Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

mdxi posted:

Folding and Rosetta both have COVID-19 research work ongoing.

https://www.ipd.uw.edu/2020/02/rosettas-role-in-fighting-coronavirus/

https://foldingathome.org/2020/02/27/foldinghome-takes-up-the-fight-against-covid-19-2019-ncov/

So if you wanna get in on that, you know what to do.
So BOINC Rosetta@Home
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/team_display.php?teamid=4597
CPU

It wasn't explicitly in the OP but the folding@home all diseases covid 19 team SAGoons
is https://apps.foldingathome.org/teamstats/team150.html
GPU
right? (maybe add to op unless I missed it)

I'm running both simultaneously when I can, I haven't done this in a few years (I used to run world community grid and milkyway) I just majorly upgraded my system in November.

Also I took my Auto OC Afterburner OC off my 1080 FTW should I try it with it on?

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I've added links to FAH and the SA FAH team to the OP. It wasn't an intentional oversight; I only recently discovered that it is not a BOINC project, and so is not included in the BOINC project lists.

quote:

Also I took my Auto OC Afterburner OC off my 1080 FTW should I try it with it on?

Running hot is the last thing you want. The only clock or voltage tweaks I would recommend would be underclocking and/or undervolting. If you're not comfortable with that, then don't worry about it and just run everything stock.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be switching from Asteroids@Home to Rosetta@Home for the time being to do COVID-19 stuff, after my current batch of Asteroids WUs is completed. Asteroids are fun and we need to map them all anyways if we ever want to get off this rock and preserve the survival of our species. As long as we're all still stuck on Earth though, I encourage everyone to give COVID-19 work priority.

Rosetta doesn't have any work for ARM Linux, so I'll still be doing some Asteroids WUs.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Tuxide posted:

I encourage everyone to give COVID-19 work priority.

The overwhelming majority of my cores/threads are crunching on biomedical research of one sort of another, including Rosetta. Edit: And I've suspended Einstein and Asteroids for the time being; now my GPUs are dedicated to GPUGrid.

Also, while there aren't any hard details yet (and it takes them months to spin up projects), WCG staff have announced that they're looking for teams who want resources for generalized epidemiology research -- because it looks like this is maybe going to be a thing more than it used to be.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 19, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I haven't posted about it in a while, but Homefarm has continued to have (mostly minor) updates. Inspired by the burst of BOINC activity going on these days, I just did a bit of work that I've been putting off for a while and have pushed out v2.4.0.

This is the first non-bugfix release in a while, and it adds the 'query' subcommand, which lets you generate simple statistics on the projects your machines are attached to. You can read about it here (scroll down a bit to "Getting project statistics"). Here's the sample output for people who are a tiny bit interested, but not enough to want to click a link:
code:
# farmctl query community
--------------------------------------------------------------
node01
WUs in past 24 hours: 202
        Min runtime: 00h 21min 18s
        Max runtime: 03h 18min 03s
        Avg runtime: 02h 18min 48s
WUs by quintile:
        <= 00h 56min 39s         31      (15.3%)
        <= 01h 32min 00s         23      (11.4%)
        <= 02h 07min 21s         47      (23.3%)
        <= 02h 42min 42s         6       (03.0%)
        <= 03h 18min 03s         95      (47.0%)
If this looks familiar, that's because 'query' uses the script that I wrote to do benchmarking when the 3900X was released. It's actually been included with Homefarm since v2.0.0, but you had to notice that it was there and figure out how to call it manually. Now it's nicely integrated into `farmctl`.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Joined the Rosetta team and fired up my mostly idle cloud server to cwunch it up. :banjo:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

mdxi posted:

Running hot is the last thing you want. The only clock or voltage tweaks I would recommend would be underclocking and/or undervolting. If you're not comfortable with that, then don't worry about it and just run everything stock.
I run 66°C CPU and 62°C GPU stock clocks at 100%

My case and noctura heatsink are working great. I thought overclocking could cause problems with your submissions in grid computing that you wouldn't notice and maybe waste time when someone double checks your results, problems that you wouldn't notice in a benchmark or game. Less than 100% reliability would skew your results?

hmm, I'm number 2 (active member contributions) rosetta@home BOINC and #281 folding@home after ~1 week.

I got 2nd post on the ask tell covid-19 thread that no one is reading https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917292

Meanwhile the general bullshit one is so fast paced it's hard to read. Someone seems to be plugging grid computing every 6 pages or so lately.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 20, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Prescription Combs posted:

Joined the Rosetta team and fired up my mostly idle cloud server to cwunch it up. :banjo:

:science:

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I thought overclocking could cause problems with your submissions in grid computing that you wouldn't notice and maybe waste time when someone double checks your results

Mostly you don't want to overclock because when you're doing this kind of work, you're fully utilizing the silicon: all cores, all threads, all the time. The sort of workload that OCers and benchmarkers tend to refer to as "torture testing". Only the goal here isn't to see how fast you can do one run of Cinebench, or to remain stable for 90 minutes of Prime95. The goal is years of nonstop computational work. This is what the chips are designed to do, but they're designed to do it at the rated speed and voltages.

quote:

hmm, I'm number 2 (active member contributions) rosetta@home BOINC and #281 folding@home after ~1 week.

Yep. You'll fly up through all the inactive users and people who never actually returned a single result very quickly. It's fun!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I setup F@H on a few computers but they haven't had many work units available due to the uptick in people in the last week or two. Is rosetta at home having the same work shortage?

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

I setup F@H on a few computers but they haven't had many work units available due to the uptick in people in the last week or two. Is rosetta at home having the same work shortage?

Not that I've seen, but my experience with Asteroids is that it changes every day. BOINC projects like Rosetta@Home have a "Server status" page that tells you if there are tasks to send out or not.

https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/server_status.php

When the Tasks ready to send number hits 0, that means there are no tasks to send until they prepare a new batch of workunits, and that could take a few days.

If you're running only a single project from BOINC (in this case, Rosetta@Home) and you want to make sure your computers always have workunits to crunch, what I do is fire up BOINC Manager and tell BOINC to store up to five days of work in advance:

Don't do this if you're doing other BOINC projects as well, especially Africa Rainfall. Doing this with Rosetta and running Folding as well is OK, but I don't know if there's an equivalent to storing work with the Folding@Home manager.

Tuxide fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 23, 2020

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

F@H doesn't seem to have many CPU WUs available, but it's keeping my GPU fed. R@H has plenty of CPU WUs though (some of which are labeled COVID-19), so I'm running both and just set F@H to only use the GPU and R@H to only use the CPU.

My desktop is burning about 325W continuously (stock CPU clocks, 80% performance target for GPU) which will cost about $35/month if I run it nonstop at $0.15/kWh. The combined workload is actually hitting the efficiency sweet spot on the power supply; the UPS reports a power factor of 0.95.

I've spent many hours today messing with fan curves and voltages and clock speeds, and this is definitely scratching the itch to tinker. I also get to watch numbers go up and maybe it'll help with the COVID-19 so that's a bonus.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
There's a phishing scam going around targeting healthworkers who are being asked through email to install "Folding@Home" to help fight COVID-19, but are instead given a link to malware.

Make sure you are actually downloading BOINC and Folding@Home from their respective websites.

BOINC
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Folding@Home
https://foldingathome.org/

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

I've added a top section to the OP about Covid-19 efforts, including a link to some human genome work now being done by TN-Grid in Italy.

I'll do my best to keep that up to date. Please let me know if you have any ideas for stuff that should be there.

Tuxide posted:

There's a phishing scam going around targeting healthworkers who are being asked through email to install "Folding@Home" to help fight COVID-19, but are instead given a link to malware.

Good to know that there's always people being as lovely as possible, in any situation.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Frontera at TACC has been working on Covid-19, it turns out: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uota-cms032320.php

TACC host some grid projects, but they don't let you select what work you'll be doing, and they do a LOT of work for the petrochemical industries.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Wow Folding@Home has passed 1 exaflop.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002
I haven't had a somewhat decent GPU for awhile, got an XFX 7850 in today for $38 and now computing like it's 2012! Glad to see the first WU I got was for Coronavirus.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Unclean posted:

I haven't had a somewhat decent GPU for awhile, got an XFX 7850 in today for $38 and now computing like it's 2012! Glad to see the first WU I got was for Coronavirus.

Welcome to the party :science:

One of my machines is still crunching with a GTX 750 Ti. Older GPUs can still do lots of good work.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002

mdxi posted:

Welcome to the party :science:

One of my machines is still crunching with a GTX 750 Ti. Older GPUs can still do lots of good work.

Hey thanks! It says I'll get about 90k PPD with this card so it's something! I've been folding off and on since 2004, but without a GPU it just wasn't worth it compared to Rosetta @ Home.

I checked and a GeForce 2080 Ti could earn as many points in a week or so as I have since I started folding.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

For anyone on folding@home looking to get work units faster try joining the beta. There is a small chance of getting a bad wu but the beta servers are a lot less smashed.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to turn in a WU for Folding after realizing I could get around my heating issues by underclocking my graphics card. I mean I knew I could do this, but the AMD dashboard wasn't being cooperative to me earlier.

Apparently, TN-Grid offers WUs for ARM Linux, so I'm setting my Raspberry Pis to it once they're done with their current Asteroids work. After that, I'll have everything I have working on something COVID-19-related. In the meantime, I made a Something Awful Team for TN-Grid because there wasn't one.

mdxi posted:

Please let me know if you have any ideas for stuff that should be there.

Here are some things I thought of for adding/modifying. It'll probably need to be edited again once SETI@Home goes into hibernation in a few days.

quote:

BOINC/Grid computing: [COVID-19] Numbers Go Up, the good kind

BOINC or Folding@Home?

If you're choosing between the two, BOINC is probably the easier to set up. BOINC also has more configuration options. Folding@Home is only protein work, so if you want to do projects related to space, then you're using BOINC.

If you just want to do COVID-19 work, do both BOINC and Folding@Home. Set up Folding@Home to do work with the GPU only. On BOINC, sign up for Rosetta@home from the BOINC Manager--this is a CPU-only project. Both projects complement each other--Rosetta is used to predict the most likely protein structure, and Folding is used to model the process of protein folding using all-atom molecular dynamics models, and could be based off of Rosetta's results. You can also sign up for Ibercivis and TN-Grid for more CPU-only work. For Raspberry Pi, set up TN-Grid on BOINC. For the Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB model, Rosetta@Home is also an option, but only if you're using 64-bit ARM Linux like Ubuntu.

Is there any way to tell Folding/Rosetta to only do COVID-19 work?

For Folding@Home, what you can do is tell it to prefer COVID-19 work over work for other projects, by setting your Cause Preference to COVID-19. You will still occasionally get work for other projects though, so in no way does this actually guarantee you'll be getting COVID-19 work assigned to you.

Generally, however, no. Folding and Rosetta are both currently giving COVID-19 work top priority, but there is also an overwhelming number of new users. What that means is that as long as there is work available for COVID-19, then you will get work for COVID-19, but there is no guarantee that work for COVID-19 will actually be available.

How do I know I'm actually doing COVID-19 work?

For Folding@Home, check the workunit's five-digit project number, then look it up on the list of active projects for Folding. If the project description is something like 11741 and it says something like "SARS-CoV-2", "Coronavirus" or "COVID-19" anywhere on it, then you're doing COVID-19 work.

For BOINC Rosetta@Home, check the name of the workunit through BOINC Manager. If it has COVID-19 anywhere in its long-rear end name (for example 7mt1me6n_jhr_design1_COVID-19_SAVE_ALL_OUT_903149_1_0), then it's COVID-19 work.

For BOINC TN-Grid, look for the following tokens in your workunit names:

• ACE2 AGT AGTR1 AGTR2 REN MME DPP4 PRCP MEP1B MEP1A XPNPEP2
  • DPP4 INS GIP SLC5A2 SLC5A5 ADA GCG GLP1R
  • Any name from 165735_Hs to 166977_Hs

If a workunit doesn't meet this criteria, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't for COVID-19, unless you can tell it's for something else.

For BOINC Ibercivis, it'll say something like "Covid-Phym, Fight against SARS-CoV-2 replication 0.01" in the application name.

Should I overclock?

No. Don't ever do this.

The goal of grid computing is to complete years of non-stop computational work, not getting the high score on 3DMark. Overclocking will only lead to hardware instability, and you end up completing less work because of it.

Should I use my laptop/phone?

Generally no, but it depends if the project is time-sensitive, how long you have your device powered on and how long it takes for it to complete workunits. There are goons who use Android phones and laptops for Asteroids@Home and that's OK, but not for something like Africa Rainfall.

My hardware has heating/voltage issues! What to do?

Don't torture your hardware, nobody's asking you to do that. If you think your issues are fixable, here are some tips:

• Graphics card -- You can always just do CPU-only work. If you can't complete work because Folding@Home is complaining about heat, then you can underclock your graphics card and see if that helps.
  • CPU or Raspberry Pi -- In BOINC Manager under Computing preferences, set your CPU time so it says something less than 100%.

No workunits are available! What to do?

Sometimes a project just runs out of workunits because everybody claims them faster than the project can create new ones. This is common. If you're running only a single project from BOINC and you want to make sure your computers always have workunits to crunch, then fire up BOINC Manager and tell BOINC to store up to five days of work in advance:

Don't do this if you're doing COVID-19 work because you'll just be delaying the work from being done. Also, don't do this if you're doing other BOINC projects as well, especially time-sensitive ones like Africa Rainfall.

Raspberry Pi? Really?

Not many projects have work for the Raspberry Pi, but there are a few. These are the ones we know about :

• Asteroids@home
  • Einstein@Home
  • Radioactive@Home (no idea how it works, but you need to buy a sensor)
  • RakeSearch
  • Rosetta@Home (Pi 4B 4GB model only, requires 64-bit ARM Linux like the latest Ubuntu, recommended computing preferences set to 75% memory usage)
  • SETI@home
  • TN-Grid
  • Universe@Home
  • Yoyo@home

Should I join a team?

It's up to you. BOINC projects have teams you can join, which are collections of users whose contributions are counted together for bragging rights.

* When you're part of a team, all your points/runtime/etc are counted toward your personal stats, and also toward that team's stats.
* You can belong to only one team at a time.
* Points earned while on a team stay with that team if you leave; you can't move points from one team to another
* On BOINC, team founders have access to the email addresses of its members. If you want to join a team and you don't want the team founder knowing what your email address is, then on the project webpage go to Your account->Preferences for this project->Edit preferences and uncheck the option Is it OK for whatever@home and your team (if any) to email you?

Also, goon teams do exist. Here are the known Something Awful teams on BOINC:

And also the SA Folding@Home team--team name is "SAGoons".

I want to search for the aliens! What happened to SETI@Home?

SETI@Home is now in a state of hibernation and is not currently offering new workunits.

Tuxide fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 26, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SETI@home will stop distributing work in a couple of days:
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

quote:

SETI@home hibernation
On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next.
2 Mar 2020, 21:16:23 UTC · Discuss

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Just joined Team # 252293 on folding at home. I was thinking of getting a new gaming rig and now seems like a good time to do it. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm going to be using it for gaming too, not just protein folding.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 29, 2020

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gianthogweed posted:

Just joined Team # 252293 on folding at home. I was thinking of getting a new gaming rig and now seems like a good time to do it. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm going to be using it for gaming too, not just protein folding.

You can ask in the PC building thread too if you want, but this is a pretty standard recommendation for 1080p 144hz/1440p 60hz gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card ($372.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1103.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-29 18:00 EDT-0400

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Demostrs posted:

You can ask in the PC building thread too if you want, but this is a pretty standard recommendation for 1080p 144hz/1440p 60hz gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE 56.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card ($372.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1103.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-29 18:00 EDT-0400

Nice thanks.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

SETI@home will stop distributing work in a couple of days:
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

This is supposed to be the day they go into hibernation, but as of now, they're still sending out workunits. Those that I've managed to get now have a deadline of May 23, so they might still be accepting results after they go into hibernation.

I haven't done this in a while, but here's where the goon teams look on BOINC rankings.

In Asteroids@Home, we've risen to #201 in Total credit. I'm currently trying to encourage work on COVID-19-related stuff so our Recent average credit score on Asteroids has been going down, but we've peaked on #25.

In Rosetta@Home, our Recent average credit has gone up by six times since I've joined. The top team board is highly competitive as more people become interested in COVID-19 stuff, but we currently rank #77 in Recent average credit and #256 in Total credit.

In TN-Grid, this is not a hard board to get on because not too many BOINC runners know about it, but I turned in a single workunit and we're on it now. Goons are currently #85 in Recent average credit and #161 in Total credit.

Folding@Home has some new COVID-19 work to do. If you want in, you'll have to tell Folding@Home to accept CPU work while limiting the amount of CPU usage BOINC can use, but there's no guarantee that you'll actually get COVID-19 work.

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/30/covid-19-free-energy-calculations/

Tuxide fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 31, 2020

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=791

Good news from Asteroids@Home. They're now supporting Volta and Turning cards from Nvidia.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
That same person who requested foundership change on the Asteroids@Home goon team a couple months ago requested it again. It hasn't even been ninety whole days since I became the founder, and there's supposed to be a 90-day deferred period where no new foundership requests are allowed. Either way, it's clear now they don't read this thread. :byewhore:

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I just started doing something helpful and putting my 3900x to good use on rosetta@home. I'm trying to use my gpu with folding but its stuck at ready looking for work. I guess with the uptick of users there is less to go around.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I just started doing something helpful and putting my 3900x to good use on rosetta@home. I'm trying to use my gpu with folding but its stuck at ready looking for work. I guess with the uptick of users there is less to go around.
This is true
I'd be doing it more, but my computer is in my bedroom and I've moved to the south and it's hot as gently caress even at 50% so folding is really more of a winter activity for me.

Tweeter99
Nov 8, 2016
Looks like rosetta@home may be running a bit low on WU's.

The stats here: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/server_status.php show only 2151 WU's ready to be sent out.

In the past week I usually see it up around 20k and have had no issues getting WU's. I'm guessing this is due to the influx of new users. If this does keep up though, does anyone know if there is any other BOINC projects doing COVID-19 CPU work that could use a hand?

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'm trying to use my gpu with folding but its stuck at ready looking for work. I guess with the uptick of users there is less to go around.

Folding@Home is kind've a hit-or-miss now. It's either they have work or they don't, and even when they do, it's either COVID-19 or not. I managed to get a COVID-19 WU for my GPU earlier and I'm crunching it now, after a couple days of nothing.

Tweeter99 posted:

Looks like rosetta@home may be running a bit low on WU's.

The stats here: https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/server_status.php show only 2151 WU's ready to be sent out.

If you want to make sure you always have WUs to crunch in BOINC, you can tell your BOINC Manager to store more days of work in your computing preferences.

Tweeter99 posted:

does anyone know if there is any other BOINC projects doing COVID-19 CPU work that could use a hand?

TN-Grid. They don't target COVID-19 directly, but apparently their focus is on the equally-important ACE2 protein that SARS-CoV-2 binds on to. It offers CPU work, and it's the only COVID-19-related project I know of that offers work for ARM Linux.

This isn't a project that's listed in the BOINC Manager, and they want you creating your account on their website instead of through BOINC Manager. Instructions on how to join are on their project page:
http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/index.php

We also have a team for goons:
http://gene.disi.unitn.it/test/team_display.php?teamid=216

Tweeter99
Nov 8, 2016
Thanks Tuxide, I'm all signed up for TN-Grid now. Looks like we can easily get to the top 20 on this project :rock:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

World Community Grid has announced their generalized pandemic research project. It's being led by Scripps on the science side.

https://www.ibm.org/OpenPandemics

There are a couple of threads on the WCG forums about this. Questions that have been answered so far:
  • No initial Android support (Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • This is because the underlying software will be Autodock, which is developed by Scripps (the org running the project)
  • "At launch, the project will run on CPU"
  • There will be a beta, which will be announced (this is pretty standard for WCG)
WCG forums threads, in case you're interested in keeping yourself up to date:

Sci/Tech thread
WUs and badges thread

If you're attached to WCG and have "Join new projects when they become available" selected in your prefs (I remember it being on by default), then you'll start getting WUs as soon as they start pushing them out.

Edit: Tuxide, I'll fold your OP recommendations in soon. I started a new job a couple days ago, so I'm a bit more scattered than usual.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 2, 2020

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

Tuxide, I'll fold your OP recommendations in soon.

Understood, it's out-of-date anyways now that SETI@Home is taking a nap.

SETI@Home posted:

Final data is in the splitter queue.

As promised, we've stopped the process that puts new data into the queue today. Data distribution will continue until the files shown on the status pages are done. We'll be accepting results and resending results that didn't validate for a while.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I have a 1080 that is idle most of the day while I'm working from home, and now that SETI is out of units I'm throwing that and my i7 into Rosetta and F@H. What fun.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Rosetta@Home is now working to add workunits targeting ARM Linux on their alpha project Ralph@Home. That includes the Raspberry Pi, however, given the memory requirements for COVID-19 stuff, whether it will actually lead to COVID-19 work for the Raspberry Pi outside of the 4GB model 4B is questionable.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looks like it's arm8/aarch64, so if you're on Raspbian (still arm7/armhf-only) then you'd need to switch to something else in order to process that.

I have 8x Pi4 4GBs still on arm7 that are running BOINC for Asteroids@Home, Einstein@Home, and recently TN-Grid since those were the things I found with arm7 support. Was planning on switching to arm8 via Ubuntu with the 20.04 release near the end of the month, or may just give up waiting and use 19.10 for now.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Switched the 8 RPis over to running arm8/arm64 on Ubuntu 19.10. Ended up actually being more straightfoward than I'd thought it would be.

One downside is that both Asteroids@Home and Einstein@Home apparently don't have arm8 support, so I've removed those and now the only thing they're running is TN-Grid which apparently still works.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Good news: the Arm64 work appears to be done, and Rosetta is now shipping WUs. Check out the retweets from miniNodes here: https://twitter.com/RosettaAtHome

You do need a 2/4GB Pi4. Rosetta is too memory-intensive to run on a 1GB model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mdxi posted:

Good news: the Arm64 work appears to be done, and Rosetta is now shipping WUs. Check out the retweets from miniNodes here: https://twitter.com/RosettaAtHome

You do need a 2/4GB Pi4. Rosetta is too memory-intensive to run on a 1GB model.

Oh cool! I've created a Rosetta account and configured the RPis with the account. I'm now seeing Rosetta WUs being downloaded, so it looks like they indeed have arm64 support up and running now.

These are all 4GB models, but the memory usage could still be an issue since BOINC is not getting exclusive use of that full 4GB. Instead the RPis are all in a k8s cluster that's running other stuff as well. Worst case if I see any OOM errors I can cordon off a couple otherwise-idle nodes to just run Rosetta stuff.