Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Posting from the general streaming thread

Adam Curtis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not even joking; Crash Course: US History

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 8, 2020

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Untold History of the United States

Hypernormalization - just rewatched it in light of events in Iran and it gives a pretty long history about how we got to modern day

DoNoEat's Franklin series
DoNoEat's black wall street YouTube vid

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Maybe check out the 'American Experience' series. There's a bunch on Hulu, and a decent amount are free on PBS. Big grab bag of topics.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Galaxy Quest documentary "Never Surrender" is pretty great, I'd recommend it to a non-fan even. The sound mix is a bit off though, the music often drowns out peoples' voices to the point where I needed subtitles to watch it but even so, it's a fun watch, especially if you're a fan of the movie (and why wouldn't you be?)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Barudak posted:

Not even joking; Crash Course: US History

All of the Crash Courses are really good, underappreciated

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Pingiivi posted:

There's a really good minidocuseries released now on Netflix called: Don't gently caress with cats: Hunting an internet killer. It has a lot of twists and turns so I don't want to spoil anything if you don't know the case.

Basically a dude posts a terrible video on the internet and people try to find out who he is. Then the videos get crazier.

Started this with my wife yesterday. We both know nothing about the case or anything. First episode was pretty strong and more and more unsettling. We'll be watching this tonight again. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

cats
May 11, 2009

Acht posted:

Started this with my wife yesterday. We both know nothing about the case or anything. First episode was pretty strong and more and more unsettling. We'll be watching this tonight again. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

How graphic does it get? I'm familiar with the case, and I can handle listening to discussion about it, but I will forever regret hearing the (spoilers about stuff that happened after the cat videos, not sure if it was covered in the first episode) audio from the murder video. Still/blurred/cropped images would probably be okay, but if any of the original videos/audio are included I'm going to give this a hard pass.

I'm guessing if it's on Netflix they probably won't play anything too horrible, but I have absolutely zero desire to experience it again.

cats fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 13, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They don't show you the actual violence they'll show the lead up and focus on a corner of the video while one of the internet detectives describes it. They do show him playing with the dead kittens after he uses the vacuum seal to suffocate them though.

cats
May 11, 2009
Thanks, that should be fine. My boyfriend watches a ton of true crime stuff/lovely horror movies so I'm sure he'll stumble across this sooner or later. I like true crime for the most part, I just can't handle animal abuse or irl torture.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pianist On Strike posted:

Thanks, that should be fine. My boyfriend watches a ton of true crime stuff/lovely horror movies so I'm sure he'll stumble across this sooner or later. I like true crime for the most part, I just can't handle animal abuse or irl torture.

It showed more of the animal stuff than I expected. You see stiff dead kittens being handled and moved around. And you see the start of the animal torture, just not the animal. Like when he puts the vacuum cleaner on the vacuum bags you can see what he’s doing, just can’t see the cats.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone know of a good long form video on the Yuba County 5? I can't get enough of this story.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Pianist On Strike posted:

How graphic does it get? I'm familiar with the case, and I can handle listening to discussion about it, but I will forever regret hearing the (spoilers about stuff that happened after the cat videos, not sure if it was covered in the first episode) audio from the murder video. Still/blurred/cropped images would probably be okay, but if any of the original videos/audio are included I'm going to give this a hard pass.

I'm guessing if it's on Netflix they probably won't play anything too horrible, but I have absolutely zero desire to experience it again.

I've seen episode two now and JFC. It's also becoming more and more conflicting.
Episode 2 and the blurred images of him non-stop stabbing the guy with an ice pick and playing with the decapitated head in a bathtub are going to haunt me.

I'm going to finish it before giving an opinion. I'm still divided, somewhat.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just finished DFWC and I liked it overall but the criticism from last page about it relying so heavily on the internet detectives is spot on. They make for a good intro to the whole story, but their smugness about how the police "just didn't listen" is obnoxious given how slight the evidence they dredged up was.

It was odd revisiting the whole case because I remember first reading about the murder and initial investigation on these forums back in the day, but I'd long forgotten about the case itself and didn't follow up on any of the background info that subsequently emerged. I never watched the murder video -- which somebody actually posted in the original GBS thread -- itself, but reading back about the case now I'm surprised the documentary never reveals the full extent of it -- the Quebec forensic investigator mentions that the video got worse after the puppy killing, but I didn't realize he filmed himself fully dismembering and then having sex with the corpse as well.

As an aside, I didn't believe that any of the Manny Gomez stuff was real from the beginning given his pathological fantabulism, but the reveal of the Basic Instict connection at the end was well done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Aaron Hernandez documentary was pretty good, they spent a good amount of time on the victim and his friends. Was surprised the Boston Globe reporter assigned to the case when he was first arrested had no idea who he was (at the time he was probably the third most popular player on the team).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I read a really long article about this a few years ago and I’m so happy HBO is putting out a multi-part documentary about it.

Did you know that all through the 90’s, the McDonalds Monopoly game was rigged?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK2ZGOsbeqo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s an amazing story, looking forward to this.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s an amazing story, looking forward to this.

Yeah I remember reading the story and thinking “why have I never heard of this???” But it is the kind of story that if you didn’t know it was true, it’s almost too whacky to believe.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Mahoning posted:

So I read a really long article about this a few years ago and I’m so happy HBO is putting out a multi-part documentary about it.

Did you know that all through the 90’s, the McDonalds Monopoly game was rigged?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK2ZGOsbeqo
Yes, and that the FBI got involved so I was excited like you too

It's out in February right, I just tried to watch it today lol before this post

In the meantime, everyone with Netflix watch American Factory - hol ee ee poo poo. It just keeps going. And the ending, I thought I knew how I'd feel but then the last 10 minutes show me something and it's like suddenly I'm seeing a happy ending.

Taking from a baby boomin white guy who owns his house and two horses and showing me a Chinese guy who missed his family and suffered now playing with his family in a decent apartment, livin the Chinese American dream. I dunno who to root for

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Here's a (or the?) long article about it:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-an-ex-cop-rigged-mcdonalds-monopoly-game-and-stole-millions?ref=scroll

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Is it worth seeing 63 Up if I missed Ups 7 through 56?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Is it worth seeing 63 Up if I missed Ups 7 through 56?

I'd say probably not unless you really wanted to see it or you're planning on watching all the others later. All of the movies spend some time showing previous footage from over the years, but I think you lose most of the impact of following these people their entire lives if you just jump in at the end. You'll see some chunks of when they were 7 and 14 and stuff, so you'll get the gist of who these people are but it's not really comparable to actually watching the previous movies. And some of the people come and go from one installment to the next, so you might be missing out on that.

When I watched them they were all freely available on youtube and netflix, not sure if that's still the case. All of the individual entries are good by themselves, but it's basically one really long movie that still hasn't been finished.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I watched the four episodes of the new Zodiac FX documentary and it was better than I expected, mostly because I was expecting something ludicrous and sensational only being vaguely familiar with the recent book it follows about this guy saying his dad was the Zodiac killer. I wouldn't take the doc as some kind of a comprehensive guide to the Zodiac (since it leaves out some big details) but instead more of a look into the guy himself. Just go in holding big brick of salt, which I did and found it fairly interesting and enjoyable.

E: Forgot to name the doc, it's The Most Dangerous Animal of All.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 8, 2020

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Watched this with my boomer parents and we all loved it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8884430/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

"Echo in the Canyon"

This doc argues that the Laurel Canyon area of Los Angeles was a creative hotbed for folk artists like The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Mommas and the Papas and Buffalo Springfield during the years from 1965-1967.

Unique insights and interviews with all of these musical prodigies, good music, and beautiful hd drone shots of the one-of-a-kind canyon. Benefits from a good HD tv and sound system.

Main protagonist is Jakob Dylan, Bob's son. He teams up with Fiona Apple, Beck, Nora Jones et al to rehash some of the classics. These segments get a little slow at times.

Pretty good, streaming on Netflix US

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

IDFA: International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam offering hundreds of documentaries for free streaming.

I watched Ukrainian Sheriffs last night and it was excellent.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Crip Camp on Netflix is drat well worth a watch. Holy poo poo I knew jack all about the disability rights movement and I needed that kick in the rear end to get educated.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I guess everyone's been watching Tiger King on Netflix? I got really into it and enjoyed the crazy twists and turns, but hoo boy I've been reading some spicy takes on the whole situation.

I've had multiple friends already tell me that they think that everyone, including Carole, is equally crazy and bad, and that they all just want to eliminate competition so they can have the best big cat zoo in the US. When I pointed out to them that she runs a non-profit rescue operation, which doesn't breed or sell cats and takes in abandoned animals, two of my friends said some variation of "yeah, of course she says that..." I think the documentary was really trying to spin a both-sides narrative that did a disservice to what she actually does, which is clean up the mess that people like Joe Exotic and Doc Antle create and profit from.

As for the whole husband disappearance, I think that it's more likely he orchestrated some kind of disappearance to Costa Rica to live with one of his girlfriends, based mainly on that one statement he made to his employee about pulling off a great trick.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
There is a lot of information online that Carole's organization rescues animals to put them in the same conditions.
https://www.bcrwatch.com/

That creepy cult guy, Doc, also funds anti-poaching and rescue movements, but isn't any better than Joe.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

No one in that story is good or cool, except maybe Mario.

Even the detective seems like he's got some wierd poo poo going on if you just look at the poo poo hanging on his walls during the interview. Carol literally opens her interview next to a tiger in a very small cage

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Don't forget that Doc's paying his people $100/week for seven 16 hour long days. That's 89c/hour. Carole is running hers off of dozens of interns enrolled in a 5-year program, during which nobody gets paid anything and she makes bank. They're all trash

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

lexxyth posted:

There is a lot of information online that Carole's organization rescues animals to put them in the same conditions.
https://www.bcrwatch.com/

Is there any source that isn't an obvious hit job by one of the guys from the documentary? Also, the pictures and anecdotes on that site either sound ambiguous or relatively harmless.

quote:

Carol literally opens her interview next to a tiger in a very small cage

Pretty sure that was a small extension containing a water bowl off of a much bigger cage, which is necessary to attract the animals and administer medicines and the like.

quote:

Don't forget that Doc's paying his people $100/week for seven 16 hour long days. That's 89c/hour. Carole is running hers off of dozens of interns enrolled in a 5-year program, during which nobody gets paid anything and she makes bank. They're all trash

Again, they don't make this clear in the documentary, but Big Cat Rescue is a non-profit charity -- unlike the other organizations, which are purely for-profit organizations. She doesn't breed or sell the animals, which (as is clear from the documentary) is the main source of money for the other operations. They need to charge people to be able to pay for the huge costs of feeding grown cats, most of which come to their park after being abandoned by owners who bought them as kittens from breeders like Joe and Doc. Her park isn't "making her bank."

I wasn't aware of this whole subculture before the documentary and I don't have a dog in this fight, but I was curious about some things and read up on basic facts after watching it and I think it doesn't make clear some of these fundamental differences between these different operations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
There is no excuse for Carol to not pay her employees, she’s a millionaire.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
And there’s zero reason Carol’s first husband would disappear to Costa Rica and leave Carol with all of his money and let her gently caress over his children.

Also laughing at the naiveté that non-profit means good or that non-profit means Carol doesn’t make any money off of it.

Goodwill is a nonprofit and their CEO made $700k+ last year.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

And there’s zero reason Carol’s first husband would disappear to Costa Rica and leave Carol with all of his money and let her gently caress over his children.

A) It was pretty clear from the documentary that he disowned his kids before he disappeared. B) He said to his employee that he was looking to pull something off that would be "one for the ages" (or whatever exactly that guy said he said to him). C) They said that he was known for hiding away money and assets, and that he was specifically moving stuff to Costa Rica. D) He would probably have been in for a long and nasty divorce battle if he stayed and divorced her.

I think it's perfectly plausible that he set up some red herrings, like the van at the airport, and made off with one of his girlfriends to live in relative comfort in Costa Rica.

quote:

Also laughing at the naiveté that non-profit means good or that non-profit means Carol doesn’t make any money off of it.

I don't think it makes her inherently good, but the bottom line is that operations like hers need to clean up the mess that operations like Joe's or Doc's make by breeding and selling big cats in the first place. I think she should pay her employees, and I'm not defending that aspect of her operation, but the line that everyone involved in the documentary is equally exploitative or whatever just isn't true.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Documentaries are not above manipulating their presentation of facts for entertainment. That said, Carole definitely murdered her husband with a tiger.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

doctorfrog posted:

Documentaries are not above manipulating their presentation of facts for entertainment. That said, Carole definitely murdered her husband with a tiger.

No she murdered him with a gun, she fed his dead body to the tiger.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
Tiger King (knowingly or not) misgenders and dead-names a trans man throughout, and everything with Joe's husbands stank of bi-erasure as well

I enjoyed it in spite of these things but it seemed pretty trashy (which kind of fits I guess)

There is plenty more of Joe Exotic in 'Louis Theroux: America's Most Dangerous Pets'. I haven't watched it in a long time but I remember it making me very upset & angry about animal trafficking/abuse!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

Tiger King (knowingly or not) misgenders and dead-names a trans man throughout, and everything with Joe's husbands stank of bi-erasure as well

I enjoyed it in spite of these things but it seemed pretty trashy (which kind of fits I guess)

There is plenty more of Joe Exotic in 'Louis Theroux: America's Most Dangerous Pets'. I haven't watched it in a long time but I remember it making me very upset & angry about animal trafficking/abuse!

Saff still goes by Kelci, how was he dead named?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Joe is the one paying $100/wk, not doc, I thought.

All of them are exploitative and they don't have to be. Mein is going hard to defend Carol for some reason. Carol is also profiting off of "cleaning up these other guys". She was buying and breeding cats to get her start and had selectively decided to "rescue" them now.

She wants to be seen as the good guy, and she ain't. She wants to cage big cats and now she has a convenient excuse to hide behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

KoRMaK posted:

Joe is the one paying $100/wk, not doc, I thought.

All of them are exploitative and they don't have to be. Mein is going hard to defend Carol for some reason. Carol is also profiting off of "cleaning up these other guys". She was buying and breeding cats to get her start and had selectively decided to "rescue" them now.

She wants to be seen as the good guy, and she ain't. She wants to cage big cats and now she has a convenient excuse to hide behind.

Someone calls her Mother Theresa at one point, which is pretty apropos considering what people think of Mother Theresa and what she actually did