Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A proton pack is not a toy.

:hmmyes: I guess he’s right.

I love that that’s Ray’s line. Ray would totally give one to a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I distinctly remember seeing that Oprah GB2 special as a kid. She brings up the cartoon and Aykroyd immediately starts complaining about how they “made me the fat one.”

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The new toys are out: https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3606089/hasbro-previews-summers-new-classic-ghostbusters-ghostbusters-afterlife-toys/

I don't think there are any spoilers in there, aside from the ghost from the Afterlife trailer as a squishy toy. Everything else is a reimagining of the classic stuff, like a new, blue proton pack.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

what in the gently caress is this kid even wearing? what are those pants?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s what kids wear now you old

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Three different lines of figures too.

Kid-friendly:

deluxe figures:

And reissues of the Real Ghostbusters:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"Death is but a door, time but a window; I'll be back."

Rest in peace, Max von Sydow.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZ5FnohyyI

RIP

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
On a mountain of skulls, in a castle of pain, I sat on my butt and watched ol Max portray a multitude of amazing characters decade after decade :rip:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

•?((¯°·._.• 𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓁𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝓊𝓏𝓏𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑜𝒻 𝒻𝓁𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝒾𝓂 •._.·°¯((?•

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

text me a vag pic posted:

•?((¯°·._.• 𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓁𝓈 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝓊𝓏𝓏𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑜𝒻 𝒻𝓁𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒽𝒾𝓂 •._.·°¯((?•

Well you're not gonna get a green card with that attitude, pal. (very nice)

Anyway, I just saw this and wow. I love it. The voice, the enthusiasm, the completely different and absolutely lovely proton stream sound effects.

:discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdccJTge1c

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That commercial is bringing back nostalgia I had in the early nineties for broadcast tv movies, that I didn't even know I had.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That commercial is bringing back nostalgia I had in the early nineties for broadcast tv movies, that I didn't even know I had.

What's really bizarre (to me at least), is that if you look up old TV schedules, most of broadcast TV was movies and sports up until about 1997 when it went from 4 channels to 6.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why did they change the proton sounds? Utterly bizarre

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Why did they change the proton sounds? Utterly bizarre

those were the original proton pack noises, we're all just familiar with the 90s Special Edition CGI Ghostbuster remakes. Remember, Tully shot first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm an audio engineer and sound designer, and would LOVE to read or hear about the process in making the proton beam sounds.

The Ecto-1 siren is a cat! :eng101:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tell me more about this?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm an audio engineer and sound designer, and would LOVE to read or hear about the process in making the proton beam sounds.

The sound of the pack being turned on is a slowed-down jet turbine with some additional synth effects layered on top of it. I have a writeup somewhere about the proton beam sounds, I'll look for it when I get home.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

Tell me more about this?

Gladly! It's a leopard snarl, heavily edited of course.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've made an extremely important historical discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_oat_4plA

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lurdiak posted:

I've made an extremely important historical discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_oat_4plA

It didn't play all that well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got some ghostbusters toys the other day. They’re not perfect but given all the choices and prices, I liked these the most.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

It didn't play all that well.

It's also got that early Turok "world props are proportioned for a five-year-old PC" thing going on but still, interesting find.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I got some ghostbusters toys the other day. They’re not perfect but given all the choices and prices, I liked these the most.

They’re the Mezco ones? I liked them, but the suits look way too bulky.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

They’re the Mezco ones? I liked them, but the suits look way too bulky.

Putting cloth costumes on action figures is tricky but you'd think in this modern era of hundred-dollar collector's items for millennial manchildren, someone would take a real stab at researching a solution.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Japan is getting good at clothes. This is Mafex’s Miles Morales coming out later this year, and he’s only 1:12 scale.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In person the ghostbuster set ain’t too bad. The zippers are over sized but it doesn’t bug me when I have the thing in hand. The little details are quite impressive.

But tbh I picked the mezcos because they’re the only ones that don’t look like complete rear end to me. I wish I could’ve gotten the Blitzway figures but I dunno if I wanted to spend a grand on the set lol. And I wanted the whole crew in my collection.

Never liked diamonds or Mattel’s and Hasbros just didn’t do it for me. So these were the best choice. Not perfect but I dig em hah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

introducing Dustin Hoffman as Egon Spengler

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol
The Hasbro Venkman looks kinda like Ted Cruz and it freaks me out

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Ray looks like Chris Barrie

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

lol
The Hasbro Venkman looks kinda like Ted Cruz and it freaks me out

“We’re ready to believe you (killed two teenagers in Vallejo last July)”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cant bust ghosts if you dont off a few people first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

We're out there MAKING business!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Wasn’t there something interesting about the end of the world dates in GB2 during Pete’s show? NYE was related to the movies climax but was 2/14/16 something? Or was that just people talking in 2016 about it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Violator posted:

Wasn’t there something interesting about the end of the world dates in GB2 during Pete’s show? NYE was related to the movies climax but was 2/14/16 something? Or was that just people talking in 2016 about it?

People in 2016 talking about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

This would make a rad ghostbusters villain

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
32 years ago today, the 26th March 1988, Marvel UK released the first issue of The Real Ghostbusters!

While the American NOW comics did big multi-issue stories with complex plotlines, the British comic had short adventures. A bit more kid-friendly, but with a great sense of humour, and I feel it better captured the feel of the actual cartoon show.

I mostly did this for all the kids who are stuck in quarantine lockdown at the moment, but some adult fans might get a chuckle out of this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbkE6vSI8A

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Omg I bought that issue(and many more)! The weight of the badge ripped the flimsy paper after only a few weeks. I don’t know why I didn’t take it off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, arse. Afterlife has been moved back to 2021.