share it. An alcoholic or drug addict comes along and begs for a bite. The boy offers one and is caught by the dad who flies into a rage at first, but IIRC, softens at the act of kindness. Does anyone know what this was?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

wildmamboqueen posted:

OK, this one has been bugging me for a few years. I hope someone can help.

I took this film out of the Library in 2016, but I watched hundreds of movies that year, and lost my list. It was no more than a few years old at the time.

The packaging was quite nice with a booklet and everything, which made me think it was Criterian, but a. quick search of their catalog revealed nothing.

I was either from China or Taiwan. There were 3 separate stories that were linked together, and each story showed the toil that modern life/capitalism had on the lower class. The 1st story revolved around a very poor man in a small village and developers were taking over (?); the 3rd was a young person working in a very glitzy environment (Taipei?) and he had a really lovely living situation. I cannot recall the 2nd story at all, but it had to do with a woman.

I really enjoyed it at the time, and would really like to give it a re-watch

Thanks goons!

e: It's a drama, not a documentary.
I'm going to take a stab that it's A Touch of Sin (2013), even though there were four stories instead of three

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist

Coaaab posted:

I'm going to take a stab that it's A Touch of Sin (2013), even though there were four stories instead of three
That's the one! Thanks!!

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I fell asleep during the fourth story too

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I can't remember any of the details of the film I'm looking for except at one point on TV there's an an old black and white movie from the 50s playing about a giant radioactive bird swoops in and eats a soldier parachuting out of a plane.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I can't remember any of the details of the film I'm looking for except at one point on TV there's an an old black and white movie from the 50s playing about a giant radioactive bird swoops in and eats a soldier parachuting out of a plane.

The black and white film is The Giant Claw, the movie showing the footage is on the tip of my tongue...

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

DeimosRising posted:

The black and white film is The Giant Claw, the movie showing the footage is on the tip of my tongue...

One of these:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050432/movieconnections

Electric Dreams? TerrorVision? Those seems to be the only actual movies on the list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Giant Claw, pretty sure.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I can't see anything on that list that I have seen, so likely it's not on there.

E: yeah it's definitely the Giant Claw.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Action Jacktion posted:

One of these:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050432/movieconnections

Electric Dreams? TerrorVision? Those seems to be the only actual movies on the list.

No I watched something recently that specifically referenced the giant claw as well, I remember seeing the footage of the pilot getting chomped and thinking, oh look, it’s the giant claw...

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Horror movie, probably DTV, probably late 90s - late 00s.

Begins with young people traveling cross-country and in an improvised caravan, possibly including a semi-trailer truck. A male driver in the caravan talks about how much he enjoys when a caravan naturally forms between strangers on the road, and he laments when it breaks up.

Eventually things end up at a remote house, and women are being tormented/tortured in a basement dungeon. I think there is a long elevator shaft. The killer is young-ish and has some history with the women. The women are chained up and facing each other, possibly separated by glass. One of them is killed (rib cage ribbed apart or torso sliced open or something), but it is later revealed that she was wearing a prosthetic torso and isn't really dead. I don't think she was in on it.

Amusement (2008)

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Purple Gromit posted:

Amusement (2008)

Thanks! I don't remember it being an anthology film (sort of, I guess), but that's it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There's a Spanish language movie about two kids growing up in Cuba. There are two distinctive things about it. One is that I think it's shot in black and white. The other is that there's a scene where the kids meet a mom/sister's rear end in a top hat boyfriend, and he has nunchucks. During the climax of the movie the guy is marching down the street doing "cool" nunchuck tricks. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Something I saw in the 90s on network TV (Sci-fi? USA? TNT?) scared the hell out of kid me. It may have been a show and not a movie.

A woman was sobbing about her hair falling out. Cut to what appeared to be black goo eating through someone's hands. Sound familiar?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Something I saw in the 90s on network TV (Sci-fi? USA? TNT?) scared the hell out of kid me. It may have been a show and not a movie.

A woman was sobbing about her hair falling out. Cut to what appeared to be black goo eating through someone's hands. Sound familiar?

Sounds similar to The Peanut Butter Solution (1985).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

Dark Skies?
An Xfiles show that was set in the 60s.
I think the black goo was a mind control thing, cant remember.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

100% certain that's Leviathan with Peter Weller.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hannibal Rex posted:

100% certain that's Leviathan with Peter Weller.

Seems like it. I just read the summary on Wikipedia, googled the actress and saw a screen grab of what appears to be the scene I mentioned. The 80s hair frizziness and the bluish background that could have either been a spaceship or a sea vessel stand out in my memory too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
There's also a hair falling out scene in The Craft.