Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
AR chambered in .223 seems like an odd choice yeah; traditional bolt fudd gun has nice power/range/accuracy/ergo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

current wfh status: in final negotiations to retrieve my office chair. apparently I have to remove my shoes and use the disgusting foot wash before entering the building.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would like to own a lever-action rifle, because i just think that's a cool mechanism and my grandpa had one for deer. but i don't particularly want to kill anything and i can live without target shooting so it would just be a hazard with no upside.

still a really cool action though. click clunk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

i would like to own a lever-action rifle, because i just think that's a cool mechanism and my grandpa had one for deer. but i don't particularly want to kill anything and i can live without target shooting so it would just be a hazard with no upside.

still a really cool action though. click clunk

you'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

holy poo poo I have a 12 gauge a .22 rifle and a 303 rifle

I have no idea what they are who made them or any loving lore behind them all I know is

I point at lovely birds with the 12

I point the .22 at rabbits and possums

I point the 303 at larger animals or possums that really piss me off

I have no interest in fantasising over these simple and lovely devices other than trigger trigger makes sticky sticky go boom boom

I was no going to queue for hours at the hunting and fishing store for ammo because I have maybe 100 of .22 maybe 50 odd of 303 and a couple of boxes of 12 if I need more than that during the lockdown then I need some mental health treatment

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I own a CZ bolt action .22 and it's very needs suiting against criminal bottles and cans that dare trespass on my property.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

is an ar15 overkill? i’ve never seen one irl

it's underkill. 5.56 may maim it enough that it eventually dies but it's going to cover a far greater distance in the meantime vs a .30-06 which will ensure it makes it 30 ft tops if not dropping dead immediately

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it's underkill. 5.56 may maim it enough that it eventually dies but it's going to cover a far greater distance in the meantime vs a .30-06 which will ensure it makes it 30 ft tops if not dropping dead immediately

yeah ive seen a deer run after losing a leg, so please get something that will knock them down. don’t hunt deer with .223/5.56.

you also don’t want your potential kill to cross property lines, especially if the land you hunt is relatively small.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Obviously he should go pick up a Remington 700 in .300 RUM

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

probably sufficient for my needs but it’s also a whole new set of habits which is taking a little bit of time

like I have these perspex face masks that spray painters use, they’re great but also intimidating, and that’s the weird bridge to cross ya know, we’re still a business that needs people to want to visit

yeah there's gonna be some adjustments to cultural norms for sure. saw a number of people wearing masks today, i'll probably be wearing them too soon enough (assuming i can get something not completely crap in a timely fashion). not n95, all those need to go straight to hospitals and such. but it seems that everyone wearing even reusable fabric masks is not a bad idea. who cares if it isn't 100% effective, it's still better than nothing and anything that can help is good.

don't let discomfort like that prevent you from keeping yourself safe

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

current wfh status: in final negotiations to retrieve my office chair. apparently I have to remove my shoes and use the disgusting foot wash before entering the building.

...can you not do something like just drive to the building, call someone inside to wheel the chair to the door, and take it from there? :confused:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh uh covid quarantine status: did a zoom session with a bunch of friends, streamed some Jackbox games

if ya'll aren't already doing something like this, loving get on that. talk to people, maintain your sanity as best you can

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Most people would consider it underkill because its made for killing people and deer are quite a bit larger. You really don't want to injure a deer and have it get away.
I thought the cool kids get .330 BLK conversions for their AR.

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh uh covid quarantine status: did a zoom session with a bunch of friends, streamed some Jackbox games

if ya'll aren't already doing something like this, loving get on that. talk to people, maintain your sanity as best you can

did a practice session with the jack box host, so am I really supposed to recommend friends get headphones for their sound? it seems like really the best way to do it. any tips would be appreciated.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

AR chambered in .223 seems like an odd choice yeah; traditional bolt fudd gun has nice power/range/accuracy/ergo :shrug:

Yeah i just got my promotion/raise and i have a retro pay check from jan 1st so uh im doing ok. I might pick up a savage .308 and get ready to blast poo poo

Salt Fish posted:

I own a CZ bolt action .22 and it's very needs suiting against criminal bottles and cans that dare trespass on my property.

one of my dream guns is a CZ .17 HMR that can't kill anything* but will punch paper at 4000 feet per second. so dumb and fun

*of course it can kill things but you know what i mean

Sagebrush posted:

i would like to own a lever-action rifle

one of my favorite neglected gun archetypes is the "brooklyn scout rifle", named after the urban area they became popular because semiautos were banned in NYC

lever gun, pistol scope, go

c q s: been watching the beatport show on twitch and it's been so good the whole time. umek, teebee, oakenfold, now junior sanchez

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I'm no hunter but I thought you could get some hotted up version of 5.56 that was appropriate for deer?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Asleep Style posted:

I'm no hunter but I thought you could get some hotted up version of 5.56 that was appropriate for deer?

5.56/.223 is pretty industry standard but wildcats exist for literally every cartridge

you might be thinking of 300 blackout, which is a super flavor-of-the-month caliber. it's 7.62mm (so AK caliber bullets, bigger) but a shorter cartridge so it can be fed into a standard AR mechanism with standard mags. So much so that everybody that builds a .300 blk rifle puts big red warning stickers on their mags so they don't accidentally load a 300 BLK mag into a 5.56 AR (this is DOOM)

The other big thing about 300 blackout is that they manufacture subsonic rounds for it, so you can build an AR with a quiet can on the end and go click click click but because the bullet has higher mass, it still has plenty of energy even when it's subsonic

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of my old roommates liked to user .17 HMR for spotlighting raccoons :smith:

.300 blackout is the west realizing the AK was good

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whats the best pistol caliber carbine?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a 10/22 :haw:

I have seen some strange normally pistol cartridge chambered rifles over time; like some otherwise fudd looking number that was .45 ACP for some reason

are they still trying to sell prettied-up BARs?

EDIT: yes -- https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/current-production.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Salt Fish posted:

ruger PC carbine. the v2 is incredibly fallout

five hundred bucks, takes glock mags, looks like you're a desert raider that puts up with no bullshit

yes it's a rechambered 10/22 but thats a good thing

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Disgusting. What about something that looks like a gun and not a tactical robot dong.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

five hundred bucks, takes glock mags, looks like you're a desert raider that puts up with no bullshit

firearms companies will never cease to amaze in their ability to create just the stupidest things :allears:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that thing loving owns. a rifle that's good to 100 yards with tons of hooks to strap stupid poo poo on, and its ammo is 15 cents a round.

the whole reason we moved from "large accurate rifle" to "flexible carbine" is that studies showed that spray and pray waves of oncoming gunfire were more effective at suppressing attackers over a lower volume of aimed shots

tldr people are scared of bullets, the more you can sling per second the more likely it is that you win the war

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

It looks like a render of a gun from a mod that's like 2% complete

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

winchester 1894 carbine in .45 colt so you can use the same bullet in your rifle and your six-gun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

winchester 1894 carbine in .45 colt so you can use the same bullet in your rifle and your six-gun

my biggest MISS in gun land was not picking up a cx4 storm when they were still in production

they take the same mags as my pistol. they're now a million dollars

and yes that is the battlestar galactica gun

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember seeing one on consignment for pretty cheap because nobody wanted that gun

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one neat thing about it is that it's 100% ambidextrous. if you want to set it up to eject left and have a left side charging handle cause you're a tactical operator, it's ready to go

also everybody dremels that dumb front sight off and puts a red dot on it so

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I live pretty close to the local rod&gun and sometimes it crosses my mind that maybe I should get guns again but then again that's probably a bad idea and also my wife would hate it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's a very personal decison and I will never drag anybody for choosing to not have firearms in their home.

That being said, I sleep with my AR15 these days (no i do not gently caress it, no holes are big enough) and my sick rear end 9mm is on the nightstand

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol we're all gonna die but all i want is to take a half dozen raiding desperate nazis down with me

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
walked down to the expensive white people grocery store cuz its super nice outside, they have a sign at the entrance saying "wear a mask. also if you have a quarantine bracelet GTFO and we're gonna call the cops on your dumbass"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
preppier guns have gone even more crazy expensive I see; I thought it was bad before:eyepop:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Salt Fish posted:

Disgusting.

it's a wood stock and a snail mag away from a ppsh, you oaf.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

all my guns are childhood gifts from my very-much-a-gun-enthusiast dad, and so they live at my folks place 1500 miles away. it's great because I don't have to deal with having them in my apartment, plus i get to feel superior to other gun owners both because I don't have any guns in my house _and_ because I have more (and cooler) guns than they do. when the last part isn't true I fall back to the first, I can't lose!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

lol we're all gonna die but all i want is to take a half dozen raiding desperate nazis down with me

if you end up shooting anyone your probably just going to shoot yourself

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

if you end up shooting anyone your probably just going to shoot yourself

nah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

hopefully finish fast enough that I can get home and have time to drop a few tabs and play on my synthesiser all afternoon

why didn't someone say dont do this lmao

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

why didn't someone say dont do this lmao

sorry i did not want to be a oval office

this thread is getting quite wild, sadbrains should not be mixed with gun chat imo

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also we just walked past an ambulance getting someone from across the street, can confirm the doctors are fully suited up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Hed posted:

did a practice session with the jack box host, so am I really supposed to recommend friends get headphones for their sound? it seems like really the best way to do it. any tips would be appreciated.

that's what I thought but I was the only one with a headset. one of my friends had a Bluetooth speakerphone thing, the rest just used the built in mic and speakers on their laptops. no issues, worked fine! we used zoom, worked very well, no major latency issues either.

the one thing which can get a little fucky is audio for the host. you've got to turn your system volume up enough so everyone else can hear the game, but that was way too loud for me. luckily my cheap rear end no-name chinese headset has an in-line volume control so with a little finessing of that and the windows volume mixer thing I was able to find a happy medium.