Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Also Pretty Cure Connection Puzzlun (aka the mobile game) announced they're shutting down as of June 20th

June 2nd. They've added a few repeatable events that award ridiculous amounts of gems (the premium currency) and have significantly upped gacha rates so anyone who wants to max out their collection by then can give it a shot.

Dunno about the why behind it, but I think it's pretty typical for most online games to only have a shelf life of a few years unless they're absurdly successful. Someone in a discord server I'm in linked a graph showing that money spent on CurePuz has declined over time so I'm sure that's part of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

June 2nd. They've added a few repeatable events that award ridiculous amounts of gems (the premium currency) and have significantly upped gacha rates so anyone who wants to max out their collection by then can give it a shot.

Dunno about the why behind it, but I think it's pretty typical for most online games to only have a shelf life of a few years unless they're absurdly successful. Someone in a discord server I'm in linked a graph showing that money spent on CurePuz has declined over time so I'm sure that's part of it too.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to actually play that game without a Japanese phone? I’ve always kind of been curious about it.

Speaking of which, I don’t think there have been many Precure games released at all recently (I know Star Twinkle never got one). Not sure why though.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any way to actually play that game without a Japanese phone? I’ve always kind of been curious about it.

Yes, I've been playing it in the US for a few years. With an Android phone you can download the .apk from an outside source or use a third party app (i.e. not Google Play). I'm not sure about iPhone, I believe you need to install the Japanese App Store or something? :shrug: But yeah it's doable. There's a fairly sizeable English speaking community for the game, and there are a lot of guides and fan-translations for the events and challenges.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Yes, I've been playing it in the US for a few years. With an Android phone you can download the .apk from an outside source or use a third party app (i.e. not Google Play). I'm not sure about iPhone, I believe you need to install the Japanese App Store or something? :shrug: But yeah it's doable. There's a fairly sizeable English speaking community for the game, and there are a lot of guides and fan-translations for the events and challenges.

Cool, what’s the actual gameplay like? Is it just your standard matching puzzle game?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah, it's a color matching game. If you can match more colors in a single term you do more damage. The gameplay was designed to be easy for kids but there was a lot of added strategy for the older fans. For example all the different Cure cards had multiple types of different bonuses and powerups which would affect gameplay on a stage by stage basis, which got pretty necessary by the later stages. I found it pretty fun, I'll be sad to see the game end. There was a lot of really good art, too, and lots of custom voice clips from all the VAs.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/maisopk/status/1243067325714059264

Tweet even has Aoi Yuki doing Grace's phrase lamo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 9: Nice episode tonight. Hinata tries to get her friends involved in her lifestyle but goes overboard when Nodoka can't handle it. Sure it's an excuse for Toei to hawk the bead machine again but it's a nice character showcase for Hinata all around. Good episode.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bead Machine will be around forever

Anyway Hinata plush was great lets keep the girls together

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bead Machine will be around forever

Anyway Hinata plush was great lets keep the girls together

I forget, has that bead machine popped up in every season so far? I know it’s been in a lot of them at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

E: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 29, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

So we have a picture of what might possibly be our fourth Cure of the season (the girl on the far right with the purple background). Anybody know what the text on her picture says?

These are just the flavors on the dispenser. Going from right to left they are Ringo (apple), orange, cider (which means like a lemon-lime drink like 7-up), and Budou (Grape)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

These are just the flavors on the dispenser. Going from right to left they are Ringo (apple), orange, cider (which means like a lemon-lime drink like 7-up), and Budou (Grape)

Ah well. Though since the others are clearly Grace, Fontaine, and Sparkle there's a strong possibility the fourth girl might be Cure Earth (though the weird thing is that we see what appears to be the same girl at the top of the machine wearing red). Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that the fourth girl is Fudou, a mascot for Otomodachi. That would explain why she doesn’t match the artstyle of the others.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 29, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The setup for this episode really felt like an old Jadeite plot from Sailor Moon. "These foolish humans will spend so much energy trying to make themselves look good, and then we'll steal all that energy with the camera!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 10: The stakes are starting to ramp up a bit. The search for the first three elements that'll let our heroes power up has begun, and this episode had a tougher monster than usual. For the most part, things are still the same fairly chill, well written Healin' Good they've been thus far, but as the first cour keeps moving on, so does the reveal of exactly what the greater story is going to be here.

Also, if the old Cures were allowed to age normally today would be Honoka/Cure White’s 30th birthday.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bless Terada for adding some choral bits to the fight music cause they sure as heck worked

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Healin Good 10. Nice episode with some good character building (also Nodoka gets a lightsaber).

Looks like next week’s our first group attack. If the past is any indication I expect the buildup to our inevitable “sixth” to start around episode 15 or so.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, it’s a fake.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Second half was pretty good but man the ending bit Beaver getting infected by Evil pod to be next general sure is something Toei even during a normal year but during a pandemic is even more gutsy

Anyway next week Nodoka trains with Genjuro!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 11: That was a good episode. Some nice action, a flashback to Nodoka's hospital days, and the music for the new attack - Healing Oasis - is pretty good. It's also setting up plot points for future episodes. The MotW spit out a seed that possessed a capybara at the end of the episode. So there are still problems out there for our heroines to deal with.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 12, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I enjoyed Dairuizen using their catchphrases against them. I think he's probably my favorite of the three.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

https://twitter.com/shota_/status/1250754567400157186?s=19

Toei brings us an English logo for Healin' Good which means they've once again got official English logos for every season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, it appears our new villain in Healin Good is actually a Coypu and his name is Batetemoda.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Keiji Fujiwara (Baron Salamander in the HeartCatch movie, among multiple other roles in different shows) has passed away due to cancer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks to one of the toys, it appears that the upcoming Cure Earth’s real name is Kin and her partner is Latte, there are some more videos in the twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/juliencparze03/status/1227869506023776256

I can’t tell for sure but it sort of sounds like Earth is voiced by Kaori Mizuhashi (Mami in Madoka).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks to the release of the Healing Bag we have our first official glimpse of Cure Earth:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's a pretty nice screen for a toy

Also I hope we get another older Cure this season too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That's a pretty nice screen for a toy

Also I hope we get another older Cure this season too

She does look significantly older than the others at the very least.

Also given her roll call mentioning the “Two winds that connect through time”, the fact that Latte is her partner and that she sort of resembles the statue in the Healing Garden makes me think Earth might possibly be one of the ancient Precure they referenced back in the beginning of the series that’s come back in time for some reason

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s her civilian form:

Seems I was mistaken, her civilian name is actually Asumi (unless she has two names for whatever reason):

Finally, here’s a better shot of Cure Earth’s outfit:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 18, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 12: Nice episode tonight. The Cures train at Toei Quarry, and a new general named Batetemoda, voiced by Soiichiro Hoshi (Masaru in Digimon Savers, Birca in Go-Onger) appears, telling them that they didn't completely win last time. This is going to get interesting.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get the feeling this is gonna end up like Kirakira's second cour which will be amazing

Also we got Nodoka Punch channeling inner Hibiki

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out, good episode this week. The new general seems interesting and I like that he actually fights alongside his monsters (also if you’ve ever seen Go-Onger or Digimon Savers you’ll probably recognize our furry friend’s voice). They even implied that there could be even more Byogen members in the future.

Next week’s a Hinata episode so that should be fun.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

https://twitter.com/toeianime_info/status/1252039631832403968

Healing Good on hiatus for the forseeable future due to coronavirus; they will show reruns of past episodes in the meantime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Healing Good on hiatus for the forseeable future due to coronavirus; they will show reruns of past episodes in the meantime.

So does that mean no episode next week or will this be starting later?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pikestaff posted:

Not sure if it's ironic or topical that healing good is on hiatus because of a disease.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

So does that mean no episode next week or will this be starting later?

Starts the 26th (in Japan, which is the 25th for most of us), so no new episode next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Starts the 26th (in Japan, which is the 25th for most of us), so no new episode next week.

Crap, that sucks.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Crap, that sucks.

FWIW everything toei’s gone dark.

https://twitter.com/toeianimation/status/1252039906483793920

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yup, I’m pretty sure their entire animation department is shutting down because of this. Has there been any word on whether this will effect their live action shows as well?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not seen anything but wouldn’t be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 20, 2020