Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Ohio State just extended our break by a week and are kicking everyone out of university housing. Going online only for the rest of the semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

M_Gargantua posted:

All MBAs are worthless, in person or online

M_Gargantua posted:

All MBAs are worthless, in person or online

It gets me up the gubment ladder quicker than an MPA, which is farrrr more worthless. That’s the entirety of my defense of the MBA

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

My MSW program just suspended in-person field placement (internship) until the end of the month. Doesn't really bother me as the winter weather has caused a lot of clients I was seeing to not want to come in for services. Back to working from home like my old IT consulting days for me.

Edit: And after a staff meeting this afternoon the whole agency is on WFH and working on home visits for clients

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 16, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My system just cancelled all in person classes moving to virtual only, and summer is online/virtual only. I sincerely hope they figure out how to make the science and math work because otherwise I'm kinda screwed education plan wise. Not that running gen chem and calc online would be fun, but gently caress man, I just want to learn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That sucks if you won't get to do the chemistry labs. Seeing the stuff happen was kind of neat.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I did an online lab for Biology in a 4 credit class I took. It's not chemistry but I know that at least it's doable with some of the labs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

They've officially just postponed commencement to an unknown date in the future. Canceled our flights, hotel, and train ticket. Originally, we were gonna go to Disneyland before commencement and then take the train down to San Diego for a few days. C'est la vie.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Our commencement is obviously cancelled, and I'm hoping they just give a rain check instead of putting on some insulting Skype ceremony. On the bright side, Bryant-Denny's stadium renovations will be done by then so we can actually have commencement there now. Even if the crowd will probably be occupying every third seat.

With Dad's health becoming more fragile tho there is definitely a bitter undercurrent of "they better get this thing done while I'm alive to see it".

Anyone else have problems staying on focus the last two months of their degree? The combination of the world melting while we were overseas and a total shift to online has me as unmotivated and disconnected-feeling as all hell. I pulled some last-minute poo poo that was drastic even for me on a midterm tonight.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I'm having some motivation problems. My MS exam is this week and I need to wrap up the major papers for the semester now that the research is done.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I was already pretty checked out but now really dgaf. The lawschool has switched to pass/fail so I'm gonna be phoning it in pretty hard. I'm one of the lucky ones who already has a job - a lot of my cohort were in the midst of a job search when all this started and are royally hosed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I was already pretty checked out but now really dgaf. The lawschool has switched to pass/fail so I'm gonna be phoning it in pretty hard. I'm one of the lucky ones who already has a job - a lot of my cohort were in the midst of a job search when all this started and are royally hosed.

I'm still on my post-law school job hunt.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

Our commencement is obviously cancelled, and I'm hoping they just give a rain check instead of putting on some insulting Skype ceremony. On the bright side, Bryant-Denny's stadium renovations will be done by then so we can actually have commencement there now. Even if the crowd will probably be occupying every third seat.

With Dad's health becoming more fragile tho there is definitely a bitter undercurrent of "they better get this thing done while I'm alive to see it".

Anyone else have problems staying on focus the last two months of their degree? The combination of the world melting while we were overseas and a total shift to online has me as unmotivated and disconnected-feeling as all hell. I pulled some last-minute poo poo that was drastic even for me on a midterm tonight.

Yeah me and everybody I know is essentially just shrugging their shoulders. Professors included. We're presenting over webex for our capstone design project, with no grading rubric or expectation of actually having meaningful project results because campus is on hard lockdown until summer. Nobody knows whats going on with classes that are lab based, and the only teacher who seems to be on board with this serious online coursework is a COMM 1400 class where to make up for "missing (absolutely useless) lecture time" are making things so obnoxious that you would essentially have to sit at your computer for an hour a day to be present for the streams and quizzes and polls.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Welp just realized I missed the window for an online exam because of all of the turmoil last week. Hopefully they'll let me take it this week at a penalty or something. Gonna suck if I have to take a zero on that.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Uni took it out of the advisors hands to conduct grad research :toot:

I have to have the permission of the program chair to set foot in the lab.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm still on my post-law school job hunt.

:whitewater:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

When is BAH issued for the post 9-11? I've been out since 27JAN, in school the whole time and gotten no BAH. Is there a 30 day lag or something or should I assume they hosed up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

When is BAH issued for the post 9-11? I've been out since 27JAN, in school the whole time and gotten no BAH. Is there a 30 day lag or something or should I assume they hosed up?

It can take a while the first time you use your GI Bill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

The VA likely has not processed your stuff yet. You’ll get everything once they do.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Not only that, but don't forget you get your pay at the end of a given month, never up front. Every vet student I knew had a tight month here or there

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

January/February were pretty tight because I didn't take a winter class to bridge the gap

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I volunteered most of the summer for two years and always felt the crunch the first few months back to class in early fall as I scrabbled to get over missing several months' of pay. Winters weren't so bad, since our fall semesters usually went into December, so I got at least some kind of check on New Year's

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

At what point would you guys recommend I assume they hosed up and get on it, like end of April?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

maffew buildings posted:

At what point would you guys recommend I assume they hosed up and get on it, like end of April?

Like now.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

One of my classmates told me he got all of his BAH payments for the Fall 19 semester in one lump sum in January because the VA messed up processing his change from terminal leave the first week of class to veteran on GI Bill the rest of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Did you receive an email saying that your enrollment has been received by the VA? If so, you'll be fine - it just takes time to process. If you did not, first reach out to your school's VA coordinator.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got a mailer packet and they gave me a book stipend and paid my tuition, that the same or is this contingent on email specific?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

I got a mailer packet and they gave me a book stipend and paid my tuition, that the same or is this contingent on email specific?

When the VA person at your school submits your enrollment, you should receive an email from VA-ONCE@vba.va.gov that acknowledges it. If you did not get that email, first check spam folders (and your school email address if you weren’t already checking that). If you can’t find it, contact your school and ask them what’s up.

The email should be:

Subj: Confirmation - Enrollment Information Sent to VA

Body:
An Amendment for the period beginning on START DATE and ending on END DATE has been submitted to the VA. This was submitted by a certifying official from the YOUR SCHOOL on SUBMISSION DATE. Your claim will be processed in the order it was received. Please do not respond to this message.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

You're probably fine in that case, since those payments are all processed separately for whatever reason.

Definitely double check though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Cool thanks guys

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah I'd just reach out to your veterans services office or whoever your school's certifying official for an update on what is going on.

If you are using Voc Rehab then you would reach out to your counselor.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got the email. I just forgot how slow the government moves in my brief time out. Thanks for all the answers guys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

I got the email. I just forgot how slow the government moves in my brief time out. Thanks for all the answers guys.

Perfect timing :lol:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anybody else just wracked by constant anxiety over the transition to online only or is it just me

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Closing the comms loop on why I didn't get BAH. I was still AD in the system. Of course!

Re: online transition, no anxiety but it is a challenge in that I fall in to my worst habits regarding study and work. Physically going to class provided me with a lot of regimentation that I don't naturally recreate.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My hearing is a bit hosed up in one ear so these impromptu online classes have plenty of lecturers and students that have absolute dog poo poo microphones and I have a lot of trouble understanding what is going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I found out today that I got into Texas A&M. Hopefully things are better by the fall

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I found out today that I got into Texas A&M. Hopefully things are better by the fall

Congratulations! Don't get Aggie-washed.

Friday is the last presentation of the entire MBA program, and probably the last school assignment I will ever have in my life. I thought I'd feel more thrill or joy. I just want it to be done.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Cojawfee posted:

Congrats and good luck on your studies

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

Congratulations! Don't get Aggie-washed.

Friday is the last presentation of the entire MBA program, and probably the last school assignment I will ever have in my life. I thought I'd feel more thrill or joy. I just want it to be done.

Same boat with my MS. Done with classes, will be working on my thesis the rest of the year and probably done in December. Originally I thought I was going to walk since I skipped undergrad but I'm definitely over that and probably just treat myself to a cabin for a week or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DONE DONE DONE gently caress school if I talk about going back for my Phudd fly to Mobile Alabama and shoot me in the loving brain stem