Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he wrote alot of 2(good and bad) and all of the presequel(mostly all bad)

you have this backwards. he was lead writer for 2 and consulted on the pre-sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal both have an issue with the reverse difficulty curve where the opening missions are absolutely brutal due to having a low ammo count and an incomplete arsenal. They both hit their stride around the fourth level when you've gotten a good spread of guns and upgrades and that's when the games get extremely loving fun. Kadingir Sanctum and ARC Complex are the midpoints for both games and they're both the absolute best levels because you hit that sweet spot where you have enough tools to fight effectively but you're not maxed out so the fights aren't trivialized yet.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Speaking as perhaps the only borderlands fan here on this thread: Why the hell would you give the BL movie to Eli loving Roth??? The series is actually pretty progressive (lots of lgbt characters and the main bad guys are corporations) and Eli Roth is a total chud...

You know who they should get to direct the Borderlands movie?
James Gunn! Think about it. The Borderlands movie should just be a hard R Guardians of the Galaxy movie. That could work I think.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking as perhaps the only borderlands fan here on this thread: Why the hell would you give the BL movie to Eli loving Roth??? The series is actually pretty progressive (lots of lgbt characters and the main bad guys are corporations) and Eli Roth is a total chud...

James Gunn! Think about it. The Borderlands movie should just be a hard R Guardians of the Galaxy movie. That could work I think.

both judge tesla and i are quite into borderlands

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Eli Roth is an edgy and incredibly stupid piece of poo poo who thinks he's way smarter and way funnier than he actually is so he's actually pretty perfect for directing borderlands

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Anthony Burch's wife had the same name as his sister and you know for some guys that would be off-putting

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Borderlands' humor kinda works for me. It has a manic Looney Tunes energy to it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

borderlands is one of those franchises for which the appeal has always been just so goddamn lost on me, i think gears of war is the only series whose appeal i understand less

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
They should base it on Tales from the Borderlands instead of the main games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SimonChris posted:

Tales shows you don't need to tweak Borderlands too much to make it really sing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. that and him being a weird cringy "woke" clown on twitter too. that and alot of the gross sex allegations that never went anywhere(he apparently casting couched a bunch at gear box and possibly at riot)

According to the rumor and innuendo, #MeToo was the reason Burch nuked his Twitter (the first time).

SimonChris posted:

It always made me sad that the series that I thought actually used TellTale's formula the best and generally felt like the best written overall was also the worst selling of their licensed stuff.

Are there some good videos out there detailing TellTale's fall?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal both have an issue with the reverse difficulty curve where the opening missions are absolutely brutal due to having a low ammo count and an incomplete arsenal. They both hit their stride around the fourth level when you've gotten a good spread of guns and upgrades and that's when the games get extremely loving fun. Kadingir Sanctum and ARC Complex are the midpoints for both games and they're both the absolute best levels because you hit that sweet spot where you have enough tools to fight effectively but you're not maxed out so the fights aren't trivialized yet.

Doom 2016 didn't have Marauders, though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Marauders aren't exactly difficult, they're just not much fun to fight.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember when Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones we’re both coming out from Telltale and at least people around me thought the first would be bad and the second would be good, and it turned out to be the complete opposite

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jamie Faith posted:

Should have given to the guy that makes those Japanese low budget b-movies like Robogeisha and Machine Girl.

Dias posted:

Doom Eternal is Devil May Cry as an FPS.

As someone who's played both DE and DMC5 back to back, this is an apt description.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

A leaked trailer for a season 1 remaster apparently also teases a second season.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Civvie's DOOM Eternal video just dropped, get it while it's hot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQlaeLopGE4

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

i like borderlands and some of the lore, its mostly weird gameplay issues and parts of the writing that i eyeroll at, plus i just find gearbox kind gross.

bobjr posted:

I remember when Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones we’re both coming out from Telltale and at least people around me thought the first would be bad and the second would be good, and it turned out to be the complete opposite

yeah. the game of thrones one suffers because its end of season 3 and through 4 (and released before 5) and like half the characters you interact with have plot armor. like when loving ramsay shows up, you know your not gonna be able to do poo poo. but yeah, tales of borderlands was good poo poo.

grittyreboot posted:

Borderlands' humor kinda works for me. It has a manic Looney Tunes energy to it.

3 seems to have a better sense of humor. like yeah the villians are twitch dipshits but that kinda works in universe, i could see half of pandora and the galaxy following two shithead siblings in corpo backing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

According to the rumor and innuendo, #MeToo was the reason Burch nuked his Twitter (the first time).

yeah. apperently he "left" riot because of that too. i do kinda suspect he is a sexpest and i am pretty sure he got quietly black balled for reasons, since he mostly sticks to comics and poo poo now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

borderlands is one of those franchises for which the appeal has always been just so goddamn lost on me, i think gears of war is the only series whose appeal i understand less

yeah. i burned out of gears with 4(5 was ok but it was passed the point of caring) when the basicaly retconned everything and than retconned everything again. microsoft seems to have a really mixed bag with IPs because halo suffers in the same way. like sony can take "angry shithead giant man who fucks and kills" and turn him into interesting father and son story about a emotionally distant father who is mentally scarred and afraid of repeating his mistakes and passing them onto his son.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. apperently he "left" riot because of that too. i do kinda suspect he is a sexpest and i am pretty sure he got quietly black balled for reasons, since he mostly sticks to comics and poo poo now.

i mean riot is infamous for defending sex pests so i would take that with a pinch of salt

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Just watch a couple of people chainsawing locust in half and gibbing people with the shotgun, that's about 90% of the appeal.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

watho posted:

i mean riot is infamous for defending sex pests so i would take that with a pinch of salt

well allegedly he was fired soon after the poo poo leaked about how bad it was. so wouldnt shock me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

Just watch a couple of people chainswaing locust in half and gibbing people with the shotgun, that's about 90% of the appeal.

i also like the art design.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim talks about negativity.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm gonna solve the BotW weapon durability thing right now and blow all your minds.

You know how you got the big cool legendary weapons of the other types from the divine beast stuff, except those snapped in half like pieces of poo poo too, then you had to repair them with a diamond and something else that made using all of those just another chore too? Those should've been unbreakable flat out, but not have the highest possible damage or something, so you'd always have a fallback of X and Y weapon type if you wanted to play with it, without having to keep the dumbass durability in mind, at the tradeoff of maybe not being hyper super optimal in a Zelda game.

Durability is an alright mechanic in some games, BotW just was not one of those games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also people who only ever play sneak crit sniper in bethesda games are boring cowards of the highest degree.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Also people who only ever play sneak crit sniper in bethesda games are boring cowards of the highest degree.

It's not about boring, it's that the gameplay for a sneak crit sniper is somewhat less poo poo than the others

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But how about you just abuse the broken magic system to become a god?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I actually like stealth combat more in Bethesda than most other games because the NPCs in Bethesda games are.... wait for it.... surprised.

They don't expect you and when you start sniping them they panic and have trouble finding you.

Other dedicated stealth games will have mechanics to balance the stealth so the game becomes challenging as a stealthy character. So for example after a few moments of sniping all of a sudden all the mobs know where you are.

In Bethesda games you actually feel like a sneaky fucker because you sneak and assassinate your way around the challenges built for more head on approaches. Everything from straight up sniping to sneaking up on bosses and planting nuclear charges in their path to obliterate them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Katt posted:

I actually like stealth combat more in Bethesda than most other games because the NPCs in Bethesda games are.... wait for it.... surprised.

They don't expect you and when you start sniping them they panic and have trouble finding you.

Other dedicated stealth games will have mechanics to balance the stealth so the game becomes challenging as a stealthy character. So for example after a few moments of sniping all of a sudden all the mobs know where you are.

In Bethesda games you actually feel like a sneaky fucker because you sneak and assassinate your way around the challenges built for more head on approaches. Everything from straight up sniping to sneaking up on bosses and planting nuclear charges in their path to obliterate them.

that's an interesting spin to put on "the ai is dumb as a box of rocks and incredibly easy to abuse with stealth mechanics"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also I skipped some pages to write those last two posts but Borderlands is better than a lot of people want to give it, also enough of a fan here outside of 2 being ugh at times. Burch sucked and I hated the hubbub over him because a lot of the time it wasn't about any of his actual bad deeds, it was chuds doing their hound someone for eternity shtick because essjayssssss, so it got to that point where I wouldn't defend him, but would pretty much respond to anything about him with "Go away/Shut up/I don't care" because I came to assume every mention of him for a while would be that type, which it mainly was though. But either way Borderlands 3 has been quite a bit of fun, not even gonna put the caveat everyone else does of "BUT GOD THE STORY HARGRHG" because honestly it's not even been that big a deal to me, Borderlands story has flaws isn't breaking news and the overall humor's landed a lot better than usual plus cooler and neater guns and classes/characters so I'm good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish I could find the Far Cry 2 video of someone putting an IED next to a munitions cache then sneaking back out of the base and setting it off some distance away just for all the guards to immediately ignore it and beeline straight to the player. They "just so happened" to investigate 500 feet from the base!

Sadly all results for far cry 2 are the healing and jamming animations. Which are impressive but there doesn't need to be 10 different videos of them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

If you want to play a sneaky sniper and enjoy enemies panic and messy fighting back and stuff, play the Sniper Elite games, those are the actual good and cool sniper games.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alaois posted:

that's an interesting spin to put on "the ai is dumb as a box of rocks and incredibly easy to abuse with stealth mechanics"

Dumb AI can very easily counter stealth mechanics and does in a ton of games but just knowing where you are instantly when you make a noise or trigger an alarm.

In Fallout 4 the AI can get your general directions and will randomly fire towards you without having spotted you simply because they don't know exactly where you are.

Making stealth in a fallout game less powerful would be incredibly trivial to do but would that make the game more fun?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

If you want to play a sneaky sniper and enjoy enemies panic and messy fighting back and stuff, play the Sniper Elite games, those are the actual good and cool sniper games.

Sniper Elite 4 is incredible and actually has good stealth mechanics where the enemies try to figure out where they are without being clueless idiots.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

Sniper Elite 4 is incredible and actually has good stealth mechanics where the enemies try to figure out where they are without being clueless idiots.

I've always liked how much the games have improved as they've gone, feels like they actually want to make a more and more refined snipey game each time instead of coasting.

That and it's always fun to mark out at crazy multi nazi killing slow-mo x-ray shots.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alaois posted:

I mean yeah it's not like it's any fun fighting them fair and square so you might as well abuse the broken ai to turn the game into a slapstick comedy

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Also I skipped some pages to write those last two posts but Borderlands is better than a lot of people want to give it, also enough of a fan here outside of 2 being ugh at times. Burch sucked and I hated the hubbub over him because a lot of the time it wasn't about any of his actual bad deeds, it was chuds doing their hound someone for eternity shtick because essjayssssss, so it got to that point where I wouldn't defend him, but would pretty much respond to anything about him with "Go away/Shut up/I don't care" because I came to assume every mention of him for a while would be that type, which it mainly was though. But either way Borderlands 3 has been quite a bit of fun, not even gonna put the caveat everyone else does of "BUT GOD THE STORY HARGRHG" because honestly it's not even been that big a deal to me, Borderlands story has flaws isn't breaking news and the overall humor's landed a lot better than usual plus cooler and neater guns and classes/characters so I'm good.

pretty much agree wholeheartedly with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The worst thing Burch did was use grindr and then whine about how 'men only want sex' and 'i now know how ladies feel' like gently caress off you piece of poo poo lol