Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also i learned today that they not only greenlit but made a third Riddick???? What???? Talk about a stealth film..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also i learned today that they not only greenlit but made a third Riddick???? What???? Talk about a stealth film..

It’s awful and boring as poo poo, don’t bother with it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If you like dumb sci-fi series that seem like they are from 90s syndicated tv, Vagrant Queen was pretty fun

First episode is online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0bxOSVIOJo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I can't even remember if I've seen it or not!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rageaholic posted:

I can't even remember if I've seen it or not!

Wasn't it basically just Pitch Black but not?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Riddick 3 is basically just the lovely parts of pitch black with the lovely parts of Chronicles glued hastily on, yes

Lambs
Feb 11, 2014

Wikipedia posted:

Since they did not have enough money to shoot the film in its entirety, Diesel had to mortgage his house, obtain loans and spend most of his personal money on the production of the film, "I had to leverage my house," Diesel said. "If we didn't finish the film, I would be homeless."

also

Wikipedia posted:

On July 21, 2019, Vin Diesel posted to social media confirming he had received a script for Riddick 4 Furya.

I never contribute to this thread but I love the weird poo poo it teaches me every day about this dumb industry.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Is Anne Hathaway just in the paycheck stage of her career or what, thats like 3+ stinkers within the last 2 yrs

She's arguably always been in that phase, she's only occasionally done interesting stuff like Rachel Getting Married.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lambs posted:

also

I never contribute to this thread but I love the weird poo poo it teaches me every day about this dumb industry.

I unironically hope that Vin Diesel gets to make his Hannibal Barca movie trilogy someday.

got any sevens posted:

Is Anne Hathaway just in the paycheck stage of her career or what, thats like 3+ stinkers within the last 2 yrs

At least Serenity (2019) is such an utter bizarre and misguided trainwreck I'm glad it exists. They should play it in a double feature with Cats.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 30, 2020

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

According to wikipedia, his full name is "Richard B. Riddick".

Which makes him sound a lot less impressive and more like an accountant or lawyer, with a penchant for Hawaiian shirts and wraparound sunglasses.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 30, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

nonathlon posted:

Which makes him sound a lot less impressive and more like an accountant or lawyer, with a penchant for Hawaiian shorts and wraparound sunglasses.

"Dick Riddick, nice to meet you."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

"Dick Riddick, nice to meet you."

"The name is Riddick. Dick Boner Riddick."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

"The name is Riddick. Dick Boner Riddick."

Back when I listened to the Dread Central podcast, there was an episode where they discussed Riddick 3 and they went on this tangent where they speculated if Riddick was gay based on his lack of interest on the opposite sex and later on, one of them suddenly goes "I got it! He's actually a eunuch! That's why his name is "Rid-dick"! He got RID of his DICK!"

I remember laughing way too hard at that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

nonathlon posted:

Which makes him sound a lot less impressive and more like an accountant or lawyer, with a penchant for Hawaiian shirts and wraparound sunglasses.

That was kind of the joke in Pitch Black, a dweeb introduces himself to Riddick as "Chinless C. Intellectual, anthropologist" or suchlike and he shakes his hand and goes "Richard B. Riddick, serial killer :smug: "

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I unironically hope that Vin Diesel gets to make his Hannibal Barca movie trilogy someday.

I feel like I've been hearing about this since the early 2000s. I think he was trying to pitch it as a miniseries on BET at one point.

AceOfFlames posted:

Back when I listened to the Dread Central podcast, there was an episode where they discussed Riddick 3 and they went on this tangent where they speculated if Riddick was gay based on his lack of interest on the opposite sex and later on, one of them suddenly goes "I got it! He's actually a eunuch! That's why his name is "Rid-dick"! He got RID of his DICK!"

I remember laughing way too hard at that.

Isn't Katee Sackhoff's character a lesbian who gets turned straight by her attraction to Riddick? I vaguely remember that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah it’s really dumb. He stalks her like a movie monster, says he’ll be balls deep in her by the end and then at the end of the movie she’s all about him because he.....needed them to rescue him?

At no point was there any sexual tension. It just flips like a switch

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Pitch Black is legit flames. The Chronicles of Riddick is 100% stupid and 100% awesome. Riddick 3 doesn't go in either direction hard enough, so it's an amusing enough watch but it feels inconsequential. The absolute best part of the movie is the scumbag rapist mercenary getting the poo poo thrashed out of him at every opportunity, ending with him getting his head chopped in half at the nose. Get wrecked, creep.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The Invisible Man is mine and that movie ruled so, whatev.

How does it compare to the inexcusably horny Hollow Man

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Invisible man is woke save for the casting of a cultist

Hollow Man ain’t just horny. It’s rapey af

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah it’s really dumb. He stalks her like a movie monster, says he’ll be balls deep in her by the end and then at the end of the movie she’s all about him because he.....needed them to rescue him?

At no point was there any sexual tension. It just flips like a switch

I always saw it as her mocking the concept, given that she's repeating back his previous bravado as she's rescuing him. The very next shot has the two of them in separate ships - right before they part ways with no expectations of ever metering again - with him telling her to "keep it warm for me". It seemed to me like a joking callback to a more standoffish time by people who have a newfound modicum of respect for each other, rather than the "she's straight now!" read a lot of people seem to throw at the film. :shrug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That is way too much subtext imo. The movie began with him in bed with a bunch of the goth chicks

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Alan Smithee posted:

That is way too much subtext imo. The movie began with him in bed with a bunch of the goth chicks

And a monologue about how much he destested that life. One if the first teaser images for the film was a "King Conan" homage.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alhazred posted:

She's arguably always been in that phase, she's only occasionally done interesting stuff like Rachel Getting Married.

Rachel Getting Married completely flew under my radar, but it has a wild pedigree; it was directed by Jonathan Demme and written by Jenny Lumet, who's Sidney Lumet's daughter and Lena loving Horne's granddaughter.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shageletic posted:

How does it compare to the inexcusably horny Hollow Man

Hollow Man sucks and Invisible Man is good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Rachel Getting Married completely flew under my radar, but it has a wild pedigree; it was directed by Jonathan Demme and written by Jenny Lumet, who's Sidney Lumet's daughter and Lena loving Horne's granddaughter.

I watched it, couldn't pay attn to it. YMMV.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hollow Man sucks and Invisible Man is good.

Cool, I'll look for it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shageletic posted:

I watched it, couldn't pay attn to it. YMMV.

Yeah, I haven't seen it but I was looking into it because Jenny Lumet's son with Chef Jeff from Master Of None was in the Mandalorian and I was trying to figure out why he looked so familiar.

edit: Demme's odd overall, he's directed a few legit masterpieces but also a lot of forgettable garbage.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

More stuff got pushed back, including Ghostbusters 4: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/morbius-ghostbusters-afterlife-uncharted-pushed-back-2021-sony-1203549616/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they are waiting til we are all ghosts

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bustin' gettin' busted makes me feel good

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

NEWS FLASH:

Avatar on Disney+ is no longer using papyrus in its thumbnail picture.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The MSJ posted:

NEWS FLASH:

Avatar on Disney+ is no longer using papyrus in its thumbnail picture.

is it comic sans now?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alan Smithee posted:

is it comic sans now?

Wingdings

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Hobbes and Shaw 2 has been announced or spoken of. And I'm very lukewarm about it. The Fast series has been threatening to tip over into being just too ridiculous, but H&S absolutely went there immediately, complete with endless macho posturing from the leads, more gungho than fun. Although, as the report asserts, there's no way it'll be here soon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Something just occurred to me but what is the expected gap in new releases because of the pandemic? I recall we were having productions shut down for a month before it really hit big due to coronavirus scares and of course, we can't exactly predict how the next few months will unfold. Just really curious about it right now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Young Freud posted:

Something just occurred to me but what is the expected gap in new releases because of the pandemic? I recall we were having productions shut down for a month before it really hit big due to coronavirus scares and of course, we can't exactly predict how the next few months will unfold. Just really curious about it right now.

I'm pretty sure we're going to be shut down for more than a couple months.

My prediction is that we really won't feel the effects of this on movies until about 2022 or 2023, depending on how things shake out.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Could lead to an increase in animated movies, perhaps some weird stuff with everyone stuck at home.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure we're going to be shut down for more than a couple months.

My prediction is that we really won't feel the effects of this on movies until about 2022 or 2023, depending on how things shake out.

I know we're already seeing first-run theatrical releases go straight to digital due to the shutdowns and some of the bigger budget films getting pushed back further into 2021.

It'll be interesting what fills that void. Might be a whole year of theatrical rereleases and small budget films hashed out in a couple month instead of wall-to-wall MCU Phase 5 blockbusters.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

married but discreet posted:

Could lead to an increase in animated movies, perhaps some weird stuff with everyone stuck at home.

I expect we’ll see sequels to Unfriended and Searching.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I expect we’ll see sequels to Unfriended and Searching.

“Dude i see you outside on camera. You broke quarantine I’m unfriending you”

*teleports behind you*

“But now that I’m with you. You’re breaking quarantine”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

married but discreet posted:

Could lead to an increase in animated movies

This is my thinking, too, but more due to South Korea being a country that took the virus seriously very early on and an animation powerhouse.