Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

brothers in apathy, unite

normally my job has to be on site but I managed to find poo poo to do remotely...but I have no idea how long I'll be able to do this. hell, work aside, how long should we all be holed up for?? what the gently caress is safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm doing about as much work from home as i do from the office, which is not a lot

burning swine
May 26, 2004

my workload is higher right now than it was before this catastrophe and I'm kind of annoyed about it

then again there are a lot of people still stuck going in to work for no good reason so I guess I should be grateful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

burning swine posted:

my workload is higher right now than it was before this catastrophe and I'm kind of annoyed about it

Yeah i was 99% wfh before this so it just means that we're getting more issues shunted to us by people that are freaking out and unable to do simple tasks that they would be able to do otherwise. I'm trying to be understanding about it but uh content delivery network + pandemic internet traffic + none of our customers have ever not worked from the office = tickets tickets tickets

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SO DEMANDING posted:

raise your hand if you absolutely cannot give a single gently caress about work

I had to deal with some bullshit this morning with a forced IT reboot for mac updates. This update broke one of my display ports and I wasted 45 minutes rebooting my mac trying to do a smc reboot or something.

I wasn't in a great mood before that, but now I've been trying to grep through some spaghetti terraform trying to find the chain of how some stupid variable gets passed around and rendered and gently caress

My jobs just gone full hog as of like 3 business days ago on now demanding jira tickets for literally everything so yeah cool nothing says productivity like making a poo poo ton of jira tickets instead of keeping notes in sublime like I have here for the last year.

Between

Methanar posted:

Friendly reminder that for any covid19 business continuity meetings you get pulled into, when somebody starts talking about single points of failure and bus factors, that has the dual purpose of identifying redundancy and who can be laid off with minimal business impact.

Just remember all corporations are soulless monsters and the only courtesy they will ever extend is asking how long of a rope you'd like when they hang you. Please represent knowledge sharing and business tolerance of missing personnel accordingly.

And the new push on jira ticketting absolutely everything, I'm pretty sure my company is trying to ID who to lay off. They better not get rid of me just before my RSU cliff.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 30, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

brothers in apathy, unite

normally my job has to be on site but I managed to find poo poo to do remotely...but I have no idea how long I'll be able to do this. hell, work aside, how long should we all be holed up for?? what the gently caress is safe?

cdc's current recommendation is until the end of april. the end of may is probably more realistic, but we'll see how things work out.

and yeah, i have more work because of this, which i'm actually kind of happy for. i usually don't have a *ton* to do, so it's nice to feel productive most days (though today is not one of those days)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Methanar posted:

My jobs just gone full hog as of like 3 business days ago on now demanding jira tickets for literally everything so yeah cool nothing says productivity like making a poo poo ton of jira tickets instead of keeping notes in sublime like I have here for the last year.

is this some new management thing? because we've started with it and some of it is insane, like PMs demanding that all work have jira items and producing these incredibly complicated diagrams that link multiple jiras across instances and have titles like "quantifying the work being done"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

is this some new management thing? because we've started with it and some of it is insane, like PMs demanding that all work have jira items and producing these incredibly complicated diagrams that link multiple jiras across instances and have titles like "quantifying the work being done"

It's bullshit micromanagement to make managers feel better about people who weren't wfh before now being wfh.

And documenting justifications for everybody that is about to be laid off. 'looks like the jira ticket average is 3 per day, you've only been doing 2. you have 30 seconds to explain'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone wanna swap lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm getting more work done than usual, but I feel more lazy than at the office. At the office when I'm talking to people or looking busy reading the internet, or in meetings or whatever I feel like people perceive me as being productive, but then I replace all that poo poo with playing video games at home and I feel lazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've been pretty successful at avoiding video games during work hours, but that's mostly because there's someone stuck here with me and I don't want to get caught

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

if someone asks me to do something and its not in a jira ticket i probably wont do it. once they open a jira ticket it gets added to the pile and prioritized so people have realistic expectations of how things are gonna get done.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

haveblue posted:

I have no gently caress and I must work

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't have anything I'm looking forward to.

I don't want to subsist day by day for the sake of doing it anymore. I haven't really left my house in 6-8 months.

For years I predicated everything how I just need to finish this work project and then things will be better. I don't have that anymore

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i feel like i'm being more productive right now but i only have a contract until the end of may and i don't think my chances of being hired full-time are very high considering the current situation

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
every day is the same: sit inside on computer, consume some media, play some board games with the gf, eat a food, smoke a weed, drink a beer

so basically the same poo poo i do normally anyway. i just can't go to restaurants so i'm probably losing weight as a bonus! sitting inside with all social interactions mediated through computer is how i grew up and became a professional computer toucher, i was born for this poo poo, bring it on

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

every day is the same: sit inside on computer performing unfulfilling and ultimately meaningless and beneficiaryless activities, consume pagerduty alerts, eat a food,

so basically the same poo poo i do normally anyway. inside with all social interactions mediated through computer is how i grew up and became a professional computer toucher

My tinnitus is going apeshit

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

C WFH S: My boss is still doing the "I need everyone to be super productive this week so I scheduled 2 hours of planning + daily team check-ins" thing, just over video chat instead of in person.

The good news is I'm transferring teams in a month and the new boss seems pretty chill. The bad news is that I've gotta wrap up all my current projects in that month and I'm finding it harder and harder to give a poo poo, since on top of the regular covid-19 stuff I also have team senioritis. teamioritis

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

if someone asks me to do something and its not in a jira ticket i probably wont do it. once they open a jira ticket it gets added to the pile and prioritized so people have realistic expectations of how things are gonna get done.

This would probably be fine but much like people who completely miss the point of agile/flavor of the week and implement what they want... I see plenty of orgs who say "we need to know what people are doing!" and then try to make break knowledge work down into cranking widgets by making tickets for "<blah> analysis" or whatever that's really open ended, long-running, etc. Completely garbage in garbage out. Now, well defined tasks or even breaking up knowledge work into tickets can work, I just don't generally see it done well.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

that version is fine like "here's a thing, please do it", this version is "I see you did a thing, why was there not a jira for it?" like we had one person demanding that we get a vendor doing an installation to tie any work they did to individual jira tasks so they could track it somehow, when they're working under a contract that says " install X, we will pay you Y", we don't care about the breakdown of how they do it and they're managing their own jiras in their home instance with their own pms.

Also this is being applied to everything , you added some comments? hope you put a jira reference in any commits or the cops are gonna get you!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that kind of specific itemization is only really useful if you're billing that time back to a client. for internal stuff you don't need to be that detailed task wise.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shelter in place in sf extended to may 1, rip every bar, hair stylist/barber, gym, and non essential retail business

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I feel like I have a cold, or a sinus infection type thing, even though I haven’t left the house in like two weeks.

or maybe it is corona?? also maybe alcohol withdrawals?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stereotype posted:

I feel like I have a cold, or a sinus infection type thing, even though I haven’t left the house in like two weeks.

The four big tells of corona:

-fever
-coughing, especially extended or dry coughing
-shortness of breath
-chest pain

if you don't have most of these, you almost certainly do not have corona. sneezing, headaches, stuffy nose, a normal level of sporadic coughing, etc are not corona symptoms

either way, drink more alcohol

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

SO DEMANDING posted:

raise your hand if you absolutely cannot give a single gently caress about work

Buddy, hitting the post button is almost too much effort for me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

this is the key point, right here

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also stereotype your symptoms sound like a typical case of spring allergies

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

allergies are another popular option this time of year; even if you don't have severe reactions the sheer amount of plant jizz floating around in the air can be enough to give you sniffles.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

allergies are another popular option this time of year; even if you don't have severe reactions the sheer amount of plant jizz floating around in the air can be enough to give you sniffles.

pollen counts are at record highs

nature is coming back in a big way, and we're the german goo girl

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

haveblue posted:

The four big tells of corona:

-fever
-coughing, especially extended or dry coughing
-shortness of breath
-chest pain

if you don't have most of these, you almost certainly do not have corona. sneezing, headaches, stuffy nose, a normal level of sporadic coughing, etc are not corona symptoms

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is a sinus thing mixed with alcohol withdrawal because last night was the first night I didn't heavily binge drink in at least a month

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Midjack posted:

Hawaii doesn't have "allergy season," it is always humid and warm and the flowers are constantly blooming. If anything it is mold/dust because we've gotten really bad at cleaning. It certainly *feels* like allergies, like I'm sneezing a lot, but I don't know what changed.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if my job could be distilled down to jira tickets then they wouldn't have to pay me so much to do it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

"agile" / jira is make-work for middle managers, op

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
haven't had a drink in over a month. a little bit relieved that, "i could abstain if i wanted and it wouldn't affect me," was true. haven't ordered in or gotten takeout and cooked for two every meal of march and feel like i can keep it up has me pretty positive. we're saving do much money in restaurants lol.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

in other news i'm down three pounds since this has started so :toot:

turns out eating reasonably portioned home cooked meals and not going out to the bars is good for you?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

we're saving do much money in restaurants lol.

what do you care aren't you like a l7 at google making 700k a year

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii doesn't have "allergy season," it is always humid and warm and the flowers are constantly blooming. If anything it is mold/dust because we've gotten really bad at cleaning. It certainly *feels* like allergies, like I'm sneezing a lot, but I don't know what changed.

if you're spending more time in your house then you're getting more exposure to whatever's in it so yeah, mold or dust are also likely suspects.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what do you care aren't you like a l7 at google making 700k a year

sving money, is good, if you can, imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've probably been gaining weight tbh since partner has been cooking a lot

and also cooking at like 8pm after i already ate something and then feel obligated to eat more

but i set up the bike trainer and have been using it the last few days so maybe that balances things out a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Midjack posted:

if you're spending more time in your house then you're getting more exposure to whatever's in it so yeah, mold or dust are also likely suspects.

I also just got around to cutting down my "front yard" on Saturday, which is basically just 7 foot high parasol trees and dead banana trees and a bunch of other jungle junk that was slowly eating my house, so it is probably the revenge of those plants.