Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh my god I'm getting my rear end handed to me. I just want to explore the new map as a wandering arabic trader, why?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

So is this gonna be a huge thing for years, or, die off like Mordhau?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to get your dude to wave his sword around and go yaaaaaargh? I just beat the raider chief or whatever in the tutorial and all of my guys are super stoked and I feel like a jackass standing there without yelling about how we just kicked that guy's rear end.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pierson posted:

The combat feels way more brutal than Warband. Some of that is definitely the new blocking system but the AI feels really aggressive. Does anyone have any tips?

uh what new blocking system? it seems like it's exactly the same 4 way directional block from the previous game. what am I missing?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Alright, this is a question I've always wondered but I've been too embarrassed to ask

Is M&B a good time if you don't care about multiplayer at all?

Whenever I try to google this question or suss it out for myself from these topics I can never quite tell, especially with all the comparisons to Mordhau and Chivalry

Fake Edit: a lot of answers I've seen are "it's a good sandbox, but better with friends" with is what people say about basically every sandbox game with multiplayer lol

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Yeah, M&B is fine enough singleplayer. I've never even touched multiplayer and I have fun.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This loving game (which is good) but as I was saying, this loving game made me think my CPU, GPU or both were dying in agony as I kept hearing this loud rattling sound coming from my PC whenever I got hit.

Turns out it's my Xbox controller vibrating? Thought there was no controller support yet?

Anyway, game good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

WarpDogs posted:

Alright, this is a question I've always wondered but I've been too embarrassed to ask

Whenever I try to google this question or suss it out for myself from these topics I can never quite tell, especially with all the comparisons to Mordhau and Chivalry

Fake Edit: a lot of answers I've seen are "it's a good sandbox, but better with friends" with is what people say about basically every sandbox game with multiplayer lol

Only a very small percentage of the M&B playerbase plays multiplayer.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Has anyone done a 'drive the herd' mission? I see the sheep on the world map but can't interact with them.

mine just appeared in my inventory, at least with a herd of horses

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Davincie posted:

mine just appeared in my inventory, at least with a herd of horses

Same here. The animals you see around villages are just decorative

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

SERPUS posted:

I'm ready for Bannerlord cRPG, but without the retarded admins.

I cant wait to set my alarm clock at 5am on a sunday to defend a castle

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Also, how do you crouch lance on horseback? X is not working, am I missing something?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Gonna start a game of this and be entirely thematic/not try to minmax. Sure this will cause no problems whatsoever.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The original devs for cRPG won't be doing it I assume but man I want a new cRPG

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Has anyone found a way to turn off the hint arrow? It is driving me crazy?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WarpDogs posted:

"Better with friends" for Mount and Blade doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's not like Dying Light where you just play the single player campaign with your friends, singleplayer and multiplayer are completely different. In fact you even launch different clients depending on if you want single or multiplayer.

Singleplayer is you starting off as a poor flunkly of some no wheres'ville where you build up your little army and start to control territory and buy gear and land and poo poo. You fight in battles with your dudes and control them, ect. Battles can be small little 10 vs 10 all the way up to huge 250 vs 250 brawls.

Multiplayer is round based matches, not sandbox at all. There are three main modes. 1) 5v5 small fights where you control flags and kill each other 2) 6v6 where each control AI troops 3) 50 vs 50 siege castle battles

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Favourite small improvements so far:

- Herd animals just appearing in your inventory instead of the goddamn horrible herding mechanics.

- End of battle summary is nicer and you no longer have to wait for the cheering to stop

- The UI in general makes a lot more sense. Navigation is a lot easier and more intuitive.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

pmchem posted:

So is this gonna be a huge thing for years, or, die off like Mordhau?

Folks have been playing the poo poo out of Mount&Blade for 15 years. I think Bannerlord will have some staying power.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Has anyone found a way to turn off the hint arrow? It is driving me crazy?

Uncheck the "Show Attack Direction" box under gameplay in the options.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody tell me if I'm crazy.

Seems like you make more money selling goods by going into 1st person and selling them direct to the individual vendors in the towns than you do from selling them via the world map-level trade menu in each town. Is that right or do I just have self-isolation madness?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
It's kinda amazing that people didn't knew you could Tab out from any battle after winning without having to listen your half naked peasants yell.

I kinda liked post combat yell after a particularly gnarly battle but it literally says "Press Tab to Quit".

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

WarpDogs posted:

Singleplayer is the main attraction for most people I think (including me!). You can’t play that mode with friends at all. It’s almost totally different from multiplayer gameplay wise - multiplayer just pulls out only the battles from single player and makes them into a pvp arena.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I keep crashing after I click the done button on the loot screen (after a few fights where that didn't happen) - anyone else?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chopstix posted:

Also, how do you crouch lance on horseback? X is not working, am I missing something?

Unless something changed, in OG Mount & Blade the couched lance thing happens automatically when you get up to a certain speed on horseback. Without pressing anything the lance will eventually lower and then you just run into whoever you want to murder. It's a lot of fun to pull off successfully!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

explosivo posted:

Unless something changed, in OG Mount & Blade the couched lance thing happens automatically when you get up to a certain speed on horseback. Without pressing anything the lance will eventually lower and then you just run into whoever you want to murder. It's a lot of fun to pull off successfully!

You have to push X while running fast enough. And FURTHERMORE it only works on lances that have the COUCHED property. Not every lance has this property for mysterious reasons

I figured this out through about 30 minutes of trial and error.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Favourite small improvements so far:

- Herd animals just appearing in your inventory instead of the goddamn horrible herding mechanics.

- End of battle summary is nicer and you no longer have to wait for the cheering to stop

- The UI in general makes a lot more sense. Navigation is a lot easier and more intuitive.

Also, ransoming prisoners in any town. My god did they need that.

Gobblecoque posted:

Uncheck the "Show Attack Direction" box under gameplay in the options.

A thousand thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
drat, didn't even looking my inventory for the sheep.

Playing this game with a controller is pretty good! It's a hard game even with keyboard and mouse, harder with a controller, but I am very comfy on my couch. I use a Steam controller with the Steam And Controller: Butterlord setup.

The horses are a fantastic improvement. I love how as you get higher level the horse starts bending around the knee and doing sliding stops. The gait sounds a bit quick, but it's forgivable. Very good horse. Now if only I could name them...

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 30, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, I have no idea which faction to play, they all seem kind of appealing...

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

canepazzo posted:

I keep crashing after I click the done button on the loot screen (after a few fights where tha t didn't happen) - anyone else?

I pretty much crash from doing anything from saving to exiting tutorial to entering menu. I managed to get into 1 battle over a couple hours of attempts

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I recruit a companion? That's the last item I have to do on the opening quest to rebuild your clan.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

How do I recruit a companion? That's the last item I have to do on the opening quest to rebuild your clan.

go to a tavern and find a named npc

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I'm digging this so far but "haha the village where your questgiver lives got looted, and will remain looted for apparently like 10 years, so now you fail the quest!" sucks

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It seems like Bannerlord continues the old Mount&Blade tradition of paying almost nothing for being a mercenary. Apparently your payment is... 15 denars per party defeated lmao.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I have a weird bug where some zones are just impossible to load into, it'll get stuck on the loading screen indefinitely.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

It seems like Bannerlord continues the old Mount&Blade tradition of paying almost nothing for being a mercenary. Apparently your payment is... 15 denars per party defeated lmao.

I hope someone makes a freelancer mod. I always liked doing that in the early game.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Returned my copy. Going to wait for another heavy round of patching and likely fan mods to shore everything up. Continues the M&B tradition of squeezing out a great core framework for the community to do whatever with.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah, so after trying it out for a few hours I found that i'm getting my rear end kicked in, even on Very Easy. Still hyped, but I really gotta go back and make the best optimized character possible... and make sure to take less nasty fights. Not like the old days where you could just barrel into a Hideout with like 3 dudes with minimal consequences as long as you were well armored.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jossar posted:

Yeah, so after trying it out for a few hours I found that i'm getting my rear end kicked in, even on Very Easy. Still hyped, but I really gotta go back and make the best optimized character possible... and make sure to take less nasty fights. Not like the old days where you could just barrel into a Hideout with like 3 dudes with minimal consequences as long as you were well armored.

actually you still can

armor is the single most important thing in general. however there is no tin can button cuz it's to early for that

what are you doing that gets you dumpstered

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
They seem to be taking it in the direction that you're supposed to rely on your dudes, and are no longer able to just couch lance the entire enemy army from the back of your indestructible armored courser. Friendly ai is actually good now at least, especially companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

So I fenced some stolen goods and apparently my "Crime level" or somesuch has increased by 2 with the Southern Empire. Does anyone have any idea where I can actually view this, I feel like I've exhausted every menu.