Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I have no attachment to Mass Effect, I played the demo of the second one I think? Just never found the time to get into it even though it seemed right up my alley, but I absorbed enough about those games through cultural osmosis to recognize when it's straight up being ripped off

like how am I supposed to take anything Chabon or anyone else who made this show says about it seriously? They had to have known what they were doing. I can't believe anybody at that level of the production actually cares about what they're making after having seen them pull that, and that's ignoring all the other problems the show has.

I used to say Picard at least started off ok but the more I think about it the more that was just wishful thinking/nostalgia on my part, and after seeing the ending I have no trust in the creative team to do better. That was a 10-hour Voyager fanfic from 2003 with a modest budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Somehow I get the feeling this was never actually meant to be a Star Trek series, and it was hastily rewritten over a few weekends to awkwardly shoehorn the Trek material in.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the ex-borg have no purpose in the show. it's like someone said 'wait, this is about picard? wasn't he a borg? we should put some borg in' and left the writers trying to figure out how to jam them in without disrupting the stupid plot they lifted from mass effect 3. oh, seven is going to highjack a cube? blow all the drones out the airlock, then crash it into the planet.

a show about ex-borg and having to come to terms for being a hated cog in the machine of a dead society could be incredible. instead, eh, mass effect.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
did seven of nine and raffi ever interact over the whole series? what the gently caress

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bargearse posted:

Somehow I get the feeling this was never actually meant to be a Star Trek series, and it was hastily rewritten over a few weekends to awkwardly shoehorn the Trek material in.

Same. It feels like it's "Trek Lip Service" and nothing more.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Blistex posted:

Try and write out the plot of Picard season 1 in a single sentence, without it sounding like a fanboy's shopping list of stupid ideas.

The show attempts to focus on an aging ex-hero diplomat, who sees the initial benevolent purposes of his beloved faction degrading, as he attempts to unify new allies, the ancient enemies causing the degradation, and a new complicated people, but fails to address any of those issues in any substantial detail and just comes across as lazy and vaguely racist.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 28, 2020

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Horizon Burning posted:

did seven of nine and raffi ever interact over the whole series? what the gently caress

No but it looks like it loving time for them.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Data turns into Palpatine right before he dies! Man that guy is everywhere now!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

drilldo squirt posted:

No but it looks like it loving time for them.

the voyager's EMH loses again

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I enjoy the scene where Picard was straddling that woman and repeatedly stabbing her in the throat (with some impressive gore effects) before looking directly into the camera and saying “This is the show we need in this age of Donald Trump.”

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Blistex posted:

Same. It feels like it's "Trek Lip Service" and nothing more.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying it well enough I guess, but there’s just so much weird poo poo that doesn’t quite gel.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think the problem with this show is it didn't have enough eyeballs getting pulled out.

Should have been a scene were everyone gets their eyeballs pulled out and they all run around the ship blind while Yakety Sax plays.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I have to admit I did like that final conversation between Picard and Data. I suppose Brent Spiner wouldn't have agreed to be involved if he didn't feel like they did the character justice

Or maybe he really needed the money.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Picard gets accosted by one of a plethora of Data's kids, then has to go meet a bunch of pointless characters with no depth before finding out the Reapers from Mass Effect hate robots a lot, so he has to become a robot while fighting Romulans because that's cheaper than writing an original story.
i just realised that even outside the story ME3 story, this series is just Picard gathering his bioware party and venturing forth.

this whole thing may be a partial adaptation of Michael Chabon's ME playthrough, or at least inspired by it. not a joke any more.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

i think there's supposed to have been a significant time gap between picard dying and being rezzed

at least star trek is really gay now which is good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bargearse posted:

I completely agree with this. They followed the Star Wars Disney playbook of just shoving in nostalgia and hoping that would be enough to trick people into thinking it was good. All this ends up doing is making the TNG cast that was stupid enough to sign up for this, look extremely bad and desperate. Judging by the TV IV thread, it actually worked.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the number of people who just want to see big budget versions of their Nerd Things is staggering.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I completely agree with this. They followed the Star Wars Disney playbook of just shoving in nostalgia and hoping that would be enough to trick people into thinking it was good.

And like the Disney Star Wars movies, when they try to do something new and interesting, and try to break away from the nostalgia or at least try to be creative with how they use it, the fans drat near riot and demand more mindless action strung together with empty nostalgia.

I said come in! posted:

All this ends up doing is making the TNG cast that was stupid enough to sign up for this, look extremely bad and desperate. Judging by the TV IV thread, it actually worked.

Data's appearances were the only ones that didn't feel like that. I feel like Brent Spiner was the only one who gave a poo poo.

edit: it's just such a frustrating show to watch. There are so many things to like about it but so many things that just take me right out of it. I just wish they'd pick any one of the universe-changing elements they introduced and just commit to it. Give me a show where robo-Picard has to unite the galaxy against the interdimensional space tentacles, and actually shake up the Trek universe a bit.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 28, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bistromatic posted:

That part does not bother me at all, if you accept that someone can essentially be both a computer program and a person then it's a small step to accept mind transfer. Hell, he never once doubted that the copy of Data running on that computer was in fact Data so it seems like a logical conclusion that he would also accept his own identity being preserved during a transfer.

What's hosed up is this whole "mortality is what gives live meaning" thing while standing in a town full of people who do not age. Or acting like your lovers life only gained meaning because he chose to commit suicide.

How about the distinction between dying of brain problems vs dying of some other part of your body giving out in a few years when both are equally avoidable now. Why is ten more years okay but not fifty? Why is it acceptable for Vulcans to live to 200 years but not for humans? Are Vulcan lives any less meaningful because they live longer? Are they gonna share this technology with the rest of the federation? Death by old age is now genuinely preventable, what are the moral implications of that?

robot bodies are lame. if picard wanted to he could have just rigged a transporter to turn him into a kid again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After finishing it, the ending was aggravating because I thought there *was* some decent stuff buried in it. Focusing on the redemption of a character making a choice for good is fine, it just comes off stupid when it's in the context of calling off a mystical galactocalypse. And Data finally dying wasn't all bad, there's some merit to the idea of a version of his consciousness having lived on and wanting to be finite, even if the exact setup wasn't great.
It's all context, everything good lost out by being stuck in a muddled, bombastic ripoff story. And the worst part, aside from any dramatic issues instantly bringing Picard back, it feels like a slap in the face to his character to just happily go on living a life extension in a robut body. I don't believe for a second TNG Picard would've gone for that, too say nothing of doing it without really exploring its relation to his time as a borg.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bargearse posted:

And like the Disney Star Wars movies, when they try to do something new and interesting, and try to break away from the nostalgia or at least try to be creative with how they use it, the fans drat near riot and demand more mindless action strung together with empty nostalgia.

There was nothing new or creative here.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I also don't find their argument for transferring Picard very compelling. If this was some sort of Ghost in the Shell "braincase" situation where they can put his organic brain in a cybernetic casing and transfer that to an android body, that's one thing. Just downloading memories into this existing artificial brain = Picard is dead and this thing is a copy of him.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

JazzFlight posted:

I also don't find their argument for transferring Picard very compelling. If this was some sort of Ghost in the Shell "braincase" situation where they can put his organic brain in a cybernetic casing and transfer that to an android body, that's one thing. Just downloading memories into this existing artificial brain = Picard is dead and this thing is a copy of him.

I'm pretty sure it was just an excuse to get rid of his space-alzheimer's so they don't have to bother thinking about it in season 2. There wasn't really any more thought put into it beyond that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

w0o0o0o posted:

I'm pretty sure it was just an excuse to get rid of his space-alzheimer's so they don't have to bother thinking about it in season 2. There wasn't really any more thought put into it beyond that.

Which is stupid because he didn't have space Alzheimer's before this show.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Tighclops posted:

There was nothing new or creative here.

Well yeah, that was kind of my point.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Which is stupid because he didn't have space Alzheimer's before this show.

IIRC he had some kind of degenerative dementia in the TNG finale, but that got retconned into "brain abnormality" for picard.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

w0o0o0o posted:

IIRC he had some kind of degenerative dementia in the TNG finale, but that got retconned into "brain abnormality" for picard.

Irumodic Syndrome

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Picard and stupid doctor lady should have just gotten blown up in the spaceship, echoing Data's death via fiery explosion.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Also I don't trust those loving easily manipulated synths with their magic technology and super powers, lock them all up imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The extent of why people like Picard is because mean starfleet lady said a swear at Picard.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Also I don't trust those loving easily manipulated synths with their magic technology and super powers, lock them all up imo

to be fair that's like every 2nd or so civilisation they encounter. star trek universe is terrifying, it's full of godlike super beings and mentally deranged energy blobs.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Q should have just showed up and antagonized Picard for the last 15 minutes before the show abruptly ends and nothing gets resolved.

Better yet, the Q are the Reapers and just laugh that anybody went through the trouble to find them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

War Wizard posted:

Better yet, the Q are the Reapers and just laugh that anybody went through the trouble to find them.

We've been here all along. We told you exactly what we were doing 30 years ago and you didn't listen, Jean Luc.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Torquemada posted:

There’s no coincidence that the only person I know who likes this pile of poo poo also likes Star Citizen.

Just quoting myself because he phoned me up after the final ep to tell me I was right and the finale had made him realise the whole thing was trash. I did not say ‘I told you so’. Out loud, anyway.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Episode was dog poo poo - give Picard a send off and leave it there, don't loving bring him back seconds later.

The Data scene was good and seeing Riker in command was the first time in the entire 10 episodes it felt like loving Star Trek.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Duckula posted:

The Data scene was good and seeing Riker in command was the first time in the entire 10 episodes it felt like loving Star Trek.

A CD rom game cut scene viewed in high def before being compressed down, packed and sold as a sequel to "Experience Bij: The Game".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
An aging Jonathan Frakes sits in a hastily repurposed Discovery set, in front of a green screen, with no one else in the shot.

The most Star Trek thing that happened in Picard.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

A CD rom game cut scene viewed in high def before being compressed down, packed and sold as a sequel to "Experience Bij: The Game".

At this point I'd be ecstatic if they re-edited the Borg game that starred Q into a movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bargearse posted:

I have to admit I did like that final conversation between Picard and Data. I suppose Brent Spiner wouldn't have agreed to be involved if he didn't feel like they did the character justice

Or maybe he really needed the money.

Spiner really, really loves money.

I mean, really loves it, even though he hasn't needed to work for 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The second season of discovery was B+, and some of the pike focused episodes were up there with golden age trek (really, they're quite good, they're just new, look at how expensive they look!) This show is like sherlock season 4 levels of tragedy.
People are sick of 10 episode long "prestige" arcs and want episodic content again.
Frakes and Spiner were really good in their roles! Great star trek level melodrama and broadness.
There's a lot bad here: the dialogue, the direction, the whole style.
It looks gross. In TNG, humans in the 24th (!) century acted almost like aliens. That distance was good for recontextualizing anxieties that people had circa 1992.
Man this is some dumb rear end junk. Holy crap can you remember back to undiscovered country, when star trek was doing a nuanced take on the collapse of the Soviet union.