Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I just need to accept that I can’t pull this off on my first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Antivehicular posted:

I don't think there's any reason to assume the attractions are non-diegetic, since it's already been established by the rest of the game that whoever's controlling this has a ton of resources to create elaborate environments, AI, and the dolls, and we've already seen a "mini-game" like this earlier with Gin in the cage. I assume the characters aren't talking about the contents of the attractions because "these assholes are making us play dumb arcade games with their dolls" is not really the most pressing issue at play.

I believe you're right on the part about them being diegetic. I think I was attempting to question their existence from more of a meta-textual (is that the right word?) perspective, both in terms of the actual video game and the game the characters are playing. Usually in these types of narrative based games, things aren't placed by accident, so the question then becomes "what is the purpose of these attractions in the game?" Indeed, we can ask the same question of the puzzle rooms from the previous level.

Are they included as entertainment for whoever is watching and a way for the characters to compete against each other, or do they go beyond that? Perhaps they serve as an actual test of skill in addition to competition. Is there a reason beyond conflict to have the attractions need two people? I guess my thoughts aren't really developed on this.

Also, it's really cool that you are posting screenshots of the attractions, HydroSphere. I'm guessing it's a bit of extra work to go through them and get the interesting parts. Thank you.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Goon Boots posted:

I believe you're right on the part about them being diegetic. I think I was attempting to question their existence from more of a meta-textual (is that the right word?) perspective, both in terms of the actual video game and the game the characters are playing. Usually in these types of narrative based games, things aren't placed by accident, so the question then becomes "what is the purpose of these attractions in the game?" Indeed, we can ask the same question of the puzzle rooms from the previous level.

Are they included as entertainment for whoever is watching and a way for the characters to compete against each other, or do they go beyond that? Perhaps they serve as an actual test of skill in addition to competition. Is there a reason beyond conflict to have the attractions need two people? I guess my thoughts aren't really developed on this.

Also, it's really cool that you are posting screenshots of the attractions, HydroSphere. I'm guessing it's a bit of extra work to go through them and get the interesting parts. Thank you.

Games like this would help foster alliances and divisions between the players. Consider the russian roulette game from the first part - how it helped the four involved bond but also scared some of the others who could only hear the gunfire. Not to mention it lets the organisers hide in stuff like whatever has happened with Reko.

Since unlike games like Mafia or scenarios like Danganronpa the players here aren't trying to nail specific people, it behooves them to compete with each other not just for trust but also for just being liked enough to protect.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Music stops.

“C'mon, sit down. I'll get some coffee.”

“No... I'm fine...”

“Right then...”

“..........”

“...”

“Kinda awkward, huh...”

(Keiji... He doesn't want me knowing his personal info...)

“ ...Trust, huh... “

“What do you have to do to earn it, eh...?”

“It's about the way you've acted... right?”

“Ahh, so I see... No wonder you're trusted, Sara.”

“If they're always clouded in smoke... You can't get a grasp on a person's humanity.”

“Could you be mad at me, Sara...?”

“Don't mess up that cute face.”

“ I... want to trust you, Keiji... I don't want to distrust anyone... Because... we're allies.

“Allies...”

“But, Keiji... You never show what you're really thinking... “

“Please, tell me...”

“...Hoo boy.”

“Hurts to see you make that face, Sara...”

“Sara... Do you remember our talk in the Blue Room on the first floor?”

“What are you referring to...?”

“...”

“The person I shot... was a criminal... “

“And died.”

“...!”

“...?! You were acquainted with them...?!”

“Not even permitted... to be judged by the law...”

Music stops.

“Keiji...?”

“...Gh... gh... Guh...!!”

“Well... so that's the kind of guy I am...”

“..........”

“Sara, your friendly policeman...”

“Can't even trust himself. Not ever... since that day.”

“...Keiji...”

“...Sure ran my mouth there.”

(He left... Well... I guess that's it for discussions...)

“What is it, Gin?”

“Big sis Nao was at the Prize Exchange, meow.”

“She seemed... really pale, meow. I'm worried, woof.

“Got it. I'll go take a look.”

“Thanks, meow!”

“Nao... What's the matter? You've gone white.”

“I... I... bought it...”

“B-Bought what?”

“A... victim... video...”

“Huh...?!”

“I thought it could be a clue to escape... But... I'm too scared... to watch...”

Please! Would you watch it with me?!”

“B... But...”

“Oh, and... If you could stroke my back and cheer me on like “you can do it!”...!”

(Can I shut my eyes on such a thing...?)

“...Understood. I'll close my eyes, hold your hand, and furiously stroke your back...!”

Thank you so much...!! Um... and please don't forget the “you can do it!”chanting either!”

(Nao... She's saying that seriously.)

“Apparently you can view it in the Monitor Room... Let's go, Sara...!”

Nao inserted the victim video into the machine in front of her.

“Ooooogh...”

“...I'll hit play.”

“Please... hold my hand!!”

I selected the center monitor and hit the play button.

I hear a woman's voice... I said I would close my eyes... but sure enough, I'm too curious... I opened my eyes.

The woman is wearing a suit... no, a uniform.

(Is that... a police uniform?)

“I... only did my duties...!!”

(Is she talking to someone?)

(Huh...?)

“There's no point in doing any of this...!!”

(W... Wait a second... This man in the front...)

“Please!! Press the switch!!”

“That's... enough...”

“I can't watch... any more...”

But, what disturbed me even more... was the man in front of the camera.

“Nao... About that man...”

“M-Man...? ...Oogh... urk...”

“That man we saw from behind... Don't you think he looked like someone?”

“S-Sorry... I didn't pay that much attention...”

“I just felt so bad for the woman... I didn't notice...”

“No... that's understandable.”

(And I couldn't ask her to watch it again...)

(But... I'm sure of it. He looked like Keiji...! What's the meaning of this?!)

“...Sorry, Sara.”

“Sara... You're so strong...”

“Strong...?”

Being told that made me realize. How much I'd gotten accustomed to this cruelty. Even such a horrifying fate befalling someone I didn't know wouldn't faze me.

(My senses... are getting numb...)

“Hahaha... I guess I've... really lost it, haven't I...?”

“Sara...”

“...Right...”

In Nao's chest, I regained a little composure.

(It didn't seem like they had no connection. And also... that man...was Keiji.)

(There's too much to think about... My head isn't working. I should get some sleep. I need rest...)

(Need to keep at it...)

Music stops.

“...Did you not state you wanted to eat stir-fry?”

“I said fried RICE!!”

“...Sniffle... Isn't fried rice too heavy for breakfast...?”

“And bitter melon stir-fry is light?!”

Talk to Safalin.

(She stated it loud and clear...)

Talk to Alice.

“No one wants to taste such bitterness early in the morning... No one!!”

“But... many people drink coffee in the morning...”

“Hnghh...!!”

“Um... Please stop fighting.”

“Urgh... Sara Chidouin...!”

“You've caught me at an unsightly time... Well? Will you eat this?”

“No...”

“Hey, wait...!! Crying Doll Tia Safalin!!”

“Do your best.”

“C-Calm down, Sara Chidouin. You have a different look about you from yesterday.”

“Huh?”

(What an annoying trade...)

Music stops.

I decided to indulge Alice for a little bit.

(He was probably just knocking it without trying...)

“So... how has your relationship with Reko been since then...?”

“Hmph... Nothing for you to worry about. The status quo is maintained!”

“But observing her in these past days... While at first I thought she had changed...

“You said that Reko was once in the same band as you, Alice.”

“Hm...? Right...”

“So the reason you disbanded... surely...”

Yes... It was due to the crime I committed... Look at this.”

Alice produced a folded piece of paper from within his clothes.

“A magazine article...?”

“And the reason is clearly written, as well. It says...”

“I had thought Reko was a superhuman with a will of steel. I finally realized... she was just human too. I've never... regretted something more...”

“...”

“This article was my warning.”

“I deeply wounded Reko's heart.”

“...”

“But, this article...”

“...I have no more use for it. Throw it away for me.”

“Huh...?”

“Please.”

Music stops.

(His “warning”...)

(Okay... Time to continue with attractions.)

Talk to Kanna / Sou.

“What do you want, Miss Sara...?”

“Nothing...”

“..........”

(Kanna... Even after we repaired our relationship... This is what happened...)

Talk to Alice / Keiji.

“...It was no use.”

“Tch...! In that case, the monitor was destroyed by...!”

“...Pretty sure of it. Which is why I complied with the trade.”

(These two are holding a shady tactics meeting...)

Talk to Gin.

“Even big sis Nao's not feeling good, meow...”

Talk to Nao.

“Today is the last day. In the end, I couldn't get a clue for escape... or even Clear Chips...”

“I have tranquillizer if you wish...”

“...T-That's fine.”

Talk to Q-taro.

“..........”

Q-taro is walking around unsteadily.

“I'm pretty proud of my arm strength.”

• The gauge needs to be in the red area for Sara / the partner to push the opponent back.

• The speed of the gauge increases with each opponent, while the red area decreases.

• This is a nice attention to detail; Keiji is left handed and the sprites update to reflect that.

Music stops.

“Managed to do it... I'm exhausted.”

“Here's the Clear Chips. We'll take one each.”

Talk to Q-taro.

“How many... you want?”

“I'll... I'll give ya 40. Just give me 20.”

“...Not a bad deal for ya, I'm sure.”

(Huh...? Q-taro's acting strange...)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have a lot of doubts about that video. For all Keiji's been shady, every time he's talked about himself, it felt genuine, especially now. And it would not be the first time wrong information appears in the game and causes mistrust. It's either completely fake or willingly cutting important information, but right now, I'm more willing to trust Keiji than it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Haha, no way burger man. We see you walking around in front of the 200 token machine and now you want tokens?

Whatever's in that thing can't be good since it requires you to get people to give you 100 additional tokens on top of the ones you have to trade. It's singling out the most trusted person.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have a lot of doubts about that video. For all Keiji's been shady, every time he's talked about himself, it felt genuine, especially now. And it would not be the first time wrong information appears in the game and causes mistrust. It's either completely fake or willingly cutting important information, but right now, I'm more willing to trust Keiji than it.

Yeah this is exactly the sort of stuff that's cut to make someone look untrustworthy before you reveal the real context. Like Kai's emails before.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I don't remember if Sara gave 30 to Keiji, but if she did this is definitely a ploy to get Sara's info and there's no telling if that's going to really be good for her or not with the shady act here. The sole reason I can think of to go through with the trade is to show Sara will trust that Keiji and Q-taro are acting weird about this for a good reason... which is really shaky and would just as likely be seen as just plain being gullible. If there was a way to talk this out instead of just trade/decline, then all three people could get the info at once rather than the misunderstandings we've already had issues with which might be guaranteed. Worst case of them getting it could be Sou stealing the information and misrepresenting everything to turn everyone against Sara. But again, this will implicitly show Sara doesn't trust at least Q-taro, so we might be stuck choosing the lesser of two evils here. No idea what the right answer here is!

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
It's the last day and we don't have enough tokens to buy anyone's info. For shame.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

wologar posted:

It's the last day and we don't have enough tokens to buy anyone's info. For shame.

It's totally possible to do the right combinations of trades to get a few different folks' personal info. Gin, Nao, Reko (which we totally could have done this run if we hadn't been pursuing Ultimate Bongoquest), maybe Kanna... Theoretically, if we did one of the attractions where Q-Taro offered to give us 10 tokens, and we took this 40 token trade here, we could buy his info too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah this is exactly the sort of stuff that's cut to make someone look untrustworthy before you reveal the real context. Like Kai's emails before.
I think Coolsville sucks!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Whatever's in that thing can't be good since it requires you to get people to give you 100 additional tokens on top of the ones you have to trade. It's singling out the most trusted person.
Maybe it's another cigar?

Ah, it's been a while since I've been further along in a game than the LP and could just shitpost relentlessly instead of speculating. :allears:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, the 200 coin machine would be setup so that whatever it dispensed fell in just the right way that it would get jammed at the bottomxand you would have to buy a second item to dislodge it.

I mean, that seems to be how most drink machines are in real life, so...

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Randalor posted:

Nah, the 200 coin machine would be setup so that whatever it dispensed fell in just the right way that it would get jammed at the bottomxand you would have to buy a second item to dislodge it.

I mean, that seems to be how most drink machines are in real life, so...

Not so much in Japan. Japan is a high uncertainty avoidance society, tolerance for that kind of design flaw is low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_avoidance

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

El Generico posted:

Not so much in Japan. Japan is a high uncertainty avoidance society, tolerance for that kind of design flaw is low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_avoidance

How do gachas fit into this?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wologar posted:

Enjoy your Common-tier item! :yayclod:

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

wologar posted:

Japan is why most Gacha style games have to legally divulge your odds of giving any given item during any given event. They're not necessarily opposed to randomness, just uncertainty. If you have a thing that can only be rolled 1% of the time by god it needs to actually be able to be rolled 1% of the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't think there's any reason to doubt it as being a real video. But then again, they could always be using Dolls. Dolls very much complicate the story for figuring out "So did that... happen?" We could easily be seeing Keiji's first trial. Which, from context, was him having the choice to either save another police officer, or to let them die. Rather than the trial Sara got, which was clearly a trial with a logic component, that seemed to be more Saw in its design. "Here's this lady you know and clearly have a connection with. You can hit this button and save her life, or let her get killed."

Since we just got Keiji to confirm that he killed a criminal, and it was someone close to him. The woman could have been responsible for putting him in that situation. Giving him the order to fire, or something. It makes sense that Keiji would let someone die if they'd caused essentially his trauma. Though given he's still suffering hallucinations, it clearly hasn't helped him one iota.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Or the person the chained woman is speaking to and is speaking to her might not be Keiji. There was no line about recognizing his voice, right? So maybe he just had to watch as someone did that (and then probably shot and killed that person).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tylana posted:

Or the person the chained woman is speaking to and is speaking to her might not be Keiji. There was no line about recognizing his voice, right? So maybe he just had to watch as someone did that (and then probably shot and killed that person).

Also an option. Depends on if he just recently shot the criminal. Or if it was an incident in his past. Something we likely wont know because it'd be his personal data. And he's extremely defensive of it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What if we just ask him really, really nicely?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

...this game isn't about majority votes at all! It's about plurality votes! I demand we drag Mishima's body back out here and get a recount!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Why give 40 in exchange for 20. Is he after Sara tokens for a different bargain behind the scenes? 40 is quite a lot and its clear he's after the 200 token price.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

• I'll do an additional post at the end of 2-1 showing what happens if Sara had traded with Q-taro.

Music stops.

(This time... I think I won't.)

“What do you want?!”

“Ooh, scary. C'mon, I'm just asking how you feel!”

“Alright, no delinquents on my watch! Time for a parent-teacher conference!”

(A... parent-teacher conference?)

Talk to Ranger.

“You collecting those tokens, ya bastard?”

“Tokens...”

“Yeah...”

“How wonderful, Miss Sara! You're a fine girl for doing as the teacher says!”

“Are we done?”

“So stubborn! Your heart getting worn down?”

Well, anyhow. By the way, you peeped any of the personal info you can get at the Prize Exchange?”

(Artificial intelligences... There's still so much we don't know about that.)

Ranger, could you tell me more about the AIs?

“You've got a bad attitude! Ask cutely and I'll think about it!”

“Don't be stupid... Shouldn't a Floor Master offer explanations?”

“Seems you don't like me, do ya?”

Music stops.

“Well, whatever. I'll tell you!”

“The AIs are basically super-detailed reproductions based on y'all, the participants.”

“In fact, they're AIs with hearts, possessing superb emotional capabilities!”

“Their personalities and memories, too, are all based on info gotten from observing all y'all for ages!”

“Observing us for ages?!”

“Truth is, it was planned to steadily update 'em with your memories during the Death Game too... “

“Why, you...!!”

But y'know... Constructing the personality for the AIs is a lot harder than that.”

(Every 3 years...? Then just how long have we been...?!)

“...!!”

“Anyway, guess that's about that.”

Do your best not to die, Sara Chidouin!”

“Though if you do die, I'll be taking those clothes off your hands... Got me?”

(He's a real piece of work...)

Talk to Reko.

“Can't find Kanna or Sou anywhere... Wonder if they're resting in their room...”

Talk to Gin / Keiji.

“...Will you really help me collect stars, meow?”

“Yep. A good policeman's gotta be kind to kids.”

“If you're gonna treat me like a kid, I'll pass, woof!”

Talk to Alice / Nao.

“Um... I'm short on Clear Chips... So I was wondering if I could trade you for some...

“Huh, you're still collecting them...? But... springing that on me all of a sudden...”

“I don't want to trouble Sara or Reko...”

“A-All right... I'll think of something.”

“...No, it's no good! I can't do this...!!”

(He's muttering things to himself...)

• This attraction is unique; the Easy Ticket that can be bought for ten tokens from the Prize Exchange stacks with a partner ability for all other attractions (for example, in Spirit Shutter, the ticket stacks with Nao's ability of increased energy gain; you can either take Nao to further increase that energy gain or take Keiji or Reko and benefit from their ability in addition to Nao's ability.) In the case of this attraction though, the Easy Ticket replaces Sou's ability, so you're better off taking Nao into this attraction if you have the ticket.

“...I'll do my best.”

• This first enemy takes two hits. There's an option to turn on automated clicking for mini-games for those players not using a mouse – while this is usually helpful, it can actually be a hindrance in this game, as the auto-click will kick in as soon as you move the the mouse cursor over a weapon.

• The second enemy takes two hits and reduces the amount of time you have to pick the correct weapon.

• The third and last enemy takes three hits and further reduces the time you have to pick the correct weapon. The time taken before the correct weapon is shown can also be increased – it can be easy to click on the weapon too early if you're using Sou.

Music stops.

“And there's the Clear Chips. Let's be friendly and share them.”

(With that, this attraction is done.)

Music stops.

Talk to Kai.

Talk to Joe.

Talk to Mishima.

• None of them actually have anything to say, and we have no means of cutting, stabbing or burning right now, so may as well just walk away.

“Ah...! Big sis Sara! You're up, woof?”

“You were having a nightmare, meow. You okay, woof...?”

“...Ugh...”

At some point, I'd fallen asleep at a table in the lobby.

“I-I'll bring water, meow! You should drink it, woof!”

“...”

“Again... that moment again...!! Spare me already...! At least in my dreams... Please... save Joe...!!”

“Aaaah... ahhh...”

“Ahahahaha... hahaha...”

“Sara's...”

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 4, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...is this a "Fission Mailed" situation?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You know, I think taking Safalin up on her offer might be a good idea right before that last hallucination happened. Or whenever we can reverse time back to so Sara avoids snapping.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

On my run, I actually thought it wasn't possible to get a game over from it, and it was a secret test of whether or not you could weather through the pain without chickening out long enough for Sara to start mourning properly. At some point, I must have entirely missed one way to get Hallucination up, because I didn't even realize I was wrong until I was reading about the choices I didn't make.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Oh man. That is intense as hell

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Kind of wish we had a screenshot of what trying to attack the hallucinations did.

But thanks for showing this off, explains some of the earlier choices. :D

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well then! I knew this was coming but I wondered if the LP would avoid it. I guess not!

RIP whatever remained of Sara's mental health.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.

Tylana posted:

Kind of wish we had a screenshot of what trying to attack the hallucinations did.
This is not the only potential Game Over in this choice block.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
This is a drat good game and I'm glad you're showing it off.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
The SWERVE of the hallucinations showing up for negotiations is so great. What a good game.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I'm assuming Q-Taro was going to pour Sara's me-tokens directly into Sou's gaping mouth or something, which is understandable since Keiji callously cut him from the squad.

In a naming coincidence it reminds me of the opening chapters of Kaiji, where Kaiji forgives a similar betrayal, reasoning "this is a life-or-death game and we're in it for the long haul, i need allies who trust me and they won't do that if i turn my back on people the moment they become a hindrance". We'll see how Keiji's gamesmanship shakes out :munch:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

tomanton posted:

I'm assuming Q-Taro was going to pour Sara's me-tokens directly into Sou's gaping mouth or something, which is understandable since Keiji callously cut him from the squad.

In a naming coincidence it reminds me of the opening chapters of Kaiji, where Kaiji forgives a similar betrayal, reasoning "this is a life-or-death game and we're in it for the long haul, i need allies who trust me and they won't do that if i turn my back on people the moment they become a hindrance". We'll see how Keiji's gamesmanship shakes out :munch:

And to be fair that line of thought didn't work out all that well, if you recall how it worked out.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It just turns out Sara's last stored personality was her goth phase, and when confronted with it as an AI she dies of embarrassment.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

• There are five scenes (not counting Sara's nightmare at the start of 2-1) that can raise Sara's hallucination level; sympathising with Nao when she's talking to the Mishima AI, getting Gin to show Sara the dog keychain, finding the doll of Joe in the Medical Office, picking the “after all my crying over Joe” option after Keiji refuses to give Sara the 50 tokens, and the negotiation with the hallucinations. Four of these hallucination increases are optional, one (finding Joe's doll) is a mandatory hallucination level increase. You have to increase the level all four times to get the bad ending.

Talk to Safalin.

“...I see.”

“Please trust me to care for your minds and bodies.”

“Forget...?”

“Yes, it would be bad for them to harm your mind... Please consider it while you can still recover.”

“I will ask you again.”

“Miss Sara, will you use this device to forget your hallucinations?”

Music stops.

“...All right. Do it.”

“Yes! Don't worry... It's a very comforting device...”

“H-Hey... is this really okay? You're attaching all this stuff to my body...”

“My shoulders... aren't stiff, though...”

“Well then, here we gooo!”

“How was it? Doesn't your mind feel refreshed?”

“Pant... pant... Huh...?”

“You're right...!”

“It's dangerous to use twice, so... You shouldn't use it anymore.”

• Using the machine more than twice leads to another bad ending, I'll show that off after 2-1.

“Right, got it! Thank you Safalin!”

“...It's not as if you're fully cured. Please be wary of any future hallucinations.”

• Go through the attraction and negotiation again and...

“Ah...! Big sis Sara! You're up, woof?”

“You were having a nightmare, meow. You okay, woof...?”

“...Ugh...”

At some point, I'd fallen asleep at a table in the lobby.

“I-I'll bring water, meow! You should drink it, woof!”

“...”

“...T-Thank you, Gin...”

Drinking the water calmed me down a little.

“...Thanks. I guess I was having a scary dream...”

“Y-Yeah...”

(Gin seeing me like this is making him uneasy... I need to put on a smile...)

“...You don't have to force it, meow.”

“Gin...”

“You won't have scary dreams if we're together, woof. Don't worry and relax, meow.”

“But Gin, what about the attractions...?”

“It's all that worrying about other people that's got you so tired, meow!”

(Believe...)

“You're exactly right, Gin...”

• Even if you do increase the hallucination level at every opportunity prior to the hallucination negotiation and don't use Safalin's machine, you can still avoid the bad end by selecting the “Don't discuss” option.

This does skip the scene with Gin though; Sara just wakes up alone.

Music stops.

...Ten. I count them over and over, and there's no mistake. I collected enough Clear Chips. I'm safe now.

It's over... Over...? No, it's about to begin again. The Main Game.

(No...)

(No... no... no...!!)

(...No...)

I'd fallen asleep without realizing it. Deeply. Like the dead.

I can't get up. As if gravity is crushing me, I can't move.

(Has all my exhaustion... caught up to me? Was everyone else... able to collect enough Clear Chips?)

My eyes quickly glanced around the room.

(Wh...?!)

I can't move my body.

(H... Help...!)

There was a rustling on top of the chair... And before I knew it, they were gone.

(W... Who...)

Sitting up hastily, my body felt very light.

(I slept like I was dead...)

Investigate the chair.

Something's been placed on the chair.

(What is this...?)

Music stops.

(These look familiar...!)

Names, occupations, and mysterious numbers. I remember this.

“Take a look at this. It's a piece of paper I picked up.”

“My-my-myow?! This looks...!!”

“This is Gin's.”

“Similar, woof! Totally the same, woof!”

“And connect it to the piece I have...!”

“M-Meow...?! They connected, woof!!”

“These are the same as the sheet Gin showed us in the Main Game...!!”

(And they're not torn up! And it's 4 sheets...! Sixteen people's names...)

Music stops.

(...Sixteen? Four names per page...)

(Hm? And what's this...)

(Ex... detective...? Has Keiji... left the force?)

(What are these rosters...? Who wrote them? What are they trying to say?)

I can't be taken in by this. It might be a trap.

(Settle down...)

I took a deep breath. Once calm, I realized the situation I was in.

(It's not the time to be looking at these! Where is everyone...?!)

“No way… Guys...! Where are you?!”

Looking to the windows, the morning sun shone radiantly into my eyes.

(Today is the fourth day...! The time limit's up!)

“Alice...!”

“What is it, Sara Chidouin? You seem surprised...”

(Not a single one of us is missing! This isn't a dream...! This won't go how the kidnappers expect!!)

Music stops.

“Y'all bastards are cockroach-level stubborn!”

“Don't make light of us!! We're MORE stubborn than roaches!!”

“Yeah, yeah. Guess I underestimated that. Honestly, figured at least one of y'all'd die.”

“Well, whatever. There's a place I wantcha all to come to.”

“What?! Don't tell me... The Main Game already?!”

”Not just yet... Gotta save the most fun for last...”

“Grr! rear end in a top hat...!”

“Eh...?”

“A door...!!”

“Great design, right? I want you to go through there.”

“W-What should we do...?”

“...Don't worry. We won all within the rules. Shouldn't be anything too absurd...”

“Guess we gotta, meow. Let's go, woof...”

Investigate door.

The room is dark; I can hardly see anything.

(Ranger is probably planning something.)

Music stops.

(Let's go...!)

“What do you want from us now, meow?!”

“We all collected our Clear Chips!! Shouldn't be any problem!!”

“This stupid game's over, you drat doll!”

“Nah, sorry to say, but the Sub-Game's not over yet.”

“Ehh...?!”

“Let's announce the results! Y'all haven't forgotten this was a game of buying and selling tokens, right?”

“...I get it.”

“The number of tokens we've gotten by trading...?”

“...So we don't have to have them currently?”

“That's right! I told you this game switched out “trust” for “tokens”, yeah?”

“The amount you were handed... That's what matters.”

“So naturally, however many of your own tokens you got, they wooon't be counted!”

“Now to announce the standings! Line up!”

“Privilege...?”

Music stops.

“Let's get to it! The glorious title of first place goes to...!”

“Y... Yeah!”

“Okay, stand right here!”

“Why you...! Don't mess around! What's this privilege I got?!”

“What a spoilsport! I'll explain that later.”

“Everybody but first doesn't get a prize, so I'll just announce them in order!”

“What's this annoying “badah-badah” thing? Don't interrupt me, Safalin!”

“Waaah!! You told me to do it just like in the rehearsal, didn't you...?!”

“Kanna Kizuchi!”

“...Me...?”

“Alice Yabusame!”

“...Hoh...”

“Hmm....”

“Haha... Not a bad placing...”

“Sounds like the reaction of a guy who's never gotten first in his life...”

“Keiji Shinogiii!”

“Ahh, just barely held on there!”

“Huh... Surprised I'm that trusted.”

“Who're you calling idiots?! This ain't a game!!”

“Now to announce the bottom of the barrel!”

“In very last place issssss...!”

“Came in at dead last! Just the worst!”

“Don't call me dead last, woof! You're making me mad, meow!”

“C'mon, you got 0 tokens! Seems you didn't accept 'em from anybody!”

“Stubborn to the end! Don't kids these days feel any regret losing?”

Music stops.

(I'm getting... a bad feeling...)

“In place? Good! Now smile wide...”

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

tomanton posted:

This is a bit metagamey but the right answer is probably way more nuanced than the binary we're given. Maybe he was a cop before but not anymore? So technically lying
My satisfaction at this development was extremely short-lived :ohdear:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So the cards there are missing Joe, Nao, Sou, Kai, and Kanna's sister (do we know her name? At least no one has the same surname as Kanna).

And the name "Shin" didn't appear in the bar in the first chapter.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Sou is missing from the cards we got. Might not mean anything, or the missing card might have the four actual top survivors with Sou among them. Assuming these stats are about who survives the whole game on average, anyway.

Also, Gin's 1.3% chance. :smith: Probably gonna be Sou turning around that collar thing and Gin refusing to take off his suit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It already adds up to 100% with only these 16 names. Does that mean the missing four names are all at 0% too?

This is the list of twenty we got from the bar:

Can drink:
Alice, Kai, Kazumi, Keiji, Shunsuke, Sou, Naomichi, Mai, Megumi, Reko, Q-Taro

Can't drink:
Anzu, Kanna, Gin, Kugie, Sara, Joe, Nao, Hinako, Ranmaru

The names here that aren't present on the cards are:

Kai
Sou
Kugie
Joe
Nao

That's five, not four. Sou of course, is probably not using his real name so that checks out. He's probably the "self-employed" Shin, at 0%. I wouldn't have expected him to actually be at full 0% but it's not out of the question.

Kugie's a total unknown, but Kai and Joe and Nao would make sense at zero too. :smith: