Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i dialled in to my morning standup while out skiing today so im back on board with wfh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzSHcyXfNPw

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i was sent to work from home nearly two weeks ago. I called it but they couldn’t be bothered picking up the phone or something and luckily I have my computer touching skills handy so I just moved myself. this morning, almost a week after the lockdown, when nearly all the office is now working from home, the janitors send this:

IT is here to help you move to a working from home environment.

please let us know if you intended to move and we will come and arrange that

please do not take desktops or monitors as they are needed in the office (?!?!?!!!!) i took all of my monitors

you do not need two screens as your laptop has a screen - this will be your second monitor.

:cawg:

good one IT, only sent your coms out only two weeks too late. I’m sitting here enjoying my three screens

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I should have grabbed my screens :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Stereotype posted:

I should have grabbed my screens :(

same. i have a big laptop but it’s still not as good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

in other news i'm down three pounds since this has started so :toot:

turns out eating reasonably portioned home cooked meals and not going out to the bars is good for you?

not to brag and this is not a good thing, but uh

today's weigh in indicates -16 lb over the past 21 days

Not dealing well with corona hell, y'all.

Upside is that I was sooper fat before this because i can't stay away from the PBR so i'm getting slim and trim

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've definitely had a few days lately where i've found myself with less of an appetite

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I was only mildly fat before this but I started aiming for -30 lbs by summer around mid-january and I'm -15 lbs so far. once the weather turns nice consistently I can just walk for two or three hours after dinner and the pounds will just start fuckin flying off

e: also really helps that all the fast food joints around here are drive thru and delivery only now so I'm eating somewhat healthier

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

please do not take desktops or monitors as they are needed in the office (?!?!?!!!!) i took all of my monitors

They’re planning on firing people and know anything that goes out isn’t coming back.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal posted:

e: also really helps that all the fast food joints around here are drive thru and delivery only now so I'm eating somewhat healthier

I caught the slightest whiff of some KFC or Popeye's or something earlier today when I went outside and I legit almost went feral

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My body is melting back to its default state of painful weakness

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
are psychologists considered essential

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
since like three years ago they've been telling me they were going to migrate me from a desktop machine to a laptop

one year ago I got tired of the waiting and started asking directly when they were going to do it

a month or two ago they finally actually gave me a laptop

I left it at the office the last time I was in. I've been working from home on my personal desktop

*takes a drag, stares out across the ocean*

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

I caught the slightest whiff of some KFC or Popeye's or something earlier today when I went outside and I legit almost went feral

Yeah after a month of chicken breast, frozen vegetables, and lentils I'm starting to get weird cravings.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Popeye's delivers now. I just ordered some.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i ordered some bbq from a restaurant over the weekend and they had great deals like 25% off all food, and they would sell you their cocktails premixed in a quart or pint container and those were like 65% off, plus discounts on whole bottles, etc.

also judging by all these car commercials, car dealerships are currently like "no interest, no payments for 6 months, we will bring the car to you and suck your dick on delivery" so i guess if you want to buy things, now is a good time

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the start of all the COVID related commercials and marketing was expected but still unpleasant

lots of dancing around the issue. "in these uncertain times" etc

barf

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

welp. customer is terminating the project. my clock is now ticking

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
today i closed slack at 10 am and got day drunk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

welp. customer is terminating the project. my clock is now ticking

enjoy retirement, op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Scud Hansen posted:

YOSPOS gun touchers unite

:hfive:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

today i closed slack at 10 am and got day drunk

Nice!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
work sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i keep having panic thoughts about being some pharmacy that spreads corona and then i get told off and I have to kill myself because the shame and sadness will be unbearable

my brain has trouble imagining life beyond this. my brain just assumes I’ll be dead and can’t see past it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

i keep having panic thoughts about being some pharmacy that spreads corona and then i get told off and I have to kill myself because the shame and sadness will be unbearable

my brain has trouble imagining life beyond this. my brain just assumes I’ll be dead and can’t see past it

LIVE like there's nobody within six feet of you
LAUGH like there isn't a global pandemic
LOVE like none of your babies will know their grandparents

this world is so hosed up lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
all it took ALL IT TOOK was for us to build one basic, crude rear end, global travel infrastructure that let people zip between continents in 10-14 hours with no real screening and 29k DNA pairs in a tiny, compact package

this is not an indictment of the lack of screening, just the existence of the planes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
denvers air quality is at record highs and i have seen 5x more squirrels rooting through my dumpster and 3x more birds of prey riding thermals up above watching those squirrels

2020 is Nature's big year y'all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

all it took ALL IT TOOK was for us to build one basic, crude rear end, global travel infrastructure that let people zip between continents in 10-14 hours with no real screening and 29k DNA pairs in a tiny, compact package

this is not an indictment of the lack of screening, just the existence of the planes

isnt it rna

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

denvers air quality is at record highs and i have seen 5x more squirrels rooting through my dumpster and 3x more birds of prey riding thermals up above watching those squirrels

Somebody on my team lives in downtown denver and probably has coronavirus lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

echinopsis posted:

all you can do is your best and by the very fact that you seem to give a poo poo at all that puts you heads and shoulders above a lot of others. this too shall pass

shh he's on a roll

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah it actually is RNA but more ppl will ID more with the concept of DNA

lol humanity got rootkitted by a 14kb binary

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the viral demoscene is lit af

you've got stuff like porcine circovirus which is just three proteins and 1768 base pairs

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah it actually is RNA but more ppl will ID more with the concept of DNA

lol humanity got rootkitted by a 14kb binary

While the RNA is only 14k long each 'bit' actually has 4 values and then the folding of the protein adds an additional non-trivial number of permutations so "14kb" is a pretty big simplification

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

seagulls are looking pretty scruffy here these days and i imagine it's from no cafes/restaurants leaving out food for them to grab

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Stereotype posted:

While the RNA is only 14k long each 'bit' actually has 4 values and then the folding of the protein adds an additional non-trivial number of permutations so "14kb" is a pretty big simplification

still drat efficient for shutting down the world economy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the students in my "class" today was circulating a petition to have tuition and fees refunded. i kinda get it and kinda don't. on one hand i'm still teaching four days a week on zoom and doing my best to make sure the students hit their learning outcomes. the course structure has changed but the content hasn't, at least not massively. on the other hand, i know for a fact that some professors have essentially just given up and checked out, so if i had a couple of those classes hell yeah i'd be asking for my money back. idk. it's all a huge mess.

also they've announced a hiring freeze on the new professors we literally just sent our offer letters to as well. mega loving lomarf and what a kick in the nuts. we can supposedly still get the positions back by petitioning the university president but i'm really not thrilled

and according to the california government, we're still nearly a month away from the peak of this thing :jeb:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the tuition refund makes sense to a lot of people because they didnt pay tens of thousands of dollars and go into massive debt to do zoom classes. plus a bunch of classes basically cant meet, like any studio arts or science labs. plus a lot of people can’t really focus or learn at home, which is why they went to college.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Stereotype posted:

Popeye's delivers now. I just ordered some.

lol

can't stop capitalism

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

enjoy it while you can, I'm betting polis lifts our quarantine before the end of april

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
We've had a critical position we've needed filled for two years now and we finally got the req open and posted this February. Now all hiring is frozen and they're projecting at least a 20% shortfall this year which means I can kiss seeing it filled goodbye as they'll cut any thing they can to make numbers.

It's enough to finally make me look, except for the fact there's a global recession going on.