Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I just got the racket party event outcome where it spawns a "hybrid of your species and the racket" pops on your homeworld.

Except rather than being a crossbreed of my savanna humanoid species with psychic mamallian tomb-world rats, I got 3 pre-sapient arthropoids with continental habitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

I just got the racket party event outcome where it spawns a "hybrid of your species and the racket" pops on your homeworld.

Except rather than being a crossbreed of my savanna humanoid species with psychic mamallian tomb-world rats, I got 3 pre-sapient arthropoids with continental habitability.

Life finds a way

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

QuarkJets posted:

Life finds a way

Unfortunately life has no sense of direction.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AnEdgelord posted:

If I convert a planet with spore vents (or any other event generated planetary feature) into an ecumenopolis, will it remove the feature?

Yes.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

canepazzo posted:

You don't need the sector automation if you turn on the planet automation; in fact, I think it breaks it (even more) if you have both. Creating a sector with no automation (for the governor) and setting planet automation "works" (with heavy emphasys on the "")

Judging by my 2 games and over 100 hours in the game everything can be described as "works" :(
Going to test your advice later. Thanks

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

A 1 energy mine would still be worth building - as fairly quickly it wont be a 1 energy mine due to tech

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Time to stop complaining about pathetic AI. Installed Starnet AI, starting a game on Ensign as recommended by the mod.

Maybe starting with a broken ringworld isn't the most challenging of starts, but still! .. I also got the Cybrex precursors :v: If I still die it is totally my own fault.

Edit: this has to be some kind of joke, 4 rare crystals in next system? I get those and arcane generator switches production to exotic gases to power the research segment...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 28, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

My economy is completely hosed, running -95 energy credit per month deficit, no food, no consumer goods. Making lots of minerals and alloys, but I can't stabilise at all because all my planets have low stability and rampant crime. Everywhere is a dystopian nightmare.

RIP this game I guess.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Communist Bear posted:

My economy is completely hosed, running -95 energy credit per month deficit, no food, no consumer goods. Making lots of minerals and alloys, but I can't stabilise at all because all my planets have low stability and rampant crime. Everywhere is a dystopian nightmare.

RIP this game I guess.

Start with doing a crime lord deal to completely neuter crime and get some stability back and sell those minerals and alloys on the market. Use capacity overload, then buy some of each resource.

Also use those minerals to change your districts and buildings from mineral and alloy production to produce the stuff you're missing, disable some buildings to save yoruself the upkeep.

I've run much worse deficits than this and simply floated my economy with the market.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Started a tutorial easy campaign, so far the game rocks! Its very much scratching that Star Trek Birth of The Federation itch, looking forward to seeing what else this game is up to once I progress!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Started a tutorial easy campaign, so far the game rocks! Its very much scratching that Star Trek Birth of The Federation itch, looking forward to seeing what else this game is up to once I progress!

If you don't care about just winning immediatedly, Scion is a good start. It's horribly overpowered and you're missing out on a few mechanics, but you basically can't lose it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Blurgh, tried to get back in to this game since the DLC is out with a multiplayer session, still getting de-sync errors that ruin the save.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Started playing this again after quite a while.

Is there a screen somewhere with a list of planets? The 'planets and sectors' screen is completely empty. (All my 25 or so planets are in one sector.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

uXs posted:

Started playing this again after quite a while.

Is there a screen somewhere with a list of planets? The 'planets and sectors' screen is completely empty. (All my 25 or so planets are in one sector.)

You have to click on the sector in the planets and sectors screen to "unpack" it and show the planets inside, so to speak. The UI is not clear on this, if you ask me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I have examined the files for Habit capital building jobs and I've decided I'm going to make a personal mod for how the habitat capital building works because I think its absurd that the first tier only provides one job. If I like the results I may publish a small mod for it, and also one that fixes the Void Dweller start (the two 1 value mineral deposits on moons that cannot have Habitats around them). What do people think a second job on the first tier of Habitat Capital should be? Clerk (so its not too overpowered)? Bureaucrat to simulate it takes a paper pusher to keep a habitat organized?

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I'm in the middle of a war and I completely occupied one of the enemy's vassals and then they just completed subject integration and now all my conquered stations flipped control back to them.
thatsStellaris1.txt

Bofast posted:

You have to click on the sector in the planets and sectors screen to "unpack" it and show the planets inside, so to speak. The UI is not clear on this, if you ask me.
thatsStellaris2.txt

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Heh, now at year 2222, 22 years from game start, the fanatic militarist xenophobe with <3 as the empire symbol declares war. This is the earliest war dec I've ever gotten! We'll see how the AI will try to kill me.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Al-Saqr posted:

Once you've got the hang of the base game, check out the Star Trek New Horizons mod - it's really well done, lets you play as any empire of any real significance from the show, and even has a BotF scenario where you start off with one system with the stars laid out in a grid old-school style. ;)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

What is the recommended race/traits/civics for vanilla (full dlc) 'stellaris experience'?
Planning to move from easiest mode to somewhere medium.
Gestalt ai mode seemed easy bc borders closed and no need to juggle around diplomacy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Anything you could play without DLC is super vanilla enough and anything further is just personal preference. So no machine empires, gestalts, nor purifiers. People tend to pick a schtick in order to keep themselves interested, such as slavers or super xenophiles or other such very light roleplaying.

I suppose the answer is "neither fanatic pacifist nor militarist"?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Firing this back up after a long hiatus, seems like a lot has changed, might have to play the tutorial again. Is there any easier way to catch up? Any good guides?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Has anyone had trouble completing precursor chains? Zro popped up and the third site ended up being DEEEEEEP into another empire's territory and in another game Grunur popped and the third research project for finding the third site just didn't spawn at all, near as I can tell.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
My attempts to play a friendly diplomatic megacorp have not gone well.

Attempt 1: I spawn next to a machine intelligence and a devouring swarm. I am eaten by the devouring swarm.

Attempt 2: I spawn next to some friendly species that loves to join federations! Great! However the other species are, in order of discovery: inward perfectionists, fanatic militarist xenophobes, another inward perfectionist, hive mind rocks, determined exterminators, fanatic purifiers, driven assimilators, and some machine intelligence. The universe is not a very friendly place, and is very uninterested in commerce.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Serephina posted:

Anything you could play without DLC is super vanilla enough and anything further is just personal preference. So no machine empires, gestalts, nor purifiers. People tend to pick a schtick in order to keep themselves interested, such as slavers or super xenophiles or other such very light roleplaying.

I suppose the answer is "neither fanatic pacifist nor militarist"?

So just basic bitch pumpkin latte human xenophiles will be all right?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bofast posted:

I see. Apparently everything got somehow dumped into the 'frontier' sector which means that I had literally nothing in that screen.

Next question: is there a way I can get my sectors to automatically build stuff? Doing this for 50 planets is just way too much to bother with. I put a sector on 'balanced' and all the planets on auto but they still don't seem to do anything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uXs posted:

I see. Apparently everything got somehow dumped into the 'frontier' sector which means that I had literally nothing in that screen.

Next question: is there a way I can get my sectors to automatically build stuff? Doing this for 50 planets is just way too much to bother with. I put a sector on 'balanced' and all the planets on auto but they still don't seem to do anything.
About the Frontier sector: Planets you acquire, regardless of the method, go there when they are more than 4 jumps from your capital or another sector capital. You can form new sectors by picking a planet to be the sector capital then going to that planet's UI and clicking the appropriate button.

Regarding sectors buildings stuff: Technically yes, but in reality; lol, no, the AI is far too terrible to even maintain what you have.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
I just tried to change my Droids to allow colonization and the game automatically switched them to undesirables and started purging them. I even have citizen rights enabled in my policies and they had full citizenship but I am not able to change anything regarding their undesirable status now. This is the second time this has happened to me

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Looks like the latest update broke the Enigmatic Fortress event again. Clearly some of the triggers aren't working correctly, and so it'll repeat prompts over and over and makes it very difficult to complete. Even when it's finished, it'll leave orphan events in the situation log. Don't even go into the system if you don't want it to just bork your save.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

RIP. The Starnet AI on ensign corvette rushed me with 36 corvettes. Fanatic militarist gets +20% ship fire rate so a 1,5k just SWEPT over my 20 corvettes + starbase with gun upgrades.

The "1,1k" fire power in starbase means nothing. They can't shoot down a single corvette. Defense platforms popped nearly instantly. Welp. I got CRUSHED.

The only option is to surrender I guess and give the guy the systems. Luckily only 1 colonized planet. I evacuated the pops away. I have to try again in 10 years.. or get owned. Man. This has never happened with regular AI.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 28, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mr. Grinch posted:

I just tried to change my Droids to allow colonization and the game automatically switched them to undesirables and started purging them. I even have citizen rights enabled in my policies and they had full citizenship but I am not able to change anything regarding their undesirable status now. This is the second time this has happened to me

Yup, been there done that. Good to know poo poo's still broken years later for others too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

About the Frontier sector: Planets you acquire, regardless of the method, go there when they are more than 4 jumps from your capital or another sector capital. You can form new sectors by picking a planet to be the sector capital then going to that planet's UI and clicking the appropriate button.

Regarding sectors buildings stuff: Technically yes, but in reality; lol, no, the AI is far too terrible to even maintain what you have.

Right. So is there any use to sectors then? Except that you can assign a governor that has bonuses.

The 4 jumps restriction is really annoying, I could make some pretty sectors because stars tend to be in clumps that would make perfect sectors, but I can't because they're just ever so slightly too big. :-/

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

uXs posted:

Right. So is there any use to sectors then? Except that you can assign a governor that has bonuses.

The 4 jumps restriction is really annoying, I could make some pretty sectors because stars tend to be in clumps that would make perfect sectors, but I can't because they're just ever so slightly too big. :-/
The point of sectors now is to force you to assign these arbitrary sets of planets that are somewhat near each other into one sector. I dont think there is any point to them otherwise. I agree about the 4 jump restriction... I've actually built habitats in the past so I could get the sector to fit perfectly. Its hilarious that the original sector system would be perfect for the new gameplay, but LOL they removed it and refuse to change the current system.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ostensibly, sectors allow you to miniaturize your empire by gifting the governor a pool of resources that he builds stuff with and tries to balance in his own mini-economy. Also you can release them (I think? they may have cut that feature) as independent vassals. Stellaris 1.0 all but demanded you use the feature as you took steep penalties for going over your 4 "core" worlds. All of this is very cool on paper.

In practice, the sector automation has always been trash, even after Federations claims to have improved it; and releasing sectors as vassals has been a mistake as they don't get the bonus' that enemy empires have that prop them up.

So to answer your question, yes, it's just there for the teensy bonus a governor gives. Teensy.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

RIP. The Starnet AI on ensign corvette rushed me with 36 corvettes. Fanatic militarist gets +20% ship fire rate so a 1,5k just SWEPT over my 20 corvettes + starbase with gun upgrades.

The "1,1k" fire power in starbase means nothing. They can't shoot down a single corvette. Defense platforms popped nearly instantly. Welp. I got CRUSHED.

The only option is to surrender I guess and give the guy the systems. Luckily only 1 colonized planet. I evacuated the pops away. I have to try again in 10 years.. or get owned. Man. This has never happened with regular AI.

Use missles on early starbases for this reason - They can't be avoided and that early nothing has AMS.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The thing I miss most about older Stellaris is when you took loads of planets from an enemy you could create a sector with all that enemy's territory in and just forget about it.
I hate that I can't do that now. I feel like I have to manage those planets because they're in my outline bit, just gently caress off other planets please.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

El Generico posted:

Firing this back up after a long hiatus, seems like a lot has changed, might have to play the tutorial again. Is there any easier way to catch up? Any good guides?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmWvxQ8MpQPFiHN1IifynIWiC5-53EHwX

Mr. Fowl posted:

Has anyone had trouble completing precursor chains? Zro popped up and the third site ended up being DEEEEEEP into another empire's territory and in another game Grunur popped and the third research project for finding the third site just didn't spawn at all, near as I can tell.

The Zroni one has always been pretty bad, it's really easy to get screwed out of it. Grunur is usually better, yours was the first I've heard of breaking.

The other precursor chains tend to be fine because they only rely on anomalies, rather than archeological sites with weird conditions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm still wasting time faffing about in Stellaris files and I think I know how to do something about how the following Unity Perks do nothing for Void Dwellers or Shattered Ring starts:
  • Domination: Imperious Architecture
  • Prosperity: Interstellar Franchising
  • Prosperity: Public Works Division
Are there any others that I am missing?

As well as the Housing techs. Eventually planetary housing is worth 7 housing and 2 Clerks while Habitats start, and finish, at 8 housing with no Clerks. Sorely tempted to throw Habitat districts a bone somehow.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm assuming there's an entirely new rule of thumb for building a powerhouse empire with 2.6? Surely pop growth is no longer king due to it counting against sprawl?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Is joining the galactic community supposed to hinder your influence gain by a lot? When I was one of the founding members in a game earlier today, my meagre influence gain turned completely negative, from barely positive to -2. Was that a bug or supposed to happen?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I'm assuming there's an entirely new rule of thumb for building a powerhouse empire with 2.6? Surely pop growth is no longer king due to it counting against sprawl?

What do you mean?

It's even more of a powerhouse. Just build more admin cap buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Incorrect, Pop growth is still your health bar.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Is joining the galactic community supposed to hinder your influence gain by a lot? When I was one of the founding members in a game earlier today, my meagre influence gain turned completely negative, from barely positive to -2. Was that a bug or supposed to happen?
Did you look at what was affecting your influence gain at all? Hovering over the influence counter should tell you where its going.