Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

DMC4 got lurked, thanks for being so generous in any case though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

veni veni veni posted:

I don't have anything to add to this, but it sums up why I can't stand RE6 pretty nicely. it really is just completely mindless. RE has gone through all sorts of changes and iterations over the years, but I've never felt less engaged with the series than RE6.

Yeah we're sticking with it for now but I don't see it actually even being completed. I have to lol at NEO UMBRELLA though. Remember in RE1 when Umbrella was just some random evil corporation Wesker was betraying? Then in RE4 he wanted to re-form Umbrella. Later other folks re-form Umbrella as good guys now in RE7, some other people decide they want to call their evil organization NEO UMBRELLA in RE6? Like who were the conctractors/permitters/etc. that let them build a massive skyscraper with an Umbrella logo in the lobby after all the poo poo that went down in the setting by then :laffo:

Neither of us care about trophies as far as earning them goes, but it's always fascinating to us to look at the rarity of some of them, how many people completed the game or not past a certain point and stuff like that. I think it's notable that like a large majority of RE6 players bailed after finishing Leon/Helena's campaign lol

The Question IRL posted:

That must have been a thing in games in the mid 90’s. I remember reading the ingame files for Metal Gear Solid and they talked about Solid Snake being of British and Japanese descent, I think.

A lot of comics in general too, I think a lot of nerd stuff at that point optimistically was like "it's the near-ish future/a sci-fi setting, racism is over now therefore multi-ethnic and multiracial people are the norm as main characters." Marvel went in hard for that when they launched their 2099 comics, it was pretty cool honestly.

Wanderer posted:

With RE in particular, it's because the games are extensively based on American movies. Shinji Mikami is an enormous film geek, so as ImpAtom noted, the first few games are heavily inspired by the original Romero "Dead Trilogy," and RE4 has the same basic cinematography as a Lucio Fulci zombie flick. There's actually a sequence in Code Veronica that's basically a shot-for-shot remake of a scene from Return of the Living Dead III.

Later creators on the series have apparently felt real comfortable continuing that legacy of film swipes. The first Revelations couldn't be more obviously inspired by Cameron's The Abyss, the Lucas sequences in RE7 are straight out of the Saw movies, the first hour of RE5 is based heavily off of Black Hawk Down, etc.

Something I love about the series I posted about earlier is how RE1 specifically is much much more inspired by Italian horror flicks that made the video nasty list, and how some aspects of those movies still survive and are major parts of the canon like the bad guys being basically nobility-level eugenicists with ultra decadent handlings, and stuff like the lighting especially. REmake doubles down on this with the lighting made to even more emphasize stuff like Anthropophagus but also the general aesthetic you had in those movies. It was the result of them keeping a room dark and just putting a spotlight in a corner so you didnt' realize they were filming in an empty warehouse or a school gym but the result definitely became the look for that kind of movie. Like the lighting of the lab in in RE1 isn't the slick, white future science facility you see in RE2 (which borrows far more from American movies) you'd see in American sci-fi stuff, it's the darkly lit lab you'd see in stuff like The Other Hell or Contamination. The little "FEAR can't kill you, but....." lines during the loading screens. The architecture of the mansion itself, it's really cool how they put all of this stuff into game form.

It's easy to see how this happened too - Cannibal Holocaust was a big hit in Japan. When that happened, to capitalize on it basically every Italian exploitation flick from the late 70s to mid 80s got a VHS release in Japan over like a three year period from ~1983 to 1986, which is exactly when a l teens/early 20s Shinji MIkami would have been getting super engrossed in this stuff.

But it's so cool to me how Resident Evil is able to be a pastiche of all of these older horror movies while still also putting it all together to be its own thing, it transcends just being a brainless ripoff like a lot of games do and is a big part of why the series is still around today imo.

I wrote a thing about this a few years ago, the site it was for doesn't exist anymore but I have a PDF of it here if people want to read it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-q-aZy7Z-2i8ctYhdXkXMjX1YoInCZ6

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Basticle posted:

I claimed RE0, thanks my guy

Maybe now I'll finally beat it, I got so frustrated with the Gamecube version I gave up.

Here’s a tip,leave the grappling hook in the mansion save area,it takes up too many loving slots and it’s only used a few times,probably the most irritating thing in the entire game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/12646/carlos-short-hair-care

There, everyone can stop whining about Carlos' magnificent hair. :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Reading the movie talk has made me realise that despite loving the RE series I've only actually seen Dawn of the Dead and Braindead as far as proper zombie films go. Which ones would everyone recommend as far as RE influences go?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I adore that crazy Italian horror films had as much influence on Japanese horror videogames as they did. It makes for a really interesting flavor.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Snagged Rev2 Episode 1. Rad to have the one that restarted an unbroken streak of good RE games.

Umbrella Chronicles what? Never heard of it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Convex posted:

Reading the movie talk has made me realise that despite loving the RE series I've only actually seen Dawn of the Dead and Braindead as far as proper zombie films go. Which ones would everyone recommend as far as RE influences go?

28 days later,don't watch the sequel it's beyond poo poo.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

28 days later,don't watch the sequel it's beyond poo poo.

The first 10 minutes of 28 Weeks Later are amazing though

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Definitely watch the original Night of the Living Dead, they failed to copyright it properly so it's freely available on YouTube. There's a few visual nods to it in RE1 at least, such as the mounted deer head in one of the rooms.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mulva posted:

Snagged Rev2 Episode 1. Rad to have the one that restarted an unbroken streak of good RE games.

Umbrella Chronicles what? Never heard of it.

I liked Darkside Chronicles but that may just be the soundtrack talking.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Neo Rasa posted:

My wife and I have been re-playing many an RE game lately and just realized neither of us had touched 6 at any point since the demo years ago. I have it on PS4 because I got some RE bundle at some point so figured okay how bad can this game REALLY be and like, god drat, it's pretty bad. It's just so weirdly brainless compared to other RE games in the main series. And I don't mean that from the emphasis on action and QTEs but like, the way you can't look at lots of stuff in the environment to get little descriptions of things, the lack of files to pick up. We went with Leon's campaign first since I remember people saying that one in general was best but it becomes a weird Left 4 Dead clone 1/3 of the way into it? Like you really can feel how this was multiple teams' stuff getting jammed together. Why is this a dumb action game where you slide and run around a lot to melee hordes of zombies but also if you want to heal yourself you have to, pick up an herb, select the herb, combine it with other herbs, and then transfer it to tablet case, exit that menu, and then press a button solely devoted to using herbs to use it?

The damage feels really hard to read because of that unless your health is in the red so it shows up on screen constantly, like in one part of the game it was like anything touched my character at all it was a hard knockdown and I had to wait to get revived no matter how much I healed? They made something way worse than "FINE/CAUTION/DANGER" which was fine as it was. Like why even have health at that point. Just an all around bad job of conveying information.

It's just crazy how slick and polished the game seems on the surface vs. how unpolished it feels to actually play and interact with.

I know I'm not saying anything new here but folks really weren't exaggerating. The melee moves are a lot of fun but that's like all the game has going for it.

To make sure I wasn't crazy I re-started RE5, game I previously considered to be bad, for a little bit after and that game is crazy intense in comparison to 6.

part of the reason RE6 gets such a bad reputation is that people who hate RE6 because they played the Leon campaign first tell other people the Leon campaign is the best campaign and those people play it first and all of them think "Wow the game doesn't get any better than this" and, get this, the Leon campaign is not remotely the best campaign.

the jake and sherry campaign is absolutely the best, the chris campaign makes people mad because they will scream call of duty but its actually pretty well paced and largely fine, the leon campaign is miserably paced and the partner also gets the worst campaign if you dont want to count the weird patched in hunk in the ada story.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Caidin posted:

I liked Darkside Chronicles but that may just be the soundtrack talking.

Darkside Chronicle's version of Code Veronica's best song is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0LMPMvsZ9s

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Hunk mission in Umbrella Chronicles was great, with Hunk just sort of casually fighting through the sewers while the world died on his radio

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

part of the reason RE6 gets such a bad reputation is that people who hate RE6 because they played the Leon campaign first tell other people the Leon campaign is the best campaign and those people play it first and all of them think "Wow the game doesn't get any better than this" and, get this, the Leon campaign is not remotely the best campaign.

the jake and sherry campaign is absolutely the best, the chris campaign makes people mad because they will scream call of duty but its actually pretty well paced and largely fine, the leon campaign is miserably paced and the partner also gets the worst campaign if you dont want to count the weird patched in hunk in the ada story.

The city level after the university in Leon’s campaign is the best part of the game. Unfortunately it’s only 1 level.

And please do not insult Ada’s best friend.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played Resident Evil 6 on release and all the campaigns are mostly hot garbage. Chris and Ada's keep the scripted events, gimmicks, QTEs, etc. to a minimum, so they were the "best" and I'm using that term loosely because they're still full of terrible boss fights and trial and error segments. People nowadays are more positive on it because the franchise (and Capcom) is back on track quality wise and it can be found for less than $20 on current gen instead of being a full priced title. The combat is its only saving grace and that's never really utilized properly outside a gimmick mode with a handful of maps and a time limit (Mercenaries).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jake and Sherry's campaign is fun and so is invading people as a zombie

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

The city level after the university in Leon’s campaign is the best part of the game. Unfortunately it’s only 1 level.

people really want this to be true and its just honestly not. like the pacing is absolutely dog poo poo, although the lower paced mercenaries style open level affect is pretty cool actual game play wise. but the story just lurches so drat slow during leons first several sections and then you get to the catacombs and everything sucks.

leons campaign is the worst starter campaign and its not even close.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Convex posted:

Night of the Living Dead. I can remember my friend and I renting this when the first RE came out. It sets the table for all other zombie media, and is just a good film regardless.

Shaun of the Dead is the king of zombie comedy, but Zombieland and Fido are pretty good too.

Train to Busan is a good South Korean zombie film. Not technically zombies, but Night of the Creeps, and The Stuff are both great watches. Return of the Living Dead is another fun watch, with some good zombie effects.

If you’re looking for a good read, the World War Z novel is much better than the movie.

EDIT: I can’t really comment on if they influenced Resident Evil, especially since many came out after, but they’re all good zombie flicks that are much better than the RE movies.

And this reminds me I need to see the Sweet Home movie.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 29, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I like both Chronicles games a lot. Both have great soundtracks, and while Darkside Chronicles was probably more "justified" since Code Veronica getting a do over is a good idea, they're both super rad games to me.

Night10194 posted:

I adore that crazy Italian horror films had as much influence on Japanese horror videogames as they did. It makes for a really interesting flavor.

gently caress yeah. :hfive:

Convex posted:

This is kind of hard to answer depending on what you like most about the RE games. Now some movies on this list, there's some contention as to if they're Actually Good or not, but I'd consider these for various reasons, some just for the aesthetic or because they mix hosed up family themes with zombies.*

A lot of these are you YouTube in their entirety now, or if you have Amazon Prime or Shudder (I believe Shudder is giving people some free time on it due to the virus) many will be on that.

Anthropophagus (1980)
The Beyond (1981)
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1981)
Contamination (1980) (No zombies but lots of lab/bio explosion chat and bodies exploding in slow motion)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Ghost Galleon (1974) (not much influence on the RE series IMO but hey, templar zombies...on a boat!)
Hell of the Living Dead (1980)
House by the Cemetery (1981)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Nightmare City (1980)
Rabid (1977)
Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Return of the Living Dead 2 (1988)
Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993)
Shock Waves (1977)
Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)**
Zombie Holocaust (1980)
Zombie (1979)

*Ambiance-wise, I mean they're not really zombie or horror movies per se but you can definitely see how John Carpenter's stuff was super influential on some things in the series too.

**This is kind of a weird one, great movie but it can be difficult to find a version of it that is both uncut and also has an accurate English subtitle track, not as much of an issue if you understand Spanish but personally I'd avoid any English dubbed version of it.

A fun anecdote on this, in Japan the "Demons" series goes up to like Demons 7, and IIRC a few other unrelated western horror movies about a house like House by the Cemetery, House II, and like three others, were released like they were a single film series in Japan.

GUI posted:

I played Resident Evil 6 on release and all the campaigns are mostly hot garbage. Chris and Ada's keep the scripted events, gimmicks, QTEs, etc. to a minimum, so they were the "best" and I'm using that term loosely because they're still full of terrible boss fights and trial and error segments. People nowadays are more positive on it because the franchise (and Capcom) is back on track quality wise and it can be found for less than $20 on current gen instead of being a full priced title. The combat is its only saving grace and that's never really utilized properly outside a gimmick mode with a handful of maps and a time limit (Mercenaries).

rabidsquid posted:

You know what, I'm gonna play the whole game for sure now since these posts have me curious.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean I wouldn't, there are no "good" parts, and it's a dogfight between who is the biggest piece of poo poo wasting your time [Unless you count Ada's campaign, in which case it's unquestionable Ada. It's copy pasted sections, the worst gameplay, the worst story, and the most tedious sections. It's the shortest, so I suppose it has that going for it.].

They are all terrible, but I give Leon's the 'best' title because at least you fight a loving end boss that has something vaguely related to all the poo poo you went through.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

before you put down RE6 you owe it to yourself to play as jake and use his unarmed combat for awhile at the very least, the very first chapter of the jake campaign actually lets you brawl with it pretty well.

edit: i am on a personal crusade about RE6 in that while i don't think it's for everyone i also don't think it's a bad game and i would bet any amount of money if leons campaign had the exact same beats and a different main character people would properly rate it. i genuinely believe a lot of people only play the worst campaign (leons) as far as they can tolerate and then just quit the game, or go into the other two campaigns with a really negatively skewed attitude due to expectations about how the leon campaign was supposed to be good when its got the most problems of them all.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 29, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I played as Sherry only :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

I mean I wouldn't, there are no "good" parts, and it's a dogfight between who is the biggest piece of poo poo wasting your time [Unless you count Ada's campaign, in which case it's unquestionable Ada. It's copy pasted sections, the worst gameplay, the worst story, and the most tedious sections. It's the shortest, so I suppose it has that going for it.].

They are all terrible, but I give Leon's the 'best' title because at least you fight a loving end boss that has something vaguely related to all the poo poo you went through.

Huh?

Chris' campaign ends up with you fighting the big nasty you've seen spending the whole game investigating and Jake's ends up with you fighting the lesser Nemesis who was chasing him the whole game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If we’re talking about film influences on Resident Evil I’m going to post once again about the bizarre way in which the whole first third of Resident Evil 4 is almost copy pasted from the bonkers “village of the crazies” scene from Gymkata.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

If we’re talking about film influences on Resident Evil I’m going to post once again about the bizarre way in which the whole first third of Resident Evil 4 is almost copy pasted from the bonkers “village of the crazies” scene from Gymkata.

Absolutely gently caress yes, it rules. :hfive: The movie is amazingly stupid and fun too, an absolute must-watch. So cheap that the village of the crazies is the same location used as the courtyard for the start and end of movies obstacle course and also the same location used for the royal banquet the night before.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 29, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

RESIDENT EVIL 2 - All In-game Rewards Unlock: DL2Q0-6HG77-35EKB

Dead Rising 4: 74R3P-54RQ4-3C748

Does nobody really want a free copy of Dead Rising 4, the fourth Dead Rising game?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Does nobody really want a free copy of Dead Rising 4, the fourth Dead Rising game?

I went for it immediately but it said the code was invalid/already redeemed. IIRC if you put the codes in spoiler tags it prevents automated scraping/etc. from grabbing stuff like that (as obviously if a goon took it I would hope they would say as much).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I went for it immediately but it said the code was invalid/already redeemed. IIRC if you put the codes in spoiler tags it prevents automated scraping/etc. from grabbing stuff like that (as obviously if a goon took it I would hope they would say as much).
Ah I wasn't aware of that. If I ever do this again I'll remember for next time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Neo Rasa posted:

Absolutely gently caress yes, it rules. :hfive: The movie is amazingly stupid and fun too, an absolute must-watch. So cheap that the village of the crazies is the same location used as the courtyard for the start and end of movies obstacle course and also the same location used for the royal banquet the night before.

It’s so wildly different in convention and mood from the rest of the film, like a mini horror movie inside a dumb martial arts flick, that I could easily see how it might leave an impression on an unsuspecting young game developer in a way that manifested as a tonal touchstone for a game twenty years later.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That first village section in RE4 is so, so good. Just immediately gets you right into what RE4 is going to be like in the best way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Chris' campaign ends up with you fighting the big nasty you've seen spending the whole game investigating

You literally don't find out that giant monster is the end plan until you see it. The entire campaign up to that is "Got to get Ada, got to get Ada, got to get Ada, got to....wait, she's dead? Well poo poo, fight this giant monster in an underwater lab."

quote:

and Jake's ends up with you fighting the lesser Nemesis who was chasing him the whole game.

it shows up to bust your chops like 3 times, and it's a glorified thug being set at you by 'Ada'. Who you don't get to deal with. And it was never fun or threatening to deal with it before that point, so why do you give a poo poo? As you say, "Lesser Nemesis". It has less emotional impact than Mr. X or Nemesis, it's just this rando you fought a few times. You never have a reason to care about it.

Leon is "Simmons is kicking off a terrorist attack and killed the President" leading directly to "Lets gently caress up Simmons". There's at least some sense of climax to that. The other two just sort of end.

It's a terrible game top to bottom really.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Night10194 posted:

That first village section in RE4 is so, so good. Just immediately gets you right into what RE4 is going to be like in the best way.

Whenever I play Resident Evil 4 I run laps around the village away from all the enemies until the church bell rings which probably isn't the most fun way to do it but it's what I've always done.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks very much for all the suggestions! :)

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Mulva posted:

The RE6 Mercs mode is an absolute blast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Starsnostars posted:

Whenever I play Resident Evil 4 I run laps around the village away from all the enemies until the church bell rings which probably isn't the most fun way to do it but it's what I've always done.

But you get so many fabulous prizes if you kill lots of wily not-spanish peasants!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

You literally don't find out that giant monster is the end plan until you see it. The entire campaign up to that is "Got to get Ada, got to get Ada, got to get Ada, got to....wait, she's dead? Well poo poo, fight this giant monster in an underwater lab."

it shows up to bust your chops like 3 times, and it's a glorified thug being set at you by 'Ada'. Who you don't get to deal with. And it was never fun or threatening to deal with it before that point, so why do you give a poo poo? As you say, "Lesser Nemesis". It has less emotional impact than Mr. X or Nemesis, it's just this rando you fought a few times. You never have a reason to care about it.

Leon is "Simmons is kicking off a terrorist attack and killed the President" leading directly to "Lets gently caress up Simmons". There's at least some sense of climax to that. The other two just sort of end.

You're stretching extremely hard here. By the logic of your first argument The Tyrant has nothing to do with RE1's plot and neither does Nemesis who is just a random monster who shows up to annoy you a few times as opposed to the people directly responsible for sending Nemesis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nemesis nor Tyrant really has anything to do,with the plot?

Tyrant is just another monster that you fight as the real climax is Wesker getting shanked and lets be real RE3 doesn’t have much of a plot.

I guess Nemesis is annoying so he must die is a plot and he is chasing you and before him your just kind of wandering about

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The name of the game is Nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also fighting that mini nemesis with jakes wrestling moves is absolutely awesome, and he was a memorable boss fight at the end of that first chapter. plus the fight finisher is a callback to the first fight

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nemesis nor Tyrant really has anything to do,with the plot?

Tyrant is just another monster that you fight as the real climax is Wesker getting shanked and lets be real RE3 doesn’t have much of a plot.

kind of funny what happens to RE games when you apply the criticisms of 6 to the earlier ones :v: