Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, it is a pretty good case study in incredibly compact, efficient writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patware posted:

yeah but i've seen planet with

i loved planet with

i wouldn't want to see planet with again

I watched Planet With and... I felt like I didn't get it?

I didn't hate it or anything, but I didn't love it ether, didn't see anything that made me go "Yes, Planet With is a standout show". It wasn't even "I see what people love in this but it's not for me.", but an inability to see why anyone would think of it as particularly special.

I liked it more than Granbelm, for example, but Granbelm had aspects where I went "Ah, I see, the people who love it like these things, and are willing to overlook its flaws in exchange for seeing those things done to their liking." Planet With, I didn't have that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the whole time i was watching planet with it just made me want a lucifer and biscuit hammer anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
planet with has a better ending than lucifer and the biscuit hammer because it doesn't see the need to time lapse marry a bunch of characters who never once had a remotely memorable interaction in the entire story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how dare you forget such stunning romances such as fat guy x snake lady

or uh

were we meant to think the two little girls were gonna wind up with the rival guy? thats weird

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I watched Planet With and... I felt like I didn't get it?

I didn't hate it or anything, but I didn't love it ether, didn't see anything that made me go "Yes, Planet With is a standout show". It wasn't even "I see what people love in this but it's not for me.", but an inability to see why anyone would think of it as particularly special.

I liked it more than Granbelm, for example, but Granbelm had aspects where I went "Ah, I see, the people who love it like these things, and are willing to overlook its flaws in exchange for seeing those things done to their liking." Planet With, I didn't have that.

planet with was one of those animes that are like a raw id experience that you really have to watch with other people

i would never have gotten through it on my own, most of the fun was typing in all caps when stupid poo poo happened

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUAgKm8LBE4

Yeah yeah yeah

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
What made Planet With really great was the exploration of philosophical themes, mainly dealing with pacifism vs. justice. The narrative is basically making the case that justice is worthless and you're better off without it. I was blown away by how simple it was to apply such a pure ideal of pacifism in the final confrontation - Thank the dragon for the good things he's done, and forgive him for the bad things he's done.

Also it was Norio Wakamoto voicing an alien dog man.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Julias posted:

I don't know how many people are going to be excited based on how it seems like season 2 let down the majority of the fanbase on SA here.

ill finish the spinoff about the shorty elf chick someday....

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

ill finish the spinoff about the shorty elf chick someday....

There were spinoffs?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

There were spinoffs?

there's one that happens simultaneous with season 1 where an elf lady drools all over the tall blonde knight chick. sword oratoria i think its called

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
will watch:

eva rebuild 4
baki season 2
new ghost in the shell poo poo
sol levante

try:

BNA
appare-ranman

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/eizouken_saikyo/status/1243132158551535616?s=20

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1243146044713525249?s=20

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Looks like Bofuri is getting a second season

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

cave emperor posted:

Looks like Bofuri is getting a second season

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a card game anime right? I thought everybody didn't like it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kwyndig posted:

The first two seasons, which form a single complete story arc, are pretty good, though the actual card game aspect of it is very secondary—you won't learn how to play the game by watching the show. I haven't seen the third or fourth season to judge them, but I think the general consensus was "not as good as the first two seasons".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

the first two seasons are incredible and some of mari okada's best work, a legitimately touching story about relationships and sexuality. also they literally never explain how to play the card game and all the scenes where they play it just do a few emotional beats between characters and end, they barely ever say 'this card ___' and there's never even really any indication of whos winning or losing beyond character's reactions and when the match is over. there's never a display of the board or anything. it's an ad for a card game but its hardly a card game anime like yugioh or smth.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

With all the horrible things happening to the players, it's really the opposite of an ad for the card game.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Season 3 was pretty awful and 4 while not being awful wasn't really good

So who knows what this will be

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tamba posted:

With all the horrible things happening to the players, it's really the opposite of an ad for the card game.
Literally the shittiest wish-granter I've ever seen in any media. Kyubey is a champ in comparison.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Forgall posted:

Literally the shittiest wish-granter I've ever seen in any media. Kyubey is a champ in comparison.
"Also, don't wish for time travel, or things will get too complicated."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The end of that teaser and the designs I've seen elsewhere makes it seem a lot more upbeat on its face, which could either be deceptive or going another route with the series after Lostorage.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1243534487713177605?s=19

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Cells at Work is a good show and I hope the next series is quality, but it'll feel...awkward at this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Good thing it's not coming out until next year.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting article on Chinese animation's rise and Japanese animation's fall, and the role of Japan's vampiric production companies:

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1243678158022414338?s=21

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://twitter.com/magireco/status/1243923299370823681?s=20

Magia Record season 2 announced

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kaguya-sama 2 is only on Funi apparently

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1243614183918313475?s=20

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The reason for this is Funimation's gonna be dubbing both seasons. Not in the near future (though I'd wager season 2 was probably planned to be a simuldub originally), but they've got it planned.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well I'm still excited, I pay for Funimation one season at a time so this gives me a reason to renew.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Considering how tight money is going to be right now for a lot of people it seems crazy to continue to give shows exclusively to one streaming service.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Likely the papers were already signed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I read some ch of the Arte manga so I'm surprised it got an anime adaptation since it has the weird student/teacher relationship I'm going to sit it out.

Kitsutsuki Tanteidokoro: Detectives and books.

Fugou Keiji: Balance:unlimited: More detectives and batman.

Nami yo Kiitekure: I like the art style and character designs.

Yesterday wo Utatte : I read the manga and it's boring.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Psycho Pass 3 finale movies are out and they're a pretty satisfying and action-packed conclusion. It felt even more Ghost in the Shell than Psycho Pass 1 or 2 than the TV episodes did.

I hope there's a season 4 with Akane as an enforcer. The chief's reaction face to that news was great.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 29, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/03/30/gal-and-dino-quirky-comedy-two-unlikely-roommates-funimation-spring/

Funimation licensed both the animated and live action Gal and Dino.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

man bang dream is good

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Any chance the stuff Funimation picks up ends on Crunchyroll or another streaming site? Their app on the PS4 is complete garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Any chance the stuff Funimation picks up ends on Crunchyroll or another streaming site? Their app on the PS4 is complete garbage.
funi and crunchy ended their partnership, so rip on that front