Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gatts posted:

Guys I'm starting to think the rise of Russia and China and the world sinking to fascism is a bad thing and needs a revolution.
jesus christ will we never rid ourselves of Star Wars chat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chairman Capone posted:

Is Hallmark really advertising it as a countdown to Christmas?

I feel like that has to be a joke... yet it is the Hallmark Channel.

Sounds like someone needs to start listening to Dave and Jeb aren't mean.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

jesus christ will we never rid ourselves of Star Wars chat?

SOmetimes I wish I could live in the future of the 80's where we fight all our wars in space, and we have flying cars and Blade Runners.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Thank u mods for doing the needful

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

SOmetimes I wish I could live in the future of the 80's where we fight all our wars in space, and we have flying cars and Blade Runners.

All of those things came true, sadly. It's just that our wars are fought in cyberspace via social media propaganda, we have Amazon delivery drones that makes flying personal transport unnecessary, and ICE are a bunch of cops who are given free rein to hunt down an underprivileged class whom they consider less than human and kill them if them deem necessary.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

All of those things came true, sadly. It's just that our wars are fought in cyberspace via social media propaganda, we have Amazon delivery drones that makes flying personal transport unnecessary, and ICE are a bunch of cops who are given free rein to hunt down an underprivileged class whom they consider less than human and kill them if them deem necessary.

Yeah, we got the lame timeline without laser hand guns

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Turns out it takes less energy to just make a bit of metal shoot really fast through someone than to make a concentrated beam of heat and light shoot fast through someone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My wife got to choose the movie last night and went with 'The Last Thing He Wanted' on Netflix. Jesus it was terrible, Anne Hathaway under mastectomy makeup, Alcohol Bender Bloat Ben Affleck and Criminally Underused Willem Dafoe. The description said it was based on the book, so I thought it was some biopic style movie about the Sandanistas, but apparently it was written as a airport gift store knockoff Danielle Steele.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is Anne Hathaway just in the paycheck stage of her career or what, thats like 3+ stinkers within the last 2 yrs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

Is Anne Hathaway just in the paycheck stage of her career or what, thats like 3+ stinkers within the last 2 yrs

She's probably just coasting at this point. She's got her Oscar, she's done the big blockbuster movies, she lives on the Upper West Side in New York and she's married to an ultra-rich businessman. So I imagine she works on projects she finds interesting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Timby posted:

She's probably just coasting at this point. She's got her Oscar, she's done the big blockbuster movies, she lives on the Upper West Side in New York and she's married to an ultra-rich businessman. So I imagine she works on projects she finds interesting.

“Mom banger simulator you say?”

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Timby posted:

Maybe she is trying to do just enough to keep her SAG card?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

She can ride the "won Oscar/charming Oscar host" popularity for a couple more stinkers.
Didn't oceans 8 make a reasonable amount of money?
I still don't know what the hell people we're thinking in making serenity, but she probably did it to hang out and chill with mcconaughey again, and hell, who can blame her.

Edit:lol the dude who wrote and directed serenity also wrote or directed dirty little things, Locke, taboo, and peaky fookin blinders.how in the hell?

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 25, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

rich people want more money

news at 11

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

rich people want more money

news at 11

https://youtu.be/q3CLc0IGstk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

she was so wrong for that. Then again I don't think Christopher Nolan knew what to do with the part

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

My wife got to choose the movie last night and went with 'The Last Thing He Wanted' on Netflix. Jesus it was terrible, Anne Hathaway under mastectomy makeup, Alcohol Bender Bloat Ben Affleck and Criminally Underused Willem Dafoe. The description said it was based on the book, so I thought it was some biopic style movie about the Sandanistas, but apparently it was written as a airport gift store knockoff Danielle Steele.

Not an airport lounge book at all, it's a slim, almost novella-length fiction by Joan Didion. I really liked the book but that doesn't mean it makes a good film, or certainly an action or drama piece. The book is fairly internal, lots of trying to catch the atmosphere of a place rather than events. And, if I remember correctly, the big climax takes place off stage and we're simple told about it.

Or, in summary, when I heard they were making a film of it, my reaction was "Really?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I am sorry to report that Stuart Gordon has been permanently postponed from life itself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

piratepilates posted:

I think the last movie I saw in theatres was Cats, and I am very pleased about that.

I wish that was the last movie I saw, but I'm pleased with my last few choices (Gretel & Hansel, The Lodge).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cinemas in China are planning to reopen and they're going to screen Avatar, Avengers, and Inception among others.

This virus might led to Avatar becoming the highest grossing film ever again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Cinemas in China are planning to reopen and they're going to screen Avatar, Avengers, and Inception among others.

This virus might led to Avatar becoming the highest grossing film ever again.

lmao

it's gonna be the most pirated movie of all time

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and thought it was a lot better than I expected. It had some fun character moments and I liked that one of the chekov's guns was played around with - You expect the wedding dress to be used to escape the room, Aurora fools the guards into thinking she's done the predictable thing and while they are distracted she slips away through the door and locks them in, but then later she needs to escape from a floor down, so goes to the dress-rope and actually uses it this time. I thought that that was cute. Also I like that the Misunderstanding that seeds the main conflict was deliberately engineered by the villain, it made everyone look so much less dumb. Also Aurora seemed smarter in this installment, or at least capable of taking care of herself.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I just watched Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and thought it was a lot better than I expected. It had some fun character moments and I liked that one of the chekov's guns was played around with - You expect the wedding dress to be used to escape the room, Aurora fools the guards into thinking she's done the predictable thing and while they are distracted she slips away through the door and locks them in, but then later she needs to escape from a floor down, so goes to the dress-rope and actually uses it this time. I thought that that was cute. Also I like that the Misunderstanding that seeds the main conflict was deliberately engineered by the villain, it made everyone look so much less dumb. Also Aurora seemed smarter in this installment, or at least capable of taking care of herself.

Given your username, I'm surprised you didn't mention the villain being a literal imperialist who developed a biological weapon that kills magical creatures.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 29, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hee, good catch. Hadn't noticed the parallel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I think is kind of funny is that they're advertising the home release of Harley Quinn and despite the vo calling it "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey" the image they show on screen has the original title.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Reminds me of when they tried to ad-hoc rename Edge of Tomorrow to Live. Die. Repeat (which is far, far better name).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Reminds me of when they tried to ad-hoc rename Edge of Tomorrow to Live. Die. Repeat (which is far, far better name).

Wasn't that the original name?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PJOmega posted:

That was All You Need is Kill

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly all those are pretty bad
At least All You Need is Kill sounds sorta interesting, I guess
Decent film though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PJOmega posted:

The advertising campaign used Live Die Repeat a lot.

Cadence Shmadence
Jan 17, 2020

by Reene
Live. Die. Repeat. Was the movie tag line.
Edge of tomorrow was the movie title.
All you need is kill was the name of the manga.

Live. Die. Repeat. Sucks rear end as a title.

It should have been all you need is kill, but edge of tomorrow was better than the rebrand.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mission Impossible: No Time To Die

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Should have called it Groundhog's Day 2: But this time Tom Cruise dies Again and Again

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's a Tom Cruise movie that plays to both his fans and his detractors. One the one hand, you get to see Tom Cruise in an action movie being a badass, and on the other hand, you get to see Tom Cruise dying over and over again. Win/Win!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Also Emily Blunt!

Anyone else seen Russian Doll?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I watched an episode or two then forgot about it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Give it a second chance, it's a good show.didnt quite stick the landing but it's enjoyable.

Not as good as edge of tomorrow though

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Don't waste your time on Russian Doll.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

got any sevens posted:

Also Emily Blunt!

And Bill Paxton as the dropship sergeant, the role he was born to play!

quote:

Anyone else seen Russian Doll?

I loved it but I'm a sucker for Natasha Lyonne and that certain aloneness you get when every day is exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked Russian Doll but the way some of my friends latched onto it as some amazing iconic thing reminds me that most poo poo is so bad sometimes the okay blows away