Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Um, I prefer "old millennial", thank you :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's Gen X and we loving rule. The new Silent Generation. Head down, no huge feelings one way or the other, been through 3 economic crashes (possibly 4 if you're old enough for the dotcom crash), and had to endure the New Coke era.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's Gen X and we loving rule. The new Silent Generation. Head down, no huge feelings one way or the other, been through 3 economic crashes (possibly 4 if you're old enough for the dotcom crash), and had to endure the New Coke era.

I thought Gen X was before me? Born in '83. Old enough to remember the pre-internet times, young enough to be (almost) completely hosed over by housing prices.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

indistinguishable from a boomer brag

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1239229901586169857?s=19

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought Gen X was before me? Born in '83. Old enough to remember the pre-internet times, young enough to be (almost) completely hosed over by housing prices.

yeah, millenials are born in 1981-1996 says Wikipedia

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Generations as a concept are largely pretty stupid.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Generations as a concept are largely pretty stupid.

They also tend to be really white American centric as a concept. It’s still fun to call people boomers though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've also heard it called The Oregon Trail Generation. Also the Pepsi Generation.

Gen X rules. Those big sunglasses with the pointy lenses and bright colors were still cool when we were kids.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Im gonna laugh my rear end off and be really 😊 if it reveals that Saul had a nice loving wife the entire time in BB and he just knew how to keep his poo poo separate. Ends w Gene meeting up w Kim after getting dropped off by the vacuum guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheDon01 posted:

Im gonna laugh my rear end off and be really 😊 if it reveals that Saul had a nice loving wife the entire time in BB and he just knew how to keep his poo poo separate. Ends w Gene meeting up w Kim after getting dropped off by the vacuum guy.

The only way for that to happen would be for Kim to have left him and gone back to Omaha and she happens to see him at some point.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If that was supposed to be "Smoke on the Water" then Saul is the worst guitarist ever.

I'd never touched a guitar and was able to do that riff after seven minutes.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
^ It totally was, and I think besides the gag of him horribly botching one of the easiest riffs in rock history, there's also an ironic meta-text in there with the choice of the song itself, with its lyrics being a story originating in real-life. Deep Purple had a major career opportunity, which was then literally burned to the ground through recklessness, which they salvaged into another opportunity (with some help from their outlaw friends in the Rolling Stones) and then used the story of it all for another song which turned into the biggest hit in their catalogue. Jimmy, by contrast, may have just used his latest turn of Saul's fortune to completely burn down his entire relationship with Kim, and possibly her career as well, with no way to salvage any of it. He wants to be Richie Blackmore but is really the guy with the flare gun.

With the NB revelation in the flashback and that there's no way Jimmy isn't aware of Kim's connection to the state, I now speculate on 2 new possibilities for why Gene could be in Omaha intentionally:

1) Kim having a lovely childhood there means she'll never go back to the state ever again, so he becomes Gene there so that he'll never have to run the risk of bumping into her again and having to deal with whatever his feelings are about her at that point.

2) Kim having family and/or connections there means that after her life in NM hits meltdown mode, she goes back for whatever reason, and he becomes Gene there in order to occasionally keep an eye on her in her new life, OR to secretly help her from a distance if he thinks she needs it, OR to one day work up the confidence to reveal to her in person that being Saul destroyed him too and that he was wrong and she wasn't the only one that he hurt and that he will be atoning for the rest of his days. (This entry is admittedly not very likely.)

Sub Rosa posted:

I really love the hookers confronting Howie scene. It's funny and also a super hosed up thing to do to someone.

I knew a lot of dudes who loved Walter White, while I never liked him or thought he was someone to idealize or root for.

I love Saul Goodman, but drat, while that was funny and clever, it was also just the shittiest thing I remember him ever doing. Like it was the moment that I stopped being able to root for this guy.

I think that was the idea behind what Jimmy-Saul does and the intent for the audience in this episode; the meeting because of the backstab to Kim in addition to the frivolity of his claims, and the brag since we've never really seen him privately boast to himself like that. We didn't really see him stroking his ego at all until last season's finale ("Did you see how well I conned those suckers?!") and it's yet another set of stairs he's descended into Saul's basement.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Agent Escalus posted:

^ It totally was, and I think besides the gag of him horribly botching one of the easiest riffs in rock history, there's also an ironic meta-text in there with the choice of the song itself,

the song came up at the end of season 1/beginning of s2. for example when jimmy turns down davis & main he drives away humming it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Back when Better Call Saul was still being developed, I could have sworn that Vince was quoted as saying that the show would take place before, during, and after Breaking Bad. Does anyone have this quote cited anywhere? Because over the years, trying to bring this up feels weaker and weaker without the ability to link to him ever saying it. Specifically the during part, since we're obviously already privy to the before and after scenes. So any time I try to have certain discussions with friends about this show, I feel like when I try to make that point, it may not be as valid as it used to be.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 29, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There technically has been one or two flash-forward scenes that take place during Breaking Bad.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There technically has been one or two flash-forward scenes that take place during Breaking Bad.

Oh yeah, the "Tell 'em Jimmy sent ya." when he's bugging out of the stripmall. Things like that may be all we're getting, since trying to retcon stuff into BB is begging the internet to go all WELL :actually: on the timeline. Like Saul just being stealth married to Kim all through BB would be kinda funny, but ultimately not too satisfying narratively IMO.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nah, all the black and white scenes at the start of the seasons are post-BB. I don't think watching old tapes of his count either. I'm not really gonna argue one way or the other until I actually get a citation of his quote, though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The scope of BCS seems to have changed drastically since the first season though. Hard to know what Vince was planning vs. what is actually going to happen with the series. I mean like they had it set if they wanted too, Jimmy could have went full Saul Goodman in season 2 with the season 1 cliffhanger of Jimmy asking Mike why they did the right thing and returned the cash.

But I assume the ratings were good enough to keep the show moving along.

I'm sure there will be plenty of BB era Saul in season 6 though at least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The finales of seasons 1 and 3 were filmed before they knew if the show was getting renewed, so they made sure those seasons could have been the last ones and had them end in a way where viewers could easily fill in the blanks.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

DaveKap posted:

Nah, all the black and white scenes at the start of the seasons are post-BB. I don't think watching old tapes of his count either. I'm not really gonna argue one way or the other until I actually get a citation of his quote, though.

Takes No Damage and SweetMercifulCrap! aren't talking about the flash forward Gene scenes. There was at least the one flash forward that was him cleaning out Saul Goodman's office in the strip mall that takes place during Breaking Bad.

https://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/talk/2018/09/how-better-call-saul-recreated-saul-goodmans-office

quote:

On the latest episode of Better Call Saul, the opening scene features a flash-forward to Breaking Bad-era Saul Goodman as the shady lawyer planned his escape from Albuquerque. While his receptionist Francesca shreds incriminating documents, Saul ransacks his office looking for hidden bags of cash to aid in his getaway. But shooting a scene in Saul’s Breaking Bad office was no easy task.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

the song came up at the end of season 1/beginning of s2. for example when jimmy turns down davis & main he drives away humming it.

It was also part of one of his street-scams back in the day - with the fat guy who pretended to be dead and maybe actually died? Can't remember.

It's basically the Slippin' Jimmy soundtrack, him playing it is when you know he's finally gone over the edge.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Didn't he play the song after he hurt his back at the guitar store too

Or was he just strumming when he was laying on the floor when Kim walked in

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember hearing that this show was meant to stand on its own, narrative-wise, and I used to really wonder about how they're going to explain away 5.5 seasons of another show within this one, because obviously we need to know (without having seen BB) why Jimmy is holed away in NB, fearing for his life.

This show is so good, that I don't even care anymore. I still don't know how they'll do it, but I have faith.

Also, I'd unironically love a huuuuuuuge BB/BCS styles montage of crazy Saul related scenes and clips from BB shoved in there somehow.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, this show hasn't *really* been operating that way for quite a while. There are too many narrative choices that wouldn't make sense for people who aren't even aware that this is a Breaking Bad prequel, but we also live in an age where Breaking Bad is pretty easy to access on streaming and where the narrative links can be googled away, so I don't necessarily think they made a bad choice in embracing that.

I mean, a lot of the stuff they set out to do at the start with Better Call Saul ended up panning out differently, like, wasn't there talk of the show being more comedic than Breaking Bad and less serious? That *clearly* isn't how it turned out, eh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, this show hasn't *really* been operating that way for quite a while. There are too many narrative choices that wouldn't make sense for people who aren't even aware that this is a Breaking Bad prequel, but we also live in an age where Breaking Bad is pretty easy to access on streaming and where the narrative links can be googled away, so I don't necessarily think they made a bad choice in embracing that.

I mean, a lot of the stuff they set out to do at the start with Better Call Saul ended up panning out differently, like, wasn't there talk of the show being more comedic than Breaking Bad and less serious? That *clearly* isn't how it turned out, eh.

The original idea was a 30 minute comedy, which I can't even imagine.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I think at one point we all thought it was going to be a Wacky Client of the Week show, which does sound terrible. Then season 1 started and we were all like "WTF is this Golden Globe winning prestige drama poo poo?"

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
There was the scene of Saul packing for the vacuum dropoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJvNAlsgs4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Takes No Damage posted:

I think at one point we all thought it was going to be a Wacky Client of the Week show, which does sound terrible. Then season 1 started and we were all like "WTF is this Golden Globe winning prestige drama poo poo?"

I'm pretty sure it was made clear that it wasn't going to be a sitcom before the first season aired.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Voxx posted:

There was the scene of Saul packing for the vacuum dropoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJvNAlsgs4

I really hope we get some more poo poo hitting the fan desperation Jimmy because the acting is so good in this scene. It feels like it’s been plucked out of Breaking Bad, it’s hard to describe. Like the shaky cam or something moves a little more than it does on BCS maybe?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure it was made clear that it wasn't going to be a sitcom before the first season aired.

No, I think what Takes No Damage means is that, aside from the fact that it's not actually a comedy, that there'd be more clients and smaller cases each week. Like the Kettlemans, except all the time.

I love what we've been given, but man, one wonders what that would've been like. Still an hour long show detailing the descent of Jimmy into Saul, but with goofier and weirder cases to work with.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Action Serious posted:

I really hope we get some more poo poo hitting the fan desperation Jimmy because the acting is so good in this scene. It feels like it’s been plucked out of Breaking Bad, it’s hard to describe. Like the shaky cam or something moves a little more than it does on BCS maybe?

It was recorded on film the same way that Breaking Bad was IIRC. Saul is digital. It was intentional to recreate the 'feel'.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Action Serious posted:

Like the shaky cam or something moves a little more than it does on BCS maybe?

Yep, definitely. In addition to filming on the same/similar stock like the previous poster said, they're clearly borrowing the shaky cam look that Breaking Bad had. Although the shaky cam look was a bit more prominent in the earlier seasons of BB than when that scene w/ Saul and Francesca would have taken place imho

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

No, I think what Takes No Damage means is that, aside from the fact that it's not actually a comedy, that there'd be more clients and smaller cases each week. Like the Kettlemans, except all the time.

I love what we've been given, but man, one wonders what that would've been like. Still an hour long show detailing the descent of Jimmy into Saul, but with goofier and weirder cases to work with.

IIRC there is record of Vince saying the show would be more a bit more lighthearted and more of a comedy than Breaking Bad was, but I don't think they ever suggested that a revolving door of new clients would be a major focus. I could be wrong though. It's easy to imagine how it would have gone though: Jimmy would take on gradually shadier clients and use increasingly dirty methods to get them off the hook, and we'd see how this would affect his relationships.

It does certainly feel like devoting half the airtime to Breaking Bad fanservice was not on the table until after the show didn't become the breakout success they thought it would. Then the show kind of resets itself at the beginning of season 2 which totally threw off everyone's assumption for the Jimmy-Saul arc.

At any rate, BCS proves to me that most TV shows are written "as they go", with maybe an idea of where they want to finish and a rough outline on how to get there, but the quality of BCS in spite of this shows that this is not necessarily a bad thing as long as the writers follow two rules when introducing new elements: 1. Examined what has happened so far and assure it makes sense, 2. Never introduce something without a plan on how to conclude it.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

IIRC there is record of Vince saying the show would be more a bit more lighthearted and more of a comedy than Breaking Bad was, but I don't think they ever suggested that a revolving door of new clients would be a major focus. I could be wrong though. It's easy to imagine how it would have gone though: Jimmy would take on gradually shadier clients and use increasingly dirty methods to get them off the hook, and we'd see how this would affect his relationships.

Vince has states one of the early concepts of the show was a 30 minute comedy where a different stand up comedian would be the client of the week, ala Dr. Katz. That was a very early idea, and was long passed on by the time pre-production got underway.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
When the Better Call Saul pilot was written, the idea of Chuck being an antagonist to Jimmy, or Kim being the most important person in the world to Jimmy, had not yet been formed. A lot of the first two seasons of this show was basically driven by how much Michael McKean and Rhea Seehorn brought to what were just gonna be bit characters.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Paralleling BB, doesn't it make the most sense that the thing that inevitably splits Jimmy/Kim is her finding out about his cartel work, and Jimmy trying to hide it from her? We know that he doesn't stop, he can't do that forever without her knowing, and when she finds out, there's no way that doesn't destroy them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love how sauls cash in the get out scene is the Salamanca style rolls

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought all illicit cash was stored that way? Obviously other than large single payments, which are stored in a briefcase of the exact same volume as the physical bills.

Easily distinguished from legal amounts of cash, which inversely are stored as flat wads for smaller amounts, and burlap sacks with a dollar sign on the side for large amounts.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It is, but in this world it's definitely a Salamanca thing and when saul was paid by Lalo he keeps it in the roll

Also the Don points out how messy that style is when Gus makes the presentation so nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Marko was humming it in the alley before he died, and then Jimmy hums it driving away at the end of the episode.

I also noticed in S2 E2 there's a nice contrast, the ep opens with Chuck playing piano, and then later in the ep Clifford Main is playing acoustic guitar in his office "to blow off steam", he gives Jimmy this little speech about the importance of a mechanism for stress release.