Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Code Veronica superiority. Definitely a better RE 3 than RE 3 was. I fucken love that game. The crazy plot, the awesome atmosphere and music, the overpowered knife, matrix Wekser, it’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

This is a debate that has gone on since both games came out lol

Both of them rule in their own way, but 3 probably is better overall. Code Veronica had some very ambitious graphics and camera use for the time though and the way it had pre-set camera angles that also moved with the player a bit was really really cool because of all the spots you can tell they took the time to really set up as a great "shot" as it pans in or around a corner or up stairs and such. It was when people were starting to realize that 3D cameras could use some work, but also before every dev just said gently caress it and started giving the player more direct camera control. Pre-set camera angles take a lot of work to make work, and for the most part Code Veronica does a great job with it. You can tell Capcom was shaky on this themselves because Dino Crisis 1 is setup similarly to Code Veronica, but then Dino Crisis 2 goes back to pre-rendered backgrounds instead of real time 3D.

I like Code Veronica a lot myself too, but some parts of it really don't hold up well, and it has some pretty lame enemy designs (but also some GREAT stuff like the Nosferatu design/encounter set up, but the fight itself is really easy).

Basically Code Veronica is the one that would probably benefit the most from a remake because there's a ton of good poo poo in there but it's really inconsistent.

There's even obvious DLC hooks since you email Leon early on in the game and who wouldn't want more "Chris angrily steam rolls through chumps" DLC.

Silent Hill did all the "3D environments with a fixed camera angle" aesthetic way better on PS1, it wasn't some new approach or tech. It's just an ugly game, with some flaws. And steve blows.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

In Training posted:

Silent Hill did all the "3D environments with a fixed camera angle" aesthetic way better on PS1, it wasn't some new approach or tech. It's just an ugly game, with some flaws. And steve blows.

It wasn't new at all, just done way better in Code Veronica than in most other games coming out in its time. Silent Hill 1 (along with many other games) did it first, but Silent Hill 1 is one of the best games ever made of any kind on any platform so I wouldn't consider its accomplishments to be typical.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

man nurse posted:

Code Veronica superiority. Definitely a better RE 3 than RE 3 was. I fucken love that game. The crazy plot, the awesome atmosphere and music, the overpowered knife, matrix Wekser, it’s great.

You're insane, CV is hot trash garbage with bad backtracking, bad weapons a messy plot and tons of bad design decisions.

It's easily among the worst games in the series.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is there a list of all the unlockables at the end of RE3make you get by doing Records?

really wanna know

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Tried the Project Resistance beta this morning on PS4. Boy it's not playable in solo queue as a survivor. I had three random drop out in the second area leaving me to try to solo it. Spoilers: didn't go well!

Being Mastermind is fun though. A group had trouble in the second area finding the security zombie, so I put a licker and Ivy in the room with him. They were surprised!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Maybe it's because I didn't play CV:X until it was ported to the GameCube (I played it after RE4, but I don't remember which came out first) but there's just so much I can't stand about it. The recycled RE2 sound effects, which is particularly noticeable on zombies, the general model quality and sluggish feeling animations, the colours feeling bland and washed out. And it's so long...

In contrast I can pick up and play OG RE2 and RE3 again despite them being shorter, less visually and technologically ambitious and just have a ball. Jill et al feel swift and responsive, the enemies and characters move with a kind of "pop" and those pre-rendered backgrounds have so much detail in them compared to the 3D models. I commend CV for being ambitious but the only time I want to replay it is if Capcom announce a remake just so I can refresh myself.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

As somebody who likes Code Veronica a great deal, there's so much that they did poorly. The game would be 100% better if they'd rearranged the prison chapter to loop (like RE1 or RE2, where you're constantly unlocking one-way doors or kicking shortcut ladders or otherwise finding shortcuts back) instead of being a long oval that you had to repeatedly backtrack through, for example.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ImpAtom posted:

Have you ever tried the Dead Space games? If you have even a moderately powerful PC you can run them and Dead Space 1 may scratch your itch.

I forgot about Dead Space. That's a good idea. I played the original on 360 and never finished it; I think because I really disliked the air lock/no gravity parts. Same thing with Prey.

Also, put me down as yes for werewolves, witches and poo poo in a big haunted castle/mansion. I'm cool with a Universal monsters approach.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Code Veronica had the evil transgendered chick right? Or was that only in the novels?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Boba Pearl posted:

Code Veronica had the evil transgendered chick right? Or was that only in the novels?

There isn't really any trans element, but it can easily come off that way to modern viewpoints.

The first arc villain Alfred did dress as his twin sister Alexia, but that was because he couldn't cope with her absence (the normal twin closeness was creepily far and all-but-incestuous, at least from his direction) after her "death". His mind broke in half, and half of his mind developed an Alexia personality so he could convince himself that she was still present.

Both the game and the novelization had him realize this because of a personality mismatch -he switched to Alfred while dressed as Alexia- but only the book had any kind of from-his-pov mental dialogue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

My final playtime for my first runthrough was 4 1/2 hours, including time spent poking around for bobbleheads and such.

That is not much shorter than the original RE3 but it feels shorter in a few ways.

If you are interested in what was cut:

The game basically starts at the 'repairing the train car' section. Brad appears briefly during the opening scene but isn't killed by Nemesis. (You do find out his fate later.)
The City Streets (the area from the demo) and the electrical plant are still there.
The police station is recut into a side trip for Carlos
The Clock Tower is entirely removed except as the backdrop of a boss fight
The Hospital takes the place of the sickbed for Jill.
Everything past the Hospital is removed for a new lab segment.

This really sucks.

rabidsquid posted:

getting dead space to run on PC is a loving mystery i havent been able to figure out, something about the game makes it so the FPS is wildly hosed and the mouse does not work. i gave up after a few hours

I believe this is a V-Sync issue with the game, but if you can deal with using a controller you should be fine. There might be a fan patch at this point to fix this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't see why there needs to be a debate. I think they are both solid games that people have preferences for due to various reasons.

man nurse posted:

I fucken love that game. The crazy plot, the awesome atmosphere and music, the overpowered knife, matrix Wekser, it’s great.

I love how if you use the knife even remotely well, and know what is coming up, you can break the game and not have to really worry about ammo at all. Plus, it was the game that reintroduced the hunters for me since I didn't play RE3 until about a year later. And some of the music was amazing. I still remember the music that plays when Wesker fights Alexia and the music that Alexia sings to this day.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Why in the name of hell, would the Resident Evil 3 remake start around the halfway point of the original Resident Evil 3?

It makes no sense.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

so i just tried out the resistance open beta and yeah i dont think ill be playing much of this at all

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

0 rows returned posted:

so i just tried out the resistance open beta and yeah i dont think ill be playing much of this at all

What didn't you like? Genuinely curious. I played it on steam with 3 friends and had a good bit of fun. Most of it was messing with each other, but still, pretty fun imo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
any game's fun when you're playing it with friends

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlestonJew posted:

any game's fun when you're playing it with friends

Sonic the Hedgehog 06 is not fun.

But you should play with friends anyway

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If the next game’s gonna be magic and witches and werewolves then loving go big with it,no labs or science or viruses just haunted castles and spooky foggy abandoned houses.
Don’t pussy out, Capcom.

Umbrella Corp bought up the IP during the Yarhnam bankruptcy auction...

Judging by reviews, guess I’ll play R3make before the RE 2 remake. I would actually really like a short game right now and this way will avoid disappointment.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My final playtime for my first runthrough was 4 1/2 hours, including time spent poking around for bobbleheads and such.

That is not much shorter than the original RE3 but it feels shorter in a few ways.

If you are interested in what was cut:

Brad appears briefly during the opening scene but isn't killed by Nemesis. (You do find out his fate later.)

not gonna lie this is the weirdest and dumbest thing not to show because it was such an iconic moment in the original

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus those changes sound like hot garbage, can't believe how disappointing this is

Even if it wasn't going to be a remake on the scale of RE2, the changes to the story beats just sound dumb as hell, looks like I'll be waiting for a substantial price drop before getting it

Welp :negative:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pulcinella posted:

Umbrella Corp bought up the IP during the Yarhnam bankruptcy auction...

Astraea Disposal Services, LLC

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Jesus those changes sound like hot garbage, can't believe how disappointing this is

Even if it wasn't going to be a remake on the scale of RE2, the changes to the story beats just sound dumb as hell, looks like I'll be waiting for a substantial price drop before getting it

Welp :negative:

wat

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

....wat do you mean wat, that's pretty self explanatory I don't like the idea of those changes and im far less interested in playing it now??

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Melee characters seem fairly pointless in Resistance. Even with a sledgehammer I wasn't getting any hit stun on zombies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Resident Evil 3: Remake. A tragedy told in three acts.

Act 1. Saturday the 28th of March.

Me (Out digging in the garden, talking to my brother on the phone.): Hey brother. You know the way that you ordered Resident Evil 3 for my birthday present.

Brother: I do.

Me: Did you pre-order it digitally or order a physical copy?

Brother: I ordered it with Gamestop.

Me: With this pandemic going around, do you think they will still be able to deliver the game before Friday?

Brother: I am not sure. I haven't heard from them. What do you want to do?

Me: If they haven't taken the money from your account yet, maybe cancel the pre-order and we can just pre-order it on the PS Store so I can get a copy on Friday.

Brother: Tell you what, since I also want to play RE3, why don't I order you your copy on the PS Store and I'll keep the physical copy when Gamestop sends it to me?

Me: Cool. I'm fine with that.

Act 2. Monday the 30th of March

Me: Okay I have ordered the game on Playstation Store. Now I am guaranteed to get it by Friday. Can't wait.

Hmm, I see a lot of posts on the SA forums about the game. They must be really excited about it.

Act 3. Tuesday the 31st of March.

Me: Oh no, I read the posts on the forums. They are making the game same less good than the Re2 Remake.

Brother: Hey, I just collected the post today. The physical copy of Resident Evil 3 has arrived. It's here.

Me: But since I got the version digitally, I have to wait until Friday to play it!
Nooooo!

(Nemesis breaks through the wall into my house.)
Nemesis: STARS!

Fin.

True story.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I had RE3 pre-ordered, then canceled that to pick up Animal Crossing based on what I was hearing (and the demo that ... wasn't really all that fun). I don't regret that choice, but will definitely be picking this up whenever it goes on sale.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why did we think RE3 might be as good as RE2 when the originals (and every other numbered entry of anything, ever? 2 always >3) didn't fit that mold?

We all (or I) hated what RE4 looked like as a "big departure" when it was first announced too, and look how that turned out. Not gonna get my hopes up for RE8 to be the best game of its generation though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh no they changed the weird garbage dump at the end of RE3 into something that makes more sense the game is ruined forever.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

codo27 posted:

Why did we think RE3 might be as good as RE2 when the originals (and every other numbered entry of anything, ever? 2 always >3) didn't fit that mold?

Devil May Cry

Also the idea that RE 3 remake has to be a worse game than RE 2 remake because that's how the originals worked is such an absurdly deterministic concept. Was there nothing the devs could do to improve the game (or for that matter "not make it worse")?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RE3 was leagues better than RE2 for me. I have no particular nostalgia for RE2, probably because I played 3 when I was a kid and didn't play 2 until I was an adult. Despite hearing about the changes I'm still really excited to play the remake.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Playing this resistance beta. It seems...Ok?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No clock tower location is a mega bummer but I’m still going to play and enjoy this game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

For me, I thought that actually having more things that genuinely needed improvement would get a fresh coat of paint. Sort of like re-making an "OK" movie usually works better than remaking a masterpiece because you get another shot at it.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Did people actually expect this to be better than 2? It’s not the same team. As soon as a I heard that I started tempering my expectations.

Still pretty annoyed with the lack of mercenaries though. Hopefully that’s the DLC.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DLC Inc posted:

not gonna lie this is the weirdest and dumbest thing not to show because it was such an iconic moment in the original

re: Brad, it's also one of the most blatant and famous continuity errors in the series, so I can't fault them for switching it up.

The one thing that's consistent about the T-Virus is that it can't reanimate a human body without a brain, and Nemesis very blatantly sticks a tentacle through Brad's whole head.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Did people actually expect this to be better than 2? It’s not the same team. As soon as a I heard that I started tempering my expectations.

:smith:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

sigher posted:

Easy Allies has a review up for RE3 and they said the game is about 5-6 hours long, god drat. I'm guessing they cut a ton of poo poo?

i've heard that the clock counter might hosed, might need patching. one dude said it took him the usual 12-15 hours but the clock came in at 6 hours. theres way more optional areas to explore tho? who knows. theres other remixed harder modes tho so it sounds the length of re2, just no second character. like the original re3. im gonna play on hard, new game plus it for the extra ending and then super hard.

but they have cut stuff and changed things, best be prepared for that i guess.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 31, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao the first 5 seconds of this video, if only the people of raccoon city did what we did, maybe they wouldnt have got nuked? hey, maybe someone hasn't played re3 before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NK0lCbTVo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Is there a list of all the unlockables at the end of RE3make you get by doing Records?

really wanna know

RE1 Costume for Jill
2 each of: Defense Coin, Regen Coin, Attacker Coin. All boost stats while in inventory and stack.
S.T.A.R.S Defense Manual which boosts Perfect Dodge window.
Ammo Creation Tool which boosts the amount of ammo you get from gunpowder
2 Hip Pouches (they show up near the first item box for both Carlos and Jill.)
Lockpick (unlocked early)
Boltcutters (unlocked early)
Samurai Edge (Jill Custom)
Hot Dogger (improved knife that sets enemies on fire.)
RAI-DEN (infinite ammo electric gun that only does significant damage if you shoot an enemy's weak point)
Infinite ammo handgun
infinite ammo assault rifle
infinite ammo rocket launcher.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i've heard that the clock counter might hosed, might need patching. one dude said it took him the usual 12-15 hours but the clock came in at 6 hours. theres way more optional areas to explore tho? who knows. theres other remixed harder modes tho so it sounds the length of re2, just no second character. like the original re3. im gonna play on hard, new game plus it for the extra ending and then super hard.

but they have cut stuff and changed things, best be prepared for that i guess.

I can tell you that my clock count was accurate or at least so close to accurate it doesn't matter. I finished the game in a single sitting. 12-15 hours is bonkers to me. I also don't know what you mean about New Game + because there isn't one. Nightmare sort of functions like that but unless I missed something it doesn't have a different ending.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 31, 2020