Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Glad the bonus stuff are a bit easier to get this time around. I did appreciate some of the more challenging ones in Remake 2 but I don't need to do another "no item box" run or "beat the game under x amount of steps taken". I earned those stripes, I'm good!

Those achievements are still in the game but relatively less valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Caidin posted:

That's sort of what helps make him scary though, if Mr. X could be pantsed for ammo and a better gun he'd just be a giant pinata you plan for, making him a complete resource drain makes me genuinely want to avoid him at all times and let's him inspire some dread.
I dunno, I found Nemesis scary in the original RE3. Then again I was like 14.

I found Mr. X terrifying in early playthroughs of RE2make, then just annoying (especially in B scenarios). It's been a bit since I played the remake, but I recall him being so durable that you basically couldn't drop him if you wanted to without burning all your ammo. (Infinite weapons notwithstanding of course.)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sounds like RE3 2020 is going all in on inspiring the same reaction that RE3 1999 had, which is pretty admirable.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Journalists seem to be harping on Nemesis encounters being scripted outside of when you’re in the city streets, but guess what, most of the encounters in the original game were scripted too.

Ima buy this game and enjoy it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah the game being a step down from RE2 was basically what I was expecting. I played 3 many years later and still loved it, so I'm hopeful it'll be the same case here.

The question is though, what do they do now? Are they gonna hold out for a while longer and remake CV before 4 is staring them in the face?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe they'll remake 0 lol.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
playing on hard my first go around. gonna own.

theres a lot of optional areas too rather than the main path.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Momomo posted:

Yeah the game being a step down from RE2 was basically what I was expecting. I played 3 many years later and still loved it, so I'm hopeful it'll be the same case here.

The question is though, what do they do now? Are they gonna hold out for a while longer and remake CV before 4 is staring them in the face?

they are releasing another re game next year, a proper main entry that is probably gonna be spin off titled/scrapped re8 and they are also working on re8 but that is most def next gen. they wont be remaking anything for awhile, cv could do with it but lol they are not gonna remake anything re4 or beyond.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the remixed mode sounds cool

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Capcom should focus on their other discarded franchises anyway so I'm good with RE getting a breather after this lengthy revival era of 7 and 2/3 getting remakes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dino Crisis remake please and thank you

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i guess capcom heard about people struggling with that awful block spinning puzzle in the orphanage and cut all the puzzles in the game

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

has it ever been datamined and confirmed with actual programming if the crosshair focusing baloney in these reimaginings does anything special?

If you mean does letting the crosshair close increase gun damage at least in REmake2 I believe it does not. I think I remember that there is also no damage difference between headshots and torsoshots on zombies but headshots will obviously stagger them.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
gently caress more Remakes,do more Dragons dogma.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kibayasu posted:

If you mean does letting the crosshair close increase gun damage at least in REmake2 I believe it does not. I think I remember that there is also no damage difference between headshots and torsoshots on zombies but headshots will obviously stagger them.
Headshots at least have the chance for a critical head-pop.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

oh yeah legit leaker dusk also says there another capcom remake out in 2022, its not cv and probably not dino crisis either, dont think its resident evil but i think it might be outbreak or dmc1. he knows what it is but like the one out next year, he wont talk about it for a few months, some kinda promise to his capcom source but eh, we'll be mad maxing poo poo by then so who cares.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

Journalists seem to be harping on Nemesis encounters being scripted outside of when you’re in the city streets, but guess what, most of the encounters in the original game were scripted too.

Ima buy this game and enjoy it.

Let me phrase this in a different way.

It is not that they are scripted. It is that they are guided. It isn't that he shows up at specific times but that he shows up at specific times and then you do a linear guided run-away-from-him segment.

It would not be the worst thing in the world (just sort of generic) if not for the fact that Mr. X set such a high standard that Nemesis feels less threatening just because you're not avoiding or running away from him, just completing the scene.

If you go in expecting "Nemesis is basically just a boss character who shows up from time to time" you'll probably be less disappointed than if you go in expecting "Nemesis is the realization of the Mr. X proof of concept."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 30, 2020

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lunethex posted:

Reviewer confirmed that Nemesis will be dropping loot. This pleases me. Also said those Pale Heads from the RE2 bonus mode will be returning. Don't even remember what makes them special lol.

They regenerate damage dealt to them unless hit with a hard hitting weapon. So basically you can’t use the basic handgun on them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
X was pretty great because most of the fucks ups were caused by running into a pack of zombies or lickers.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
X was also great because him getting his poo poo ruined by Birkin was one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

X was pretty great because most of the fucks ups were caused by running into a pack of zombies or lickers.

Yeah, this exactly. If you didn't clear out areas first or left stuff alive, X casing you into licker hallways was...rough. That's what made him so fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I was really hoping for Nemesis to be much more interesting. Overtly toying with you, holding back a killing blow at times and just doing his utmost to be a thorn in the side, rather than a boss enemy. Basically, more Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor/War, less Nemesis from RE3, since they've already done that with Mr X.

This one feels like a product of a B-team.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
People were already loudly complaining about Mr X stressing them out to the point where they couldn't play the game at all, even though X is slow as gently caress and easy to avoid, if Nemesis operated on the same rules then it'd be unplayable for many people.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh yeah legit leaker dusk also says there another capcom remake out in 2022, its not cv and probably not dino crisis either, dont think its resident evil but i think it might be outbreak or dmc1. he knows what it is but like the one out next year, he wont talk about it for a few months, some kinda promise to his capcom source but eh, we'll be mad maxing poo poo by then so who cares.

DMC2 remake incoming
Justice for Lucia at last

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I was really hoping for Nemesis to be much more interesting. Overtly toying with you, holding back a killing blow at times and just doing his utmost to be a thorn in the side, rather than a boss enemy. Basically, more Nemesis System from Shadow of Mordor/War, less Nemesis from RE3, since they've already done that with Mr X.

This one feels like a product of a B-team.

To be somewhat honest it feels like it was made to go along with REsistance rather than as a stand-alone thing. If you consider it half the package instead of the whole that makes some of its shortcomings make more sense.

The downside being that if you don't want Resistance then it won't hold a lot of value to you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This RE3make dissing is bumming me out considering RE2make is easily my favorite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

This RE3make dissing is bumming me out considering RE2make is easily my favorite.

I mean at the end of the day if you enjoyed RE2make's core gameplay you'll probably enjoy RE3make. It's not a terrible unplayable game or anything of the sort, it's just mostly disappointing as a followup and doesn't live up to its potential.

Like the bulk of its problems are not "it does this poorly" but "It doesn't do enough with this." It still has some strong moments and effective scares and TBH I think Nightmare Mode did a better job of keeping things fresh than RE2's second campaign (comparing A scenario to B scenario since obviously Leon to Claire or vice-versa is a pretty significant change) assuming you don't mind aggressive/high damage enemy aspect.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 30, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be somewhat honest it feels like it was made to go along with REsistance rather than as a stand-alone thing. If you consider it half the package instead of the whole that makes some of its shortcomings make more sense.

The downside being that if you don't want Resistance then it won't hold a lot of value to you.

started dev the same time as re2 tho

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my main concern with RE3 is that it sounds like it will have zero replayability. also i remember someone scolding me for calling the original RE3 linear, so lmao.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Remake of RE 4 with even more goofy Leon zingers plz.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Ah yes, those great zingers like

"Saddler, you're small-time. :cool:"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Can’t remember the name huh? A senior moment, perhaps?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Leon's best line in RE4 is at the start:
"Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

After that it's all downhill.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

rabidsquid posted:

my main concern with RE3 is that it sounds like it will have zero replayability. also i remember someone scolding me for calling the original RE3 linear, so lmao.

ImpAtom is upthread saying that it's got a bunch of post-game unlockables that switch things up.

Of course, that's probably down to it being him. In case you didn't know, ImpAtom is a skill-tester robot who destroys whatever game you put in front of him. Most normal meat humans would not be able to so thoroughly evaluate the game's higher-difficulty content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

It has less than RE2 overall but it does have five difficulty modes and a fair number of unlockable items.

Nightmare Mode is effectively Hardcore New Game + in that it builds off Hardcore's difficulty but throws twists at you. Some pathways are blocked off and the game enjoys throwing little twists at you. One relatively minor spoilery one is that a path that is normally clear when you are being chased by Nemesis instead has a zombie blocking one of the doors so instead of just running through and being safe you're forced to slow down for a second, which hurts a lot more when Nemesis can wreck you near-instantly assuming you're not using bonus items to boost your defenses. It also is where dodging goes from "a good idea" to "basically mandatory if you don't want to die horribly." That said if you are uncomfortable with the dodge mechanics there is a bonus item that massively increases the Perfect Dodge window.

There's the usual score attack/go for an S rank/achievement stuff.

Basically the replayability is going to come from if you like doing the same stuff but harder or like going for S-ranks.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I feel like most of the replayability in a Resi title lies in optimizing your route through the game, which is why most of them are pretty short.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jimbot posted:

Glad the bonus stuff are a bit easier to get this time around. I did appreciate some of the more challenging ones in Remake 2 but I don't need to do another "no item box" run or "beat the game under x amount of steps taken". I earned those stripes, I'm good!

Same. By the time I got around to unlocking anything I was tired of playing it.

Pretty bummed about what look like bad reviews on this, especially in the wake of the Doom apparently not being too great either. I need a new game and already pre-ordered RE3 based on how much I loved REmake2 but that's a bummer. I'd like to pick up a good scary game but nothing is jumping out at me. Any suggestions?

I've played EW1 and 2, don't like Dead Rising, beat Alien: Isolation and played Outlast 1 and 2 for a spell. Also fired up RE7 again for the first time in forever and had forgotten enough of it to make it enjoyable but what I really want is RE8 and something fresh.

edit: already answered

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 30, 2020

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

gently caress more Remakes,do more Dragons dogma.

:hmmyes:
please Capcom

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. By the time I got around to unlocking anything I was tired of playing it.

Pretty bummed about what look like bad reviews on this, especially in the wake of the Doom apparently not being too great either. I need a new game and already pre-ordered RE3 based on how much I loved REmake2 but that's a bummer. I'd like to pick up a good scary game but nothing is jumping out at me. Any suggestions?

I've played EW1 and 2, don't like Dead Rising, beat Alien: Isolation and played Outlast 1 and 2 for a spell. Also fired up RE7 again for the first time in forever and had forgotten enough of it to make it enjoyable but what I really want is RE8 and something fresh.

edit: already answered

Have you ever tried the Dead Space games? If you have even a moderately powerful PC you can run them and Dead Space 1 may scratch your itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

We need a Resident Evil game where the second half is like the first half, but not in the Devil May Cry 4 kind of way. A lot of games try to escalate the stakes in the second half by making things more linear and more explosions, which means cutting down on the exploration and non-linearity that was so appealing. By the midpoint of Metal Gear Solid you had seen all of Shadow Moses and from then on it was a linear series of action set-pieces with no stealth. I think there was more stealth-gameplay in the tutorials than there was in the actual game.

Evil Within 2 had three sandbox chapters spaced throughout the game which lent to its excellent pacing.