Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

New Jack is often correct in his words and incorrect in his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

I just a got quick question in regards to the CTE from the Benoit episode. When they examined Benoit's brain, they talked about how much his brain had degenerated due to the CTE, but wouldn't decomposition have also played a part in some of the degradation between when he died and when they began to examine his brain? Is it just a matter of one rot differing from another?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm not smart enough to know all the details but I know CTE is detected from autopsy by looking for a specific kind of degeneration. So it'd look different from decomposition or something like damage from Alzheimer's.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Heckie Holmes posted:

I just a got quick question in regards to the CTE from the Benoit episode. When they examined Benoit's brain, they talked about how much his brain had degenerated due to the CTE, but wouldn't decomposition have also played a part in some of the degradation between when he died and when they began to examine his brain? Is it just a matter of one rot differing from another?

I think the mentioned it's the build up of tau proteins that is the sign of degeneration from CTE

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

I think the mentioned it's the build up of tau proteins that is the sign of degeneration from CTE

Yea they showed the slides of his brain

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I should note that while I don't doubt that Benoit's brain was hosed up, the slides shared publicly of his brain tissue bear noticeable similarities to the ones where Dr. Omalu zoomed in extra far to make more questionable brains look riddled with CTE. Compare them with what's laid out here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/sports/cte-bennet-omalu/

WWE has also long claimed that Omalu didn't keep any chain of custody records and that there's thus no scientifically certain proof that it was Chris Benoit's brain. I've pretty much given up on trying to determine if that's true. The lawyer from the WWE concussion lawsuits disputes this, citing Omalu's pathology report: https://wweconcussionlawsuitnews.com/memory-of-chris-benoit-cte-wrestler-mistreatment-haunt-mcmahon-wwe-legacy/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

God I just watched all of the Benoit episodes. Jesus Christ poor loving Chavo, and David and Nancy's sister. GODDAMN POOR EVERYONE man. :smith: Just the first part also being about Eddie as well and his troubles just.....man. I choked up again when they had the footage of them hugging each other in the ring. And the utter profound sadness Chris must have had when Eddie died. He did something so loving monstrous to his kid and wife.......gently caress man.

Is it me or did Jericho sort of come off as just jaded about things? Just like in general. How he spoke and I guess general attitude.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Jiro posted:

Is it me or did Jericho sort of come off as just jaded about things? Just like in general. How he spoke and I guess general attitude.

I think he is generally tired of discussing it. He was not in WWE at the time that this happened and so he became the non-wwe guy to speak on shows. I remember him arguing with people about steroids, roid rage and wrestling causing people to be violent (kids imitating it). After 13 years, it has probably just become something that he can toss out some responses because that is all he has left.

I listened to the Lapsed Fan podcast about Benoit. What were they talking about when it came to Nowinski and Omalu separating. They made it sound like Nowinski sold his soul to WWE afterwards while Bix just made it sound like Omalu was being shady.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jiro posted:

God I just watched all of the Benoit episodes. Jesus Christ poor loving Chavo, and David and Nancy's sister. GODDAMN POOR EVERYONE man. :smith: Just the first part also being about Eddie as well and his troubles just.....man. I choked up again when they had the footage of them hugging each other in the ring. And the utter profound sadness Chris must have had when Eddie died. He did something so loving monstrous to his kid and wife.......gently caress man.

I think it would be hard not to be jaded at this point when you see a bunch of your friends die young over the course of 25 years or so.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What happened to New Jack's forehead?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

punk rebel ecks posted:

Years of blading during matches

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
it happens mostly when you're wrestling every night and blading every night. the cuts are superficial and heal pretty quick usually without scarring but if you constantly re-open them you'll get scar tissue buildup and suddenly you can hold quarters in your forehead slots

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

it happens mostly when you're wrestling every night and blading every night. the cuts are superficial and heal pretty quick usually without scarring but if you constantly re-open them you'll get scar tissue buildup and suddenly you can hold quarters in your forehead slots

Abdullah the Butcher's grooves from blading are so deep he can wedge a poker chip in the groove and use his forehead muscles to pop the chip out

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I think he is generally tired of discussing it. He was not in WWE at the time that this happened and so he became the non-wwe guy to speak on shows. I remember him arguing with people about steroids, roid rage and wrestling causing people to be violent (kids imitating it). After 13 years, it has probably just become something that he can toss out some responses because that is all he has left.

I listened to the Lapsed Fan podcast about Benoit. What were they talking about when it came to Nowinski and Omalu separating. They made it sound like Nowinski sold his soul to WWE afterwards while Bix just made it sound like Omalu was being shady.
Maybe a combination of the two?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Abdullah the Butcher's grooves from blading are so deep he can wedge a poker chip in the groove and use his forehead muscles to pop the chip out

This is funny because New Jack hates Abdullah, mostly for right reasons, but also because he claims Abby's forehead isn't legit like his and is body modifications.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

This is funny because New Jack hates Abdullah, mostly for right reasons, but also because he claims Abby's forehead isn't legit like his and is body modifications.

lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

I've seen maybe 5 Abby matches, and the only one I've seen where he didn't blade was him squashing someone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aye Doc posted:

he stabbed a dude in the neck and back 9 times. please do not reduce it down to "Blading Gone Wrong." even if Lane went to New Jack before the match and said "hey man, can you blade me up a little in here?" how the gently caress do you get from that to New Jack stabbing him repeatedly

asking new jack to blade you up a little is like asking a wild animal to just maul you a little. it is probably one of the dumbest things you can do, on this planet earth, as a human being. this probably should have been clear after the FIRST goddamn time he responded to a dude asking him to blade him by going :unsmigghh: and stabbing him nearly to death in the ring.

e: like, you'd think "do not loving ask new jack to blade you" would be one of those things that's just sort of obvious. like i dunno. clearly nothing that's said about him is wrong, but... this is a business with a lot of completely unmanageable dangers who'll gently caress you up for almost literally no reason, because wrestling tends to attract insane people. someone who's a manageable danger, where you can do very obvious things to prevent him from going psycho, seems at the bare minimum distinct from that, if not necessarily better in the long run.

i think we're more on the same page than not, frankly, and i'm just a bit more cynical about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Same thing that happened to Abdullah the Butcher's head. It's easy to tell when a wrestler is part of the hardcore wrestling scene because their craniums look like topographic maps of the planet Mars.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think we're more on the same page than not, frankly, and i'm just a bit more cynical about it.

I'm not going to say you're wrong. I just feel like "will definitely not stab the poo poo out of you" should have been the bare minimum by the mid-nineties.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Macrame_God posted:

Same thing that happened to Abdullah the Butcher's head. It's easy to tell when a wrestler is part of the hardcore wrestling scene because their craniums look like topographic maps of the planet Mars.

That, plus like 80% of lucha brawlers working into their 60s

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Let me know if anyone else remembers hearing this story from a wrestler on a podcast. I forget who, but someone was saying they had a match booked against Gypsy Joe. So the wrestler walks into the locker room that night and he sees this dude who is like 60 years old. And the other wrestlers backstage tell him "Hey this Gypsy Joe dude used to be popular, but just take it real easy on him. He's an old man now." So the wrestler throws the weakest punch ever, and Joe hits him back with a wallop. And Joe is throwing crazy stiff chops, and slowly the wrestler realized he was getting ribbed and that Gypsy Joe was a crazy old dude, and that match just turns into this super rough brawl with two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other. And if I remember, the wrestler got the joke and found it funny and was down to have that match so it was cool.

I don't remember him linking it to the New Jack incident, but is there a chance someone thought it would be a good idea to play a prank on New Jack and didn't smarten him up to what Gypsy Joe was like?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

for a realistic effect, you need to have this playing through the New Jack match footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8sDp65dyeA&t=82s

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So is the new episode going to up be n Vice's webstie at 10pm or on network TV?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is the new episode going to up be n Vice's webstie at 10pm or on network TV?

It's airing on Vice TV right now. Not sure if its going up on the site or their youtube channel though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished the episode.

So...is New Jack in kayfabe or is he a real life sociopath?

His logic works like a wife beater.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Considering the Benoit 2-parter we got, watching the New Jack episode was a breath of fresh air. Like I know it’s morbid and all but I could not stop laughing during the first 10-15 min with the SMW promos

Even the part about Vic Grimes had a bit of dark humor behind it https://streamable.com/1ftgy

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This episode was so funny, yet absolutely horrifying. I felt sorry for all those wrestlers who got hosed up by Jack UNTIL the reveal that most of them willingly got back in the ring with him

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Agreed, a hosed up but at least somewhat lighter episode. BFA next week should be fun as well, then I assume they'll follow it with Owen Hart to bring us all back to reality.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Agreed, a hosed up but at least somewhat lighter episode. BFA next week should be fun as well, then I assume they'll follow it with Owen Hart to bring us all back to reality.

Owens the last episode of this series from all the reports i read.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finished the episode.

So...is New Jack in kayfabe or is he a real life sociopath?

His logic works like a wife beater.

new jack is mostly gimmick

he said he was going to kill bruce mitchell and then when they met he didn't do anything

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

new jack is mostly gimmick

he said he was going to kill bruce mitchell and then when they met he didn't do anything

So why does he do all these assaults then?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

not sure the source, but wikipedia has jimmy snuka the week after BFA, and dino bravo the week after that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because he's crazy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it's legitimately this

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/125437560418865152?s=20

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

punk rebel ecks posted:

The common denominator seems to be Jack, who is already kind of a sociopath, getting super coked up before shooting on people.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Jack says everything he does is an attempted murder when he really only has like 4 or 5 attempted murders. He's working but also he has tried to kill people. I still weirdly like him? He's really loving complicated and a good example of how complicated people can be.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

The common denominator seems to be Jack, who is already kind of a sociopath, getting super coked up before shooting on people.

Makes sense. I just wonder how legit his no remorse stuff is.

... what?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, Jack says everything he does is an attempted murder when he really only has like 4 or 5 attempted murders. He's working but also he has tried to kill people. I still weirdly like him? He's really loving complicated and a good example of how complicated people can be.
1 attempted murder is too much for me.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

punk rebel ecks posted:

Makes sense. I just wonder how legit his no remorse stuff is.

... what?

1 attempted murder is too much for me.

jack is crazy and his character is crazy, so he purposefully does crazy things to further his character some of which are illegal. does this mean he's actually crazy? yes yes it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It seems for all the world like it's one part He's Working, one part blackout anger problem