Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourite games, but I can't play more than an hour of 5 without wanting to peel my face off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
RE4 is like the perfect game. Easily the best level design in the entire franchise for me, with some of the best sound design. They have this amazing shooter-horror experience with an addictive Treasure Hunting & Inventory side-show. The game is also really long if you're engaging all of its elements, and people do. RE5 suffers from having really bad levels overall, ESPECIALLY in the campaign.

I detest playing through RE5's campaign greatly. The only good ones were the first few, up until that Jeep ride. Then it was just lame lame lame. The Mercenaries, all related DLC, were far better experiences.

However, Wesker is the true star of the campaign, and he's worth all the tedium.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love RE 4 but could never get more than a couple of levels into 5. I'm sure it would be way more enjoyable in coop, but that's not really a possibility for me, and it straight up sucks poo poo in single player.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WaltherFeng posted:

Jake for RE8.

Poor Jake, he will never be mentioned again. They bet big on the crossover appeal of RE6, it's like twice the amount of game that RE5 was.....but it made less money. It's one of those hilarious things where I've poo poo on it, and other people have poo poo on it, and it *was* a failure....by Capcom's standards. It was still the second most successful game in the series. The only real problem is the reviews and general player satisfaction, plus the company's expectations. It wasn't given "Second best in the series" manpower, it didn't have a "Second best in the series" budget. It was built to have mass crossover appeal and make them that Nathan Drake money. It didn't, their pivot into harder action was less well liked than RE5. And the poster boy of that game is Jake. When the Resident Evil team is done with a concept, it's in a loving black-hole forever. Like the nineteen separate companies that were behind the scenes of things after RE3. None of them are mentioned again.

The flip side would be I imagine they'll get back to the co-op stuff at some point. The Rev games aren't amazing sales-wise, but they are also budget titles and do a reliable 2.5 million. RE5 is the most popular game in the series, sales-wise. And even the people that poo poo on RE6 said it was *more* fun with a partner, by and large. People seem to not hate co-op in their games.....mostly. So they saw the pivot that RE6 made, and they saw it didn't work, so you get a stream of "Back to basics" releases. RE7 wasn't gangbuster sales like RE5 and 6, but it joined them in the "Over 7 million sales" club this year. It grew in popularity in time in a way that 5 and 6 didn't. It's also more generally 'liked' than 6. The Remake 2 release is drat near there already after a year and still doing alright sales. "Back to survival horror" isn't hurting them sales-wise, and it's good for the brand to go "Hi yes we remember zombies and horror, we can still do this". Like with DMC5, the experiment with DmC wasn't what they wanted it to be so they assembled the team to go "No, really, we can still do the thing really well when we want to".

Now that they've done that? I imagine they'll get back to some co-op action based games. They've had time to work in their engine a bit, try things out, get really used to it and various design types. They won't make 8 next, and I bet they won't remake something. If I had to bet I'd say their next game is co-op. But no more Jake. They did a Jake thing and it didn't work, so *poof* he goes to the island with Carlos and Sheva and Ashley and the fifteen other secret companies, and all the other things that will never be relevant again.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 but I've only ever played it once and that was with a friend. I suspect if I ever went back and played it again by myself I'd like it a lot less.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I don't hate RE6 for trying something different, I hate it for being a bad game. I'm too far removed from it to remember my specific complaints at this point, but I played through the entirety of Leon and Chris's campaigns and most of Jake's before I finally just gave up on having any fun with the thing. I really wanted to enjoy it. Game felt like a slog.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i hated both 4 and 5 and loved playing 6

i mean the story was garbage and pacing was bad and the characters sucked and using those stupid emblems you have to break to get the backstory was possibly the worst idea but it never got old to me that i could slide into enemies and immediately one shot them when they were stunned because of it

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I tried the RE5 demo when it came out way back when, and it felt very jarring compared to RE4. I didn't like the co-op partner element, I found the non-paused inventory with its capacity limit very frustrating and the pace of the combat just felt too fast for my tastes. Never given it the time of day since, especially since I'm a friendless loser so no co-op for me! If RE6 is more of the same I can't imagine I'm missing much.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Resident Evil 4 is still one of my favorite games of all time, but I couldn't even finish the first chapter of RE5 the last time I played it. The mandatory co-op is just such a huge drag on the experience, and the graphics being from the peak "real is brown" era certainly didn't help either.

Never even tried RE6, and have absolutely zero interest in doing so.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is a noticeable change from 1-3 and 4-6

The first three just use the story as an excuse for a survival horror game while 4-6 actually try and have plots.

To mixed success

this seems like a pretty arbitrary line to draw considering the story of 4 is “are you a bad enough dude to save the president’s daughter?”

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Also lmao @ 6 for trying to shoehorn a loving posthumous deadbeat dad plot into Wesker’s storyline

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

has it ever been datamined and confirmed with actual programming if the crosshair focusing baloney in these reimaginings does anything special?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

this seems like a pretty arbitrary line to draw considering the story of 4 is “are you a bad enough dude to save the president’s daughter?”

Yes it has a plot is actively going for

Which is not something the other three games I mentioned had

I never called it a complex plot but only really resident evil 1 had what you would call a plot and it got abandoned almost immediately

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Lunethex posted:

has it ever been datamined and confirmed with actual programming if the crosshair focusing baloney in these reimaginings does anything special?

Increases the damage around 50 % per shot IIRC

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes it has a plot is actively going for

Which is not something the other three games I mentioned had

I never called it a complex plot but only really resident evil 1 had what you would call a plot and it got abandoned almost immediately

They all have plots and cutscenes, im not sure what the distinction is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

In Training posted:

They all have plots and cutscenes, im not sure what the distinction is

They dont have them is the distinction.

1. Starts out trying to find the bravo team but then you find them immediately so you wonder around the mansion with no real goal until the game ends really.
2 and three are escape the city I guess but most of your moves don’t actually do anything to accomplish that you just kind of end up escaping do to dumb luck.

I guess you can say survive is a plot but that would be stupid

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just want, at a certain range, to be able to one shot dome a zombie and put em down just as that note you find instructs you. Bullet through the brain. Not 17.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

codo27 posted:

I just want, at a certain range, to be able to one shot dome a zombie and put em down just as that note you find instructs you. Bullet through the brain. Not 17.

this is what the shotgun is for

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

They dont have them is the distinction.

1. Starts out trying to find the bravo team but then you find them immediately so you wonder around the mansion with no real goal until the game ends really.
2 and three are escape the city I guess but most of your moves don’t actually do anything to accomplish that you just kind of end up escaping do to dumb luck.

I guess you can say survive is a plot but that would be stupid

You're just making poo poo up to fit your argument

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

All these games have excuse plots and characters for whatever they're going for at the time. 7 is basically the same as 1 in how everything in the game is in service of a horror adventure game with some action elements. Only difference is that they got more ostentatious due to the technology evolving and that gives the impression their plots are more complex.

The closest thing this franchise got at having any depth (and once again, I use that term loosely) in its writing were the character dramas of Chris/Piers and Jake/Sherry's in 6 where it felt like they wanted to move forward a bit instead of being stuck in the status quo for easy merchandising in tie-ins.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Nemesis' biggest bullshit move is the one he can only do when the camera isn't on him. If you try to run he does a leap forward with a tentacle grab. It's utterly impossible to dodge, because you can't see or guess when it actually happens, and he will only do it when you can't see him. Also, conveniently, you can't actually go through doors unless you face them, so it's pretty cheaply in his favor.

I think this Demo is going to ruin the full game for me if I keep playing it lol. Guess it's time to stop. Only 4 more days.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Oh no I saw a review stating the r3make single player is "disappointing" I didnt watch it because spoilers.

I really hope the first game I have preordered in ages is not terrible. Especially with how much I loved the original re3 and re 2 remake :suicide:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just from skimming the reviews so far, main complaints are that it's relatively short, there are some cut areas from the original RE3 no park apparently and the clock tower is shorterand a lack of puzzles. 5-6 hours seems to be the playtime and obviously there's no second character alternate playthrough. There's a pretty wide variety in the reviews as well, it's getting 9s from some, middling reviews from others and others are calling it a boring, disappointing mess which sounds lower than that, so reviews might not be the best gauge unless you know what that particular reviewer likes generally.

Personally it sounds mostly like I was expecting and it's getting dinged for similar stuff the original did which doesn't bother me too much, sounds like there's unlockables and some easter egg type stuff as well so that suits me, I played the poo poo out of RE2 Remake and got those S+ ranks on hardcore so I'll probably play through this on the harder difficulty initially and then replay it a bunch over the week before FF7 comes out.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 30, 2020

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Just from skimming the reviews so far, main complaints are that it's relatively short, there are some cut areas from the original RE3 no park apparently and the clock tower is shorterand a lack of puzzles. 5-6 hours seems to be the playtime and obviously there's no second character alternate playthrough. There's a pretty wide variety in the reviews as well, it's getting 9s from some, middling reviews from others and others are calling it a boring, disappointing mess which sounds lower than that, so reviews might not be the best gauge unless you know what that particular reviewer likes generally.

Personally it sounds mostly like I was expecting and it's getting dinged for similar stuff the original did which doesn't bother me too much, sounds like there's unlockables and some easter egg type stuff as well so that suits me, I played the poo poo out of RE2 Remake and got those S+ ranks on hardcore so I'll probably play through this on the harder difficulty initially and then replay it a bunch over the week before FF7 comes out.

The common element complained about is that Nemesis, like Mr. X, stops being dynamic after a while. Which is what I expected. There was no way he could keep up the bullshit he does in the demo for the entire game. It'd be borderline unplayable..

Interesting to me are those buff coins. More attack damage, regenerating health, geez. Seems like Capcom wants maximum replayability here.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Seems that unscripted pursuit nemesis is only around for a short section of the game in the beginning. I suppose when the game is only 5-6 hours long, the boss rush at the end of the game will really chew up play time. Whatever the case it seems like capcom pissed away some of their renewed good will with this one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought it would be obvious that people going into RE3 expecting what RE2 offered will be very disappointed. The original 2/3 were incredibly different even back then. Hell I'd argue that 1, 2, and 7 are the true survival horror games with backtracking and central hub areas and I never really had any illusion about how much more linear RE3 could get. That said I'm still excited to play the remake because it still meets a lot of the classic RE feel halfway

lurker2006 posted:

it seems like capcom pissed away some of their renewed good will with this one.

this is some extreme hyperbole lol

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Lack of puzzles and focus on combat is a real bummer. The short length wouldn't bother me if there was some 2nd scenario/4th survivor type stuff. The multiplayer looks pretty boring.

RE2 dropped in price pretty rapidly, I'll probably pick it up in a few months. My backlog is already long enough.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it seems like it is in fact a remake of Resident Evil 3 and if you thought the original 3 was a step down from 2 the remake isn't gonna change your mind.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Reviewer confirmed that Nemesis will be dropping loot. This pleases me. Also said those Pale Heads from the RE2 bonus mode will be returning. Don't even remember what makes them special lol.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 30, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I will like the game because I like the core resident evil gameplay, but I was really hoping that the dev team would use the original RE3 more as a launching point for building a more experimental, less linear campaign.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Lunethex posted:

Reviewer confirmed that Nemesis will be dropping loot. This pleases me. Also said those Pale Heads from the RE2 bonus mode will be returning. Don't even remember what makes them special lol.

Think they needed headshotting with big powerful guns to kill.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lunethex posted:

Leon Chapter 1 is terrible to start with. Both as a player for the first time and as an introduction to the game at all. You can tell they had a lot of ideas that they wanted to try early on in development that did not get smoothed out. ALL of that university walking around with the idiot you have to wait on to progress is time wasting. Up until you manage to get out into the University yard, it's also forcing you to walk, disabling controls left and right; there are so many weird constraints that do not paint a good picture of the game.
RE2, but you have to actually drive into the city for 15 minutes before the tanker truck cut scene plays.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Is mercenary mode back? Considering it started with re3 it'd be weird to leave it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zasze posted:

Is mercenary mode back? Considering it started with re3 it'd be weird to leave it out.

It is not.

With regards to Nemesis it isn't that he stops being dynamic. It is that he never is dynamic. He's entirely setpiece based. The Nemesis in the demo is the full extent of him even seeming remotely dynamic.

There's a lot of disappointing elements in RE3make. It's not terrible by any means but even as a remake of RE3 it feels like it's missing the same sense of creativity as RE2make did and it is very short and linear. If you expect to play it more than once start on Hardcore because that unlocks Nightmare which is the remix mode which changes things up in a couple of fun ways. With that said unless you have bonus unlocks prepare to get oneshot a lot.

That said if you are not comfortable in your skills once you finish the game once on any mode you can start buying super-gear with points earned from achievements. If you absolutely want to cheese this process and get the infinite ammo rocket launcher quickly: Save near any area with a large amount of enemies. Burn through them with your gun of choice, load your save, repeat. My particular areas of choice were the Factory Maze and the end of Carlos' section. Gun-based achievements earn an absurd amount of points so you can grab some high-quality items ASAP.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 30, 2020

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Anonymous Robot posted:

I will like the game because I like the core resident evil gameplay, but I was really hoping that the dev team would use the original RE3 more as a launching point for building a more experimental, less linear campaign.

Unfortunately you're not going to get that sort of game with RE3's turn around, either this or wait until early 2022.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I dunno, with enhanced incentive to light his rear end up and no menacing stalking clomps hunting you around the map I think Nemmy is gonna really pale next to Mr. X even if he is more dangerous in general.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

I dunno, with enhanced incentive to light his rear end up and no menacing stalking clomps hunting you around the map I think Nemmy is gonna really pale next to Mr. X even if he is more dangerous in general.

Mr. X is by far the more intimidating and interesting of the two.

As far as Nemesis loot goes the trigger for resetting the box drop appears to be "you reach a different cutscene with Nemesis" but from what I encountered only the first two drops were really interesting. Two weapon upgrades, some shotgun shells and a set of flame rounds. It's possible there are other drops and I just missed the trigger area because it's not super clear where Nemesis changes drop tables.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Caidin posted:

Mr. X's fun-ness was definitely hampered by the fact that there was absolutely no point in fighting him. The most you could hope for is he'd have to talk a breather for a moment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Glad the bonus stuff are a bit easier to get this time around. I did appreciate some of the more challenging ones in Remake 2 but I don't need to do another "no item box" run or "beat the game under x amount of steps taken". I earned those stripes, I'm good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

Mr. X's fun-ness was definitely hampered by the fact that there was absolutely no point in fighting him. The most you could hope for is he'd have to talk a breather for a moment.

That's sort of what helps make him scary though, if Mr. X could be pantsed for ammo and a better gun he'd just be a giant pinata you plan for, making him a complete resource drain makes me genuinely want to avoid him at all times and let's him inspire some dread.