Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ethiser posted:

Even if they all were on PS4 why would you need to be able to install every episode at the same time?

uhhhh, for the same reason i didn't throw away the first disc when i finished it back in 97? i would assume that, if the entire city of midgard is a 100GB install, you might need that if you ever wanted to go back there? of course the games actually spanning multiple console generations also fucks with that theory. my point is there's so much unknown and it frustrates me

has SE at least confirmed how much content is going to be in the first 100GB episode? i feel like disc 1 was on a few hours on the PS1, but i am aware they're not just doing a straight port + nicer graphics. like if it's somehow a 30 hour game then i guess the $65 tag is justified; my fear is it's $65 for something that you beat in a few hours.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

my dumbass middle school self did all that in the original ffvii for absolutely no reward whatsoever

same :smith:

and the guide i was using back then had info from either a beta version or the japanese version and there was like two or three monsters / items i could never find despite following the instructions to the letter. decades later, cuttingroomfloor confirmed "yeah that poo poo ain't even in the US release of the game son"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theyre not episodes theyre all full games

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I guess the word "episode" breaks a few brains here in the west but yeah the next games are just sequels.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Freaking Crumbum posted:

my fear is it's $65 for something that you beat in a few hours.

Dude the demo is like an hour the first time you play it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Terper posted:

I guess the word "episode" breaks a few brains here in the west but yeah the next games are just sequels.

yeah the common meaning of episode that i am aware of is "incomplete part of a whole". like watch a random episode from a tv series and it's obviously not a complete story on its own. it's also weird because the original release was multiple discs but they were all the same game, and you needed all the discs to complete the game, so saying "oh the first episode = almost all of disc 1" in my brain sounds like "we're charging you $65 for just disc one, then another $65 for each additional disc, also they're huge installs and might span multiple consoles" and it just sounds like a mess.

if what they mean is "we're basically making a new game that's heavily influenced by disc 1 of FF7 but in-and-of-itself is a complete game" then that's a totally different thing (to me). i think the fact that the original game came on multiple discs is also what makes it hard to visualize what this will be like if it spans multiple consoles; i guess it's going to be closer to X/X-2 or XIII/XIII-2

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Instead of remaking the rest of FF7 they should just remake the first disc of FF8 next, then the first two discs of FF9 since the first third or half is always the better part of the game in this series. The only Final Fantasy I've ever finished is FF15 (which also has a marked decrease in quality near the end but at least the actual ending is brilliant).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah the common meaning of episode that i am aware of is "incomplete part of a whole". like watch a random episode from a tv series and it's obviously not a complete story on its own. it's also weird because the original release was multiple discs but they were all the same game, and you needed all the discs to complete the game, so saying "oh the first episode = almost all of disc 1" in my brain sounds like "we're charging you $65 for just disc one, then another $65 for each additional disc, also they're huge installs and might span multiple consoles" and it just sounds like a mess.

if what they mean is "we're basically making a new game that's heavily influenced by disc 1 of FF7 but in-and-of-itself is a complete game" then that's a totally different thing (to me). i think the fact that the original game came on multiple discs is also what makes it hard to visualize what this will be like if it spans multiple consoles; i guess it's going to be closer to X/X-2 or XIII/XIII-2

Think of it this way:

The game coming out now is Season 1 of the TV show. It is not the complete series but it is a completed story arc.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Goon in 1977 posted:

So not only is this not a full movie, it's not even the beginning part? Yeah right, I'm not gonna watch it until all episodes are released so I can have the complete experience

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Someone unironically posted this a few pages back, or in the GBS thread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Freaking Crumbum posted:

has SE at least confirmed how much content is going to be in the first 100GB episode? i feel like disc 1 was on a few hours on the PS1, but i am aware they're not just doing a straight port + nicer graphics. like if it's somehow a 30 hour game then i guess the $65 tag is justified; my fear is it's $65 for something that you beat in a few hours.

This is what they've said, yes. It adapts the Midgar part of FF7 into a full 30 hour game, with new content on top of just expanding what was already there. They've added a ton to Midgar, apparently, with a lot more to do and explore. Their goal is apparently to not cut anything, while also expanding on what was there.

Think of it like the first season of a TV series or, like, a Star Wars "episode." It's intended to be a complete package with the next parts functionally as sequels.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 29, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
How soon we forget Xenosaga.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I tend to assume "it's like Xenosaga!" is a selling point to me and me alone

Plus if it's really like Xenosaga they'll plan for six episodes and then have to rush to wrap things up in the third

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

This is what they've said, yes. It adapts the Midgar part of FF7 into a full 30 hour game, with new content on top of just expanding what was already there. They've added a ton to Midgar, apparently, with a lot more to do and explore. Their goal is apparently to not cut anything, while also expanding on what was there.

Think of it like the first season of a TV series or, like, a Star Wars "episode." It's intended to be a complete package with the next parts functionally as sequels.

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Shinra Strikes Back
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Return of the Cetra

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Shinra Strikes Back
Final Fantasy VII Remake: Return of the Cetra

So Aerith survives in this version?

Harrow posted:

I tend to assume "it's like Xenosaga!" is a selling point to me and me alone

Plus if it's really like Xenosaga they'll plan for six episodes and then have to rush to wrap things up in the third

Xenosaga owns.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Nah, she's stuck in the Lifestream but controlling poo poo from beyond the grave, yo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Super No Vacancy posted:

theyre not episodes theyre all full games

No, they're 40 hour episodes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

esperterra posted:

I blame all of you for this showing up at the top of my recommended feed.

Just repeat "the story ended with FFX-2" until your brain is cleansed of everything that was written after.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

uhhhh, for the same reason i didn't throw away the first disc when i finished it back in 97? i would assume that, if the entire city of midgard is a 100GB install, you might need that if you ever wanted to go back there? of course the games actually spanning multiple console generations also fucks with that theory. my point is there's so much unknown and it frustrates me

Look at this guy having no idea how video games work, and apparently can't do even basic research on a game before he makes a judgment.

Yes, each installment is going to be a full game experience. Midgar is going to be a 30-40 hour game. You are not going to need this first game installed to go back to Midgar in whatever installment has the Midgar raid in it. Each part of the remake is going to be a fully self-contained game, they are not discs. They are not 3 hour episodes like Walking Dead or Life is Strange.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 29, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Uhm, throwing away a disc when that was your only means of access to a game is very different from uninstalling the game but keeping a disc/the game accessible in your account, but I'll bite:

Given the way games in general and their architecture work, and how this project is shaping out to be, it is extremely unlikely that you are ever gonna be reusing existing assets from a previous installation and there's likely going to be a lot of redundant files between the multiple games.

Much like how the originals had the entire game in each disc, I suppose, but probably to a much lesser degree.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Aerith remains dead.

But Aeris lives.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The webcomic crossover no-one expected.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Freaking Crumbum posted:

People have already commented on this, but the only reason that FF7 was 3 discs was the cutscenes. The entirety of the game world, script, assets (except the FMVs) etc is contained on each disc. They are also not equal in length - the 3rd disc is basically just the nothern crater. And the Midgar section of disc 1 contains ~1/3rd of the entire game script (in text length).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Elentor posted:

Nothing in this floor but this is still one of my favorite looking places of the game. Unlike some other places you can just perfectly image this floor rendered in, say, Unreal Engine 4. You know, in the FFVII remake. That's never gonna happen.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/DyiVw3G.jpg[/url][/timg]

I was reading through Elentor’s FF7 LP, and found this gem.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's be honest though it is a very UE4 environment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elentor posted:

Uhm, throwing away a disc when that was your only means of access to a game is very different from uninstalling the game but keeping a disc/the game accessible in your account, but I'll bite:

Given the way games in general and their architecture work, and how this project is shaping out to be, it is extremely unlikely that you are ever gonna be reusing existing assets from a previous installation and there's likely going to be a lot of redundant files between the multiple games.

Much like how the originals had the entire game in each disc, I suppose, but probably to a much lesser degree.

Even other episodic games like the dot Hack RPGs have basically a tonne of content even in Infection that's just... either not complete or hidden.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope had multiple discs and required you to swap them out if you wanted to visit certain planets.

Hell I think even just trying to enter your ship required you to change discs sometimes.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Eddain posted:

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope had multiple discs and required you to swap them out if you wanted to visit certain planets.

Hell I think even just trying to enter your ship required you to change discs sometimes.

That was still one game. This guy is thinking you would need to keep an entirely separate game installed in order to go back to something. It's just completely non-sensical. I don't know why people can't seem to grasp how these games are going to work on even a basic level.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't even remember the last time Square Enix described them as episodes rather than parts. They probably should have come out right away describing it as a series with sequels, although I'm sure there'd still be people dedicated to not getting it.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Eddain posted:

The remake did away with that.

Lunar SSSC had you switch discs if you wanted to take a bath.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I think they should've given it a subtitle to denote it as it's own experience, FFVII: Midgar, etc.

Personally, I like that they're going to flesh out President Shinra into a real full game villain status before he gets ganked this time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DMW45 posted:

I think they should've given it a subtitle to denote it as it's own experience, FFVII: Midgar, etc.

It is incredibly weird that they kept the title as just FFVII Remake when they already knew that more parts were incoming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF7: Mako and Midgar

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It is incredibly weird that they kept the title as just FFVII Remake when they already knew that more parts were incoming.

It's really lovely. So many people who like FFVII but don't follow games in TYOOL 2020 are going to buy it thinking it's the whole thing.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

It's really lovely. So many people who like FFVII but don't follow games in TYOOL 2020 are going to buy it thinking it's the whole thing.

Only if they're idiots.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Only if they're idiots.

People who see an advert for "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and buy it thinking it's a remake of Final Fantasy VII are idiots?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

stev posted:

People who see an advert for "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and buy it thinking it's a remake of Final Fantasy VII are idiots?

Yeah, people who buy things based on ads without even doing a cursory Google search to get a little more info are idiots.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

It's been heavily publicised in virtually all forms of media so unless they live under a rock then yeah

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Elentor posted:

Let's be honest though it is a very UE4 environment.

True. Tearing up the Shinra tower will be great. Thank you for reminding me you can go back there.

I just defeated Ultimate Weapon, and debating how much endgame stuff I should do. Cloud is already a murder machine with Deathblow-Added Cut, along with maxed out cover and counter. Yuffie is dropping Ultima-Steal As Well on fools, and Cid is using 2XCut and Comet2 or Phoenix as a mix between physical and magic.

Might get a gold chocobo just because they’re cute, not that I care about KOTR. Definitely have to get omnislash.

You guys have any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This bugged me during FF7R's demo but uh... "Mah-Ko" or "May-Ko"?

I always thought it was "May-ko".