Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try Disco Elysium. I think you'll enjoy its take on pigs.

As for pig games in general it's...frustrating, but I have to do something similar when playing most shooters as they're so often about being a sociopath who would shoot a civilian. The Division is a highlight here of putting up with some insane politics to get at some really interesting level design. Exploring that NYC is so good. Shooting people in hoodies for trying to live in a ruined NYC is bad.

I bought the Division 2 when it was on sale for like 4 bucks and lol I think I'm over this as well lol. It is also just how empty a loot shooter where the loot is meh feels.

I'm probably gonna play Control, that seems like it would be more fun of a shooty game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I bought the Division 2 when it was on sale for like 4 bucks and lol I think I'm over this as well lol. It is also just how empty a loot shooter where the loot is meh feels.

I'm probably gonna play Control, that seems like it would be more fun of a shooty game

Control's fantastic, that's a good choice. Just got its first DLC too, I haven't played it yet but the reviews sound like it's excellent.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try Disco Elysium. I think you'll enjoy its take on pigs.

As for pig games in general it's...frustrating, but I have to do something similar when playing most shooters as they're so often about being a sociopath who would shoot a civilian. The Division is a highlight here of putting up with some insane politics to get at some really interesting level design. Exploring that NYC is so good. Shooting people in hoodies for trying to live in a ruined NYC is bad.
It's more like a "what if the CIA was allowed to operate in-land" game, really.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gigantic new bundle is up. Like 30 games and a bunch of books for $30.

https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Original Soldat is out on Steam now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638490/Soldat/

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

Gigantic new bundle is up. Like 30 games and a bunch of books for $30.

https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle

Jesus, that's 45 games, 25 books, and a music maker app for 30$. And there's legit great games and books in there. I'm getting this as soon as I get home.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Xander77 posted:

Going back to the GTA mission discussion from yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlchFP6pNEU

Ok, I take what I said back. That's definitely worse than the previous installments. (I recommend the entire series btw)

There's absolutely no way I'm watching an hour long video on that. I'll just cut to 10 minutes to see what he's talking about... (40 minutes later) That was hilarious, that level of suffering needs to be applauded.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

It is with great sadness, as someone who played endless hours of SWAT 4 in my teen years, that I realize that I can no longer find it in my heart to play a pig game.

Just pretend you're playing as a revolutionary militia ruthlessly expropriating the deposed ruling class.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Soysaucebeast posted:

Jesus, that's 45 games, 25 books, and a music maker app for 30$. And there's legit great games and books in there. I'm getting this as soon as I get home.
There's actually one more interesting bit about it: it gets you a month's Humble Choice if you don't have one yet. If you're interested in the games already offered, it's a really nice (if somewhat addiction-enabling) bonus.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lightningproof posted:

Just pretend you're playing as a revolutionary militia ruthlessly expropriating the deposed ruling class.

Trying to do this in XCOM 2 really makes one aware of the bizarre soup of aesthetic touchstones and ideological contradictions that make up the world and plot of that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's just a shame that I already have nearly all the games in that bundle that I'd want, because that really is a very good selection. Best I've seen in quite a while.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

It's a really good bundle, yeah, just not for the people that buy a lot of games. I'm not paying $30 for Into the Breach, as good a game as it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anonymous Robot posted:

Trying to do this in XCOM 2 really makes one aware of the bizarre soup of aesthetic touchstones and ideological contradictions that make up the world and plot of that game.

It's only a warcrime if ADVENT does it

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

There's absolutely no way I'm watching an hour long video on that. I'll just cut to 10 minutes to see what he's talking about... (40 minutes later) That was hilarious, that level of suffering needs to be applauded.
The idea, and sticking to it is completely bonkers, holy poo poo :D

But it's great for learning how the game is scripted. Rockstar creates a great illusion that you're fighting this huge onslaught with your two buddies, if you're halfway competent it will be over well before you realize how the spawns and phases work and how your allies aren't helping at all (they're just a way to make the mission harder by being able to die).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

RBA Starblade posted:

It's only a warcrime if ADVENT does it

The closest parallel I can think of to what’s going in in XCOM 2 is like, a mid 90’s Saturday morning cartoon combined with the darker side of Coast to Coast AM. It is, at once, a rejection of capitalist imperialism and a lionization of THE TROOPS.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if anyone doesnt want wizard of legend from that bundle ill toss you a couple bucks for it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Anything in the Just Drive bundle that's worth getting?

Additionally, I thought about picking up the Stardock bundle for Fences and some of the other programs, but I wanted to ask if there are any issues with the software first (half of the programs are just visual effects stuff, so I didn't know if it caused performance issues or anything).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 31, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's just a shame that I already have nearly all the games in that bundle that I'd want, because that really is a very good selection. Best I've seen in quite a while.

Yeah I think I own everything I want out of there on one platform or another, but I'm gonna do it just to have some eventual gifts for friends sitting around. Those are some REALLY good games, and it's 100% to charity

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Max Wilco posted:

Additionally, I thought about picking up for Fences and some of the other programs, but I wanted to ask if there are any issues with the software first (half of the programs are just visual effects stuff, so I didn't know if it caused performance issues or anything).
Fence works fine. It does add a second or two to the window startup time to run itself and drag all the icons into the box. It's great if you are a disorganized icon hoarder and/or need more than a hundred icons on your desktop.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Max Wilco posted:

Anything in the Just Drive bundle that's worth getting?

Additionally, I thought about picking up the Stardock bundle for Fences and some of the other programs, but I wanted to ask if there are any issues with the software first (half of the programs are just visual effects stuff, so I didn't know if it caused performance issues or anything).

Hi, this is your whatever reminder to not give Brad Wardell money, he is a terrible employer and a terrible human being just slide that Stardock slider to the left if you buy this bundle.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Fence works fine. It does add a second or two to the window startup time to run itself and drag all the icons into the box. It's great if you are a disorganized icon hoarder and/or need more than a hundred icons on your desktop.

Is there anything else in the bundle that's worth trying out? Spacemonger seems like it work like a good alternative to WinDirStat.

Hub Cat posted:

Hi, this is your whatever reminder to not give Brad Wardell money, he is a terrible employer and a terrible human being just slide that Stardock slider to the left if you buy this bundle.

No need to remind me.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If you're using WinDirStat you should check out WizTree, it's much faster.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

This is a real protip, by the way. Wiztree goes right into your file system and instead of having to manually record how many files you have and how much space they take up, they just rip the info out of the database your hard drive already maintains even without you asking. It's faster than WinDirStat by a factor of 20, easily. Hubcat, keep recommending this, because I keep forgetting to.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've really been enjoying FFXIV for a while now, even though it can be a bit of a slog with some of its quests. Is it worth trying ESO now that its on sale? I don't know how comparable they are.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A bit late to the party, but I just finished Black Mesa (admittedly purchased as placebo for Doom Eternal) and enjoyed it quite a lot with the exception of one level: Interloper. Whoever decided that the run-up to the final boss is best spent on a more than an hour's worth of loving around with power cables, crates and conveyor belts should not be allowed anywhere near level design ever again. I was pleasantly surprised how they handled most of Xen but I'm pretty confident I will never want to replay this game again because that one level just sucks so much.

e: I mean, Half-Life's final levels were a pain in the rear end but at least they were mercifully short. In Black Mesa, Xen gets away with the extension because it's pretty and Gonarch's Lair gets away with it because it's tense, but by the time you hit Interloper you're just thoroughly sick of it and the generic cave factory visuals you spend most of it on just add to the frustration.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 1, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

This is a real protip, by the way. Wiztree goes right into your file system and instead of having to manually record how many files you have and how much space they take up, they just rip the info out of the database your hard drive already maintains even without you asking. It's faster than WinDirStat by a factor of 20, easily. Hubcat, keep recommending this, because I keep forgetting to.

You aren't loving kidding, I just tried it out and I couldn't count to ten before it finished scanning 1TB. Wow, thanks. And it helped me realize that for some reason I had both the stand-alone downloaded FFXIV installed and the Steam version as well, so that was 27 free gigabytes!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

:drat:, it is fast! Thanks for the recommendation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

You aren't loving kidding, I just tried it out and I couldn't count to ten before it finished scanning 1TB. Wow, thanks. And it helped me realize that for some reason I had both the stand-alone downloaded FFXIV installed and the Steam version as well, so that was 27 free gigabytes!
Glad to help, even if I didn't actually do much of anything!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've really been enjoying FFXIV for a while now, even though it can be a bit of a slog with some of its quests. Is it worth trying ESO now that its on sale? I don't know how comparable they are.

They're not really similar games at all. ESO isn't bad, and if you're just looking to run around questing in Tamriel for a while it'll do the job, but imo it would be better in every way if it wasn't an MMO at all.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah ESO is decent, but it's very much an "Elder Scrolls Lite" game. You'll like it if you like ES games enough that you wouldn't mind one that feels smaller (on a location-to-location basis) and less open-ended and interactive.

E: On the plus side, installing mods is less likely to burn you out before you actually fire up the game!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 1, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You can get plenty of mileage out of ESO by treating it as weird spin-off singleplayer game that happens to have other players running around in it. Definitely not a shortage of stuff to do in it.

I never got to the expansion stuff but I did play most of what was offered in the first pre-expansion version and I'm sure it's all been changed a lot and streamlined since. The main story quest was a decent enough distraction.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

A bit late to the party, but I just finished Black Mesa (admittedly purchased as placebo for Doom Eternal) and enjoyed it quite a lot with the exception of one level: Interloper. Whoever decided that the run-up to the final boss is best spent on a more than an hour's worth of loving around with power cables, crates and conveyor belts should not be allowed anywhere near level design ever again. I was pleasantly surprised how they handled most of Xen but I'm pretty confident I will never want to replay this game again because that one level just sucks so much.

e: I mean, Half-Life's final levels were a pain in the rear end but at least they were mercifully short. In Black Mesa, Xen gets away with the extension because it's pretty and Gonarch's Lair gets away with it because it's tense, but by the time you hit Interloper you're just thoroughly sick of it and the generic cave factory visuals you spend most of it on just add to the frustration.

It's so bad

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bought that bundle cause :eyepop:

What's everyone's must play in it?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Hollow Knight motherfucker!!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Johnny Truant posted:

Lego Batman 3 is gonna be slept on by so many people but especially if you have the controllers for local co-op it's good goofy fun with the entire DCU at your fingertips. It rules.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goferchan posted:

Hollow Knight motherfucker!!

Oh yeah, I already have it for Switch, actually.

Both taken!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 1, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Johnny Truant posted:

hollow knight hollow kni-

Johnny Truant posted:

Who wants a copy of Hollow Knight or of Into the Breach?

oh

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Johnny Truant posted:

Who wants a copy of Hollow Knight or of Into the Breach?

I'll take Into the Breach if no one else wants it. Only thing in that bundle I want that I don't already own.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 1, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The gently caress is Magix? Is there ANOTHER game launching program? Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Agents of Mayhem :hehe:

I do kinda want to try it though. For some reason. I dunno. I'd probably hate it.