Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Arist posted:

I think it changes based on depth, there's like four or five tracks for Mementos this time and some of them are pretty good.

Like Tartarus then? Nice.

Can someone confirm which battle track plays during an ambush? In P4G, “Time to Make History” was the regular battle theme, but you could still get “Reach Out to the Truth” as a reward for ambushing enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Walker posted:

Like Tartarus then? Nice.

Can someone confirm which battle track plays during an ambush? In P4G, “Time to Make History” was the regular battle theme, but you could still get “Reach Out to the Truth” as a reward for ambushing enemies.

Pretty sure "Take Over", the new song, plays for ambushes, while "Last Surprise" is for regular battles. I'm torn on this. I prefer "Time to Make History" to "Reach Out to the Truth" and was annoyed I barely got to hear the new song in Golden, so it's good that we'll actually be able to hear "Take Over", but I think "Last Surprise" is probably a better song so I'm annoyed I'll very rarely get to hear it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
There’s always the DLC costumes to change the battle theme if you like.

So if you have the Persona 3 costume for Joker it plays “Mass Destruction”. Or if you have any of the other DLC costumes you’re wrong and should change to the Persona 3 costume.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Going back to the 'reduced homophobia': I know that the first scene is changed (only in the localized English version I should mention), but did they do anything to the other two scenes they are in where they...basically do the same thing? (Well, the second scene at least)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

Going back to the 'reduced homophobia': I know that the first scene is changed (only in the localized English version I should mention), but did they do anything to the other two scenes they are in where they...basically do the same thing? (Well, the second scene at least)

I haven't seen any images from the beach scene but I have to assume they've changed their other appearances as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yes they just want to give Ryuji a make over in the beach scene, and he is much less repulsed by them just annoyed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I went ahead and pre-ordered it with three hours to go. Very strange how I recall thinking P5 was 80 hours of "decent" but I still day one bought Royal. I remember thinking that certain social link romances were near impossible on a first playthrough - Haru, iirc, was a particular pain. Has that loosened up a bit with Morgana no longer sending you to bed all the time or are you still looking at NG+ for maxing out certain romances?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
p5 had by far the most generous opportunities to max out your links on a first playthrough compared to its two predecessors, but you did have to maliciously abuse chihaya's tarot readings

haru's was a weird one though, you're right, iirc you had like three weeks to get her up to the threshold

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I say "Morgana doesn't make you go to sleep as often" that means that apparently you can do stuff in Leblanc on those nights, not go outside.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Time to wait for midnight.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hunt11 posted:

Time to wait for midnight.

Must... resist... urge... to... preorder...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Our EB equivalent in roo land started selling copies midway through last week and I am up to the first trip to madarame's palace. The new content I have seen so far is great and the game is still great. In around 100 hours of play time I'm sure this will be the crowning glory of the PS4 era.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CrimsonMk3/status/1244800189745020930

Oops

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BGrifter posted:

There’s always the DLC costumes to change the battle theme if you like.

So if you have the Persona 3 costume for Joker it plays “Mass Destruction”. Or if you have any of the other DLC costumes you’re wrong and should change to the Persona 3 costume.

Obelisk is a great battle theme.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With the costumes it is worth noting the Persona 4 costumes play "Time to make history" while the Persona 4 dancing costumes play "Reach out to the truth" remix version.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cuntellectual posted:

Obelisk is a great battle theme.

Most of them are great. They’re just stuck in a cage match with the 500 pound gorilla known as Mass Destruction.

In any other franchise they’d be top tier battle themes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Most of them are great. They’re just stuck in a cage match with the 500 pound gorilla known as Mass Destruction.

To each their own. Personally I never found Mass Destruction that memorable.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am weak and just preordered now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am weak and just preordered now.

Speaking theoretically for a moment, but if I were to drink a bunch of vodka and make bad life choices is it worth going for the “ultimate” bundle?

Just curious. No particular reason. I’m still totally gonna wait a couple months. For reals. Not gonna break down and preorder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BGrifter posted:

Speaking theoretically for a moment, but if I were to drink a bunch of vodka and make bad life choices is it worth going for the “ultimate” bundle?

Just curious. No particular reason. I’m still totally gonna wait a couple months. For reals. Not gonna break down and preorder.

Probably not unless you really want those bonus fights and also really like the costumes and extra Personas. If so I think it'll save you $20 in the long run buying it in the Ultimate bundle?

I already bought it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

BGrifter posted:

Hey now I never said I would wait a month. I said it would be a week.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BGrifter posted:

Honestly, my favorite Persona battle theme was the Reincarnation Mix for I'll Face Myself. (a.k.a. Marie boss music) The first big shift between piano and violin always gives me chills. And as doofy as a character as Marie was her VA's work during the fight was pretty spot on.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Memnaelar posted:

I went ahead and pre-ordered it with three hours to go. Very strange how I recall thinking P5 was 80 hours of "decent" but I still day one bought Royal. I remember thinking that certain social link romances were near impossible on a first playthrough - Haru, iirc, was a particular pain. Has that loosened up a bit with Morgana no longer sending you to bed all the time or are you still looking at NG+ for maxing out certain romances?

From what i understand, on days that Morgana sends you to bed you can instead do something inside like read a book or make tools. I've also heard they increased stat point requirements to compensate for this.

Haru isn't that much of an outlier, Naoto was the same with not having much time to level her.

If you want to max everyone then get the Fortune Teller to whatever level lets you pay her to boost relationships with people who aren't ready to level up then abuse the hell out of it so you don't have to waste days hanging out with people without ranking up.

Doing this in my first run of vanilla game i maxed everyone with 2 weeks to spare while also getting all the trophies.

You also have the new semester, but there are 3 new confidants you need to level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reminder if you haven't read the OP that the new semester has Confidant requirements to unlock.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

To each their own. Personally I never found Mass Destruction that memorable.

I've always liked Wiping All Out more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Arist posted:

Reminder if you haven't read the OP that the new semester has Confidant requirements to unlock.

Are they something you need to know going in? I try to go into things as clean as possible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Unlucky7 posted:

Are they something you need to know going in? I try to go into things as clean as possible.

The way I can spoil it the least is just by saying: do as much of the new Confidants (including Akechi's) as you possibly can before a certain deadline that will probably be obvious to you if you've played the game before. None of them can be *maxed* before this date, which in addition to occasional plot barriers makes it a little tricky.

e: oh, going back through your previous posts you didn't beat the original game, that makes this a little trickier.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 31, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Then what month in game should I go back to check the requirement?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The deadline is at the end of the October/November dungeon.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

When I say "Morgana doesn't make you go to sleep as often" that means that apparently you can do stuff in Leblanc on those nights, not go outside.

I mean just having the extra time slots to boost up social skills with books/movies/vidja games should give a hell of a lot more flexibility to the schedule.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It begins.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wow, they wasted no time in introducing that new girl.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay, so guns are absurdly loving useful now compared to the base game.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Stroth posted:

Okay, so guns are absurdly loving useful now compared to the base game.

that has been my main takeaway so far as well heh

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
What's the best use of money in the game? I can't remember if I'm supposed to be buying new gear or not.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Got my copy from Game today and there was a weird bonus in the box: someone put in a little trading card-sized thing of Joker. It's a shiny gold thing and was in a plastic sleeve. The really weird part is, it was in the packaging itself, like someone had thrown it in the box it was shipped in as an afterthought. Not seen anyone else mention this so far, but it's a nice little extra.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

What's the best use of money in the game? I can't remember if I'm supposed to be buying new gear or not.

The SP patches the doctor sells at a certain point in her confidant were good in the original game, there's a drink you can buy at a stand every sunday that doesn't take time and raises one social stat. I guess if guns are better then customising them will be worthwhile as well.

There's the shopping channel thing as well, I don't remember having to buy armour and weapons too often but you will sometimes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Starsnostars posted:

Not sure if they’ve changed things for the new version but in the base game keeping up with the newest equipment for sale really did make a huge difference.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 31, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

After about 5 hours I'm up to the point where you can go into the first palace for real although I'm not going in yet. Can't wait to pull out Izanagi No Okami and just totally break the game because it starts with Victory Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Characters now share a hiding spot when peaking around a corner instead of you shoving them out of the way. I did not know that I wanted this before, but I am now furious I had to wait this long for it.