Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm torn. Do I out PB on the top of the bread and Jam on the bottom or the other way around

Live dangerously: put the PB on the bottom and the jam on the top, and then turn the sandwich upside down just before you eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
On a lighter note, three roommates from Barcelona have been doing cool little songs about it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd0cN9HZIK8

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I don't really understand the last page or so. Quarantineing New York is about the smartest thing you can do right now. Is there something I'm missing besides it's trump so it's bad?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nurge posted:

I don't really understand the last page or so. Quarantineing New York is about the smartest thing you can do right now. Is there something I'm missing besides it's trump so it's bad?

People spent a lot of time complaining about those fleeing NYC for other states and spreading the disease :shrug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nurge posted:

He should also quarantine Florida. Everybody else besides the states he listed, which are essentially NY colonies, can probably skate by.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nurge posted:

Cuomo specifically asked for help and Trump say "Nah, you're asking for too much"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Nurge posted:

I dunno quarantining an island with an infectious disease and not providing any additional medical support seem bad idea territory.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nurge posted:

You dont publicly announce a quarantine before you enact one because that just means everyone flees, making it pointless.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I dunno quarantining an island with an infectious disease and not providing any additional medical support seem bad idea territory.

Well if you put it that way, but I assume shipments of goods would continue as usual, and you would actually give them support. Quarantines on large cities has been happening worldwide and it seems to be a decent idea to avoid overloading rural healthcare systems.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/TomNovelly/status/1243960846625234946

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

You dont publicly announce a quarantine before you enact one because that just means everyone flees, making it pointless.

Seemed to work fine in Finland just today when Uusimaa was quarantined from the rest of Finland, which was well known beforehand.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Andrast posted:

Seemed to work fine in Finland just today when Uusimaa was quarantined from the rest of Finland, which was well known beforehand.

Finnish citizens are handling this poo poo way differently and theres already different cultural norms Re: distancing that im not sure thats a fair comparison.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

You clearly can't fault "Folly Beach" for false advertising, at least.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Clyburn's Folly Beach

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Apparently it’s because our dipshit maga chud AG said the orders were unconstitutional and unenforceable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Finnish citizens are handling this poo poo way differently and theres already different cultural norms Re: distancing that im not sure thats a fair comparison.

Sounds like it's a good time for Americans to learn some new cultural norms

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Fallom posted:

Sounds like it's a good time for Americans to learn some new cultural norms

Yup, but not gonna happen unless this ends up with culturally traumatizing amounts of death.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly people trying to "flee" NYC is causing a lot of Long Island and also surrounding states to have bigger outbreaks. I can't tell how true that is. Maybe people are going to live with family out of state. Maybe richer people are going to their summer homes in eastern Long Island and bringing the virus with them - where by the way, hospital capacity is much lower. But I don't think the average person living in NYC has much opportunity or choice to do anything other than stay put, but I could be wrong.

Quarantining Manhattan and allowing travel out only for necessary things might help? But only if enough supplies are getting in, otherwise the island is going to resemble that Batman movie a few days in.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nurge posted:

Putting in place travel restrictions on a regional or even national scale might be helpful. Doing it on a county-by-county scale, in an explicitly partisan way, without any local buy-in, is just blatantly stupid and ineffective. Republicans are just continuing to ignore all the experts.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Conte Is still speaking, but the gist of it is that Italy has just launched a series of maneuvers (that should all be active before April 15th) for €25 billions to support people affected by covid-19 - through additional economic support to people who have lost their jobs, food stamps, medical care expenses, dole, etc.

€4.5 billions have already been sent to the municipalities to start.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

Supposedly people trying to "flee" NYC is causing a lot of Long Island and also surrounding states to have bigger outbreaks. I can't tell how true that is. Maybe people are going to live with family out of state. Maybe richer people are going to their summer homes in eastern Long Island and bringing the virus with them - where by the way, hospital capacity is much lower. But I don't think the average person living in NYC has much opportunity or choice to do anything other than stay put, but I could be wrong.

Quarantining Manhattan and allowing travel out only for necessary things might help? But only if enough supplies are getting in, otherwise the island is going to resemble that Batman movie a few days in.

Yeah, in the UK there were absolutely rich people fleeing from cities to their second homes in nice rural areas (that don't have the infrastructure to support them living there or getting ill there in the current situation) since with hotels closing, there's nowhere for people to go who don't already have somewhere nice to run to.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Are the forums infected??

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
how precisely does he plan to quarantine 8.5 million people

and how loving illegal would it be

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he sounds like he is just talking out his rear end and hoping it works.

Have you never heard trump talk ever before this or?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

jet sanchEz posted:

UK health minister says that less than 20 000 deaths from covid 19 would mean "we will have done very well"

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems like it would be a pretty good bit of news? It's much less than some of the predictions that came out previously, and from what I've googled the UK averages like 17k deaths a year from the flu(and has had as much as 28k in a year in the last decade).

I mean I don't know how political the UK's medical infrastructure has gotten either, but it's possible that's not an estimate, but rather expectation-setting?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Unoriginal Name posted:

how precisely does he plan to quarantine 8.5 million people

and how loving illegal would it be

i was of the understanding it was pretty illegal, but ianal.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Nurge posted:

It's further loving over New York while not actually dealing with the problem.

And probably making it worse by inciting New Yorkers to flee now.

It's already spread everywhere so it's just useless at best.

You need nationwide shelter in place instead (forbid all non-essential travel, close all non-essential shops, and unsafe businesses) to slow the spread the virus.

Singling out New York is just Trump trying to deflect from his abject failure by stigmatising and punishing "New York liberals"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems like it would be a pretty good bit of news? It's much less than some of the predictions that came out previously, and from what I've googled the UK averages like 17k deaths a year from the flu(and has had as much as 28k in a year in the last decade).

I mean I don't know how political the UK's medical infrastructure has gotten either, but it's possible that's not an estimate, but rather expectation-setting?

It's a massively optimistic estimate. The UK was extremely late in their response.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Deviant posted:

i was of the understanding it was pretty illegal, but ianal.

It's completely and explicitly legal. Governments have been quarantining people since forever. Maintaining public health and safety is one of the fundamental roles of government.

I have no idea where this idea is coming from that it's somehow illegal.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CSM posted:

It's further loving over New York while not actually dealing with the problem.

And probably making it worse by inciting New Yorkers to flee now.

It's already spread everywhere so it's just useless at best.

You need nationwide shelter in place instead (forbid all non-essential travel, close all non-essential shops, and unsafe businesses) to slow the spread the virus.

Singling out New York is just Trump trying to deflect from his abject failure by stigmatising and punishing "New York liberals"

It's the biggest concentration of infected people in the country no? Quarantining it seems completely sensible to me to slow the rate of spread, and like I said before preventing rural healthcare systems from getting overloaded with people loving off to wherever. This is the explanation for pretty much most western countries doing it, so again it seems like the best thing to do from where I'm standing.

Isolating large cities from the rest of the country helps control the spread.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Announcing a quarantine of New York was about the stupidest thing Trump's done, and boy howdy that's saying something.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Deteriorata posted:

It's completely and explicitly legal. Governments have been quarantining people since forever. Maintaining public health and safety is one of the fundamental roles of government.

I have no idea where this idea is coming from that it's somehow illegal.

Is it legal for the federal government to do it rather than a state government? It may have historically happened but I’m not aware of a case.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Nurge posted:

It's the biggest concentration of infected people in the country no? Quarantining it seems completely sensible to me to slow the rate of spread, and like I said before preventing rural healthcare systems from getting overloaded with people loving off to wherever. This is the explanation for pretty much most western countries doing it, so again it seems like the best thing to do from where I'm standing.
People who want to flee New York will do so in the coming hours/days.

It has the exact opposite effect.

It's what Italy did with Lombardy and it was a disaster.

It's the strategy you follow when a virus hasn't spread yet. It's too late now.

It's also a measure you don't talk about beforehand, or you render it useless.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mod sassinator posted:

It's also a great and prudent time to get used to an intermittent fasting lifestyle now. Eat once or twice a day, zero snacks inbetween meals. You'll feel so much happier and probably lose some weight and save money not buying snack foods anymore. Lean Gains is a great resource for fasting + HIT.

lol "just stop enjoying food, embrace permanent gray austerity"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CSM posted:

With the added kicker that, you know, news of the quarantine were leaked to the press hours before it took place, instead of being tweeted by the President days ahead.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CSM posted:

It's the strategy you follow when a virus hasn't spread yet. It's too late now.

It's also a measure you don't talk about beforehand, or you render it useless.

I don't know. I'm not an epidomologist, but if most countries dealing with this poo poo are doing the same thing I'm going to have to actually assume that it's the right thing to do. I guess we'll see.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh yeah I've been meaning to ask, those models that suggest "well maybe we can "open things up" for a few weeks and then clamp back down", are they taking into account the likelihood that a lot of cooped up people are going to rush to be around each other again and deliberately seek out as much human contact as they can before they're put back in time-out?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh yeah I've been meaning to ask, those models that suggest "well maybe we can "open things up" for a few weeks and then clamp back down", are they taking into account the likelihood that a lot of cooped up people are going to rush to be around each other again and deliberately seek out as much human contact as they can before they're put back in time-out?

Would you be eager to go lick all your friends right after hell virus lockdown was lifted? A few people would but I don't think that's most people. There'd be a ramp up over time.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

It’s going to hit down here really bad, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They are probably assuming that safety measures like plexiglass walls for cashiers, reduced occupancy levels, and enforced distancing will remain in place. They’re perfectly sustainable measures so I don’t see why not.

Personally, if I’m told to go back to work you can god drat bet I won’t be shaking anybody’s hand anymore.