Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Yeah, that's what one of the worst aspects I recall about the game too. Battle menus that take juuuust long enough to be incredibly frustrating. Really, the only thing I found even more frustrating than those was the fact that you didn't get the chance to kill Kikyo. Or just let her die. Stupid undead golems, ruining everything in this series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If all goes as planned, the next update should be coming on Friday morning.....and evening.

That's right, it's a two-part episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looking at my work schedule, it'll probably be more like Sunday when it's ready.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Waffleman_ posted:

Looking at my work schedule, it'll probably be more like Sunday when it's ready.

It's all good. Inuyasha and the gang sure as hell don't mind sitting on their asses for days at a time. The adventures of Anime are not known for their sense of urgency.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Listen, we live in hard times right now so like

It'll come.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tomorrow, I swear.

Plus, I'm on the quarantine, so very likely I'll be able to post the final two updates after by next Saturday.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, time to get a boat.

Unfortunately, none of the fishermen here will go to Asagiri Island. It's too spooky. But there is....one.

It's this guy.

Sh-Shippo....what? We....we're explicitly trying to go there....to get Naraku....have you been paying attention?

We ask about the island and the dude just makes a noise so Inuyasha literally threatens him with his sword.

Ah sweet.

Wow, this island is surprisingly bright for being foreboding and on the horizon in a dark foggy port town.

Also Inuyasha almost hosed things up on the way there it's not funny this game is never funny.

Hey, a boat! Is someone else here too?

If there's another boat here, there must be someone else here too. But, I wonder who?

You see why I'm abridging this poo poo now?

Inuyasha smells the boat and it's Kikyo's scent, which....I don't think makes sense with the nature of Kikyo as she exists now? I dunno.

Ah geez, I'm lost already.

Ah geez.

I wandered for about 20 minutes. Here's a demon.

Who are you?

I wonder if it's because of this guy that there aren't any people on the island.

Yeah no it's not the tens of demons we just fought for half an hour. It's this fuckin' trash mob nobody.

But, he's not very big.

The demon takes umbrage to being called small which is a hilarious quirk of its....chaaaaaracter? It asks us not to, which, hey, reasonable enough request.

Kagome what the gently caress

Inuyasha rightly figures our time is being wasted and makes to leave.

So uh....this boy planted explosives in the ground. Somehow. And has the fuse.

This is obviously bad.

I mean yeah I guess.

F. Demon: So you won't say I'm small anymore?

I won't, I won't! I won't ever say you're small again!

F. Demon: Aaaa. You said I'm small! You said it!

Oh no, I did.

WE DIDN'T THOUGH. CONTEXT. gently caress THIS IS DUMB.

Well, RIP.

Just kidding.

Well it's just you and me, Sango.

Sango!! Hang on! Don't die! Don't...!

Good news we're all fine.

Well, Sango's a bit tender, but hey, considering we got blown up, I'll take it.

Bad news it's the dinguses.

Run away.

What about you, though?

If you're alone, you'll be able to run away.

Um, no. We're gonna stay because we ARE FRIENDS WITH you.

Hey idiots, here we are!

Oh thank God, Kikyo. I did not actually have an exit strategy.

The two bolt because I guess Kikyo is too strong.

I didn't come here to help you.

Sango, are you okay?

I'm not okay. If you had died, my getting hurt would have been for nothing.

It was dumb, but we're FRIENDS.

Kikyo has medicine and helps Sango get back to health.

I really look bad now.

That's not true at all!

Since you've already seen me fail, can I say something else?

What?

I'm really happy that you stayed, Anime. When I said you should run away, I was actually really scared.

Sango...The reason I've been able to hang in there till now is because of you.

When I came into this world I felt so lonely and afraid. But you've helped me this whole time.

Me too. Up until now I've had many bad things and sad things happen...but I am grateful that I have been able to make such a close friend, which whom I can talk about anything.

Friends? Yes, you're right.

You can see the exact moment her heart breaks.

Oh hey guys I'm fine I'm just fine.

Alright, we're back, we're okay.

Ah.

Utsugi! Kagura! I'm gonna destroy you this time!

Inuyasha they're gone, settle down.

Let's...just follow them.

That's weird because there's definitely no other way they could have gone, not over the rocks or through the grass.

Nowhere else to go.

Does that mean they flew away?

Anime with a reasonable suggestion for once.

Or a secret passage. Let's head in.

This lovely cave is accompanied by what sounds like the lovely screams of the damned.

And those screams of the damned are where we leave off this part. Tune in later today to see the exciting conclusion.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

God, that is painful. They really wanted to hammer home that this is under no circumstances a lesbian (or I guess gay, in MAnime's route) relationship.

We're friends. Close FRIENDS. That is the nature of our friendly relationship as friends. F-R-I-E-N-D-S. Frrrrreeeeennnnndddsss. If you had some meat and potatoes going on down there then hot drat, we'd be talking. Buut, since you don't, you are a permanent resident of Friend City. You are firmly on the guest list for my wedding, which will be to Miroku. That's right, the developers considered him a preferable romantic option to you.

:smith: Poor Anime. The dream is now officially dead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Where were we? Right, Hell cave.

KUNAI WITH CHAIN

Kagome wonders why Kohaku is here and Kagome...come on.

He also attacks us which seems rude.

Kohaku...I can't let you kill my friends. Then I must...

No, you can't, Sango!

Sango does some power of family at Kohaku and

He gets a headache.

M. Demon: drat. You're useless.

Another trash mob in a fart cloud masquerading as an important or worthwhile character appears. It tells us Kohaku was breaking free of Naraku's control or whatever.

We kill it. Whatever.

Again, Kohaku's coming back to us but we gotta kill Naraku.

Alright, let's get the gently caress on with it already.

Ah gently caress.

Ah gently caress.

It's this loving guy again and I'm gonna spare you more of the garbage Abbot and Costello bullshit. There's explosives and he's about to light them, but

Kagura? Well, she bolts so I guess...

Time to die.

It wasn't hard!

Why did Kagura help us, though?

Ah, who cares, we're locked in a room with a bunch of explosives!

Never mind door's open.

Inuyasha tries to do more bad jokes by arguing with Mirkou and Anime encapsulates my thoughts.

That's a lot of big head demons.

Wait how are you here how do you know.

Oh okay I get it now.

They reuse her battle cry for Dance of the Dead for like no reason and it feels so weird.

Also so Kagura wants to help us.

And there's a secret door in the middle of these corpses.

Okay so if you know the series, you probably know what's going on. Kagura doesn't like Naraku anymore, wants to be her own girlboss, Naraku has her heart, she wants to help us kill him so she can be independent.

How's the weather up there?

Shippo are you okay? I'm concerned.

Inuyasha's had enough of this bullshit and uses one of his most basic attacks on an enemy in a much stronger form than we've ever seen them.

It makes him fart so much we can't get close. Kagura's on the job.

Hooray!

Kagura gloats and Naraku's head disappears.

Foolish Kagura. You thought you could set me up.

エフ

Heck you expected?

drat it! Where did Naraku go?

Ha ha ha. Can't you see me? I'm right in front of you!

Oh no, he's a sprite!

AH gently caress GOD GET IT AWAY

Inuyasha tries his basic attack again and there's a barrier, and this time we can't dispel it!

What does this mean?

That boy needs therapy.

Aw jeez, we're in trouble now, boys. It'd take some kind of....third party that's currently unaccounted for.

OH RIGHT THE SHIKON JEWEL EXISTS

AN UNACCOUNTED FOR THIRD PARTY-I mean KIKYO.

Kikyo shoots...

And scores!

But ah dang there goes Kikyo.

And there goes the jewel aw poo poo

His final form....

It's the final battle against Naraku! This one's actually maybe a bit tricky, but it's easy enough to keep healed up. Just be patient, give it all you got, and you can win.

Everyone gets their shot at Naraku and he swears he'll be back.

Man, we really won Inuyasha. That's wild.

Well, let's go home.

Bum bum bum!

That's right, the game's not over just yet. The third act begins next time. (The third act is incredibly short.)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kind of anti-climatic for someone that can give Aizen a run for his money for bullshit reasons why he can't be beat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's too bad this is the last we see of Naraku. It's not like it would even make any sense if he did, right?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it's too bad this is the last we see of Naraku. It's not like it would even make any sense if he did, right?

It's one of the things I hate most about these anime licensed games. Everything has to remain roughly unchanged in the grand scheme.

It's like seeing a video of one of those big model train setups with the miniature countryside/towns and figures and everything, then being allowed to actually physically go there and play with it, except the person that brings you is like "You can move some of the figures around and make the train go slower or faster, but you're not allowed to touch any of the buildings or trees and you can't change the track in any way."

There are so many cool things you can do with a lot of these anime worlds in a game format, but the anime studio is always adamant that the overall story and characters remains set in stone. It's one of the things that ruined Dragonball Xenoverse.

The only licensed game like this I played where I remember being able to break the status quo a little bit was Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage. That game had a "Dreams" mode where all the characters had something of a mini "I'm the protagonist now" route.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's finished...I'm done.

Saturday. Two parts. Be there.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

It's finished...I'm done.

Saturday. Two parts. Be there.

Not like we've got anywhere to go. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems like forever since I've had a good sleep! And it looks like it's good weather today too! That's right! We destroyed Naraku!

We sure did. Something doesn't feel right, though...

Oh right, we're still in the past.

Kagome got a nice pretty kimono from Kaede. She seems to really be at home here, which makes sense since she's been here longer.

She must be looking forward to going back to her time.

Well, we should probably catch up with the others, too.

Inuyasha is making himself useful for once.

Kaede said I have to chop all the wood by the time she gets home.

He complains a bit, but he's still doing it. Looks like Inuyasha's finally found a place where he belongs.

And Shippo's got friends. I get enough kids at work, so I'll leave them be.

Wild idea: What if the Bone Eater's Well works now?

Oh, I uh, guess we didn't pick up the jewel shard. Oops. Well, I suppose we can just go back and

Who took the shard?

The name's Utsugi. A Shikigami master.

Ah jeez aw crap.

Kikyo figures it has something to do with us, which...probably.

I can't depend on them anymore. I have to do this on my own.

Yeah, this is firmly an Anime problem.

Aah gently caress

Miroku is packing his things to go back to his temple. Again, he's got his own stuff to worry about.

Well, that leaves one more person...

Sango...

So Kohaku is completely fine and once he recovers they'll be a family again.

Well, guess we should get going.

Yeah well, I don't wanna bug everyone else with my problem. But don't tell them I'm gone, they'll worry about me.

Well, Kasasagi Town is a big place. Maybe we'll get a lead there.

gently caress you.

Headman wants us to kill some demons for him. It's not gonna help us, but eh, we might as well.

Let's go find a demon.

That was easy.

I thought it was just a little demon, but it was surprisingly strong.

Ah drat.

poo poo, he's too swole...

The demon wants our blood! We need that!

Hooray! Wait, shut up.

Do you wanna hire a good Demon Slayer? I'll help you for free.

Long story short, power of friendship saves the day.

Why are they helping us? Naraku dead.

Does there need to be a reason?

So they're gonna stay in our party which makes sense because it'd be weird to spend the last two hours of the game alone.

But about this demon...

It's Naraku. Only very faintly, but this demon smells like Naraku!

Something's coming out of it!

I guess this thing was part Naraku. We let them know that Utusugi has the Shikon Jewel which frankly is probably something they should have known the whole time.

Well, we should at least let the headman know we did the thing.

We did the thing.

We get some money and Inuyasha goes on a weird tangent about accepting gratitude it doesn't loving matter this whole half hour of gameplay didn't matter.

So we figure we can ask people who had contact with Utsugi where Utsugi is, and the only one aside from us who has that we can ask is...

Koga! There was a whole optional event I did centered around Shippo but it's long, boring, and broke the flow.

I'ma save you about 10 minutes of nonsense and give you the only relevant dialogue box, there are demons all on Mount Houoh.

Oh it's the monk shack. Something's weird though.

There's a road just ahead!

Yes, but that road wasn't there before.

Maybe someone was hiding it behind a barrier.

Either someone broke in...or something broke out...

They look like effigies.

Are they hitogata?

Look at the face...?! Aaah!

What is it, Kagome?

Oh, well, wouldn't be the first thing that looks like me.

What is this?

Oh it stood up.

drat, these things could use Shikigami...

Could these be cursed? Like a mask could be?

We also got Anime's ultimate technique, Miracle of Light, which fully heals all living party members in exchange for all of her HP, which...Great River Blessing basically already does that for less energy and we get to stay alive so no thank you. The male Kururugi's version is a powerful attack which seems a bit more useful, especially if you're stocked up on revivals.

All the dolls in here have your face too.

So this must have been what the barrier was keeping in.

But the ones over there don't have faces yet.

Maybe they're not finished yet. Some of them don't have legs or arms yet either.

Shippo worries about if these ones will attack and I think he's overreacting.

gently caress.

Second verse same as the first.

If that's the case, there must be something ahead. There's a strange smell coming from ahead.

Well, let's follow our noses.

Yes it is. It has a very different energy from all the other villages.

Well, let's just ask this dude where we are. Weird that there's a village behind a barrier.

Hey, where is this?

Shigezo: What did you say? Did you come from the other side of the valley?

Yes we did.

Shigezo: It's been years since anybody's come here from the other side of the valley.

Never mind that, just tell us where we are.

Wait wha

Wait! Did you say Kururugi?

That's MY name! This is weird...

Let's go talk to the people. Over on the right is a shop where we stock up, but on the left...

Huh? I don't believe I've ever met you before.

Omitsu: That's not true. You were going to the valley the other day and I warned you to be careful. You wouldn't listen to me and kept on going anyway.

Must have been Utsugi...

And this lady scolds her son for going into the valley where the hitogata are. We talk to her and she says that the village priest has put a seal on the road so that the hitogata don't git people.

Otaki: Yes, the priest of the Kururugi Shrine just ahead.

The Kururugi Shrine?

Wait...we're home.

Hearing about the Kururugi Shrine priest reminded me of my father.

Dad...

It's been a while now since you entered into this world.

It's probably been at least a couple months based on travel time alone. But hey, this is the closest we've gotten to a way home!

lately, I've been feeling more and more that I'd like to stay.

We have friends here! And...friends.

But, whatever. Let's go to the shrine.

It can't be. The Kururugi Shrine is exactly the same as the one in the present.

You mean this shrine?

Yes. Some of the details are a little different. But the location and almost everything else is the same.

This is all very nostalgic but unfortunately there's no one here.

Hey, there's a dude.

Excuse me, I'd like to ask you about the valley.

So this guy has a unique design, a sprite, and a portrait. You'd think he was important, right?

He basically ceases to exist after this one conversation. It's baffling.

Huh...I've seen you somewhere before.

Huh?

I think I met you somewhere a long time ago.

You probably just imagined it. This is my first time here.

Come to think of it, it couldn't have been that long about because you're only a child. I'm sorry about that. So, what can I help you with?

On our way here, we were chased by some Hitogata and the puppers looked exactly like me.

You were chased by Hitogata? Did you come through the valley to get here? I created a magical seao so that nobody could get in there, but someone must have broken that seal. Well, I'm glad you got through safely.

It was very difficult.

We would like to ask you more about the Hitogata.

I don't really know anything. I was told by the former priest that they were dangerous and to put up a magical seal to seal them away.

Is it possible for me to talk to the former priest?

Unfortunately, after telling me to create the seal, the predecessor left without saying anything. That was over 10 years ago.

I see. 10 years. That's a long time ago.

And with that, the priest gives one more regard to having met us before and has no more lines.

This guy gives us some unfunny "old man can't hear" nonsense before giving us the information we need. But he doesn't know where the priest is.

Hisa: But when the former priest was here...

She tells us the former priest was handsome and all the girls liked him. Not where he is though.

Oho?

You what

I can't believe the shrine's priest was Grandpa Kakuju!

Guess we gotta look for him. Wonder where he is.

Oh.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 28, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Kikyo figures it has something to do with us, which...probably.

UpFIp1Img008]

I can't depend on them anymore. I have to do this on my own.

Got a broken image tag here.

I didn't realize that FAnime has a different ultimate technique than MAnime. I figured they just had identical skill sets. Neat.

Although that technique is pretty garbage, so I guess not-neat. This is probably one of the few RPGs where a "sacrifice yourself to give a full heal to everyone else" skill would be pretty good (since you have like 6 people fighting at the same time), but if you have a slightly weaker version of the same skill already that doesn't have a sacrifice drawback, then there really is no reason to ever use the sacrifice version.

Also, even though Anime just had an entire thing about friendship and how everyone is there for her, she immediately forgets about all of that and just doesn't say anything to anyone about the possible trouble that's brewing.

Edit: Also also, now that I think about it, why exactly is everyone getting ready to pack up and head home? Miroku's Wind Tunnel should act as a sign that Naraku is not really dead.

Although, now that I think about it, there may have been some crap during the anime where it temporarily disappeared or something when he was weak... I can't remember.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 28, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
drat, someone went way overboard with their Anime figurine collection.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't doubt that there would be some point where Miracle of Light would noticeably outpace Great River Blessing, but it's sure not at the level we get it and I don't think it's at any level you'd get reasonably playing through the game.

That's the problem with healing skills as opposed to attack skills. You can always use more attack power, but at any point, healing kinda has a hard upper limit of utility and going above that is a waste.

E: I think the simple change of letting Miracle of Light revive dead party members along with the heal would have rocketed it up in usability.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 28, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Psycho Knight posted:

Edit: Also also, now that I think about it, why exactly is everyone getting ready to pack up and head home? Miroku's Wind Tunnel should act as a sign that Naraku is not really dead.

Although, now that I think about it, there may have been some crap during the anime where it temporarily disappeared or something when he was weak... I can't remember.

One of the movies definitely has them "defeat Naraku" at the beginning and Miroku's wind tunnel disappears as a sign that it's totally for real this time, but then after they defeat the movie-only villain, Naraku shows up like "HAHA FOOLED YOU SUCKERS" and the Wind Tunnel like, immediately comes back.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TwoPair posted:

One of the movies definitely has them "defeat Naraku" at the beginning and Miroku's wind tunnel disappears as a sign that it's totally for real this time, but then after they defeat the movie-only villain, Naraku shows up like "HAHA FOOLED YOU SUCKERS" and the Wind Tunnel like, immediately comes back.

So it was in the movies. Thanks, I thought I remembered something about that, but then I started thinking over the anime and didn't recall any times like that.

I completely forgot that there were Inuyasha movies, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I own three of them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Grandpa, we need to talk.

Kakuju, is it true that you used to be the Kururugi Shrine's former priest?

What? The Kururugi Shrine? Where did you hear that?

I heard it at the shrine. At the Kururugi Shrine.

You went to Kururugi Village? But there's supposed to be a seal that stops people from traveling into the valley. It can't be! Was the seal broken?

So you do know. Please tell us about the hitogata.

I don't know why you would want to know about that, but there's nothing to tell. You better be on your way.

What's wrong, Kakuju? Until now, you've told me so many things, like how to use Shikigami. Why is it so different all of a sudden?

What? U-Utsugi? Did you just say Utsugi?

Yes. It seems Utsugi is in Kururugi too.

Kakuju asks us to take him to Kururugi Village and that time is of the essence but it's gonna take like a week, right? The game is inconsistent about travel times sometimes.

Also it doesn't even have you do the world map, it just takes you there.

Wait a minute, Inuyasha!

Kakuju's old, so we gotta take it easy.

I'm sorry. But, why are you so desperate to go after Utsugi?

Well..Remember I told you that I came from a different world?

Yes, I remember.

It seems that Utsugi was the one that summoned me here. I don't know why, but the connection seems to be that I'm Utsugi's descendant.

What? You're Utsugi's descendant? That's...

What's wrong, Grandpa Kakuju?

Your face is completely white.

Well that's good.

It's...

AN ATTACK

GRANDPA NO

It's a giant hitogata!

This is the second to last fight in the entire game, folks.

And this is what we look like going into the endgame.

It's bad.

Don't talk right now, Kakuju. We're going to take care of you.

It's okay, just listen. Like you were saying, I was the priest of the Kururugi Shrine. I was living there, happily, with my wife. But when our son was born, and my wife died, I was so sad. I went to the valley and made a hitogata that looked like my wife. Using a secret are that came from the Kururugi Shrine, I breathed life into it.

That can't be!

Yeah, this sounds like the remnants of a possible planned original plot that could have been explored in the entire game and not sidelined into the last hour while the rest of the game was a boring safe Disney World ride through the IP, and that's not likely!

Yes. That is Utsugi.

So, are all the hitogata that we saw in the valley your failures?

Exactly.

Then why did you make a huge one.

How could you be happy with an imitation?

Good question, Inuyasha. Let me ask Kikyo.

Even though Utsugi was only a hitogata, she loved me. I began to despise the Utsugi that didn't age...I continued to get older, but she stayed the same.

How could you be so selfish?

Yes, it was selfish. But I didn't think that at the time. As I got older, it became very difficult for Utsugi in time. The villagers became increasingly suspicious of the ageless Utsugi. They said she was a demon because she never aged and they chased her out of the village.

Would have been nice to see all this and not just have it barfed up.

Kakuju, that's terrible!

Yes, it was. After a few years, I realized how selfish I had been, so...

So Kakuju went traveling to try to find her and apologize. Unfortunately, Utsugi got the idea to infuse a relative's soul into herself to be a real girl. This involved calling us from the future somehow and for some reason. This is also why she needed the Shikon Jewel. This is...presumably why she was working with Naraku?

I need you to do something for me. Please give this amulet to Utsugi. I think you have what it takes to help her see the wrongness of her ways.

Think there's another word you coulda used there?

So Kakuju touches our face against CDC recommendations, says we do in fact have Utsugi's face, and dies.

With a new goal, we have to move forward.

Well, actually, forward will get us back to Kururugi Village.

We have to go to the next screen, then go back to get back to the world map and the final area.

Utsugi, listen!

As long as I have your soul I can become human. And Kakuju will love me again. So give me your soul.

But that won't make you any more of a character!

No, Utsugi! Aaah!

If I have your soul, I can be human. Kakuju will...

drat, I'm dead.

Oh, I'm okay.

That's right, when I lost consciousness, the amulet...

Kakuju's amulet?

Yes. It got warm, and then...

The amulet protected you.

Why? Why can't I become a human?

Oh no! Utsugi!

Not that guy again!

That's Naraku's voice!

gently caress.

Ha ha ha...Did you really think you could destroy me?

SO APPARENTLY. Naraku LET us kill him so he could get Utsugi's power. Okay. Makese sense.

The final boss is Naraku again. You know, for being the big original antagonist of the game, we never actually fought Utsugi in a legitimate fight. Just a couple unwinnable battles. It just seems weird that they'd design these original characters, even going so far as to design two versions of each, and then just doing nothing with them. And it makes me sad, the story of Utsugi, Kakuju, and whatever cursed mask could have been an interesting story. But I guess it's not safe enough. What could have been.

Oh also this boss fight can actually be a bit tricky. Just keep at it, your biggest enemy is the tedium of how much HP he has.

Also my literal final significant input into the game is the co-op attack where Miroku touches Sango's butt and she gets so mad she tosses her boomerang real hard.

Seeya bitch.

We all get a little word in but..

Red blood? You've become human?

Using a secret power, Kakuju must have put his soul into the amulet.

Kakuju? I understand, Kakuju...Instead of taking your spirit, I took his soul. I can die as a human now. With the soul of the man I love. I'm happy now. Thank you.

Utsugi...

I have one last request. Please bury me in the Kururugi Cemetery.

After a little hemming and hawing from Anime...

We let her go.

Kakuju...I love you...

And as she dies, we're enveloped in light.

Is it because Utsugi's magic has disappeared?

Then you're going back to your time?

Everyone...

No! I don't want you to go!

You're here and gone in a moment's notice.

I hope you're happy, even in the present.

GIRL SHUT UP YOU CAN COME VISIT US

I am really glad I met you.

I won't forget you.

You'll come back again, won't you?

Thank you, everyone...I'm so happy I met all of you.

So if you had a romance, there'd be a little extra between you and yours and a declaration of love during the wipe, but not for friends.

Ending Movie

I already transcribed all this poo poo in the subtitles so I'm not gonna be exact here.

We're home!

We're really home!

This little girl asks if we're okay. We are, I think.

The Doll Festival of Wishes, right...that symbol...

The Shikigami!

The festival was started to honor Utsugi and Kakuju this whole time.

Well, RIP.

HEY WHO DID THAT?

Wait, Sango?

...As if.

Wonder how she's doing?

THE GAME IS OVER.

And so is the LP! Thank you everybody for following me through this dang ol' year and a half journey. I've wanted to LP this game for quite a while, and I'm finally glad to actually finish an LP again.

So this game, as I said, has been a long-standing guilty pleasure for me, but having to revisit the footage with a fine-toothed comb for the LP has definitely taken some of the sheen off. The inane writing is fine when I can just skip through it, but when I have to actually write every word down, yeesh. It's still a gem of my younger days that I hold in my heart. I just might....not come back to it again for a while.

As for what's next, work has already started on the next project, but it'll be a few months before I'm ready to start it. But rest assured, I will be back.

Maybe someday but not today.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Thanks for the LP. Like you, I also have a place in my heart for this game. It's a place that I keep separated from all the other places for fear that it may one day escape and make me believe that Inuyasha was the greatest thing I ever saw, but it's a place all the same.

As you said, the whole thing with Utsugi and Kakuju and the reanimation deal might have been fun it was the focus of the game. As it stands, it just seems to act like a last ditch throw to make the audience sympathetic to Utsugi and refocus hatred towards Naraku in order to return everything to the status quo.

The animated scenes they did for co-op attacks are still favourites of mine. I remember being so stoked about those when I first played this game. Even back in the day, having original animation for a tie-in game (that wasn't just an opening movie) was rare. I think maybe one of the Dragonball games did this at one point, but that's the only other one I can remember.

It's just too bad that the budget seems to have gone completely into those cutscenes, leaving none for the game itself.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

That certainly was an ending... And yeah, I guess I can see why rehashing stuff from the main story would be more marketable but the original story they have is actually kind of interesting. And the main inuyasha story is memetically dull and repetitive.

Also I get why they don't let girls date girls (or boys date boys I guess) but they should at least treat the friend endings as seriously.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1258956277050249216?s=20

I'm sorry for willing this into the world.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

That is the most fan-fiction rear end fan-fiction you could possibly come up with.

That said, the thing that shocks me the most is that it has taken this long for it to be created.

I look forward to the eventual video game tie-in and your LP of it. Like me and Conception, you are the "Inuyasha LP'er" now. It is your curse.

Edit: Thinking back on the series, who the gently caress did Sesshomaru... gently caress? Wasn't Kaguya his "love interest", up until she got Thanos snapped?

Oh christ, it wasn't Rin was it? Please tell me it wasn't Rin...

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 9, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's really only one other Inuyasha game that'd be worth LPing and hey, maybe.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Well I'd say "Maybe this time they'll do something with the whole time-travel thing!" but we all know that ain't gonna happen. Same with "Maybe they'll do something more with Kagome's family other than occasional gags!" Well, I mean I guess they have to do something with her kids/nieces since they're staring, but that's it.

Psycho Knight posted:

Edit: Thinking back on the series, who the gently caress did Sesshomaru... gently caress? Wasn't Kaguya his "love interest", up until she got Thanos snapped?

Oh christ, it wasn't Rin was it? Please tell me it wasn't Rin...
With the odd Japanese trope of a guy raising his future wife? You know very well it was Rin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this honestly (not am I sure why they’re suddenly reviving the Inuyasha series all of a sudden), but it’s possible this could be interesting.

Is Rumiko Takahashi involved with this new project at all?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Edvarius posted:

Well I'd say "Maybe this time they'll do something with the whole time-travel thing!" but we all know that ain't gonna happen. Same with "Maybe they'll do something more with Kagome's family other than occasional gags!" Well, I mean I guess they have to do something with her kids/nieces since they're staring, but that's it.

They won't do poo poo with Kagome's family. That whole "one sister goes to present day Japan" thing will probably be a flashback or Episode 1 cold open and then all we'll get from Kagome's family are gag scenes.

Edvarius posted:

With the odd Japanese trope of a guy raising his future wife? You know very well it was Rin.

:negative: It's soooo creepy.

Larryb posted:

I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this honestly (not am I sure why they’re suddenly reviving the Inuyasha series all of a sudden), but it’s possible this could be interesting.

Is Rumiko Takahashi involved with this new project at all?

I had the same reaction. Obviously I no longer hold a candle for Inuyasha, because exiting the teenage stage of my life has allowed me to realize how goofy and stupid the series was. That said, it was still a huge part of my life way back when and was one of the series that acted as a pillar of my anime fandom at the time. Hell, I loved Secret of the Cursed Mask when I first got it. I thought this game was great.

But that series took an eternity to finally drag itself to the finish line, and not in the way that One Piece or Naruto or Bleach does. Takahasi had to come back to this with the sole intention of finally closing it out. That seems like the kind of thing where you're relieved that it got an ending and then you close the door and finally walk away. So why bring this back? The only guess I have is that maybe Sunrise saw the building trend in anime of "children sequels" like Boruto and figured that Inuyasha was ripe for cashing in.

As for Takahashi, she apparently did the character designs, but that seems to be it. Teruo Sato is directing and Katsuyuki Sumisawa is doing screenplay. Takahashi is quoted saying “The three heroines are beautifully designed. I am looking forward to their adventures”, so it kind of sounds like she isn’t sure where this series is going.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 9, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We don’t have a start date for this yet do we?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The release window we have is Fall 2020 in some format and I believe Takahashi is involved, though probably not in an extensive way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

But that series took an eternity to finally drag itself to the finish line, and not in the way that One Piece or Naruto or Bleach does. Takahasi had to come back to this with the sole intention of finally closing it out. That seems like the kind of thing where you're relieved that it got an ending and then you close the door and finally walk away. So why bring this back? The only guess I have is that maybe Sunrise saw the building trend in anime of "children sequels" like Boruto and figured that Inuyasha was ripe for cashing in.

As for Takahashi, she apparently did the character designs, but that seems to be it. Teruo Sato is directing and Katsuyuki Sumisawa is doing screenplay. Takahashi is quoted saying “The three heroines are beautifully designed. I am looking forward to their adventures”, so it kind of sounds like she isn’t sure where this series is going.

Wait, what other “children sequels” have there been? The only one I can think of is Boruto.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Not recent, but Eureka Seven AO happened. God knows I wish it didn't, but it's out there.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Larryb posted:

Wait, what other “children sequels” have there been? The only one I can think of is Boruto.

At the risk of further derailing the thread that’s already finished:

On top of Eureka Seven, as TwoPair mentioned (which, unfortunately yes, is not great): Shaman King, Sailor Moon, and Robotech have done it.

More recently, Yo-kai Watch also did it (somehow), along with Spice & Wolf and Major (which is probably the closest to the Inuyasha example as that manga was from the 90s while the sequel came 25 years later). I seem to recall hearing that Highschool DxD had something with the children of the main cast, but I don’t know if that was a separate series or just DBZ-style time traval shenanigans.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Honestly, the fact that all three main characters are girls (the one in the suit is sesshomaru's other daughter [they're twins] who fell into a timeslip and was raised in the present by kagome's little brother) and don't seem to be exact clones of their parents has me at least slightly curious how this will go, which is way better than I would have expected from "InuYasha Sequel."

Also "Halfbreed Demon Princesses" is a badass show name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of hope Miroku and Sango’s kids show up in this eventually as well.

Are most of the actors on the Japanese side of the series still available/alive to reprise their roles if needed?