Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ShootaBoy posted:

Thoughts on StarCrawlers? I mean its like 2 bucks but its still good to know if its got some hidden bullshit or bad ui going on.
I thought it was pretty bland and uninteresting. None of your character's abilities are really all that flavourful or fun to use, so it's mostly just grinding through samey procgen dungeons over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Heran Bago posted:

idk should be listed somewhere

DRM free are ONE STEP FROM EDEN EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK and SPACE ROUTINE

fyi, Etherborn is in the Humble Trove already so you can play it without paying for March

I paused my subscription; 198X is the only game in there I actually want and I don't want it that much

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Far Cry Primal: booted it up, resumed my save game from last year which was about an hour in, I basically quit it after taming my first animal, god knows why. I didn't want to do the opening game tutorial stuff again so I relearned all the controls on the fly, and... gosh. Okay. I really like the idea of collecting skins and materials to help my village build cooler structures while exploring this lush and beautiful world. I also have a doggie friend!

I went around, got a deer skin, grabbed some collectibles, and then got mauled to death by a bear. Game good. I'm gonna put more time into it.

e: holy cow looking at the dates for my first screenshots in this game, I played it in 2018! and then ignored it for an entire year, good lord. Self, why.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Anyone tried Bright Memory? Thoughts on that? The price looks right, but it seems almost too low.

ymgve posted:

Isn’t it still just Chapter One and not a full game yet?

It's interesting. Probably could stand to be a little tighter since it's trying to be a FPS character action game (Devil May Cry etc) The one on the store is the first version but the dev wanted to expand on it and the full game will be called Bright Memory Infinite. I believe current owners will get Infinite free.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

What's the current state of all the various Transport Tycoon/Railroads style games? I've been looking at Mashinky and Railway Empire recently and considering maybe picking one up later.

I tried LOGistICAL a while back and just didn't really find it engrossing, felt more like a idle clicker.

I really liked railway empires. I think it’s fairly simple compared to what I’ve read about Transport Tycoon (haven’t played it) but you can go hog wild tediously building switches and signals and all that if you want to, or there is an option to turn that off, which I did. It is a supply chain/ research game with scenarios, but I like the maps, and on higher difficulties the AI can put up a challenge, though it’s pretty passive on lower difficulties.

I also liked rise of industry, which is a similar logistics/supply chain game that is not as pretty and generally not as good, but still worth a play.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Far Cry Primal: booted it up, resumed my save game from last year which was about an hour in, I basically quit it after taming my first animal, god knows why. I didn't want to do the opening game tutorial stuff again so I relearned all the controls on the fly, and... gosh. Okay. I really like the idea of collecting skins and materials to help my village build cooler structures while exploring this lush and beautiful world. I also have a doggie friend!

I went around, got a deer skin, grabbed some collectibles, and then got mauled to death by a bear. Game good. I'm gonna put more time into it.

e: holy cow looking at the dates for my first screenshots in this game, I played it in 2018! and then ignored it for an entire year, good lord. Self, why.

Several great animal companions in FC5 so you’ll enjoy that. Some of the human ones are fine too, I guess

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

FastestGunAlive posted:

Several great animal companions in FC5 so you’ll enjoy that. Some of the human ones are fine too, I guess

My best human companion was actually in my friend's game, but it was a loud mouth dude in a tanktop with an RPG that had a hair-trigger. He blew up everything: Vehicles, dogs, enemy gas silos, me-in-an-ATV. I loved him. :allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morter posted:

My best human companion was actually in my friend's game, but it was a loud mouth dude in a tanktop with an RPG that had a hair-trigger. He blew up everything: Vehicles, dogs, enemy gas silos, me-in-an-ATV. I loved him. :allears:
He's in Primal, too. The character's a running gag sort of thing for the Far Cry series.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I also have a doggie friend!

Please pet your dog for me.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
If we're talking about Far Cry. Ubisoft is having a big sale on Uplay and I'm thinking about getting a new open world game for these stay-at-home times.
BUT! Ubi does a poor job on the store page descriptions and I don't care to seek out youtube reviews, so not sure which one to go for! Is anyone able to give me a quick rundown of what the key differences are between 4, Primal, 5 and New Dawn? Like, obviously Primal doesn't have guns but does that...work? Is it worse than the gun entries? Better? Should I just skip to the newest entry because they're all the same and the newest is most polished? Advice welcome!

For reference the last FC I played was FC3 & FC3: Blood Dragon, but I have played the most recent Asscreeds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
4: Set in Not-Nepal, has either the best or second best villain of the modern games depending on who you ask. Map is gorgeous, guns are pretty decent but still suffer from some (extremely mild) sponginess in enemies. Probably around 30 hours for a 100% map clear and it has some pretty cool side activities and special side quests.

Primal: Set in ??? BC, has a hawk instead of a drone, has a bevy of animal companions. Ranged combat is spears, bow and arrow, various other options but it also has a decent chunk of melee combat which is handled pretty well. I think Primal is the biggest departure FC has in the modern era but it does suffer a little bit from being a bit samey near the middle.

5: Set in Montana, has an absolutely dreadful plot and villains that might have at one point in the rewriting process been interesting. The gun feel is the best of any FC game, the map is pretty enough but somewhat one note (vaguely PNW) and they made some very questionable decisions about player agency in terms of story content. Essentially every time you do X (4 I think?) map activities you get hijacked into a story mission. People have howled long and loud over this and I think while most are overstating it it is most definitely Not Good.

New Dawn: Dunno.

For pure gameplay and gently caress about sandboxiness I think 5 wins. I think 4 has the best map and the best stuff to do/see. I think Primal is exceedingly weird and worth everyone's time just to see both how seamlessly the FC formula slots into that setting and at the same time how out of place it feels. 5 probably has the most content and I would avoid the DLC for all of them.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 29, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ripper Swarm posted:

Is anyone able to give me a quick rundown of what the key differences are between 4, Primal, 5 and New Dawn? Like, obviously Primal doesn't have guns but does that...work? Is it worse than the gun entries? Better? Should I just skip to the newest entry because they're all the same and the newest is most polished? Advice welcome!
Primal is the definite outlier here. 4, 5 and New Dawn are fundamentally based on the same mold as Far Cry 3 - you run around, fight patrols, do quests, level up, free areas by destroying outposts, that kind of thing. They're very similar and the differences lie mostly in the details.

Primal is... kind of the same basic shape, but it feels pretty different in practice. In a lot of ways it feels like one of those survival sim games. You've got this caveman village that you're improving and you're trying to make a new home for your tribe by killing all the evil cannibal cave people. Instead of guns, you have tons of different crafted weapons like bows, stone axes, spears, thrown bee hives, etc. There's actually more variety in how you can develop your character than in the other Far Cry games, because every time you find a new plot NPC, you get a whole bunch of new ways in which you can upgrade your village and skills you can train.

There's a ton of different pets you can tame and some do really special stuff. You can ride around your sabre-toothed tiger for example and it's honestly just neat. You also get a giant owl that controls kind of like the hawk from the more recent Asscreed games.

I'd honestly call it one of the better Far Cry games and better than FC5 by far. It's very much its own thing and not just a quick throw-away side game like Blood Dragon. They really put care and effort into it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Should I buy GTA V? I've played it before and haven't played a GTA game in almost ten years. Is the game acclaimed enough to take the plunge or is my time better spent elsewhere nowadays?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The language spoken in Primal is an expanded and speculative take on Proto Indo-European which I think is neat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I buy GTA V? I've played it before and haven't played a GTA game in almost ten years. Is the game acclaimed enough to take the plunge or is my time better spent elsewhere nowadays?
It's basically the same as every other GTA game since 3, so I guess the question is, do you feel like paying for the new and improved edition or are you sick enough of the formula that the relatively minor differences wouldn't be enough to keep your attention?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

punk rebel ecks posted:

Depends what you want. It's a really good and beautiful game, but the freedom from the 3 era games is gone. The missions railroad you to play them in very specific ways, and the game punishes you a lot for just playing around and having fun and even for doing a lot of side activities at sub-optimal times. Aside from that it really is loving fantastic and by far the best designed open world ever done.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Have you played Sleeping Dogs? If no, get that instead. GTA V is a colossal but charmless game propped up only by its own name.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ripper Swarm posted:

If we're talking about Far Cry. Ubisoft is having a big sale on Uplay and I'm thinking about getting a new open world game for these stay-at-home times.
BUT! Ubi does a poor job on the store page descriptions and I don't care to seek out youtube reviews, so not sure which one to go for! Is anyone able to give me a quick rundown of what the key differences are between 4, Primal, 5 and New Dawn? Like, obviously Primal doesn't have guns but does that...work? Is it worse than the gun entries? Better? Should I just skip to the newest entry because they're all the same and the newest is most polished? Advice welcome!

For reference the last FC I played was FC3 & FC3: Blood Dragon, but I have played the most recent Asscreeds.

Regardless of what you choose regarding the main numbers, you should get Primal. It has an atmosphere to it unlike any game I have ever played.

4 is a polished version of 3 with a better map and a plot that isn't a raging trashfire. (It's still bad tho!) The gameplay is really fun and I spent a lot of time in this one.

(I will pick up 5/New Dawn soon)

Strix's Official Far Cry Ranking

2 >>>>>> 4 > 1 > literally anything else > 3

Blood Dragon and Primal are better than 4 and do their own unique things so I can't rank them above each other. 3 has fun gameplay but the plot is so bad it pulls it down.

In conclusion play 2. It's a masterclass in what games can be, what they can say...and it's stupid fun.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Primal is basically the Blood Dragon for FC4 but they put actual effort into it this time. It's definitely better than 5 and New Dawn because you never at any point have to listen to Joseph Seed talk.

Joking aside, it's a fun little side thing that worth checking out at least once for how weird they got with it, while still fitting it into the serviceable Far Cry formula .

New Dawn is pretty fun too because you get super powers can run really fast etc, like Saints Row but for Far Cry. Downside being they RPGed it up a little.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 29, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I thought 3 was fantastic, up until the point where they kill off the best antagonist. I did like how Jason became more gung ho and more murderhobo as the game goes on, but the hallucination drug poo poo wasn't great. They also really underused the WW2 Japanese bunkers. I also adored 2 at the time, but really cant go back to it. That's a game that needs remaking, just do the original vision but with modern tech, as well as removing some of the more egregious checkpoint respawns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's free on Game Pass but if anyone's looking for a new visual novel kind of game, Astrologaster's pretty good! Read the stars (badly) to determine the fates of various Victorian figures and mostly tell people they're about to get owned by a witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpjyo5lP7Qc

Apparently it's a mobile port but it's a good length game and I've had no problems with the port itself except a bug that just got fixed

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

the hallucination drug poo poo wasn't great.
The drug trips seem to be kind of controversial with a lot of people, but I honestly kind of liked it. It gave them an excuse to have some more colorful and unusual boss fights that weren't just more "dude with a gun and/or knife" without going full in on the supernatural elements.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The drug stuff was neat in 3 and then verging on alright in 4 and pretty much since then it's been "Oh boy it's drug time in this here Far Cry game!" and it's just a chore.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"strix go to bed" no I have opinions on video games

State of Decay 2: 40+ hours, beaten three times. I think I might be done for now? I need a break before I start a new game. This game is amazing and it's going in my top ten games of the year post in December.

Resident Evil 2: more thinky and more spooky than I can handle currently. I desperately want to play this game from a state of mind where I will enjoy it.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint: as I've said I really enjoy it now that it's wildlands-y! But I'm not sure if I'll keep playing it currently due to how you actually need a brain to assault bases. I tried playing it while exhausted and upset last night and kept dying due to sloppy play. I'm probably going to put it with Resident Evil 2 where I want to enjoy it, but can't currently.

Far Cry Primal: as I suspected this is the kind of visceral alien experience I was looking for. I zoned out while playing it in a good way and the ubisoft formula of go to icons on map to collect stuff/fight things is good for being soothing and for fitting with the theme of the game, as you are a literal caveman. Go places, kill things, help tribe!

Morels: like Primal, but without the violence. So soothing.

I'm having fun but I would really appreciate it if covid would stop so I could have my brain back. Being lowkey panicked all the time isn't healthy and I don't enjoy it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Orv posted:

The drug stuff was neat in 3 and then verging on alright in 4 and pretty much since then it's been "Oh boy it's drug time in this here Far Cry game!" and it's just a chore.
Eh, yeah, okay. I was just talking about FC3 there. 5 just did it in the shittiest possible way and I can't blame anyone for wishing they just hadn't even bothered.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Far Cry 3: I don't care about the drug trips. I do care about the rape sequence. That was so loving disgusting.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Gracias, all. Sounds like Primal is the way to go, which I'm glad of because riding a sabretooth around certainly sounds more interesting than fighting a cult in Montana! If I still want more after that I'll look at 4, and by the time I'm done with THAT...well, we'll probably have FC6 by then.

StrixNebulosa posted:

In conclusion play 2. It's a masterclass in what games can be, what they can say...and it's stupid fun.

Already have :) I found many a blood diamond and know the hidden secret of the checkpoint they're pretty bad at following you offroad.

Now, why later games -including Far Cry 3! - didn't take the FC2 fire mechanics is something I never understood. I had so many gunfights change completely because me or the AI accidently started a huge fire that forced everyone to adapt to the moving safe areas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

It's free on Game Pass but if anyone's looking for a new visual novel kind of game, Astrologaster's pretty good! Read the stars (badly) to determine the fates of various Victorian figures and mostly tell people they're about to get owned by a witch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpjyo5lP7Qc

Apparently it's a mobile port but it's a good length game and I've had no problems with the port itself except a bug that just got fixed

Elizabethan.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm having fun but I would really appreciate it if covid would stop so I could have my brain back. Being lowkey panicked all the time isn't healthy and I don't enjoy it.

I know what you mean. This time of year I've always got some sort of sniffle either from wet weather or allergies, and it's hard to keep the hypochondria at bay. Doesn't help that two of my friends have retreated to fear-memeing on Facebook, I think I need to block them until this stuff passes and they go back to posting original thoughts again.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:yeah:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

Elizabethan.

:negative:

You are correct lol, wrong queen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Pain Elemental toy location in Doom Eternal.

Why?

Especially when punching the wall will knock you back, so you only have ONE shot at hitting the loving right spot mid-fall.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
well, 'pain' is right there in the name

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I had a lot of fun in co op with new dawn. Definitely better than 5, and the raid missions were pretty neat too

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

K8.0 posted:

Depends what you want. It's a really good and beautiful game, but the freedom from the 3 era games is gone. The missions railroad you to play them in very specific ways, and the game punishes you a lot for just playing around and having fun and even for doing a lot of side activities at sub-optimal times.

...eww....

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bought the tabletop sim from fanatical. Had a game night with our friends half a continent away. Played 5 crowns. A little clunky, but it certainly worked.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's better digital tabletops but they're still like thick IRC clients in user friendliness and you can't flip the table.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have been in a game slump lately as well. Some of that is likely due to the quarantine. I can’t seem to get interested in or excited about playing anything at the moment. Rather than find something new, I decided to go back and play some classics. Today I started a ROM hack of Final Fantasy 6 called Brave New World. The new mechanics really spice things up. It also seems slightly more difficult without being punishing. I don’t know how much nostalgia is talking here, but FF6 still stands the test of time. I’d recommend checking out some of your favorite games from the SNES/PSX (hell may as well include PS2) era - most don’t require a lot of brain power or fast reflexes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've finished The Surge 2. It is a good game. In parts even great.

I loved the combat + loot system because it doesn't waste your time. You know exactly how many times you need to kill enemies and which enemies to get what you want. In addition to that, energy was transformed into battery system where you can carry on a few of them between fight or even indefinitely with some implants and healing items are rechargeable with energy. Probably the single best improvement that makes the game easier and more accessible.

The improved parry system makes the combat easier as well because much like Sekiro the parry timing is generous and it's the difference between getting owned in a boss fight and rolling the boss without dropping a beat. Ideally I wish it wasn't such polar opposites but that needs some more improvements in terms of boss fights. Difficulty wise, the boss fights ranged from Pinwheel to Gwyn. They make you fight two of the bosses like 3 times each and I wish they didn't do that.

The world design is only OK. There's no great vistas and it's all industrially drab. You have to traverse the world on foot until very late in the game when you get fast travel but for me it was kind of useless at that point. The world undergoes a big change and I lost interest in exploring it fully. You also get another traversal item which is teased the whole game and it was equally late for me to use it fully.

The story was serviceable, nothing amazing.

All things considered, I enjoyed the game and I'm really looking forward to what Deck13 will do next because they have shown me that they know how to improve with each game.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
NieR Replicant (the brother version, not the dad one) remake's gonna be on Steam, hopefully it'll get more attention than the Automata port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sdn1B0N4k0