Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Martman posted:

Haha oddly she is actually allergic to avocado. But yes, she read and watched that I think, and got really into the subject for a little while. I know the Kirkland stuff is supposed to be pretty good, and I think it actually comes from Italy! But I was just hoping there would be a way to find more info about the dates; we'll definitely taste it too but the date would be a good way for me to convince her to just get that stuff because it's good enough.

if you read the link posted earlier, you will see the author/star of the book/movie saying that kirkland olive oil is one of the best you can get in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTWFsEi0aE

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Has anyone checked how the frozen section is now? I want to grab some frozen veggies amongst other things.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I went on a kick for a while where I would have olive oil and vinegar with dinner nearly every day, and I can't say I could tell the difference between any of the 3 kirkland olive oils, even the biggest one that's only 15% evoo tastes the same to me. But I haven't tried the toscano olive oil, but if I can't tell between the pure evoo and the 15% I can't imagine the toscano as being much different.

edit: Haha jamie oliver cooks like I do. There are a few cheats to make your cooking taste consistently amazing and that's one of them.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 29, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

They don't call him Jamie Butterer you know

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

oliver? i barely know her! :quagmire:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

woo making more bread(s) and drinking beer

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

i love this video

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

Has anyone checked how the frozen section is now? I want to grab some frozen veggies amongst other things.

My church's frozen section was well stocked yesterday.

I dont want to have to go back to the Co or grocery store for another 2-3 weeks if I can. I checked gmaps and it showed it was pretty dead there (half hour before closing in Saturday). Ran over quick, definitely was empty as I was easily able to park in the second row. Definitely the most consumed item in my house is milk. I got three boxes (cashier said something about a limit, but I didn't remember off the sign in front and nothing was up by the milk itself). Otherwise grabbed more meats, some of the apple protein shakes, pan of lasagna to try, and more cheezits/granola bars on sale.

Saw a lot more shoppers wearing masks and gloves too.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Suddenly, I feel like I should be using a lot more olive oil than I am

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

AF posted:

Suddenly, I feel like I should be using a lot more olive oil than I am

Restaurant cooking does insane things like 1:1 ratio of butter:mashed potatoes, making chicken Marsala or any kind of french sauce = 2 sticks of butter, a lot healthier to replace everything with a few tbsp of olive oil instead of a half a cup of butter. After cooking olive oil actually tastes very buttery to me. It's more noticeable in sauces using a roue where if you replace the butter with olive oil as your sauce base you can easily tell the difference but to me the olive oil is better (and cheaper). It also seems to disperse into the sauce better and not leave you with a layer of fat percolating to the top after serving.

The amount of salt and butter used by professional chefs is just insane for average household cooking. I made lobster thermador aux crevettes with mornay sauce and used the full butter/cheese amounts and no one could eat more than a 1/3 of a cup of the finished product because it was so rich. And a few people only ate half that, it was amazing and one of the best things I've ever made but also crazy.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Also, i've read that there's been possible COVID exposure to CostCo workers but the company is downplaying poo poo. Hope everyone is healthy man.

Yeah, last I heard the corporate offices alone had a dozen confirmed and 1 death. The actual sales side of things is going to be worse with how many random people the workers are exposed to on a daily basis.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, last I heard the corporate offices alone had a dozen confirmed and 1 death. The actual sales side of things is going to be worse with how many random people the workers are exposed to on a daily basis.
Apparently the warehouse workers, not corp. Someone said a store had a positive and shut down for a day to disinfect. Someone else mentioned they found out through a random non-descript flyer in the breakroom.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Few things are more maddening than returning home from Costco, thinking you are done for a while, and then told by a family member we're out of something else. Or will be soon. In a week. Can you go back next weekend for this one single item please?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Few things are more maddening than returning home from Costco, thinking you are done for a while, and then told by a family member we're out of something else. Or will be soon. In a week. Can you go back next weekend for this one single item please?

How about going to get something and buying a bunch of stuff and forgetting the one item you REALLY came for.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Costco does seem to be taking things more seriously than most places. Every other grocery store i go to is pretty much business as normal except for changed hours.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Washout posted:

The amount of salt and butter used by professional chefs is just insane for average household cooking. I made lobster thermador aux crevettes with mornay sauce and used the full butter/cheese amounts and no one could eat more than a 1/3 of a cup of the finished product because it was so rich. And a few people only ate half that, it was amazing and one of the best things I've ever made but also crazy.

If you haven't, read a Paul Prudhomme cookbook. :v:

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Costco does seem to be taking things more seriously than most places. Every other grocery store i go to is pretty much business as normal except for changed hours.

Every morning before my shift I see the entire night crew on lunch, ~40 people crammed shoulder to shoulder around every table in the break room and it's just like lol welp

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bird with big dick posted:

But after you already grabbed the cart and pushed it inside, right? Thats what was happening here 2 weeks ago. I'm like thanks but unless you spray that poo poo all over my hands and face I'm not sure it's gonna help that much.

No they were pre-wiping all of the carts and had a stack of them lined up that they were handing out to people.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Hey Vegas people,

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1244307365450539009

This is the same one I go to and I was there last week.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

keevo posted:

Hey Vegas people,

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1244307365450539009

This is the same one I go to and I was there last week.

probably a good reason to stop going.

Honestly do not get why anyone is still going to grocery stores right now. poo poo's been going on for like a full month at this point. Senior hour at the local co still has a line out through the parking lot lol, place is deserted by the afternoon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My online TP order from costco.com placed a few days back finally shipped. :toot:

The moral: don't be discouraged by a couple of days of "Order Received" purgatory. Miracles do happen.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly do not get why anyone is still going to grocery stores right now.

To get food I'd assume, dummy.

Not everyone can afford to hoard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly do not get why anyone is still going to grocery stores right now.
I need milk.

Like we go through 2 gallons a week because of kids.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Reminds me of this soup “recipe”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeg67jnZozU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SilvergunSuperman posted:

To get food I'd assume, dummy.

Not everyone can afford to hoard.

Do you live in an area where the grocery stores aren't offering pickup or delivery?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

n8r posted:

Do you live in an area where the grocery stores aren't offering pickup or delivery?

Pickup in my area is 2+ weeks out or shut down and same with delivery.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

.Z. posted:

Reminds me of this soup “recipe”:
Hahaha they zoom in on the olive oil just glugging down into the pan. That was an incredible amount, the most I ever use is a full cup in a giant two gallon batch of gumbo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
olive oil I don't understand. Oil is flavorless. I've never been able to taste an oil. So what matters about oil other than its smoke point or w/e?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Pick posted:

olive oil I don't understand. Oil is flavorless. I've never been able to taste an oil. So what matters about oil other than its smoke point or w/e?

It tastes like butter? And evoo has it's own even stronger taste. If it's tasteless then it's probably only 50% or less filtered olive oil.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pick posted:

Oil is flavorless

Never had coconut oil eh?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

if you read the link posted earlier, you will see the author/star of the book/movie saying that kirkland olive oil is one of the best you can get in the us
All of these articles always refer specifically to the organic one, I'm talkin' non-organic. I have no idea if that actually matters at all. I agree that it's probably really good.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pick posted:

lol what, oil is definitely not flavorless

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Heads up I've spent a lot of time reading about, thinking about and consuming olive oil and the best olive oil sold at Church is the SINGLE ORIGIN TUSCAN olive oil. It's first-press, cold-pressed, single-country/single-origin. I don't dare use another olive oil.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KakerMix posted:

Never had coconut oil eh?
Never seen a Pick Troll before?

That's admittedly a great one, though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

FilthyImp posted:

Never seen a Pick Troll before?

That's admittedly a great one, though.

Fwiw, there's legit two angles on this:
Pick could eat a lot of fast food.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Minto Took posted:

If you haven't, read a Paul Prudhomme cookbook. :v:

Made his Cajun meatloaf last night with beef from Costco. If you haven’t tried it, you should. It’s a family favorite for us

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

No they were pre-wiping all of the carts and had a stack of them lined up that they were handing out to people.

Mine wasn't doing that but they may have changed. I drove past yesterday and they had part of the parking lot blocked off and there was a line of people headed in with carts so they're definitely doing something different.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

yeah it'd be like talking about different water having different tastes, idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Washout posted:

Hahaha they zoom in on the olive oil just glugging down into the pan. That was an incredible amount, the most I ever use is a full cup in a giant two gallon batch of gumbo.

the gently caress is wrong with you

anyways, more olive oil chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KTImxLnffY