Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

They said they didn't want to change 1-30 + gear score because "that was the experience people paid for" but it was more likely that it was just technically easier to make 31-40 separate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Has it always been that? GS only determining probability of rolling the same equipment? I could swear the World Tier climb had a more consistent increase in ability to handle the new Black Tusk things than could be explained by rolls and not increasing higher bounds.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Blind Duke posted:

Has it always been that? GS only determining probability of rolling the same equipment? I could swear the World Tier climb had a more consistent increase in ability to handle the new Black Tusk things than could be explained by rolls and not increasing higher bounds.

Prior to WONY, gear score was definitely not indicative of actual gear quality. It was more of a measure of potential, as in GS500 gear had higher potential rolls than lower GS pieces, but because of the attribute proportioning system that was in place it was impossible to get every attribute to the maximum value on a single piece. It is true, however, that WT1 gear was weaker than WT5 gear in all aspects, and that was what we meant by getting rid of the world tiers and rebalancing the gear.

What Gear Score should always be is a measure of how close to the maximum rolls a gear piece is. GS515 gear should be a god rolled piece of gear because every attribute is maxed, regardless of what the attributes actually are (skill damage, hazard protection, etc.). That was not the case in before WONY and it was a source of huge frustration for anyone who wanted a GS500 piece to be guaranteed better than a GS450 piece.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Played a little since the difficulty retuning and while it's still a little too slow to take down yellows (solo, challenging) it's at least playable.

Still bouncing between builds, looking for something that feels good instead of just serviceable. Right now it's an M1A (any specific variant, btw?) all red cores, and the perfect glass cannon chest piece. Technician spec, healing drone and revive hive. I think my backpack might be perfect clutch, but that matters less now that I'm using a low RPM weapon and therefore not critting every half a second. Any suggestion for a replacement talent?

I'd love to go back to a skill build and was half considering the mortar turret thing, although I think I have all of three points in Demolitionist. Other than that, how are solo skill builds these days? Did the radius change to seeker mines make them usable again?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Imo for targeted loot farming open world seems to be the best. You get a bunch of drops, and a targeted reward for doing all the events, and CP4s with two named (if they're hostile), and the CP4 reward chest... I got 2 Pestilence within an hour last night on heroic just running around doing poo poo and one of them came from a shooting range reward. It's a lot more fun than chaining the same mission with the same spawns over and over and over.

I also have a theory that exotics will drop in incremental improvements until you end up with a god roll. I've gotten like 5 or 6 Pestilence now and every single one has been an ever so slight 1-2% improvement over the last for weapon damage. I'll keep farming and see if I get more to compare.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Hakarne posted:

I also have a theory that exotics will drop in incremental improvements until you end up with a god roll. I've gotten like 5 or 6 Pestilence now and every single one has been an ever so slight 1-2% improvement over the last for weapon damage. I'll keep farming and see if I get more to compare.

My nine acostas go bags disagree

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Today was a truly magical day of grinding. What started as a solo pestilence farm run at 6am slowly mirphed into a raid group that wrapped up at 2:30pm.

I was farming dz south and came across a group of chill dudes who were farming, eventually some guys came along to pvp and talk some poo poo so i helped out and eventually wound up in the chill group. One of them dropped a Pestilence for me which was awesome and then we kept farming for a couple hours. Eventually we started pvp'ing with a new 4 man group that seemed chill and eventually we started running checkpoints with them. After a bit we decided to just run the raid since we already had an 8 man group together.

This was actually my first raid so I was pretty excited, I mostly ran heals which I was pretty decent at. We got through boomer and weasel without issue, nearly quit on buddy and lucy, and finally tapped out at razorback since a lot of our members had been on the grind since the previous night. We're probably gonna wind up joining the same clan and getting a regular raid group together.

This was all just something that organically fell into place and that's a very rare experience in division 2.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Why do I keep instantly dying with full armor in the opening of FEB? There is an attack I can’t see that’s going straight to health. I thought it was some kinda bullshit invisible poison clouds from grenades but now it’s definitely come from a melee attack and a single bullet.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also now that I have my pestilence my patriot tank build just needs contractors gloves to be complete. The pestilence is so fun with true patriot. Debuffs for everyone.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Hyperactive posted:

Why do I keep instantly dying with full armor in the opening of FEB? There is an attack I can’t see that’s going straight to health. I thought it was some kinda bullshit invisible poison clouds from grenades but now it’s definitely come from a melee attack and a single bullet.

Rushers can throw poison knives at you and then you die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

Those guys are the start are not outcasts but underground scavengers. Their rusher unit (marked with a lightning bolt) can both throw a or stab you with a poison knife and if you don’t have any hazard protection you’ll die.

Their grenadiers can also throw poison grenades.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Two chameleons within an hour but I haven't been able to find an Acosta bag since launch.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Digital Osmosis posted:

Played a little since the difficulty retuning and while it's still a little too slow to take down yellows (solo, challenging) it's at least playable.

Still bouncing between builds, looking for something that feels good instead of just serviceable. Right now it's an M1A (any specific variant, btw?) all red cores, and the perfect glass cannon chest piece. Technician spec, healing drone and revive hive. I think my backpack might be perfect clutch, but that matters less now that I'm using a low RPM weapon and therefore not critting every half a second. Any suggestion for a replacement talent?

I'd love to go back to a skill build and was half considering the mortar turret thing, although I think I have all of three points in Demolitionist. Other than that, how are solo skill builds these days? Did the radius change to seeker mines make them usable again?
For your backpack you want either Vigilance or Unstoppable Force, or at the very least Composure ( you're going to be hugging cover anyways, why not get 15% extra damage for it ). It's hard to be enthusiastic about any of the health gain talents on your backpack and I personally run Sharpshooter spec ( for the flashbangs, headshot damage bonus & breath control ).

Solo Skill builds in Heroic have a couple of issues and aren't helped by the recent changes. The first issue is survivability. Any shooty or tanky solo build is taking a Revive Hive ( although I gotta say, NPCs aren't so shy about killing my revive hive these days - like I'm talking 3 times out of 5 I don't get the revive because they keep shooting my corpse ) and if you're going all in on Skills this isn't an option. There's too much bullshit that goes on to say the answer here is to "Git Gud" because you'll be constantly harassed, flanked, taking damage while behind cover, being flushed out by multiple grenades and charged by rushers so you're going to get frustrated a lot with the restarting Heroic missions from the start or respawning to Safehouses in the open world because a fairly basic Hostage rescue went tits up because a door opened behind you and bad guys clown car'd out. You can still do damage, but the AI will not ignore your cool toys and I can't say that I've noticed the Seekers being more responsive post change. Solo missions are more manageable than open world activities, you run a mission enough times that you know the doors and the triggers and you can anticipate the next wave ( hammer bros still gently caress me up ) but open world stuff is way unpredictable ( Don't get me wrong, 3 way faction battles are cool as hell but are over quickly for you if you get caught out with nowhere to run ). I have 2 different skill builds I swap between but they're pretty much for group play or solo challenging ( I dropped to challenging for my Polarity event runs ). I used to run a Hardwired build ( before they fixed it as it turns out ), but I definitely recommend going a 6 piece HE build instead, I think the 4 extra stat rolls is better than the Hardwired bonus and I run Skilled on my chest and either Tech Support or Creeping death on my backpack.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
Go figure, after getting this thing that I didn't really want out of the exotic chest,

I then go to farm for something I do want and I get this gem.

:shepicide:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Don't feel too bad, it's trash even with a god roll

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

magiccarpet posted:

Two chameleons within an hour but I haven't been able to find an Acosta bag since launch.

i’d happily trade, i just give them away now.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I did some LMG farming today

Open world heroic rocks for farming exotics. Still didn't get a god roll Pestilence but I did get some better than what I started with!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Digital Osmosis posted:

I can run heroic missions solo with a sniper turret and second skill dependent on how I feel. Seekers are very rarely the thing that goes in that slot. Black Tusk always goes emp pulse. You just kinda be slow and methodical unless you roll with shield/turret. Challenge is more fun? I can twoshot heavies, including Riker heavies through their shield. The sniper turret looks like it bypasses heavy shields, but not the shields that outcast and cleaner rushers have, unless you manually aim it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fureil posted:

Go figure, after getting this thing that I didn't really want out of the exotic chest,

nerdz posted:

Don't feel too bad, it's trash even with a god roll

I made the build this guy has in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUWvhxf7vO4

And while it's not the most optimized, I was able to clear challenging missions which had been a struggle up till now. I haven't tried heroic or DZ stuff yet.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Fureil posted:

I then go to farm for something I do want and I get this gem.

:shepicide:

Godrolled skill tier roll, not bad.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm super new to the Division. I got the expansion and I'm just stuck on the Dragov fight and really not enjoying it much (and I've heard the Keener fight is even worse). Is there any way to go back to DC?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Comrade_Robot posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm super new to the Division. I got the expansion and I'm just stuck on the Dragov fight and really not enjoying it much (and I've heard the Keener fight is even worse). Is there any way to go back to DC?
you have to finish the NYC campaign

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If you’re already at Dragov you’re kind of stuck there unless you back out of the whole mission but don’t forget that you can matchmake for basically everything. If you stop at the entrance of a mission it’ll pop up the menu so you can invite random people in to help.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm working on the Neptune manhunt and need to do bounties in a couple of the areas. How can I get bounties in a given area? Do I just need to matchmake bounties for a while and hope I get one in West End or Foggy Bottom?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Bold Robot posted:

I'm working on the Neptune manhunt and need to do bounties in a couple of the areas. How can I get bounties in a given area? Do I just need to matchmake bounties for a while and hope I get one in West End or Foggy Bottom?

In the map there's a Bounties tab. If you go there, then click on the region where you're to get the bounties, it'll give you actual targets that you select and then 'start' to hunt. They'll spawn at a random location and you go there and murder them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bold Robot posted:

Just go to the bounties tab on your map, then pick a bounty in the area you need to go to. You have the option to take a bounty AND matchmake for it at the same time if you wish.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Comrade_Robot posted:

Call for backup and/or bring a friend. There's no going back until it's done.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Comrade_Robot posted:

Match make or let us know what platform you’re on. Someone will come clear it for you.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks for the tips on bounties, that makes sense.

For the 4th-tier Gunner requirement to beat the boss at the Capitol without using an armor kit, does that mean I can't use an armor kit at any point during the mission, or just during the boss fight? I assume the strategy here is just take one of the healing skills and set the difficulty to normal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for the tips on bounties, that makes sense.

For the 4th-tier Gunner requirement to beat the boss at the Capitol without using an armor kit, does that mean I can't use an armor kit at any point during the mission, or just during the boss fight? I assume the strategy here is just take one of the healing skills and set the difficulty to normal.

Just during the boss fight.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My first raid yesterday was fun as hell, the next few raids were less so, one collapsed at buddy and lucy, one collapsed during weasel, one made it all the way to razorback and devolved into a big shouting match. They really captured the mmo raid atmosphere quite well.

I'm the dedicated healer usually so I can be asleep at the wheel and still perform very well so it's mostly stress free on my end. My healer build is also quite optimal with empathic resolve, safeguard, hard wired, and a shitload of repair skill godrolls which makes things a lot easier.

I've got the Boomer fight to the point where I can pretty much farm it as heals, and I'm quite confident in my Weasel fight as heals. Buddy and Lucy are annoying as hell and I often wind up going with my dps support build. Razorback I'm still not very confident on, but I know the basics at least and haven't hosed anything up too bad outside of accidentally leaving my plate once or twice.

It's pretty wild that I went from being intimidated and unwilling to try the raid to being on call as a healer all from a chance encounter of 8 people in the dark zone.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Godrolled skill tier roll, not bad.

Went back to farm some Wyvern gear, at least the glove drop is consistent for me.

Consistently awful that is.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005

After getting an absolute perfect Sacrifice chest piece this weekend, I put together the meta damage build and was underwhelmed. Enemies still didn't die fast enough before turning their guns on me, and I ended up once again hunkering down in cover counting down med-kits.

With the inspiration from nerdz (specifically his love of shields and pistols) I made some small modifications and created my bulwark shield/pistol dps build.

Combining the fact that on paper the 1911 is close to the DPS of the M1A, it also in practice comes with a huge increase in damage up-time; no longer do you have to cower in cover every time an enemy glances at you. With a 6 million armor shield you no longer get 2 shot from stray SMG shots from 50 m away and can actually stand and fight for some period of time thanks to the 100k/s armor regen. Thanks to the shield I also had high up-time on the Vigilance buff pushing my DPS even further.

With the build I was able to play the game tactically; I used EMP grenades on turrets, used real cover to give my shield time to regenerate, and was able to maneuver to avoid grenades and flanks without being instantly gibbed. I was also able to funnel enemies through choke points and blind corners with ease and force 1v1s which even against named enemies was a breeze thanks to the shield and high DPS.

The build is quite fun to play in heroic solo and group but also highlights the underlying systematic issues of the game.
1) Despite playing completely differently from most DPS builds, the build itself is depressingly the same. Contractor's Gloves, Fox's Prayers, The Sacrifice, Coyote's Mask, Vigilance - the only thing "non-meta" is the use of a Gila backpack which is being used because
2) Bulwark Shield is so strong. Even at skill tier 2, it provides 6 million armor and 100k armor regen/s increasing your survivability drastically. This is important because
3) Using the cover system is a trap. Oddly this concept will be familiar to XCOM veterans: much of the battlefields in Division 2 is strewn with "half-cover." While Division 2 encourages you to use half cover, they are in fact death traps. You can be easily damaged by enemy fire while using half cover, and become the frequent target of grenade attacks and rushers.
4) Most of the build was from drops in Heroic...for a Heroic build. Yeah.

Here's a clip of me taking down a named Cleaner tank:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/578455787

Olds fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 30, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Man, Pestilence with Ongoing Directive 4 piece with Trauma Chest Piece and Wicked Backpack is killer. Running with a Stinger Hive and it's Bleed Proc everywhere. You can use this with the named LMG from the Season track too, the one with Sadist.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've discovered that the most fun I have in this game is just wandering around the open world in NY climbing to rooftops and running into random named spawns

That was what I missed from the first game and they brought it back so that's rad. I also miss the underground but it doesnt seem like there is hope for that coming back

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've discovered that the most fun I have in this game is just wandering around the open world in NY climbing to rooftops and running into random named spawns

Couldn't agree more. I was on with a couple friends and we probably spent half an hour running around on rooftops finding gear/SHD cases and eventually went "wait, weren't we going to a mission?" It was real fun in a way that DC doesn't seem to capture.

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004
So i finished up the reverse polarity event this weekend. (Because I hate myself).
Fastest way to get the negativ polarity weakpoint kills I found was the two hallways before the boiler room in federal emergency bunker. The outcast suicide bombers there you just shoot in the chest, used the sniper special weapon to take out the two that spawns at the door in the first hall way with one shot. Then wipe in the boilerrom, rince and repeat.
If the RNG is good to you, you can take down around 5 each try, so still time consuming.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That was what I missed from the first game and they brought it back so that's rad. I also miss the underground but it doesnt seem like there is hope for that coming back

I haven't played the expansion, are you saying that the literal city underneath New York City doesn't feature prominently somehow

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

I haven't played the expansion, are you saying that the literal city underneath New York City doesn't feature prominently somehow
division 1 had an entire expansion/game mode called Underground with randomized subway levels and it's where Directives came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

docLeder posted:

So i finished up the reverse polarity event this weekend. (Because I hate myself).
Fastest way to get the negativ polarity weakpoint kills I found was the two hallways before the boiler room in federal emergency bunker. The outcast suicide bombers there you just shoot in the chest, used the sniper special weapon to take out the two that spawns at the door in the first hall way with one shot. Then wipe in the boilerrom, rince and repeat.
If the RNG is good to you, you can take down around 5 each try, so still time consuming.

I didn't bother doing that one at all because it seemed the biggest pain to do. You can get the backpack trophy by collecting all but 4 of the stars and that challenge was worth 4 stars itself.

If I learned anything from this it's to wait until the fourth day to start doing the challenges because most of them can be done concurrently so you'll save yourself a lot of time that way. From the summary of the next global event, it looks like getting headshot kills will be the only way to truly kill enemies so that'll be a bit of a pain.