Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are they your best friend?
Hell YEAH! We ride together, we die together, BFFs for LYFE
Nope, I have a best friend, and I have them, and the love I feel is different for both
Kinda, I'm not really sure I can put words to it.
Goku pants
View Results

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So I got into it with a coworker when I said that my wife isn't my best friend. I explained that I love my wife more than anybody in the world, which means my relationship with her is fundamentally different than that of a friend, best or otherwise. I further pointed out that I did not want to share a bed with or sleep with any of my best friends, unlike how I feel about romantic partners. So what do you guys think? Is your spouse/partner/boytoy/galpal a friend, something more, or a mix of both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’d say that my wife is indeed my best friend.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I dont want a husband; i want a partner in crime.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yep.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kinda rude to call your wife your Sex Orifice, OP

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Yes sorry about your marriage

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
she’s a brick house

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
yes op she's the best

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Yea she rules

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Kind-of-ish. Like, in friend rankings she's at the least the number two spot and on a good day easily a dead heat for best friendo to the endo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It goes

1) Wife
2) Best Friend
3 thru 999999999999) People I tolerate

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Who What Now posted:

It goes

1) Wife
2) Best Friend
3 thru 999999999999) People I tolerate

Where are you getting the extra ~992,000,000,000 friends

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I am friends to all of God's creations

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yes, op.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

kazr posted:

Yes sorry about your marriage

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

She and I met each other while organizing a local Occupy chapter.
We dated through the aftermath and became soul mates through the Quebec student strike of 2012 while chased by riot police, dodging flash bang grenades and producing propaganda videos together that have amassed millions of views and founding an indepedent media that's still alive and well and has since moved mountains, literally, in so many ways, including getting a corrupt mayor overthrown.
8 years later we're a couple for life no matter what, now going through a zombie movie together.

Now fully expecting to go through a real life star wars movie together.

Glad you asked! Thanks for the reminder.

She's my best friend, partner in crime, lover, sexer in chief and everything else I could ask for. Bring on the apocalypse, I'm living through it with my favorite human.

e: sorry Burt for the politics. :( Please don't ban.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 29, 2020

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.
My SO is like a friend that doesn't share my interests, references, worldview, values or political views.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I don't have an so, op. Well I did but it didn't turn out so well

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am legally obligated to respond yes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My wife and I don't share every single interest, for example she doesn't share my love for tabletop RPGs and I don't share her love for sewing and small crafts. We have best friends for those things.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why would you need to share every interest with a best friend?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You don't. Best friends are for the interests we don't share with each other.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does your wife know she isn’t your best friend? Please don’t bring it up unless you already have

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Who What Now posted:

So I got into it with a coworker when I said that my wife isn't my best friend. I explained that I love my wife more than anybody in the world, which means my relationship with her is fundamentally different than that of a friend, best or otherwise. I further pointed out that I did not want to share a bed with or sleep with any of my best friends, unlike how I feel about romantic partners. So what do you guys think? Is your spouse/partner/boytoy/galpal a friend, something more, or a mix of both?

I had an ex who was my best friend. When we broke up I was super hosed up because I lost not only the woman I was planning on marrying but the person I trusted the most in my life.

Taught me not to put all my emotional eggs in one basket.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gridlocked posted:

I had an ex who was my best friend. When we broke up I was super hosed up because I lost not only the woman I was planning on marrying but the person I trusted the most in my life.

Taught me not to put all my emotional eggs in one basket.

Hello me

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

realbez posted:

Does your wife know she isn’t your best friend? Please don’t bring it up unless you already have

Of course, she knows who my best friend is and enjoys their company too.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

She was one of my best friends. I had others.

I feel that people are different enough that it doesn't make much sense to have a single "best" friend, but instead several close friends who compliment you in different ways.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I would say your best friend is probably the person you want to voluntarily spend the most time with. Could be just a friend, could be family, hell could be a colleague if you're both workaholics and married to your job, but if you do have a romantic partner it's kind of weird it wouldn't be them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
How long have you been married to her OP?

My answer yes, after 15 years it kind of just happens. From my pov (and others, it seems) I'd be concerned about your marriage.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
In the r/relationships thread we're seeing an upswing in couples that can't stand being quarantined together because somehow I guess they just both individually decided that they needed to have a romantic partner to share rent with and occasionally gently caress but they didn't actually need to like that person or spend time outside of that with. Now that they seemingly have to spend time together they have realized they in fact don't like each other.

I imagine they wouldn't call each other best friends either OP.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
goku pants only has 12% of the vote, i'm loving disgusted

what has this dead gay forum become

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we were best friends before we started dating and we're best friends now, however making the leaps from platonic bff to bangin' to married were pretty loving terrifying because of all the horror stories we've heard about this sort of thing, we leaned pretty heavily on each other during bad times before we started dating and it would have been catastrophic if we threw that friendship away but somehow it worked out good

sucks we're in the apocalypse now but I couldn't think of a better person to be careening face-first into the abyss with

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah, thinking about it more I'd say a better way to put it is that no one person can satisfy all of your needs, and it's healthy to have close friends besides your partner, but if there was one friend that you'd want to get stuck in quarantine and face the end of the world with it had better be your SO.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
She touches my penis the most often so yes. My doctor is a close second best friend.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Loden Taylor posted:

Yeah, thinking about it more I'd say a better way to put it is that no one person can satisfy all of your needs, and it's healthy to have close friends besides your partner, but if there was one friend that you'd want to get stuck in quarantine and face the end of the world with it had better be your SO.

Yeah, I think I'm just using best friend in a way different to most other people. Obviously the person I have the most in common with and want to spend the most time with is my SO. But I don't want to spend 24/7/365 with her, and she doesn't want that either, we're still two separate people. So if I'm not spending time with her my next choice is probably going to be the person I call my best friend.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My wife is absolutely my best friend and also one of my only friends. The fact that we can't be compelled to testify against each other is just icing on a sweet sweet cake.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
How straight

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What's a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007