Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve always said mah-ko for the last 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's Mayko, Aeris, Yoofee, and Tiedus, and no I won't change for no man.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I could see Macko, but I don't get how Mayco was such a common pronunciation for it.

I have to wonder how they will deal with Red XIII's name. He hasn't really been in anything voiced, has he? I really hope they don't try and say the whole thing every time he's mentioned.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's a loving water sports player with a water sword, I'm going to call him Tie-dus until the day I die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

I could see Macko, but I don't get how Mayco was such a common pronunciation for it.

I have to wonder how they will deal with Red XIII's name. He hasn't really been in anything voiced, has he? I really hope they don't try and say the whole thing every time he's mentioned.

They'll probably go with Red or Nanaki.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThermoPhysical posted:

This bugged me during FF7R's demo but uh... "Mah-Ko" or "May-Ko"?

I always thought it was "May-ko".

Mah-ko because the "Ma" is 魔 the first kanji for the Japanese word for magic

Regardless of the quality of FF7's translation I'm still thankful they didn't directly translate it as "magic light"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Momomo posted:

Lots of people have heard of Mako sharks and that's pronounced may-ko :ms:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So you think they'll call the future parts just like "Episode 2" or "Part 2" or will they have subtitles?

It could be fun if they just have everything be FF7R with different R words. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Harrow posted:

So you think they'll call the future parts just like "Episode 2" or "Part 2" or will they have subtitles?

It could be fun if they just have everything be FF7R with different R words. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something.

Future parts will be called FFVIII Remake, FFIX Remake, etc. Just to really gently caress with people.

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Did somebody already say tomako?

Tomako

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
FF7R2: Cloud Returns
FF7R3: Cloud Returners
FF7R4: Cloud Returnest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mah-ko and I also pronounce the shark like that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's okay to have an accent guys, not everyone pronounces everything the same.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Half the cast should pronounce it differently to the rest, and they should argue about it while you're running around doing stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mayko shark is also wrong, technically.

It does follow the rules of English phonetics though, such as they are. A single consonant surrounded by two vowels makes the first vowel have a long sound, as in "case" or "braking".

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hey guys is it Aeris or Aerith?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Earisu

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's pronounced "elentor"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Battsu is phonetically closer to Butz than Bartz.

Butz supremacy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My son is also named Butz.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Momomo posted:

I blame 4Kids.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Scalding Coffee posted:

FF7R2: Cloud Returns
FF7R3: Cloud Returnara
FF7R4: Cloud Returnaga

ftfy

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Second one should be Final Fantasy 7 Remake Disc 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Clarste posted:

Mayko shark is also wrong, technically.

No it isn't :confused:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

Hey guys is it Aeris or Aerith?

Aeristh

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

It's Barreth, not Barret :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

precision posted:

No it isn't :confused:

It's a Maori word and they pronounce it Mah-ko iirc but nobody else does.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Same but name everyone Cloud and the story becomes a case study in mental health disorders.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

WaltherFeng posted:

Same but name everyone Cloud and the story becomes a case study in mental health disorders.

The final scene of FFVII pulls back to reveal Cloud staring into a snowglobe of Midgar.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

exquisite tea posted:

It's Mayko, Aeris, Yoofee, and Tiedus, and no I won't change for no man.

I can't even imagine the pain of Always Being Wrong.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, forum SA goon Chip Cheezum has already done an in-depth informational playthrough of the demo, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did the full game at some point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Ix_429YbM

Oh wow, some people were discussing "anime grunting" and I didn't really follow, but the opening has like four people aggressively grunting at each other before a single word is said. That is impressive and pretty weird. (Also during the lull in the music, come on, just gimme the rest of Bombing Mission).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1244538864263364608

Tldr: Due to virus we have shipped copies to some places earlier, please do not spoil content new to the Remake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Could this be one of the rare cases where pre-ordering a video game is the sensible thing to do?

No, but it's definitely more justified than usual. I just hope Amazon UK is getting it early. :ohdear:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm so tempted to preorder it, but with Amazon delaying non essentials lately I'm prob just going to buy it digital, then get a physical copy later when it's on sale.

As usual Square is a bottomless pit I just throw money into

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I essentially pre-ordered (digitally) as soon as I got my ps4 because the dollar is rising as we speak and it's not like I wasn't going to play it.

The price of the digital copy of the game went up by 25% in the last month.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 30, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I usually do my pre-order a couple weeks before a game drops, so by the time I was going to do it Amazon was already starting to delay poo poo soooo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Onmi posted:

I can't even imagine the pain of Always Being Wrong.

Fortunately in your case, you don't have to imagine.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately in your case, you don't have to imagine.

You're right, because I have no imagination!

Got Em!