Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hold the shoulder buttons to stifle a sneeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I went grocery shopping today and maybe I'm agoraphobic now lol

I have done one thing this morning and am already tired, time to lie down and watch a stream or something

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Colonel, I'm trying to sneak around but I'm dummy sick and the clap from my lungs keeps alerting the guards

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
last night I spent like five hours in satisfactory building a giant factory that, it turns out, does not work. At all. Because smart splitters are, despite their name, extremely dumb and bad

I managed to get to a point where all the major blockages were temporarily dealt with (ideally I'd just get to a point where I have a few hundred of the items I'm trying to produce, at least, as a start) and then it turned out that when the entire factory was working all at once, instead of suffering blockages in half a dozen places, it overloaded my power grid. At which point I went to sleep

I already know how I'm gonna fix it but it involves doing things the slow way a little bit longer until I can research trains, at which point I will tear everything down and try again, but this time with more trains and fewer smart splitters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm reasonably certain this is the intended Satisfactory experience

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

more like an... unsatisfactory experience

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh speaking of factory games, good company came out today. i'm gonna buy it!!! eagerly await my opinions

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is satisfactory the game where you crash onto a planet and have to completely destroy its ecosystem in order to build a rocket so you can escape?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No, that's Infinifactory

it's actually factorio

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no, its the game where you crash onto a planet and completely destroy its ecosystem to satisfy your corporate overlord

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

Is satisfactory the game where you crash onto a planet and have to completely destroy its ecosystem in order to build a rocket so you can escape?

No thats subnautica

I dont believe satisfactory has an actual endpoint yet (it's still early access) so no rockets. You do completely destroy the ecosystem in your pursuit of ever more resources though yeah

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Factorio is what I was thinking of

Subnautica has you fixing the ecosystem

I remember a friend of mine not wanting to play Factorio because while they liked the idea of building big industrial automated lines for stuff, they were uncomfortable with the idea of playing it since they thought that everything you did in the game was bad and negative and they thought that the game was supporting deforestation, anti-environmentalism, and the destruction of the ecosystem. Basically they didn't want to play a game that is very much so a critique of the destruction of nature because they thought that the game was actually promoting it.

Admittedly I haven't played factorio either but basically everything I've ever seen about it comes off as a critique of that stuff and not in support of it at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a bug planet its okay to gently caress it up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, speaking of games about building up automated systems to do poo poo for you, I wish Castle Story had turned out better. It looked like a neat game in the same style as stuff like Dwarf Fortress but I guess it was just kinda buggy or broken when it was released and I'm not sure if it is even finished or not.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Factorio is what I was thinking of

Subnautica has you fixing the ecosystem

I remember a friend of mine not wanting to play Factorio because while they liked the idea of building big industrial automated lines for stuff, they were uncomfortable with the idea of playing it since they thought that everything you did in the game was bad and negative and they thought that the game was supporting deforestation, anti-environmentalism, and the destruction of the ecosystem. Basically they didn't want to play a game that is very much so a critique of the destruction of nature because they thought that the game was actually promoting it.

Admittedly I haven't played factorio either but basically everything I've ever seen about it comes off as a critique of that stuff and not in support of it at all.

Poe’s law and all that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there needs to be more games like subnautica/terraria

i like games where you start out small, build up a little base, go out and get stuff and fight stuff, bring it back and build yourself up, then go out further/deeper. but i also like goal-oriented games rather than endless ones

DQ builders was good for this because you were given concrete goals and were building up a town, and it followed that formula of letting you explore more and more as your town got bigger

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the closest factorio really comes to critique of pollution is one the bugs don't like it when you pollute and that attracts them to your factory (so you build a bunch of guns to shoot the bugs problem solved), and also coal and oil are finite resources so you eventually have to take on the burden of going out and finding new fields to extract and transport to your base if you aren't going solar

but really its final statement is "this isn't earth who cares gently caress it up", its definitely not an environmentalist game

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

homeless snail posted:

I use this excuse for Earth.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

humble just put up a ridiculous bundle w everything going to help orgs fighting covid:

https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle

bunch of really really good games, bunch of books, and a month of humble choice. the new month of choice rolls over in two days if youre not into whats up for this month and this bundle is on for a week so you can wait and grab next months for free instead

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

does anyone know if the villager in your campsite will get replaced. i dont think i can progress until i recruit someone from a campsite and the guy there right now sucks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah factorio is definitely not pro-environment at all

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sharrrk posted:

does anyone know if the villager in your campsite will get replaced. i dont think i can progress until i recruit someone from a campsite and the guy there right now sucks
idk if they do or not, but just recruit them and make them leave later, you gotta have bodies in your town to progress anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to replace my boring hen lady with the kickin rad insect-collecting dragon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
kids these days have it too easy, you just tattle to isabelle and she puts the offending loser in a boat and shoves them off

back in my day you had to tolerate dud villagers while you beat them daily with a net and sent them offensive and threatening notes

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

idk if they do or not, but just recruit them and make them leave later, you gotta have bodies in your town to progress anyway

getting people to leave is a pain and i dont want to ever look at this guy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways I believe the intended emotional response to Satisfactory is mounting frustration followed by the intense satisfaction of removing that frustration and drat it's going to be satisfying to conquer this one

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Look, if y'all gonna play Animal Crossing like a loving landlord at least get paid for it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sharrrk posted:

getting people to leave is a pain and i dont want to ever look at this guy

you have to to progress but also removing villagers is way easier this time once you have 10

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got kabuki now, he's cool

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Stux posted:

you have to to progress but also removing villagers is way easier this time once you have 10

ok this is good to know

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

more like covidfefe amirite

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as someone who's not tapped into the animal crossing zeitgeist preferring one colorful cartoon animal villager over another is incomprehensible to me. do they give you different resources if you have the right ones or something?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

as someone who's not tapped into the animal crossing zeitgeist preferring one colorful cartoon animal villager over another is incomprehensible to me. do they give you different resources if you have the right ones or something?
they have different personalities, and some of them are real uggos while others are sick robot frogs or takoyaki octopuses

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Some of them are cool and others drool

e:f,b

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My clothing shop is selling Bruce Lee’s iconic outfit from Enter the Dragon today, however my Nintendo online trial has ended so, sorry, maybe I’ll renew it before the store closes in five hours

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/yumecaty/status/1241868202272944128

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

ac really isnt about resources, it kind of is early on especially with this one but its a long form game and the main focus is chilling with animal friends and decorating

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm beginning to think i'm not animal crossing's target audience for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I first heard the name "animal crossing", not knowing anything about what you actually do in the game, I assumed it was about creating horrifying genetic abominations