Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Taerkar posted:

I know it's really not any different from an autopilot but I rather enjoy being chauffered around by a hired pilot, allowing me to do base management work without worrying (too much) about flying about.

I've spent a grand total of five minutes actually piloting in my main save, all the rest of the time is me being flown around like some filthy space 1%er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darkhold posted:

Missed the illegal goods discussion but if anyone's curious here's what a saturated market looks like without me doing manual trades:

So several stations selling for an hour make about 400-500k. For biological goods I'd say they're about the best. Medical supplies comes close which lands in the high 300k range. Tech goods crush bio goods though so if you are looking for profit that's the way to go.

Obviously this also is highly affected by placement this just happens to be a universe where I have stations pretty much every two sectors.

Huh that... seems to have changed since I tried it, glad to know it's a lot more viable than I thought!

I'm probably not getting the expansion tomorrow cos I bought bannerlord instead, so if any of you want to post how it goes please do.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The main thing I want to know is how many sectors are getting added. I think 3.0 adds a few on its own, and SV adds a "ton" more?

GIVE US THE MAP

I preordered, so I'll trip-report as soon as I can.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm going to be bringing through a save from launch where the economy had stalled, and I ended up cheat script spawning in xenon fleets into multiple sectors to try and get things going. Then for some reason I stopped playing. Gonna be interesting.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Split should be live in 2 minutes as per Egosoft Twitter.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nice. I played a ton of X3, but had been holding off on really digging into X4 until it got a bit more mature. I think it may finally be time for me to give the game an honest shot. It also helps that I pretty much have all the time in the world at the moment.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
If you could post how big the expansion to the universe is that'd be great. Right now i'm stuck wondering if it's worth it to buy and that might be a deal breaker.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 31, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm still unsure. I played X4 at release a bit but really missed the Borons and their ships, so I stopped. I'll probably wait until Borons are in and then buy the other DLC on the cheap in a Steamsale.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also if the forums are to be believed the Xenon are fully capable of wiping out core sectors now. So economy woes of the over saturation type are probably a thing of the past. This was with the open beta so I assume it'll still hold true assuming the Split aren't forming a bulwark with the grimdark ships they have.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
gently caress I want to start a new save but mapping the galaxy with the broken explorer commands is soooooo boring, especially with the dumb infinite sized sectors. Anyone have a mod recommendation to help with that?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What does The Accomplished Scientist start do?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a7m2 posted:

Starts you with the HQ plot done, I think. Because you don't want to do it more than once :v:

Also new map, not sure if exhaustive:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1010436537652757298/79B7C1E06CF5B9E7D71CC8FD6FB2018B06CFBF5D/

Looks like maybe... twice the size of the original universe? Maybe a bit less. But much more snakey.

I count 34 new sectors there if you include the 3.0 empty ones?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 31, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Holy poo poo, that is WAY more than I expected.

a7m2 posted:

As OwlFancier said, the HQ mission is done, you have a 200-300k wad of starting cash, a nice (EDIT: \/ Yep, it's a Nodan) fighter I've never seen before, and a nice chunk of the map (generally, the highway loop and immediate neighbors) charted (but not really explored).

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 31, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's a Nodan that's actually been in since 1.0, you buy it from the ALI wharf.

But I think they added a new one in 3.0 too, the... Ares I think?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Wtf is with the Free Families start - it puts me in a ship and tells me to destroy a huge armada 50km away as my first objective which is impossible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't really enjoy my start or the game much when I beelined a frigate and realized I was already an unstoppable fleetkiller as long as I pivoted into the blindspots of destroyers, maybe I'll restart and try to sink my teeth into empire and fleet building with the HQ already unlocked. How does fleet construction work this time around? I know I can't do the same thing I used to in X3 where I'd jump a carrier in and launch 40 fighters with frigate support (though then again those fighters were using the PAR ships mod).

Also are there actual plots in 3.0 yet or is it just the HQ thing (which I'd already have done) without Split Vendetta?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I think the Split start missions are very long term. The other one tells you to claim 3 sectors. By the way does anyone know if you can get the PHQ mission with the Split starts?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I actually don't have The Accomplished Scientist as a start, I guess. Is that dlc only?

e: Oh I have to unlock it lol

Well since I'm stuck with my old run then, I'm on a teladi guild mission to save a freighter stuck in a minefield by "luring" them away or destroying them. My fighter has a lovely plasma gun that can't hit the mines, and the mines don't move. How do I deal with this? If I use my frigate it instantly dies. Can I disable the mines somehow or something? There's twenty of them lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 31, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can hit the mines it's just tricky because they're very very small, you have to sort of aim through them, or at long range, because the game models the path of your guns from the mount point which is slightly offset from your aim point (middle of the cockpit)

You can faintly tell where they are based on whether the little aiming pip moves, because that actually tracks with objects, so if you're going to impact the mine it jitters slightly.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh neat, pilot training for 1-star pilots (that is, to progress them toward 2 stars) is 180 credits and you can buy it from seemingly any of the "inventory stuff" vendors. Basic training to get pilots up to 1 star is cheaper still, and the player HQ seems to sell a few of both. Seminar training is instantaneous, just gotta hand it to the employee you want to train.

It takes more than one training to move them up, though - fortunately, as I said...cheap. You can get a newjack pilot to 2 stars in a visit, maybe two, to a trading post.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 31, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's good to know, my crew are all worthless failures apparently :v:

OwlFancier posted:

You can hit the mines it's just tricky because they're very very small, you have to sort of aim through them, or at long range, because the game models the path of your guns from the mount point which is slightly offset from your aim point (middle of the cockpit)

You can faintly tell where they are based on whether the little aiming pip moves, because that actually tracks with objects, so if you're going to impact the mine it jitters slightly.

Thanks, the shotgun on my frigate eventually did it lmao

gently caress mines

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 31, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh turrets can shoot mines now? That's nice.

E: bernd is playing the game on stream if you want to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGP1nhCIus

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 31, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, no , I mean my frigate has a shotgun as a main gun. I just sweeped it for a while.

Unfortunately though while I shot all the mines near the freighter, but there's one 60 km out. If you go to it, it despawns until you go back to the freighter. If you go back to the freighter, they don't reappear as targets.

I'm remembering why I stopped playing

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 31, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you mind? I'm in the starter ship with a pulse laser, and I shoot the nodes on silicon asteroids, but can't scoop them up when they pop off

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Phi230 posted:

How do you mind? I'm in the starter ship with a pulse laser, and I shoot the nodes on silicon asteroids, but can't scoop them up when they pop off

I believe - and I am talking out of my rear end here - that you need a ship with a cargo bay type for whatevercargo Ore is - I believe "Solid"? For baby ships, they have Container holds, so the money on "mining" in them is actually in shooting the little glowing crystal nodes you'll find on some rocks, then holding O to hoover up the broken-off bits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Odd bug, never seen mines do that, though I would generally suggest not bothering with mine clearance missions as they're kind of annoying, frankly I wouldn't suggest missions at all tbh, just blow stuff up or watch other people blow stuff up and pick up the loot.

Phi230 posted:

You need a mining ship. Normal ships can't carry ores. You can get tiny mining ships if you want but it's better to save up for a medium size one IMO. Also wouldn't recommend mining yourself in any case, not a great money maker, it's the kind of thing you tell the AI to do. If you want to do something mining related I'd suggest crystal mining which is more fun and profitable and you can do it in anything. Fly into an asteroid belt and look for crystals on asteroids, they sparkle from a distance very infrequently so park where you can see a lot of rocks and look for little flashes in the distance. They come in a lot of rarities and the rare ones can be really good money.

Frankly though the best money maker IMO is spaceflies, blown up ships have a chance to drop them and if you collect like 25 of them you can glue them together for a million credits.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok yeah I think I'm just going to do no missions ever; the other one I've got is to build a smartchip factory, except my character doesn't have plans for that, I don't know if any dock area works, and it doesn't matter because according to the game there is no such thing as a Builder to hire any more anyway.

gently caress it I'm going to rip and tear Xenons forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Station building missions actually can bring in decent cash but yeah ideally you would have your own builder ship to do it as quick as possible (though you can hire them, they're in high demand though so you might have to go across the universe to find one, satellite networks help here) and you also want to supply the components as cheap as possible too, so when you've got your own part factories set up.

The game's strength is easily in station building and automating poo poo, and blowing poo poo up/supplying other people who blow poo poo up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It just feels like there are a ton of mechanics here that don't need to be, with the rest being almost jankier than X3 still

I finally found a constructor (had to use SETA for a while, thanks satellites), so I have one dock going. Now I'm just going to wander until I find a smart chip blueprint and shoot things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You'll either have to scan a smart chip factory and get lucky or buy one off a faction representative for a lot of money.

Generally you're not supposed to take those unless you've got the capital/blueprints to build them already or you're going to buy the blueprint anyway. Smart chips do sell passably though so it's not a bad blueprint to have.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

You'll either have to scan a smart chip factory and get lucky or buy one off a faction representative for a lot of money.

Generally you're not supposed to take those unless you've got the capital/blueprints to build them already or you're going to buy the blueprint anyway. Smart chips do sell passably though so it's not a bad blueprint to have.

It was the first mission offered to me lmao. Well it's something to do at least.

Also I keep bouncing off highway lanes now, for some reason, you have to really shimmy in now

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok thanks for the mining advice. I did find Crystals, some of which are illegal, how do I sell them

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Thom12255 posted:

Wtf is with the Free Families start - it puts me in a ship and tells me to destroy a huge armada 50km away as my first objective which is impossible.

That's your end goal. I think the mission text even says to rebuild your strength first.

I think it's a bit for advanced players though, because drat there are a lot of hostiles around.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Ok thanks for the mining advice. I did find Crystals, some of which are illegal, how do I sell them

You sell them on-foot to Traders at any docking wharfs, there will be a teleporter location called "Trader's Corner" or somesuch (or a place with a shopping cart holorgram sign - should be easy to spot once you're landed). Sell 'em to whoever's behind the desk. There's a range of prices for each crystal, but for everything but the most expensive/white crystals it doesn't really matter and you should just offload 'em wherever you are.

For the illegal ones, those are unstable crystals, and are bomb-making components. You might? be able to sell them to any trader, but they're not worth much and can be dumped if you want. Pirate bases would buy them, but you'll need positive influence with them (I think - I know you do to sell them the splicer and hacking tools you pick up)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I first picked them up it said I could find black marketeers through missions

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh, right - I believe they turn up in Bars on stations that have them? Okay, so completing missions named "lucrative opportunity" will reveal bars and black markets. I wonder if the black marketers don't give a poo poo about your reputation to sell contraband like the station traders do...

I really like walking around the big docking bays, watching ships come and go, get built, etc. Riding the moving sidewalks, watching a corvette take off is still fun to me, even if walking around is mostly pointless.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 31, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Oh, right - I believe they turn up in Bars on stations that have them? Okay, so completing missions named "lucrative opportunity" will reveal bars and black markets. I wonder if the black marketers don't give a poo poo about your reputation to sell contraband like the station traders do...

I really like walking around the big docking bays, watching ships come and go, get built, etc. Riding the moving sidewalks, watching a corvette take off is still fun to me, even if walking around is mostly pointless.

I figure they're building up to boarding combat and combat on stations. They already have the barebones rudiments of being able to sneak into stations to sabotage them in. Ditto for capital ships. It's just that it's somewhat hidden and capital ship sabotage was removed after the first patch.

Adding in the ability to actually board things like stations and fight alongside marines (Or make marines actually relevant beyond a stat.) would be great.

It'd also explain those Teladi habitats. Which are basically full blown miniature ring worlds forests, cities, and such. There's no reason to have that much real estate in the game when it comes to stations unless you want to do something with it.

Though given that the game didn't necessarily make a good first impression maybe that's scrapped.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 31, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Archonex posted:

I figure they're building up to boarding combat and combat on stations. They already have the barebones rudiments of being able to sneak into stations to sabotage them in. Ditto for capital ships. It's just that it's somewhat hidden and capital ship sabotage was removed after the first patch.

Adding in the ability to actually board things like stations and fight alongside marines (Or make marines actually relevant beyond a stat.) would be great.

It'd also explain those Teladi habitats. Which are basically full blown miniature ring worlds forests, cities, and such. There's no reason to have that much real estate in the game when it comes to stations unless you want to do something with it.

Though given that the game didn't necessarily make a good first impression maybe that's scrapped.

This sounds like the path to star citizen though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they've ruled out on foot fighting and stuff, I genuinely think it's just about looking cool, and the teladi 360 docking pad does look very cool but the station itself is a carry over from rebirth, along with a lot of the teladi ships.

Mostly I wish there was like... a panoramic office module you could build that gave you a really good view of a station, and you could teleport to it to do management tasks or something, with computers you could set up to organize your empire, like a sort of 3d space version of the menus. I'd probably use that a lot and it really does look cool seeing all the traffic on your stations.

As the menus are mostly 3d objects in space anyway you could even do stuff like have a bunch of displays for cashflow for each station and stuff, or displays with map sections zoomed in so you can watch how stuff is going. Also maybe let you run SETA while inside the module too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly I wish there was like... a panoramic office module you could build that gave you a really good view of a station, and you could teleport to it to do management tasks or something, with computers you could set up to organize your empire, like a sort of 3d space version of the menus. I'd probably use that a lot and it really does look cool seeing all the traffic on your stations.

Stop reading my mind