Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

not a bot posted:

The only issue about "exploring" the map is that it is the same small town you slowly wander across each day and the only "exploration" is finding where NPCs are

Which is why it hits home for a lot of people who know small towns. It's like real life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

not a bot posted:

The only issue about "exploring" the map is that it is the same small town you slowly wander across each day and the only "exploration" is finding where NPCs are
Thats kinda the point tho? Like you're meant to build familiarity with the town and its residents and feel confined by it. I get its not everyones jam but its very good at what it does.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Neither BOXBOY! + BOXGIRL! nor The Stretchers have been on sale yet
Boxboy would be worth it at 75% off.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

SelenicMartian posted:

Boxboy would be worth it at 75% off.

Aw man. :(

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I pretty sure someone was saying in this thread that they couldn't find a switch. But there's like 200 posts a day and I can't keep up. Hopefully this helps you random maybe hypothetical goon.

Copied from the deals thread:

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Can someone with a Japanese Nintendo account also be part of my family plan? I'm a US citizen.

Idia fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a reboot, so most of the cool poo poo from the 3DS games is gone, and also it has noticeable loading times

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I've got American and European accounts on the same plan without problems. I'm guessing Japan would work, too.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Just finished Doom 64, drat that final level was crazy. Playing through this and OG Doom on the Switch only makes me wish more classic FPS were ported. Seeing games like Blood and SiN go on sale on Steam, I'd much rather play them on Switch for sure. Duke Nukem coming eventually is good to hear though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s Night in The woods ?

best adventure game i've ever played. and i've played a lot

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished Doom 64, drat that final level was crazy. Playing through this and OG Doom on the Switch only makes me wish more classic FPS were ported. Seeing games like Blood and SiN go on sale on Steam, I'd much rather play them on Switch for sure. Duke Nukem coming eventually is good to hear though.

Do you think a modern shooter could be made in that style? Like how Shovel Knight is an 8-bit platformer without the bullshit?

I say that because I've really enjoyed Doom 1+2 probably because of the focus on strafing and the lack of a y-axis, and all the auto-aim. It's also far faster than any shooter I've ever played.

I imagine the new Dooms have that but they also seem like more modern FPS games than old-school Doom from what I've seen in trailers and other videos.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do you think a modern shooter could be made in that style? Like how Shovel Knight is an 8-bit platformer without the bullshit?

I say that because I've really enjoyed Doom 1+2 probably because of the focus on strafing and the lack of a y-axis, and all the auto-aim. It's also far faster than any shooter I've ever played.

I imagine the new Dooms have that but they also seem like more modern FPS games than old-school Doom from what I've seen in trailers and other videos.

There have been quite a few attempts in recent years, some better than others. Games like Wrath: Aeon of Ruin and Ion Fury look awesome, and are supposed to be coming to the Switch at some point.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

there are like a zillion player-made add-ons for doom and doom 2 that are basically completely new games. the "no rest for the living" add-on that comes with doom 2 on switch is a good one. the best stuff is on pc though. grab GZDoom and load the doom 1 and 2 wads into it, then go wild. off the top of my head i'd recommend Knee-Deep in ZDoom and Ultimate Torment & Torture (hard!)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Social Animal posted:

I'm jelly cause after like ten runs I was pretty over it. I think what annoyed me was the gun rotation like a lot of them aren't fun to use especially the charging ones. Maybe I'll revisit it this weekend. For now though I got Arms and boy is that game chill as gently caress. I was doing the non-ranked online and it's cool how it just randomly takes people in the lobby and just throws them into all sorts of different game modes.

Has anyone purchased One Step From Eden? I played the demo and it was pretty fun, still thinking about grabbing it.

I bought it. I'm enjoying it a lot, but I was a big Mega Man Battle Network fan from back in the day. The game is fast, feels good to play, and stays interesting. It has two major flaws:

First, the writing is horrible. There's not much of it but it's really bad. Half the cards are dumb nerd jokes (I've counted three competitive Smash Melee references so far) and the flavor text is incredibly lame. It makes Dead Cells look like Proust.

Second, it's hard as balls. I think this comes down to how fast the game is; since it's so quick, if you don't know the enemy patterns you're going to get destroyed. It's kind of like Crypt of the Necrodancer in that way, except that the Necrodancer developers realized their game was hard and added lots of meta progression to ease you into it, so it wasn't a problem.

But the upside is that the game is genuinely fun and I think it's going to be rewarding to get good at.

e: Apparently a patch is coming to make the game easier.

nrook fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 28, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I loved Night in the Woods but go into it knowing that it's not an adventure game like the trailers make it look, it's a visual novel where you have manual control of your character. I was disappointed at first but liked the writing enough that I stuck with it and ended up really enjoying it, but if visual novels aren't your cup of tea at all you're going to be left going "Where's the game??"

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Yo, Ring Fit Adventure just had a major update, there's a rhythm mode where you can now exercise to music from a couple of Nintendo games, and maybe the most important update of all in this, you can finally jog without having to fight monsters, a free running mode!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I liked Night in the Woods enough to finish it despite disliking the core gameplay, but thought the ending undercut the story in a really disappointing way

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope the next big ringfit update is that it’s available in stores

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

morestuff posted:

I liked Night in the Woods enough to finish it despite disliking the core gameplay, but thought the ending undercut the story in a really disappointing way

It's been like 3 years since I played it so I hardly remember the exact details but yeah, I remember feeling very let down by the ending.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm playing MHGU and does anyone know what that glowing yellow sword under my health bar means? Im using the great sword if that makes a difference

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

I loved Night in the Woods but go into it knowing that it's not an adventure game like the trailers make it look, it's a visual novel where you have manual control of your character. I was disappointed at first but liked the writing enough that I stuck with it and ended up really enjoying it, but if visual novels aren't your cup of tea at all you're going to be left going "Where's the game??"

i don't like visual novels and the only similarity between them and nitw is that they're both dialogue heavy. night in the woods is a free-form exploratory platformer that has about as much in common with visual novels as the witcher 3

Weedle
May 31, 2006

also the ending owned

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

hatty posted:

I hope the next big ringfit update is that it’s available in stores

For once I'm glad I got in on it early.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Kvlt! posted:

I'm playing MHGU and does anyone know what that glowing yellow sword under my health bar means? Im using the great sword if that makes a difference

That's your weapon sharpness and it increases your weapon damage and armor penetration. If it turns orange, use a whetstone to sharpen your weapon and get it back up. Upgraded weapons will have different better colors at maximum sharpness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Weedle posted:

i don't like visual novels and the only similarity between them and nitw is that they're both dialogue heavy. night in the woods is a free-form exploratory platformer that has about as much in common with visual novels as the witcher 3

The Witcher 3 is also basically a visual novel, or at least would be improved as one because the combat blows

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gaffle posted:

That's your weapon sharpness and it increases your weapon damage and armor penetration. If it turns orange, use a whetstone to sharpen your weapon and get it back up. Upgraded weapons will have different better colors at maximum sharpness.

Thank you!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The "modern game in that style" is basically doom levels, doom (2) has maybe the best level design community I've ever seen, to the point where id honestly recommend a new player skip doom 2's base campaign and just go full bore into scythe.wad or something

E) this is a fantastic long-form piece of some of the best doom level packs ever https://www.doomworld.com/25years/the-roots-of-doom-mapping/index/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There’s been quite a lot of retro FPS games recently but most of them try to be Quake-like rather than Doom. Doom already perfected that style on first shot and there’s so many wads so I see why no one bothers.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dusk on switch when!!!!!!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

dusk on switch when!!!!!!

They said it was coming but no date yet.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo Switch: all games are visual novels, all games suck

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Witcher 3 is also basically a visual novel, or at least would be improved as one because the combat blows

:wrong:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Oh man, Podracer ruled my youth. A bit afraid I've got rose tinted glasses and its going to have aged terribly, but should be fun

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Oh man, Podracer ruled my youth. A bit afraid I've got rose tinted glasses and its going to have aged terribly, but should be fun

I never owned it but I did play it A LOT at JC Penney's. Why they had a N64 in a clothing store is not a question I ever asked myself. It felt like I would be tempting the gods to take it away.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I have good news for you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Any suggestions for good video games to work with?

I've noticed for example that Sword and Shield is a fantastic game to play while correcting papers. The online is so freaking slow that between every option you take during a raid you've got loads of time to do menial labor. The action you take then is brain-dead since you already what attack you'll be doing for the rest of the battle. The only thing that takes time is finding another raid, either from moving around in the Wild area, or by re-loading stamps, but that doesn't take all that much time in the end.

Normally these would be black marks against Pokémon, which genuinely has pretty crappy online, but it's working to my benefit while I work anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Slay the Spire is good for a “one for them, one for me” workflow

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

BisterdDave posted:

If you have a hacked Switch you can enjoy popular engine ports for Doom, Quake and Half-Life. I have QuakeSpasm installed on my Switch, though I haven't had the time to actually try it out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kvlt! posted:

The colored outline around the weapon is its sharpness, which dictates whether an attack will succeed or bounce off of a particular monster (part). Say a monster has a fleshy body but a face covered in bone, a green-level sharpness may let you attack the body, but will bounce off of the face (unless you break the face!) This attack success also varies by weapon type, and is just some logic you get the feel of whenever learning a new weapon. An orange-level hammer may still connect hits to that same boney face while your green-level sword bounces, because hammer.

Sharpness goes from blue-white (good) down to orange/red (bad) and you want to keep it at least neutral or better whenever you can take a break to sharpen.

For some weapons, the weapon itself will change color under certain circumstances, like a charged state, or a different stance. I didn't use Great Sword much so I can't help specifically there, but check a guide out!

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I never owned it but I did play it A LOT at JC Penney's. Why they had a N64 in a clothing store is not a question I ever asked myself. It felt like I would be tempting the gods to take it away.

Keeping bored kids occupied, probably?