Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BONERLORD IS IN EARLY ACCESS SCRUBS

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Store
Bannerlord is releasing a DAY EARLY (March 30th, 2020), 10% off for everyone living in this cursed pandemic hellworld till April 13th (by which time we should all be dead), and an additional 10% off for anyone with a CD Key for M&B:Warband (unknown if it works for other TaleWorlds M&B products). Buy it at Taleworlds.Com to give Taleworlds a greater cut, and also, because Steam is currently making GBS threads it's self over this anatolian indie release.

WHAT IS TALEWORLDS

TaleWorlds Entertainment is a game development studio in Ankara, Turkey, with over 100 employees. It started as a husband and wife venture to make a fantastically ambitious, open ended role playing unit commander third person realistic medieval combat simulator. Development started in 2004 as a hobby, but e-sales of an UNFINISHED GAME propelled development on, making it the progenitor for the Early Access model. Mount&Blade was completed September 2008. A followup, improved version of the original game, Mount&Blade: Warband, was released on March 29th, 2010.

WHAT IS BANNERLORD

Come on down y'all we got
Horsemanfights
Walkmansfights
Smithing and Weapon Customization
SIEGES
Multiplayer
Improved Controller Support
Families!

We don't have
Marnid
Borcha
Horse Names
Like a quarter of the game yet lol

FAQ:

Macintosh HD posted:

How does this compare to a game like Chivalry or Mordhau?

If you played those games and was like, "I also want to have an army of AI dudes at my beck and call for cavalry charges, and a deep single player experience exploring a huge world, trading, winning tournaments, toppling kingdoms, and chasing cattle", and were also like "I'm not very fond of all these white nationalists yelling the N word", this is the game for you!

MODS?!

Are forthcoming! A big part of the old game was the active modding community. TaleWorlds actively encourages and supports it's modding community, even to the extent where popular mods were developed into full fledged releases!

I WANNA PLAY WITH GOONS
Discord: https://discord.gg/2RC8UmG
Someone will probably reform the SA Dragoons at some point that info will go here.

Old Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3232100

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, still has the classic extraneous controller vibration from Warband

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I love M&B to bits with all its jank, it's going to be impossible to resist instantly buying this despite Early Access.

Has it really been 15 loving years since the original? So many years of chasing bandits across the map.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Chivalry is a first person brawler iirc and Mordhau is the same thing except racist from what I've heard. Mount & Blade, by contrast, is mainly played from 3rd person and has a wide-ranging single player campaign that involves trade, conquest, and commanding and fighting in massive battles. It also has multiplayer that kicks rear end by all accounts.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Macintosh HD posted:

Gonna preface this by saying I've not played a super huge amount of Chivalry or Mordhau, but I'd say it's similar multiplayer-wise and somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the combat from the previous M&B games were what set the stage for games like Chivalry and Mordhau so this one shouldn't be too different moment-to-moment combat-wise. The sandboxy simulation single-player stuff is where games like Mount & Blade set themselves apart tho. Imagine you got 100 troops and you're commanding them to fight 100 other troops but YOU also are a troop. Also there's an overland map and there's sieges and trade and food and tons of weapons and you can raze villages and stuff.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Agreeing with the above; the experience of developing your character and your warband as you go around, making a name for yourself and getting involved in seizing land and titles is really fantastic. Getting to play out the skirmishes and sieges both as the general, but also getting into the thick of the fighting is just fantastic. I've never found another game to scratch this itch as well as M&B.

I trust that modding will be a lively part of the experience, again. Getting to be a barbarian zooming naked across the field with a two-hander is a great experience. Just a shame all of these mods kept shoving in crazy overpowered end armies roaming the land.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
hell yeah, I never played the first one but I'm in and just starting to mess around. I normally don't put too much thought into the character creator but I spent at least 45 minutes going back and forth on the starting factions. I can see a lot of potential for drastically different builds, but I'm going with a Jon Snow-esque type for now.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

If you're on NA trying to get in multiplayer siege, EU matchmaking is actually getting games going. Ping will probably suck for NA players but better than sitting in queue for an hour.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Scott Forstall posted:

hell yeah, I never played the first one but I'm in and just starting to mess around. I normally don't put too much thought into the character creator but I spent at least 45 minutes going back and forth on the starting factions. I can see a lot of potential for drastically different builds, but I'm going with a Jon Snow-esque type for now.

You want Southern Empire then, since it has a ruling Empress. That way you can just endlessly repeat "Ah dun wannit" and "she'z mah queen" when asked if you want power.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Well all of that sounds awesome.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Now the wait for proper release/modding tools begins.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

How feature-complete does the single player seem to be compared to Mount and Blade?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like weapon crafting might have actually made the cut after all, watching the streamer Cringer as my game downloads (watching on mobile so it doesn't slow the game down). Which is a surprise, but a nice one, since it was one of the features they'd said would not be making the cut of initial early access.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Have they said why it took so drat long to get here yet? would be interesting to find out why the delay.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Have they said why it took so drat long to get here yet? would be interesting to find out why the delay.

I'm thinking something along the lines of several massive engine changes/art direction changes/entire team quit at some point/hard drives fried with no backups/perfectionist attitude/etc etc

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

SeanBeansShako posted:

Armagan or whatever the owner / game director is a known perfectionist is probably the best answer.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Is this better with a controller?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Macintosh HD posted:

Is this better with a controller?

I think they said controller support was coming later in the early access notes. The controller layout for warband on console was good but I don't know about better worse, I just prefer a controller whenever I can choose one.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
What Difficulty is everyone starting on? I would like to think I am a seasoned vet and can start on realistic, but that's also the most difficult option...I don't want to struggle. Screw it, I might just go realistic on all, check Enable Death and Auto allocate. What can go wrong?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Note that they removed auto block direction so if you are used to using that every difficulty is going to be significantly more difficult.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Logic posted:

What Difficulty is everyone starting on? I would like to think I am a seasoned vet and can start on realistic, but that's also the most difficult option...I don't want to struggle. Screw it, I might just go realistic on all, check Enable Death and Auto allocate. What can go wrong?

nothing whatsoever, welcome to the actual game. although auto allocate sounds like a flaming bowl of sh*t.. what good is an RPG if you can't even allocate the points

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've been watching a couple of streams and it looks like you can go into a town and do everything through menus instead of actually having to walk around the town to find a trader or whatever. If this is the case, I might actually get this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm watching Sips play this on Twitch and he loving hates it because it's too hard lol. It does look remarkably similar to the original though so I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lemon posted:

I've been watching a couple of streams and it looks like you can go into a town and do everything through menus instead of actually having to walk around the town to find a trader or whatever. If this is the case, I might actually get this.

iirc you could do this in warband too, just gotta press tab or something like that

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm thinking something along the lines of several massive engine changes/art direction changes/entire team quit at some point/hard drives fried with no backups/perfectionist attitude/etc etc

Turkey also had a bit of a civil unrest issue during development, that always slows stuff down.

Lower taxes and station more troops, that always helps, right?

Also, I uninstalled Bannerlord. Because I put it on my secondary drive, this bad boy needs to go on my primary SSD.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Artelier posted:

iirc you could do this in warband too, just gotta press tab or something like that

what

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
There's just enough loading times popping up that I've decide to reinstall this on my SSD. Goodby Doom Eternal. I'm also eager for when people figure out which graphics options are performance hogs and which aren't because Bannerlord is making my system show its age.

Other than that technical stuff holy fuckin poo poo I'm playing Bannerlord. I've only just played through the tutorial but some of the really cool stuff that jumps out at me is that horseriding looks and feels so much better and holy moly cavalry actually charges through infantry instead of coming to a stop so some peasant can cave their head in. And battlefields don't just feel like the oftentimes unplayable heightmap blobs they used to be.

goddamn it takes a few minutes to switch install location hurry up steam I'm getting itchy here

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 30, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gobblecoque posted:

goddamn it takes a few minutes to switch install location hurry up steam I'm getting itchy here

Lol I accidentally deleted the whole thing and need to redownload. Oh well, gotta do some work anyway. Dog walking is an essential occupation!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Has anyone figured out where you can sell prisoners yet?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Taverns, to the random broker.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You will never get those three or four hours of your life back my friend.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

you couldn't visit the elder or the city manager guy from the menu in vanilla, that was added in mods.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

My biggest gripe with M&B was that the AI was always blindly charging at you nonstop hacking away, forcing you to walk backward while blocking/hacking back. Made on-foot combat tedious. I'm curious to see if they've improved the AI to get rid of this and add things like AI dodging, pulling back, feinting, etc.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dynastocles posted:

My biggest gripe with M&B was that the AI was always blindly charging at you nonstop hacking away, forcing you to walk backward while blocking/hacking back. Made on-foot combat tedious. I'm curious to see if they've improved the AI to get rid of this and add things like AI dodging, pulling back, feinting, etc.

They have. The AI on 'Realistic' now is brutal, and even on lower difficulties jukes and dodges more.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lmao how many hrs did you put in warband without knowing this

also i literally thought this game would never come out and now i have no money for it. drat you taleworlds

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

They have. The AI on 'Realistic' now is brutal, and even on lower difficulties jukes and dodges more.

I was watching a streamer while waiting for mine to download (50 more minutes, woo!) and the AI was just giving him zero chance to lift his block and attack. Just nonstop attacking. Seemed legitimately like the AI was too good. Or he just sucked.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It is really strong. I turned it up to try it out and turned it right back down.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Can you still kick? I was watching some youtuve videos where it appeared that you did a pommel strike instead of a kick? If this is true i need to rethink purchasing.... so its important you answer me truthfully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kicks are still cool and good.