Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lister posted:

I do. It has to do with how much effort the creative team puts into crafting the world that they're building. If this were a stand alone IP it wouldn't bother me, but with Star Trek there is a history there that needs to be considered if a series is going to take place in that universe. Either they didn't care enough to pay attention, they didn't have the knowledge/skills/abilities to get it right, or they didn't have the time or budget to do it. Any one of those would effect other things in the show's production and lead to a weak first season. Eventually we'll hear the stories of what happened behind the scenes and understand what happened.

See I can get the argument about the look, the design language being maintained but my eyes glaze over when people talk about the technobabble of the positioning of deflectors and poo poo.

Lister posted:

I see this and then I remember that Discovery had an original ~60 second CGI sequence of molecules coming together when Burnham replicated her uniform. They must have overspent so much on that show and now Picard took the hit.

I’m pretty certain spending on one show wouldn’t directly effect the other like that.

If the budget on Picard is stretched I bet it’s mainly because of Patrick Stewart’s salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

I read somewhere that Trekyards found out that they had just finished the VFX last week for the show.
COVID19 and WFH probably affected the schedule in some ways, then.

I know CBS Trek has patched in some cgi before (Shuttle in one of the short treks). I wounder if they would/could go back and alter this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The weird thing is that it's not even a question of them not having had the CG models for different ships. They did, and showed them at Utopia Planitia right there at the beginning of the series.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Drone posted:

The weird thing is that it's not even a question of them not having had the CG models for different ships. They did, and showed them at Utopia Planitia right there at the beginning of the series.

Also if you have one model, why not craft a situation where having a single model makes sense? Say, hey, you know, maybe we don't need 200 ships a side for a space battle. Maybe an intimate, 1 on 1. You could even show the real romulan warship blowing up the orchids easily to show its threat to the settlement.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don’t even necessarily dislike the idea of the federation having shitloads of ships of the same class! maybe after the dominion war they realized how hard the Defiant punched above its weight class and designed a ship that’s essentially a bird-of-prey equivalent that’s armed to the teeth, has a crew south of two dozen people, and can be cranked out en masse, it’s just that the execution sucks

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Riker's fleet needed some Defiants, Akiras, Steamrunners, and Sovereigns to go with the Curiosities.

Not just because Defiants, Akiras, and Sovereigns are combat beasts. I just think they look cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kazy posted:

Speaking of, where were the Q during the last time the "advanced synths" attacked? You'd think that'd be one of the few things they'd interfere for.

That was during the millienium where everyone was The Scarecrow.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Me, a fan and defender of Star Trek: Picard:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Me, a fan and defender of Star Trek: Picard:

I, meanwhile, am overcome with a profound and earth-shattering sense of "Who gives a poo poo? :shrug:"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah. I disliked the montage sequence because in a programme with too much telling instead of showing it was something that would have been better conveyed through exposition. I don't give the slightest gently caress that they licensed stuff to use in it. It's absolutely no different to using stock footage for aerial shots.

It's not like the concept of being lazy as gently caress with stock footage is exactly foreign to Star Trek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah. I disliked the montage sequence because in a programme with too much telling instead of showing it was something that would have been better conveyed through exposition. I don't give the slightest gently caress that they licensed stuff to use in it. It's absolutely no different to using stock footage for aerial shots.

It's not like the concept of being lazy as gently caress with stock footage is exactly foreign to Star Trek.

Let me tell you how irrationally angry I get whenever The Flash uses stock aerial footage of Portland, Oregon to convey that they are in fact in the very real location of Central City, USA and how lazy it was that they just didn't film there instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Let me tell you how irrationally angry I get whenever The Flash uses stock aerial footage of Portland, Oregon to convey that they are in fact in the very real location of Central City, USA and how lazy it was that they just didn't film there instead.

It did bother me that for like four seasons, Leverage pretended that Portland was Boston, and then in the final season they finally moved the setting to Portland because they couldn't fake it anymore.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I always enjoy the stage of the thread where people renegotiate the meaning of good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

nine-gear crow posted:

That really boils my piss!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If you're going to try and represent a vision that is so horrifying that it causes people to pick up rocks to brutally commit suicide with, or pick up disruptors to blow their own brains out, it may be a good idea to put more care in to it than choosing stock footage of "generic robot touching generic human hand", "generic person aging quickly", "generic robots typing on generic keyboards in a generic void". The entire arc of the season and the motivating force of every character in the show is stemming from that vision and how it influences people who see it, using generic stock footage that fits in a corporate powerpoint is a questionable choice.

I'm really not sure why they decided to show it at all, it would take real talent to film something that would really do a vision that powerful justice.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

marktheando posted:

I’m pretty certain spending on one show wouldn’t directly effect the other like that.

If the budget on Picard is stretched I bet it’s mainly because of Patrick Stewart’s salary.

They weren't in production at the same time, so they wouldn't directly. It's impossible to know exactly how much was being paid for what unless there's a leak on accounting documents or someone talks. I'm speculating, but I believe that Disco was expensive enough to make the profit margins pretty thin. The executives in charge might have seen that the expense of Disco isn't worth it and slashed everything for Picard. There was some news that Netflix fronted the bill for the first season or two of Disco in exchange for international distribution rights, so it's possible that they overspent and Netflix just rubber stamped it. Amazon prime has the rights for Picard and they might not have been willing to front as much as Netflix did.

I've seen others point to Patrick Stewart as expensive, and I'm sure he did cost more than the other actors, but he's never been an A-list celebrity. I don't think he alone brought down the budget enough to excuse every cheap aspect of the series. I could be wrong though and I do wish that one day we know for sure.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

For all its faults, you have to admit the concept of modern media- the ability to display synced images and sounds in rapid enough succession that it appears to be an actual "happening" moment, is pretty amazing. Gotta give Picard at least a 6.5/10 for that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

piratepilates posted:

If you're going to try and represent a vision that is so horrifying that it causes people to pick up rocks to brutally commit suicide with, or pick up disruptors to blow their own brains out, it may be a good idea to put more care in to it than choosing stock footage of "generic robot touching generic human hand", "generic person aging quickly", "generic robots typing on generic keyboards in a generic void". The entire arc of the season and the motivating force of every character in the show is stemming from that vision and how it influences people who see it, using generic stock footage that fits in a corporate powerpoint is a questionable choice.

I'm really not sure why they decided to show it at all, it would take real talent to film something that would really do a vision that powerful justice.

I mean, it makes sense to use stock footage for things like animals decomposing and genes being spliced or whatever. That's the kind of archival footage that is frequently used in movie or show montages. But the corporate robots... I dunno. In a show about robots it seems like cheating to me somehow.

Also, I don't have a problem with them showing the admonition, but they should have kept it rapidly-edited so you couldn't get a good look at anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The mystery box should have been that vision. Don't ever show it to us, just have people describe it and have each person describe it differently to show that it can be interpreted many different ways. Showing us hacked together poo poo that shows that robots go bad and kill everyone and then later having an android watch it and say that it really means that it's the humans that are bad and the robots have secret space snakes that will save them was stupid. Were the snakes the ancients? Or were those just the weapons the ancients would use to kill the organics? How will the androids talk to the snakes to live in robot harmony?

The whole thing feels like someone watched The Orville and decided evil robots was a good idea but then did it worse.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Nerds? In my star trek thread?!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I mean, it makes sense to use stock footage for things like animals decomposing and genes being spliced or whatever. That's the kind of archival footage that is frequently used in movie or show montages. But the corporate robots... I dunno. In a show about robots it seems like cheating to me somehow.

Also, I don't have a problem with them showing the admonition, but they should have kept it rapidly-edited so you couldn't get a good look at anything.

yeah definitely on some of the harder footage to source. the use of the other stock footage in the admonition is like the rest of the show -- questionable, cheap looking, bland, and forgettable aside from the trek namesake.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

piratepilates posted:

yeah definitely on some of the harder footage to source. the use of the other stock footage in the admonition is like the rest of the show -- questionable, cheap looking, bland, and forgettable aside from the trek namesake.

I mean, it WOULD explain why that lady shot herself.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek: Picard - I'm really not sure why they decided to show it at all

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/1244358834921058306

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The stock footage admonition is lazy as gently caress and definitely one of those things better left to viewer imagination, but it’s also less than a minute of total screentime. It’s like the copy+paste Riker fleet; it’s ugly but it gets the point across and the show has much bigger flaws to argue about endlessly until the next season airs, so who gives a poo poo?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The stock footage admonition is lazy as gently caress and definitely one of those things better left to viewer imagination, but it’s also less than a minute of total screentime. It’s like the copy+paste Riker fleet; it’s ugly but it gets the point across and the show has much bigger flaws to argue about endlessly until the next season airs, so who gives a poo poo?

I think you're failing to understand how important it is to own those people who enjoy things.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I agree about the admonition. It's not like what we saw was meant to be the entire message anyway, they obviously got more content than we did.

I don't agree that the lazy Riker fleet doesn't matter. A bunch of pencil erasers on a sheet of construction paper could "get the point across" but this is a visual storytelling medium and in Trek, the ships have always been important characters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JEAN-LUC MICHAEL, BLOW UP STOP WATCHING THE drat SHIP SHOW! </alfrewoodard>

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also Sikso poisoned the atmosphere of a possibly populated planet rendering it uninhabitable for generations. Whep.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Sikso poisoned the atmosphere of a possibly populated planet rendering it uninhabitable for generations. Whep.

And orchestrated the assassination of a diplomatic guest to start a war.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Galaxy brain deflection. "Actually there are much larger problems with this show that's why these flaws don't count and you should stop talking about them."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arglebargle III posted:

Galaxy brain deflection. "Actually there are much larger problems with this show that's why these flaws don't count and you should stop talking about them."

I never said they didn’t count, I implied the posters complaining about it were being pathetically pedantic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ah well should we talk about how the characters from the chateau disappeared or how the Borg cube was pointless, or how bringing data back had no effect on the plot or the synth behavior, or how killing Picard did nothing except getting the writers out of a hole the dug for themselves?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arglebargle III posted:

Ah well should we talk about how the characters from the chateau disappeared or how the Borg cube was pointless, or how bringing data back had no effect on the plot or the synth behavior, or how killing Picard did nothing except getting the writers out of a hole the dug for themselves?

Oh gently caress you got me, I’m completely owned now despite bringing up several of those exact same issues with the show in my own posts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It IS ok for something like the borg cube to be "pointless" just world building and a cool set.

Shame about the thousands of deaths, though

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh gently caress you got me, I’m completely owned now despite bringing up several of those exact same issues with the show in my own posts.

I was being serious.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I, meanwhile, am overcome with a profound and earth-shattering sense of "Who gives a poo poo? :shrug:"

Well, obviously the people making Picard dont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

The thing is, they didn't really need to kill Picard either.

There's that brief hint in an early episode that he will have a problem with his brain down the road, but there was nothing really set up to indicate that it was an immediate issue until what, Episode 8? 9?

It could have been something left for Season 2.