Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Carlos has pretty common hair.

It’s crafted weirdly but it is pretty common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Seems to me that "incredibly stylized and dumb-looking" translates to "doesn't look like something real people wear" pretty much 1:1, but I know better than to keep arguing about it when goons have decided that this is something they want to dig in their heels about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean isn’t that exactly what your doing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Seems to me that "incredibly stylized and dumb-looking" translates to "doesn't look like something real people wear" pretty much 1:1, but I know better than to keep arguing about it when goons have decided that this is something they want to dig in their heels about.

Uh. Have you ever met real people? Because "incredibly stylized and dumb looking" describes a whole lot of fashion.

It's also weird that you are going "GOONS dig in their heels" when that is exactly what you're doing?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I can't believe you're all talking about his loving hair like it's a major point of the game or something :stonk:

Edit:
Holy poo poo I just realised we're going to get a Special Guest Appearance from Barry loving Burton in this new engine. Or the lower half of his face at least.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
You're all going to look real silly when he pulls an important item out of his hair during a critical moment in the plot

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A Bystander posted:

You're all going to look real silly when he pulls an important item out of his hair during a critical moment in the plot

I'm hoping nemesis goes for a rocket launcher headshot on him which narrowly misses, blasting a perfectly circular hole in his hair from which a tiny bird pops up and looks to the camera saying "it's a living"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The mastermind in RE Resistence mentions Dr. Wesker. So far this is really fun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Disposable Scud posted:

What's his hair look like?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

It's Alex Wesker, not Albert. She's one of the anounced Masterminds.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ImpAtom posted:

It's Alex Wesker, not Albert. She's one of the anounced Masterminds.

ohhhhhhh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

Your argument sounds closer to "This doesn't conform to my perception of what hair is supposed to look like" though. Carlos just looks like someone of mixed heritage, which would not be unusual for someone from South America. His hair is basically just a less curly afro.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I actually am bored enough to give Resistence a try but they seem to have pulled it from Steam and the PS store to solve some game connectivity issues, annoying.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It's not necessarily his hair style but he looks like he has another head on top of his head that actually has the shaggy hair

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Resident Evil Megathread: Come for the zombies, stay for the hair care tips

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just realized that with this game coming out soon and Half-Life Alyx having just released we're getting two games this year about a biracial action heroine whoopin' rear end in an apocalyptic shithole and coming out on top. Just what the doctor ordered.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Jill has an identity beyond "American woman with gun"?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

Shoulder-pad enthusiast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tank top enthusiast

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats an anime tank top, you'll never find one like that in real life

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My wife and I have been re-playing many an RE game lately and just realized neither of us had touched 6 at any point since the demo years ago. I have it on PS4 because I got some RE bundle at some point so figured okay how bad can this game REALLY be and like, god drat, it's pretty bad. It's just so weirdly brainless compared to other RE games in the main series. And I don't mean that from the emphasis on action and QTEs but like, the way you can't look at lots of stuff in the environment to get little descriptions of things, the lack of files to pick up. We went with Leon's campaign first since I remember people saying that one in general was best but it becomes a weird Left 4 Dead clone 1/3 of the way into it? Like you really can feel how this was multiple teams' stuff getting jammed together. Why is this a dumb action game where you slide and run around a lot to melee hordes of zombies but also if you want to heal yourself you have to, pick up an herb, select the herb, combine it with other herbs, and then transfer it to tablet case, exit that menu, and then press a button solely devoted to using herbs to use it?

The damage feels really hard to read because of that unless your health is in the red so it shows up on screen constantly, like in one part of the game it was like anything touched my character at all it was a hard knockdown and I had to wait to get revived no matter how much I healed? They made something way worse than "FINE/CAUTION/DANGER" which was fine as it was. Like why even have health at that point. Just an all around bad job of conveying information.

It's just crazy how slick and polished the game seems on the surface vs. how unpolished it feels to actually play and interact with.

I know I'm not saying anything new here but folks really weren't exaggerating. The melee moves are a lot of fun but that's like all the game has going for it.

To make sure I wasn't crazy I re-started RE5, game I previously considered to be bad, for a little bit after and that game is crazy intense in comparison to 6.

Vakal posted:

Shoulder-pad enthusiast.

Maybe she was just a big fan of Area 51, the arcade game that came out like half a year before Resident Evil 1 and yet............

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 29, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Andrigaar posted:

There were press releases about the original PSX RE that described Jill as an American of French and Japanese descent. Her mother was a nikkei.

That seems to have quietly been abandoned since they decided to use Julia Voth as her face model back in 2001, but "Jill is Eurasian" is one of those bits of obscure, questionable canon that's never quite left the community conversation.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 29, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why do the Japanese always make things based in America? Re has been all over the fuckin globe by now but ain't poo poo gone down in Tokyo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PunkBoy posted:

Carlos's hair is heavily stylized, but it's not some kind of strange concept :shrug:

I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't have a mixed drink costume now.

His hair doesn't look like any of those people; he looks like Michael Angelo Batio's wig with a slight Jheri Curl.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

codo27 posted:

Why do the Japanese always make things based in America? Re has been all over the fuckin globe by now but ain't poo poo gone down in Tokyo

It's easier to explain piles of heavy artillery laying around on the streets when the game takes place in America.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My first play through with RE6 was Leon's campaign as Helena and I got stuck in a room with no ammo kicking zombies as the AI Leon fought the boss. It was real hard to think positive about the game after that. I gave up entirely while lost in the snow while playing as Sherry, i think.

I hope we get more Sherry in future games. Maybe she and Moira can partner up. They can have conversations about Claire, and also compare dads.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

I mean there are an incredible amount of Japanese games set in Japan.

And as far as RE games go the ones set in America are... RE 1-3/Outbreaks (which are all set in the exact same town during the exact same situation) and RE7.

RE:CV is France -> Weird Island -> Antarctica
RE4 is NotSpain
RE5 is Africa
RE6 has part of one character's story taking place in America but then moves over to China pretty quickly. Most of the story is elsewhere.
Survivor/REv2 are island based
REv1 is either on a cruise liner or near a fictional island-city.

Raccoon City was chosen because the original RE games were pretty heavily inspired by Romero's films.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 29, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

codo27 posted:

With RE in particular, it's because the games are extensively based on American movies. Shinji Mikami is an enormous film geek, so as ImpAtom noted, the first few games are heavily inspired by the original Romero "Dead Trilogy," and RE4 has the same basic cinematography as a Lucio Fulci zombie flick. There's actually a sequence in Code Veronica that's basically a shot-for-shot remake of a scene from Return of the Living Dead III.

Later creators on the series have apparently felt real comfortable continuing that legacy of film swipes. The first Revelations couldn't be more obviously inspired by Cameron's The Abyss, the Lucas sequences in RE7 are straight out of the Saw movies, the first hour of RE5 is based heavily off of Black Hawk Down, etc.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
got something that'll solve the carlos hair debate hopefully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agITdcioWLg

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

My wife and I have been re-playing many an RE game lately and just realized neither of us had touched 6 at any point since the demo years ago. I have it on PS4 because I got some RE bundle at some point so figured okay how bad can this game REALLY be and like, god drat, it's pretty bad. It's just so weirdly brainless compared to other RE games in the main series. And I don't mean that from the emphasis on action and QTEs but like, the way you can't look at lots of stuff in the environment to get little descriptions of things, the lack of files to pick up. We went with Leon's campaign first since I remember people saying that one in general was best but it becomes a weird Left 4 Dead clone 1/3 of the way into it? Like you really can feel how this was multiple teams' stuff getting jammed together. Why is this a dumb action game where you slide and run around a lot to melee hordes of zombies but also if you want to heal yourself you have to, pick up an herb, select the herb, combine it with other herbs, and then transfer it to tablet case, exit that menu, and then press a button solely devoted to using herbs to use it?

The damage feels really hard to read because of that unless your health is in the red so it shows up on screen constantly, like in one part of the game it was like anything touched my character at all it was a hard knockdown and I had to wait to get revived no matter how much I healed? They made something way worse than "FINE/CAUTION/DANGER" which was fine as it was. Like why even have health at that point. Just an all around bad job of conveying information.

It's just crazy how slick and polished the game seems on the surface vs. how unpolished it feels to actually play and interact with.

I know I'm not saying anything new here but folks really weren't exaggerating. The melee moves are a lot of fun but that's like all the game has going for it.

To make sure I wasn't crazy I re-started RE5, game I previously considered to be bad, for a little bit after and that game is crazy intense in comparison to 6.

I don't have anything to add to this, but it sums up why I can't stand RE6 pretty nicely. it really is just completely mindless. RE has gone through all sorts of changes and iterations over the years, but I've never felt less engaged with the series than RE6.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
RE6 is crazy in that it has a pretty detailed story, that you will only find out about if you read the files away from the gameplay.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wanderer posted:

There were press releases about the original PSX RE that described Jill as an American of French and Japanese descent. Her mother was a nikkei.

That seems to have quietly been abandoned since they decided to use Julia Voth as her face model back in 2001, but "Jill is Eurasian" is one of those bits of obscure, questionable canon that's never quite left the community conversation.

That must have been a thing in games in the mid 90’s. I remember reading the ingame files for Metal Gear Solid and they talked about Solid Snake being of British and Japanese descent, I think.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Question IRL posted:

That must have been a thing in games in the mid 90’s. I remember reading the ingame files for Metal Gear Solid and they talked about Solid Snake being of British and Japanese descent, I think.

Japanese-American, but Solid was raised in the US and Liquid in the UK (hence his gloriously hammy voice).

They sort of retconned this in MGS4 to fit with the cloning story - they used Big Boss' DNA, the eggs from Para-Medic's assistant (who was Japanese) and Eva was the surrogate mother.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wanderer posted:

There's actually a sequence in Code Veronica that's basically a shot-for-shot remake of a scene from Return of the Living Dead III.

Is there a video comparison of this because that's dope, even if Return of the Living Dead 3 kinda sucks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Return of the Living Dead 3 is amazing, you shut your whore mouth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Question IRL posted:

And of course, Aya Brea from Parasite Eve.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To end the Carlos hair debate, I'm sharing some Steam keys. Desperate times call for desperate measures it seems.

Resident Evil HD REMASTER: 78N9D-E8HWR-CQRGX

Resident Evil 0 HD REMASTER: 7VCJ4-MZCYD-AIMLL

RESIDENT EVIL 2 - All In-game Rewards Unlock: DL2Q0-6HG77-35EKB

Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1: Penal Colony: CV93E-38GMC-9H8B5

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - Complete Season: 5R2TL-D29PZ-4R3H8

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition: 877MY-9B89E-2PADY

Dead Rising 4: 74R3P-54RQ4-3C748

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 29, 2020

Llamakazi
Jan 25, 2006

"Awr?"
Snagged the RE:Revelations 2 Complete Season code, thanks!

I weirdly liked Revelations 1; been meaning to play this one eventually /thumbsup

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Despite playing this series for years, I've never actually tried REmake—until now. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I claimed RE0, thanks my guy

Maybe now I'll finally beat it, I got so frustrated with the Gamecube version I gave up.