Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just smh you all dont just cook off 1lb of bacon at a time and store the grease for cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

pentyne posted:

Just smh you all dont just cook off 1lb of bacon at a time and store the grease for cooking.

Bacon grease is great and I have tons of use cases for it but a really good olive oil is absolutely key.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

probably a good reason to stop going.

Honestly do not get why anyone is still going to grocery stores right now. poo poo's been going on for like a full month at this point. Senior hour at the local co still has a line out through the parking lot lol, place is deserted by the afternoon.

I feel like there's a lot of people doing the mental math on how long they can last with current supplies and thinking "If I hit the stores one more time I can make it an extra two weeks and it's probably better to do this right now than 2-4 weeks from now."

That's what I'm thinking anyway. If I do go I'll probably wait until Wednesday since that's when they're slowest though I hope everyone else doesn't have the same idea.

I feel like if you've got some wipes and hand sani and you take proper precautions your risk is very minimal right now as long as you live in a smaller city.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
But what if I'm almost out of Tillamook cheddar and birth control? Sorry, I have to go.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bird with big dick posted:

I feel like there's a lot of people doing the mental math on how long they can last with current supplies and thinking "If I hit the stores one more time I can make it an extra two weeks and it's probably better to do this right now than 2-4 weeks from now."
2ish weeks is what I expect a couple would take to go through most of their food if they're literally at home all day every day.

At some point your meat or veggies will start to turn And even with beans, rice, canned food and ramen you'll need some variety. Much less any of the "poo poo I only had a 1/4 bottle oil and now..." kind of things.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

2ish weeks is what I expect a couple would take to go through most of their food if they're literally at home all day every day.

At some point your meat or veggies will start to turn And even with beans, rice, canned food and ramen you'll need some variety. Much less any of the "poo poo I only had a 1/4 bottle oil and now..." kind of things.

Yeah I'm at the point where a trip now is probably more about quality of life for the last two weeks of the next month than any kind of actual urgent need (i.e. I do have a shitload of beans and rice).

Like it absolutely will extend my ability to quarantine another two+ weeks but it'll also make 4 quarantine weeks a lot nicer I guess.

Part of my personal calculus also factors in that I'm WFH but my wife is not (yet, I'm hoping soon but her employer sucks poo poo), so no matter what I do I can't reduce my exposure to zero so the added very minimal risk of a careful trip to Costco right now doesn't seem like a problem.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bird with big dick posted:

Mine wasn't doing that but they may have changed. I drove past yesterday and they had part of the parking lot blocked off and there was a line of people headed in with carts so they're definitely doing something different.

They had a small stack of clean ones inside but of course the person in front of me grabbed a non-clean one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FilthyImp posted:

Freeze your meat. There's really no excuse for it to go bad. We've just got a lovely above-fridge freezer and we still manage to cram a gently caress load of meat in there. If poo poo got bad we've got at least 3 week's worth of food just from frozen meat for the two of us, and a bit more if it got REALLY bad and we started cutting down the size of our meals.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I genuinely pity you if all waters and oils taste the same to you.

Anyway, last Tuesday I made a visit to church, and bought the giant 7 pound + thing of ground beef. I froze two pounds, made 3 pounds of sloppy joe, and two pounds of taco meat. They didn't have my usual huge package of chicken thighs, so I bought a huge package of tenderloins. I don't particularly like the tenderloins, but I cooked two pounds into a Mexican enchilada bake, and froze the rest.

I have to agree, It's a lot of meat to take, if you aren't prepared.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 30, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Freeze your meat.

Or just loving cook it! Fully cooked, seasoned food lasts much longer in the fridge then raw meat does.

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's really no excuse for it to go bad.

drat straight. Specially if you can't leave the house!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Or just loving cook it! Fully cooked, seasoned food lasts in the fridge much much longer then raw meat does.

6 days max.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I buy my steaks and put them in individual ziplock bags and freeze them.

Also good to freeze are the Sabatinos chicken sausages. :D

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

6 days max.

Maybe if you are on chemotherapy.

It isn't going to make it that long, but properly sealed and refrigerated, that sloppy joe I made is good for two weeks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

It isn't going to make it that long, but properly sealed and refrigerated, that sloppy joe I made is good for two weeks.

Hello,

This is dangerous and wrong.

If you care.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...bxv4y_Xef_z/#13

These are on the very low safe end but lol at 2 weeks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Freeze your meat. There's really no excuse for it to go bad.

I just ate some recently thawed 5 year old smoked salmon and it was loving delicious. Gonna make this with it later.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/smoked_salmon_pasta/print/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chinatown posted:

I buy my steaks and put them in individual ziplock bags and freeze them.

Also good to freeze are the Sabatinos chicken sausages. :D

Costco (at least here) has big rear end 12+ pound NY strip loins for less than 6 bucks a pound. I buy these and cut them real thick (to make them easy to reverse sear) and vacuum seal them 2 steaks to a pack (which is enough for 4+ people).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was going to use the Costco auto buying program to take advantage of crazy auto financing, but no VW dealers in my area participate. :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Get a vacuum sealer for your meats and fish. They last forever in the freezer without any freezer burn. The only thing I use zip lock bags for still is ground beef.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The best tangential purchase to go with a Costco membership is a full sized freezer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of freezing does anyone have a good technique for keeping pitas frozen but edible? I get the big pack of pitas from costco and usually eat em with hummus dips. It consists of 4 bags of 8 pitas each or so and I usually put 2 of the bags with the overwrap bag in the freezer to prevent molding because I don’t go through them that fast.

Usually when i get them out of the freezer I will toss them in the microwave to warm (10-15sec) but I find they are a bit on the hard/stale side after freezing. Toasting them into pita chips works though!

Any suggestions on keeping pitas fresher longer would be great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Hello,

This is dangerous and wrong.

If you care.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...bxv4y_Xef_z/#13

These are on the very low safe end but lol at 2 weeks.

These are very wasteful guidelines with worst case scenario in mind. Two weeks is very possible for a lot of things, just pay attention to any off colors or odors.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

These are very wasteful guidelines with worst case scenario in mind. Two weeks is very possible for a lot of things, just pay attention to any off colors or odors.

This applies to all food safety labels. The "best by" date is less about protecting a consumer then it is liability coverage for protecting a corporation that sells it, plus encouraging people to dispose of edible food on the chance it could've gone bad and buy more.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone that eats rear end can eat some stroganoff that's been chilling in the fridge for 12 days.

Anyone that doesn't eat rear end can gtfo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Two weeks for food you've cooked is crazy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Two weeks for food you've cooked is crazy.

Look, I have ServSafe, I know what the real rules are.

In my professional life, I would never serve food past the stated dates, but that's because as a business, you have to assume that EVERY customer is immuno compromised.

But in the real world, I know my own health, and so I eat old food. I serve old food to my friends and family! The point is that dates are arbitrary, and I've got a good nose; as long as the food is still appetizing, I'm eating it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Look, I have ServSafe, I know what the real rules are.

In my professional life, I would never serve food past the stated dates, but that's because as a business, you have to assume that EVERY customer is immuno compromised.

But in the real world, I know my own health, and so I eat old food. I serve old food to my friends and family! The point is that dates are arbitrary, and I've got a good nose; as long as the food is still appetizing, I'm eating it.

:shrug:

I've also set up and run a USDA inspected plant so I know food safety as well.

There isn't a single thing out there that says 2 week old food is even remotely safe.

Glad you haven't gotten anyone sick but serving 2 week old cooked food isn't safe.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Howdy folks, just got my auto insurance renewal for my policy that I bought through Costco.

$219 for the whole loving 6-months.

Now I live in Wisconsin where insurance is cheap as poo poo, but still. It was so low I finally pulled the trigger on lowering my deductible to $250 and it only went up to $247 for the term.

Costco Insurance is great, PBUC.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

Howdy folks, just got my auto insurance renewal for my policy that I bought through Costco.

$219 for the whole loving 6-months.

Now I live in Wisconsin where insurance is cheap as poo poo, but still. It was so low I finally pulled the trigger on lowering my deductible to $250 and it only went up to $247 for the term.

Costco Insurance is great, PBUC.

gently caress that is amazing.

I'm in CA and I pay $117 a month for my drat Honda.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't eat fast food, if anything because I can't taste oil. I barely use any oils when I cook because they're calories without flavor, except butter does have a flavor. But saying avocado oil has flavor is just bizarre, avocado itself has no flavor so why would the oil have flavor? Where would it come from?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
posting in a pick thread :rackem:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pick posted:

I don't eat fast food, if anything because I can't taste oil. I barely use any oils when I cook because they're calories without flavor, except butter does have a flavor. But saying avocado oil has flavor is just bizarre, avocado itself has no flavor so why would the oil have flavor? Where would it come from?

I guess your right

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
"Avocado itself has no flavor."- Pick

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"Avocado itself has no flavor."- Pick

I've read some really crazy poo poo on these forums today and this is the craziest thing yet (yes even crazier then eating 2 week old cooked food).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well what does it taste like to you then!?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pick posted:

Depends on the avocado but kinda a buttery nutty flavor I guess.

If it doesn't have any flavor it might not be ripe :shrug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Pick posted:

Next you'll be telling me that turmeric has no flavor

Pick posted:

It's like a smooth, mellow cross between earthiness, 'green' and a minute dab of butter.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh good another thread infested by the broke brain.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Turmeric is a favorite spice and it is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pick posted:

Avocado