Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Rate my fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MetaJew posted:

Rate my fish

Depends on the source of the eels. Ethics in eel sourcing is .... fishy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Good point. The cans say they're from Taiwan. Is best China more responsible with their fisheries?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
east asia in general has a fuckton of illegal, unregulated, unreported fishing but its hardly exclusive to the region

e: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=iuu+fishing
all four of the top hits there are good reads

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Weltlich posted:

Stocking up for the inevitable return to anarchy in 2020, I see.

Smart. You'll feast like a king when the rest of the poor rubes are fighting over a can of beachcliff.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I don't think there any really sustainable fisheries for eels anymore, they're hosed globally. The saury in miso looks good.

In other news, I now have big Crown Prince smoked oysters in olive oil and petite ones from Reese in cottonseed oil, the little ones are much nicer and I will stick with those from now on.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I subscribed to Food Wishes on YouTube & Chef John had this as his new vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXv5OOj9BT4
Kinda want to try this out as canned salmon always seemed like an iffy proposition.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
beachcliff is the hipoint of sardines

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Canned salmon is good. The strange conical cans it comes in are good.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

"In a fit of rage, he drove to the grocery store and got himself a saturday night special, a can of beachcliff in mustard sauce."

Mr. Dick fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 28, 2020

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

(theyre cheap and good and office workers get mad about em online)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OMGVBFLOL posted:

:confused: Looks very well engineered!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

(theyre cheap and good and office workers get mad about em online)

i like beachcliff sardines and will wreck multiple tins in one sitting is what im saying

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They simply work and have a very good warranty.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They're ugly as sin.

I might end up getting a carbine one day though.

I need to 'dine it up soon.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You can't take it with you

but you can find small fish heaven on earth.

It's in Latvia

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Those Riga Gold 'dines are excellent. Tiny, but meaty and flavourful. The smoke flavor might not be to everyone's liking but give them a try. 10/10

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Riga Golds are top tier

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Nice little sardine celery salad write up in NYT today, author has correct opinions on things like red pepper flakes and how good sardines on toast are.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/31/dining/celery-salad-coronavirus.html

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Nice little sardine celery salad write up in NYT today, author has correct opinions on things like red pepper flakes and how good sardines on toast are.

Just made this for lunch, sans the egg, and I can confirm It Is Good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

had some polar kippers since the store was out of ko. good poo poo.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

KO Mackerel in olive oil on top of a cheap rear end Aldi naan bread. Mozzarella, red pepper flakes, furikake, pepper.

Super delish. Mackerel might be my new favorite.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I too am starting to think I like KO mackerel even better than sardines. And I can't even find the lemony kind, just the ones with olives.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
How much time have you spent this week thinking about post apocalyptic preserved fish sourcing?

That goes to all of you, not just the poster above.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been telling everyone that SARDINES ARE BAD DONT EVER EAT THEM so that there will be more for me

naem
May 29, 2011

Zoe posted:

I too am starting to think I like KO mackerel even better than sardines. And I can't even find the lemony kind, just the ones with olives.

you can squirt lemon juice right in there

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
A Facebook friend just sent me this article, knowing my 'dine-loving proclivities.

https://www.tastecooking.com/art-sardine-collecting/

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

A Facebook friend just sent me this article, knowing my 'dine-loving proclivities.

Brb, rotating my sardine cans.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
i like sardines with a little salt pepper and a shake of vinegar on toasted lightly buttered wholegrain bread.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

That article took me on a fun trip around the 'dine side of internet. Here's a blog about sardines and a historical essay about the French sardine industry in the early 1900s: https://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-french-sardine-industry-1901.html

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Guildenstern Mother posted:

pretty good

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Dude has a good looking tattoo.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dinner was fried rice with KO mackerel. Stuck some hot sauce and oyster sauce on that and have a very flavorful dinner. If I added garlic I could quarantine without self quarantining.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My dinner tonight was a can of KO Mediterranean style dines. I'm not brave enough to take them to work and be that guy but these really would be a perfect mid day pick me up.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Social distancing says be that guy

be that guy with the little dine kit that has a seafood fork, a napkin, a tin of dines, crackers, and hot sauce

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I ate a can of KO sardines in the parking lot of a Chevron gas station today

I keep a sardine fork in my car

and bottled water to wash it off

it is a good system

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Honestly that's the best way to social distance. Might actually do that tomorrow. Plus a sandwich baggie cause my wife makes me seal up my empty tins/lid before I throw them away. Fair enough I say.

Why do 'dines and beer go so well together?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It's not fair, but it's also not the hill worth dying on of wifely relations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I sometimes regret not taking the KO sardine fork when I won a contest on their FB page. I think I took a kitchen apron, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
As a late night snack I had a slice of this pain de campagna I baked with these Moroccan dines in tomato sauce. The sauce was definitely not very saucy, or good. I masked the flavor some hot sauce.