Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/wizcliff77/status/1244285108347121664

Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
He's fills a need on next year's team as the #2 big. Let's be realistic though, he's a little raw, but he'll be a shot blocker and a rebounder right away. Look at how Myles progressed. Give Cliff a year in the system, and in 2021 he'll be really good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's fills a need on next year's team as the #2 big. Let's be realistic though, he's a little raw, but he'll be a shot blocker and a rebounder right away. Look at how Myles progressed. Give Cliff a year in the system, and in 2021 he'll be really good.

I'm more excited about what it means for recruiting that the best players in the state are staying home than what it means for the team near term. College basketball isn't about big men anyway.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 29, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Rutgers becoming a potential Big Ten contender is an unexpected positive interest story in 2020.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
But Pikiell doesn't really need elite recruits. He has a **** wing from Missouri committed for next year, but there aren't a ton of articles saying that he's going to have a local breakthrough.

It's also a mistake to think that they're going to dramatically improve linearly based on better players. Fred Hill and Eddie Jordan had way better recruits than Pikiell did. We don't know what those players would do with Pikiell, but clearly Pikiell is good with scouting and player development.

The main benefit with Omoruyi, who's not really a local, he just prepped here, is that it was a big positional need. Johnson is good though. Omoruyi is going to play like 15-20 min a game next year, they're just going to be much better minutes than what Shaq Carter gave us.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1244759695291813891

NCAA to seniors: gently caress off

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I mean they played an entire season

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

I mean they played an entire season

A season with no postseason is no entire season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

No matter what they do here, someone is getting hosed over.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If the postseason was called the second part of the season, I bet they would have let them play again. Unfortunately it's called the stuff after the season. I would happily sign a petition to rename it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

For many schools it is

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

kiimo posted:

Yeah it is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tarleton State who are apparently joining the WAC next year hired Billie Gillispie, if you want a "oh hey, I remember that coach" moment.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Grittybeard posted:

Tarleton State who are apparently joining the WAC next year hired Billie Gillispie, if you want a "oh hey, I remember that coach" moment.

I try not to

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I really thought he was going to be a pretty good coach after that A&M stint.

One of many things I have been wrong about in life.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

He should never have gone to Kentucky, what a terrible fit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I understand the instinct but giving an extra season to guys who basically played a full year never really made sense and was going to gently caress over the incoming class and create a lot of scholarship headaches. Would anyone be campaigning for them to grant medical waivers to someone who got hurt right before the tournament started?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 31, 2020

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Gillispie's failure at Kentucky directly led to Coach Cal, so hey.

But then again Mitch Barnhardt could have sacked up and hired Calipari in the first place and we wouldn't have had to have ever known the name Billy Gillispie.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wow, never heard of Tarleton State before. I guess they're getting their name out there. small colleges are getting slammed by the current situation financially, aren't they? I wonder if any of the 351ish d I teams will eventually drop out

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

oystertoadfish posted:

wow, never heard of Tarleton State before. I guess they're getting their name out there. small colleges are getting slammed by the current situation financially, aren't they? I wonder if any of the 351ish d I teams will eventually drop out

Non-flagship state universities (and some flagships, just look at Alaska’s system) are going to be a complete wasteland, the research ones will gear more towards teaching and the teaching ones will basically be professional schools. And a whole bunch of regional liberal arts schools will just cease operations entirely.

It’s been on the way for a variety of reasons but trustees and state pols aren’t going to let an opportunity this perfect pass them by.

Of course they’ll cling to sports for as long as possible, football teams and the fiction of amateurism are the only reason some schools (LSU) keep the academic buildings’ lights on.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Cartier Diarra transfers from KState to VT. Curious to see how he does as a CG for us, but a proper guard with a little offense was definitely a strong need for next season.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...%3fplatform=amp

quote:

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo and two assistant coaches contacted a witness in a 2017 investigation of criminal sexual conduct involving a basketball player before the witness had discussed the incident with police or school investigators, records newly obtained by ESPN show.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I ain't got much else to do tonight so I'll rewatch that special game from 30 years ago

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
That was great. For at least one moment my team was on top :unsmith:

Maybe in five years they'll get back to the tournament should it ever be held again

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Obi Toppin won the Naismith Award. I really would've loved to have seen that Dayton team push for a title, maybe they get knocked out in the second round by some mediocre power-conference school or something similarly crushing, who knows, but this seems like the year a Dayton could've broken through.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
garza got robbed

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

garza got robbed

He finished at the top of whatever algorithm Kenpom uses, very slightly ahead of Dotson, with Markus Howard and Toppin following.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
tbh I probably would have voted for Howard because he's less harmful defensively (mostly by virtue of position, not because he's any good at it) and a ridiculously efficient scorer despite like a 10% higher usage than even Garza but Garza had a better year than Toppin. He's just not a NBA prospect and on a worse team. Iowa had an insanely hard schedule and Garza was putting up his numbers playing the most stacked position in the best conference.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 4, 2020

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Garza had double digits in every game he played this year and I thought he was gonna be player of the year.

Oh wait, he had double digits in every game except one.

Heh.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

tbh I probably would have voted for Howard because he's less harmful defensively (mostly by virtue of position, not because he's any good at it) and a ridiculously efficient scorer despite like a 10% higher usage than even Garza but Garza had a better year than Toppin. He's just not a NBA prospect and on a worse team. Iowa had an insanely hard schedule and Garza was putting up his numbers playing the most stacked position in the best conference.

you see that Pemsl's transferring?

also, if you want a good game to watch:
https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/status/1246223030705164289?s=20
(yes, this is the last game at the Ol' Barn on Oakland Avenue. and yes, it's also the game that gave us the second-best Antler moment involving the Braggin' Rights game--they sent Kiwane Garris a UPS box filled with two bricks before the next year's game. the best moment, mind you, is when an Antler form-tackled Chief Illiniwek during halftime, because gently caress Chief Illiniwek.)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Troy Queef posted:

you see that Pemsl's transferring?

Yeah. Wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to by the staff. He graduated, they need the scholarship (though worst case I suppose they could take it from one of Fran's kids) and he's looked mostly cooked the last couple years. It's too bad, he was good as a freshman but he had an injury history coming into college and it only got worse. Could maybe be an okay pickup for someone like Drake, he's still a decent defensive player all things considered.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Forman/status/1247218081430228993?s=19

Did not see this coming, he is such an extremely Purdue player.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wow, that really sucks. Wonder what's going on.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky will be in need of a big man, especially if EJ Montgomery stays in the draft (he shouldn't but probably will). Cal's been all about the grad transfer centers the past couple of years.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enjoy the game everyone

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2020/04/06/march-madness-coronavirus-dayton-kansas-title-game/2953005001/

quote:

"Our greatest strength is that we're not just one guy," Toppin told USA TODAY Sports in March. "What makes us such a dangerous team is that we believe we could beat anybody in the country. We believe we can cut down the nets."

But as dominant as Kansas was this season, a national title could've come down to one or two baskets.

We had Kansas winning 66-65 on a last-second bucket.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Poque posted:

Wow, that really sucks. Wonder what's going on.

Tired of splitting time with Williams? It was going to be crowded up front with him, Williams, Duanna, and Edey all needed time at the five, but Duanna is still very much a project and apparently Edey is too. But yeah, this really sucks.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Dowuona and Edey are projects at best so this creates a hole for sure.
I'm surprised to hear about Haarms, pretty curious to see where he ends up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Enjoy the game everyone

Just as well we didn't play the games imo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Just as well we didn't play the games imo.

I will be sad forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It would've been, like, Wisconsin or someone, and been boring. We're better off pretending someone cooler won. Like known underdogs Kansas Jayhawks.