Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LethalGeek posted:

Oh good another thread infested by the broke brain.
Every church needs its Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yeah but what is that like to you? Peas? Grapes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Store-bought grapes don't really have any flavor either, so to you, is an avocado like a big oily grape?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I haven't been outside for a couple weeks and have been out of milk for a few days so I made a grocery run early in the afternoon. Grocery store was almost out of flour and still completely out of yeast, but otherwise better than when I was last in there. Still it was a very stressful experience, even with a store that wasn't super packed. I worked as a cook so I'm good at not touching my face, and I have a reasonable supply of sanitizing wipes from The Before Times but I still half convinced myself I was already dead just walking into the store. I live a block or two from Costco and driving by on the way home I noticed the parking lot was almost empty so I made an unplanned stop to see if I could get a pack of kleenex and refresh my reserve of chicken tendies.

The place was shopping heaven. The store is of course huge and was almost completely empty, maybe more employees than shoppers. They had 2 workers out front sanitizing carts for people. Every aisle in grocery had an end cap each with multiple pallets of Kirkland signature paper towels, I didn't look for TP since I got plenty. I couldn't find the Purdue Chicken Chunks I wanted so I got some Trident Ultimate Fish Sticks instead so I can keep my goon going on. I also got a box of those madras lentils some one mentioned a few days ago, I love the similar looking ones from Trader Joes but can never get them since I don't live anywhere near by one. I didn't scope out the meat department but a quick peek in the walk-in showed pallets of eggs and milk, and the bread aisle was full. They had flour, rice, ect, but I forgot to look for yeast. I got my giant pack of Kleenex for allergy season and some goldfish crackers and popcorn too. Oh, a variety pack of kirkland flavored seltzer too.

Made me feel so much better about having to shop for food, I'm going to do all my infrequent shopping in Costco in the seemingly dead hours of the weekday afternoon. Praise be unto Costco.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 31, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I make wine out of avocados because they taste like grapes

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Grapes are grape soda flavored obv. I guess Avacados are like, creme soda flavored I guess.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Avacados more like idiot millennial spending their retirement on flavorless toasts am I right fellas

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
And what’s the deal with Lacroix?!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My parents who would likely just go and get infected at 'co have texted me no less than three times how nice it is Costco will deliver THEM that giant pallet of tp from a truck.

Do they deliver the dogs though??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dely Apple posted:

My parents who would likely just go and get infected at 'co have texted me no less than three times how nice it is Costco will deliver THEM that giant pallet of tp from a truck.

Do they deliver the dogs though??

Or coke products straight from the bottle

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alan Smithee posted:

And what’s the deal with Lacroix?!

Avacado.. Lacroix.. my god!!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Another weird thing that I don't get how people claim to have a flavor preference is bread, it's just like organic foam, it's a vehicle for stuff that does have flavor

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Trollin hard in corony 2020.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

of all places to troll, why did it have to be the costco thread :saddowns:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

this place is hallowed ground, you have no power here. begone!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Just lol if you don't have her on ignore already

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

To be fair though I have had avocados that don’t taste like much of anything. That is far from the norm though.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

number 1 snake fan posted:

Just lol if you don't have her on ignore already

I like pick. A pick thread is a good thread. PBUC.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Snowmankilla posted:

A pick thread is a good thread. PBUC.

:wrong:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Still not a single paper product at my local Costco. No TP, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, nothing. Downsides of living in suburban hell I guess

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Still not a single paper product at my local Costco. No TP, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, nothing. Downsides of living in suburban hell I guess

My glorious 30pack just shipped from costco.com and is estimated to arrive tomorrow.

The website is almost completely useless; when I placed the order last night, the search said it wasn't in stock, the product page said it wasn't in stock, but the lists feature said it was. I added it to the cart from the lists page and checked out successfully.

YMMV though because I tried the same thing a couple days back and the order was canceled.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FogHelmut posted:

These are very wasteful guidelines with worst case scenario in mind. Two weeks is very possible for a lot of things, just pay attention to any off colors or odors.

Food can be bad way before it shows discoloration or smells bad. I’m the first dude to say gently caress it and eat cold pizza left on the kitchen counter over night but I’m also not going to pretend that a smell test is enough to go by.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Food can be bad way before it shows discoloration or smells bad. I’m the first dude to say gently caress it and eat cold pizza left on the kitchen counter over night but I’m also not going to pretend that a smell test is enough to go by.

you get that paper

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Howdy neighbor!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Infidel Castro posted:

Howdy folks, just got my auto insurance renewal for my policy that I bought through Costco.

$219 for the whole loving 6-months.

Now I live in Wisconsin where insurance is cheap as poo poo, but still. It was so low I finally pulled the trigger on lowering my deductible to $250 and it only went up to $247 for the term.

Costco Insurance is great, PBUC.

Just checked again, my coverage for two cars in AZ would be $30 more than what I pay for Progressive. No dice, Costco!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress that is amazing.

I'm in CA and I pay $117 a month for my drat Honda.

I'm in CA and paying what breaks down to about $133/month for full coverage on a SUV and a pickup truck together. $500/yr registration fee for each vehicle from the DMV can kiss my rear end though.

Forgot about the Costco insurance, will have to check it out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Another weird thing that I don't get how people claim to have a flavor preference is bread, it's just like organic foam, it's a vehicle for stuff that does have flavor

pls stop making me angry

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Quarantine cleaning means that I've finally cleared out a closet to become a pantry and have space for a chest freezer - things we had planned for before The Troubles began. Of course, now you can't get a chest freezer anywhere for love or money. I found one on CraigsList that is 3.5 cu ft and at first I was worried that would be too small, until I read this review:

quote:

This 3.5 chest freezer holds 14 corned beef briskets, a whole ham (cut into dinner portions of course) two steaks, 6 lbs. of ground beef, 2 pork loin roasts, an included basket which holds a lot, and a 4 quart lidded bin of smaller items.

Does the 'Co carry 14-packs of briskets? :D I've already named my Freezer-to-Be as the Costco Box.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EVG posted:

Quarantine cleaning means that I've finally cleared out a closet to become a pantry and have space for a chest freezer - things we had planned for before The Troubles began. Of course, now you can't get a chest freezer anywhere for love or money. I found one on CraigsList that is 3.5 cu ft and at first I was worried that would be too small, until I read this review:

Does the 'Co carry 14-packs of briskets? :D I've already named my Freezer-to-Be as the Costco Box.

The problem with a chest freezer is almost any part of the country has seasonal blackouts from something so you need a generator to protect your thousands of dollars of meat

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EVG posted:

to really make you eat your heart out - Costco was clearing out their old model of chest freezer over the winter for $99 (normally $160, on sale for $130). The new model is all-weather capable though so you don't have to worry about running it below freezing.

My freezer is half full of film and I was thinking about getting a completely separate one just for the film, but money was tight at the time, unfortunately.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

shovelbum posted:

The problem with a chest freezer is almost any part of the country has seasonal blackouts from something so you need a generator to protect your thousands of dollars of meat

This is only going to be a problem if it's an extended blackout, which is pretty uncommon anywhere that isn't prone to hurricanes. Those chest freezers can take days to defrost, if you leave it closed it will be fine for the sort of interruptions to power that most people experience.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Meat in a freezer is ice-cold, and the things are insulated by their very nature. If you lose power, your freezer turns into a ice cooler until power comes back on, and I've kept meat in a ice chest for over a week safely multiple times while camping

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Paul MaudDib posted:

to really make you eat your heart out - Costco was clearing out their old model of chest freezer over the winter for $99 (normally $160, on sale for $130). The new model is all-weather capable though so you don't have to worry about running it below freezing.

My freezer is half full of film and I was thinking about getting a completely separate one just for the film, but money was tight at the time, unfortunately.

Laaaaaaaaaaaame! Super jealous.

I never thought about storing film in a freezer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

shovelbum posted:

Or keep it very full and the mass of frozen meats will survive in the insulated box. It won't last a week but a day won't be an issue.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EVG posted:

Laaaaaaaaaaaame! Super jealous.

I never thought about storing film in a freezer.

Yeah it has a maybe 3-5 year shelf life under normal-ish storage conditions but will keep indefinitely if frozen. You can score some good deals if you catch other people cleaning out their freezers and it significantly reduces the cost of shooting film.

That matters especially since film has jumped to $7+ a roll and even as high as $10 a roll for slide film. I basically paid about a third of that on average for my stockpile.

Over in The Dorkroom we’ve been musing over what’s going to happen to film production and processing with the quarantine. Nothing good, I imagine - the bigger labs will be OK but there were a lot of small labs that were already kind of on the edge that probably won’t re-open. And who knows what happens with the film production itself.

Fortunately things have really stabilized from where they were 10 years ago. Kodak “right-sized” its capacity in the naughties and is actually developing new stuff and re-introducing some discontinued stuff. Ilford re-organized and got out of bankruptcy, they’re generally right-sized at this point too. Fuji remains incompetent in general but is showing signs of moving in the right direction. Generally the market has been buoyed by a huge resurgence in Hollywood films shot on real film, they shoot much bigger volumes than amateurs, and that will probably continue at some point here. The big guys will survive, it’s the little independent labs in random cities that are going to have a tough time.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

priznat posted:

Usually when i get them out of the freezer I will toss them in the microwave to warm (10-15sec) but I find they are a bit on the hard/stale side after freezing. Toasting them into pita chips works though!

Any suggestions on keeping pitas fresher longer would be great.

Stop microwaving frozen pita and they'll stop being awful. Let them un-thaw naturally.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Or make your own. The flour tortillas from this recipe explode into a ball, and can be stuffed with all kinds of things like a pita.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/taco-nortenos-with-bacon-fat-flour-tortillas

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Stop microwaving frozen pita and they'll stop being awful. Let them un-thaw naturally.

I like em warmed up though!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

priznat posted:

I like em warmed up though!

Toaster oven. You wouldn't reheat pizza in a microwave, would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Toaster oven. You wouldn't reheat pizza in a microwave, would you?

Usually I do that after they get stale to get em crispy.. I want em nice and warm and soft for hummus dippin'