Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Does anyone know if the Arrow C.H.U.D. Blu Ray has the incredible audio commentary track? I remember borrowing the DVD from the library like a decade ago solely to listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

drat I have CHUD on DVD and haven't listened to the commentary yet. Gonna fix that tonight!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Boinks posted:

drat I have CHUD on DVD and haven't listened to the commentary yet. Gonna fix that tonight!

Oh my god it's amazing. Basically just the cast and crew goofing on the movie for its entire length.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I can confirm that the old DVD commentary track is indeed on the Arrow disc.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

You should do a recount on the surviving Beatles.

Do you not count Pete Best?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ultraviolence123 posted:

I can confirm that the old DVD commentary track is indeed on the Arrow disc.

Hell yeah, gonna get that from the MVD sale.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Dead End Drive-In owns.

Also, if you're into historically relevant New Zealand cinema, get Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey, Vigil, Smash Palace and Sleeping Dogs. It's a shame The Quiet Earth isn't there, because that'll get you Arrow's entire NZ collection.

Navigator and Vigil were both directed by Vincent Ward, who went on to write the script for what Alien 3 ended up being based on (the Space Monastery idea), and he directed What Dreams May Come.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
HEY! Is anyone here in the Disney movie club?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, all three both surviving Beatles loving hate that movie, so we're frankly lucky they're willing to acquiesce to that.

I'm pretty sure McCartney stopped giving a poo poo a long time ago and he was the one who seemed to care the most. I've always thought the reputation of that movie is completely overblown. There's like one scene where George Harrison get annoyed. The rest of the time the worst thing that happens is they just seem tired.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

HEY! Is anyone here in the Disney movie club?

Yup, I am.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Egbert Souse posted:

Greed (Erich von Stroheim)

For me, it's the full 8-hour cut, or nothing.

Honestly, if time travel were to ever become a thing, it'll be the "lost" masterpieces that I'd be going around salvaging. Forget killing Hitler, there's about 40-minutes of The Magnificent Ambersons that needs saving!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Yup, I am.

Would you be willing to get me a copy of The Black Hole on blu-ray? The only way you can buy that is through the club. I'll pay for the movie and shipping or whatever.

edit: It obviously doesn't have to be right away what with there being a pandemic.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Would you be willing to get me a copy of The Black Hole on blu-ray? The only way you can buy that is through the club. I'll pay for the movie and shipping or whatever.

edit: It obviously doesn't have to be right away what with there being a pandemic.

Sent you a PM.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IUG posted:

Sent you a PM.

Thanks. :wink:

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

How many “white whales” are left?

The original 2hr 45min cut of Romero's Martin. There's still a chance whoever stole the only print from his car still has it in their shed right?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

aga. posted:

The original 2hr 45min cut of Romero's Martin. There's still a chance whoever stole the only print from his car still has it in their shed right?

They were talking about stuff that was released on VHS and then never again. But if we're doing lost poo poo, I'd say the concert footage from Devo's New Traditionalists tour that an insurance company confiscated and then destroyed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t remember which of you recommended Wings (1927) in this thread ages ago, but I finally watched it tonight and it was absolutely fantastic, so thank you.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure McCartney stopped giving a poo poo a long time ago and he was the one who seemed to care the most. I've always thought the reputation of that movie is completely overblown. There's like one scene where George Harrison get annoyed. The rest of the time the worst thing that happens is they just seem tired.

I really doubt it. Eight Days A Week was an obnoxious exercise in """"legacy preservation"""" so even if Let It Be does get released, it's going to be relegated to an expensive set that only die hards who already know what behind the scenes dickery was going on will get it. The Beatles benefit huuuugely from a squeaky clean public image.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t remember which of you recommended Wings (1927) in this thread ages ago, but I finally watched it tonight and it was absolutely fantastic, so thank you.

I think The Big Parade is a much better silent-era WWI film, but Wings is still a lot of fun. Also an A+ restoration by Paramount, complete with a re-recording of the original premiere score with the sound effects track re-created by Ben Burtt.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here’s the stats for Second Sight’s release of Dawn of the Dead. It’s region B, but the UHD option has discs 1-3 region free and only disc 4 is locked. Oct. 26

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

I think The Big Parade is a much better silent-era WWI film, but Wings is still a lot of fun. Also an A+ restoration by Paramount, complete with a re-recording of the original premiere score with the sound effects track re-created by Ben Burtt.

Yeah, the new score with Burtt fx is the version is watched. You must have recommended The Big Parade at the same time because I have that as well but haven’t watched it yet.

The one silver lining in this quarantine is that I’m finally sitting down to watch everything in my backlog that isn’t just mindless post-work popcorn.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, MVD has a flash sale on Arrow titles right now:
https://mvdshop.com/collections/arrow-video-flash-sale-up-to-80-off?fbclid=IwAR0XD3RGT53rCYXq0UQ1hvixvF5yf81PTcpXntSryIlzTJGCrKDsXdzowQY

Even have a coupon code to get free shipping if you spend at least $50.

Is this a reliable company/site? Because it looks sketch as hell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah MVD are fine, I used to get screeners from them all the time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Is this a reliable company/site? Because it looks sketch as hell.

Not just reliable, actual people running things. My last Arrow order from them was lost in transit and they immediately sent a replacement after I emailed.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Welp, retro tech youtubesman Techmoan has introduced me to a brave new world of physical media packaging. Perhaps it's the new wave of the future, soon to be picked up by criterion and shout and all them jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KlcwoEa04

Graphic design is left to be desired, but A+ idea and execution.

Who's up for buying The Lion King for the first time, now with added built-in screen?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That's just loving dumb and pointless and Tool did it first and I don't even like Tool...

(gets to the point in the video where they reveal they included a replacement shrinkwrap sticker inside the box)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I know that whenever I'm opening a blu ray case I say to myself "gee, I wish I could just watch this entire movie inside the case on a tiny screen with monaural audio". And I'd really like to watch it while I stand there at my media shelf for nearly two hours.

I guess it'd be cool for outside of the box as an alternative to lenticular covers. Like, you press a little button and it plays a long animation or a trailer or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

I know that whenever I'm opening a blu ray case I say to myself "gee, I wish I could just watch this entire movie inside the case on a tiny screen with monaural audio". And I'd really like to watch it while I stand there at my media shelf for nearly two hours.

I guess it'd be cool for outside of the box as an alternative to lenticular covers. Like, you press a little button and it plays a long animation or a trailer or something.

Trailers definitely make sense, but it's just a neat piece of tech that has no practical use.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll be the first in line to buy whatever Vinegar Syndrome puts this on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boycott Vinegar Syndrome until they make Tammy and the T-Rex viewable on the box for the movie.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
There's still 6 available for $79.00!

Plus shipping.

Honestly, that would be great for a John Waters collection. Don't know what, but it seems on brand for him. Maybe you just open it up and he starts laughing at you.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I would absolutely buy the poo poo out of a UHF Special Edition with that technology on the slipcover. It'd play random fake TV trailers and music videos and it'd be awesome.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Amazon has the 1932 Howard Hawks/Paul Muni version of Scarface on Blu for $10.50 right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Blu-ray-Paul-Muni/dp/B07YTDDKPW/

While not a full special edition, it has both the pre-release and post-code versions via seamless branching, plus the post-code ending viewable separately.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I saw a whole bunch of those video folder things at the doctor's office. The were promotional items for some kind of allergy medication.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, Amazon has the 1932 Howard Hawks/Paul Muni version of Scarface on Blu for $10.50 right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Scarface-Blu-ray-Paul-Muni/dp/B07YTDDKPW/

While not a full special edition, it has both the pre-release and post-code versions via seamless branching, plus the post-code ending viewable separately.

OH poo poo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Shout! Factory titles licensed from MGM are going out of print:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17484487&postcount=69313

Main ones are the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Road House, the Poltergiest sequels, and The Vincent Price Collection Vol. 3.

Their site does have a 15% off discount right now and free shipping on $50+

I'd advise that given that nearly all the titles going OOP over the last year or so are from MGM, I'd make it a priority to get anything licensed from them before they get scarce. That would include most United Artists films (Carrie, Road House, Invasion '78), American International (The Brain That Wouldn't Die, any 60s Corman), Cannon, Orion, etc.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 31, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

More Shout! Factory titles licensed from MGM are going out of print:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17484487&postcount=69313

Main ones are the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Road House, the Poltergiest sequels, and The Vincent Price Collection Vol. 3.

Their site does have a 15% off discount right now and free shipping on $50+

I'd advise that given that nearly all the titles going OOP over the last year or so are from MGM, I'd make it a priority to get anything licensed from them before they get scarce. That would include most United Artists films (Carrie, Road House, Invasion '78), American International (The Brain That Wouldn't Die, any 60s Corman), Cannon, Orion, etc.

When all this poo poo pops up for the extremely over inflated prices on ebay who the gently caress is paying that? It must be nice to be able to pay 50-80 bucks for a blu-ray.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

When all this poo poo pops up for the extremely over inflated prices on ebay who the gently caress is paying that? It must be nice to be able to pay 50-80 bucks for a blu-ray.
If it was something I really really loved and isn't likely to be reprinted I might spend $60ish bucks for it fully knowing that I got screwed. Not something I'd do more than once every few years, if that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Junk Food Dinner talked up Kenny and Company back in October, so I had the option of spending $50 for a used US DVD on ebay, or $50 importing a new blu-ray from Japan :shrug:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Send me your copy of Terrorvision.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone get any of the Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Bond collection

FoxRedeem.com