Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I decided to watch my Don Hertzfeldt bluray since I'm working from home and hour breaks are awesome. I looked up what he did after that came out, which was just World Of Tomorrow 2. That came out in 2018, and that seems to be it. He doesn't seem to be on any social media, and his website (Bitter Films) now just goes to a domain squatter page. Does anyone know if he's up to anything now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

IUG posted:

I decided to watch my Don Hertzfeldt bluray since I'm working from home and hour breaks are awesome. I looked up what he did after that came out, which was just World Of Tomorrow 2. That came out in 2018, and that seems to be it. He doesn't seem to be on any social media, and his website (Bitter Films) now just goes to a domain squatter page. Does anyone know if he's up to anything now?

He’s on Twitter. Per November last year he said there would be a short film coming out this year, but no other details I could see (also not sure if the current state of things is putting that on hold).

He also put out a book last year.

dirksteadfast fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 31, 2020

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Good news, everyone! Netflix is making a Dragons Lair movie based on the hit animated arcade game!

With Ryan Reynolds.

Also it's live action.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only good part about that is Ryan Reynolds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Good news, everyone! Netflix is making a Dragons Lair movie based on the hit animated arcade game!

With Ryan Reynolds.

Also it's live action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRffez98uYY

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Cool World is a movie that I'm pretty sure I never want to see, and yet a lot of the (non-sexy lady) artwork is legit cool. Like I would want that, even just as a print, hanging on my wall.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pretty sure I watched it as a kid and didnt know what the gently caress was going on.

Also played the SNES game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm not gonna lie I was hesitant to post at first because I didn't know if you were going to keep it going :v:

ConfusedUs posted:

What’s this?

The Blu-Ray has an alternative cut of the film where they integrate some of the various deleted scenes that were cut for time/pacing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Blu-Ray has an alternative cut of the film where they integrate some of the various deleted scenes that were cut for time/pacing.
It's basically a bizzaro version of Spiderverse because it really is an entirely different film. Miles has Ganke with him throughout, he's not bitten while with Uncle Aaron, etc

It's really a look at what a previous draft of the film would have been like.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Cool World is a movie that I'm pretty sure I never want to see, and yet a lot of the (non-sexy lady) artwork is legit cool. Like I would want that, even just as a print, hanging on my wall.

brad pitt's finest role tbh

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's been a while since I've seen Heavy Traffic, but the first time I did I was genuinely taken off guard by the scene of the mom looking at old pictures and being unable to recognize her younger self in a photo. It was such a real moment of pathos for a character that up until that point had been just another source for violent gag humor (not that I'm above violent gag humor, it's just that you don't expect Daffy Duck to be trying to kill Bugs Bunny in one scene and then sincerely lamenting his lost youth in the next).

That's one of those movie moments that's stuck with me and probably will for the rest of my life.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I enjoyed Cool World for the animation alone, it's not a good movie but for me at least it was a movie that was fun to watch (and I really wish the version that Ralph Bakshi originally envisioned, which was way more of a horror movie, existed because it sounds like it would have been my kind of strawberry jam).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

IUG posted:

https://twitter.com/lou_kicks/status/1242538876373213184?s=21

I thought It’s Such a Beautiful Day was Don’s magnum opus, then he went and did World of Tomorrow.

And yes, you can find Don on Twitter. He’s hanging in there as good as the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/donhertzfeldt/status/1240685731804106753?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finally! Buttholes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx0NLGcL6pI

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thanks, I hate it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Heavy Traffic, but the first time I did I was genuinely taken off guard by the scene of the mom looking at old pictures and being unable to recognize her younger self in a photo. It was such a real moment of pathos for a character that up until that point had been just another source for violent gag humor (not that I'm above violent gag humor, it's just that you don't expect Daffy Duck to be trying to kill Bugs Bunny in one scene and then sincerely lamenting his lost youth in the next).

That's one of those movie moments that's stuck with me and probably will for the rest of my life.

Bakshi in a nutshell, I feel like. Fritz the Cat has a very similar moment where, after a lot of jokes and Fritz basically bumbling around Harlem like an idiot, one of the most sympathetic characters gets shot and everything just stops as we witness his last few moments and hear his final heartbeats, synced to shots of pool balls falling into their pockets paralleling how he was introduced and gently caress that scene knocked me out of my goddamn chair.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.slashfilm.com/minions-the-rise-of-gru-release-date/

Minions: The Rise of Gru has been changed from July 3, 2020 to July 2, 2021.

Because of this move, Sing 2 will now release on December 22, 2021 instead of July 2nd.

This shuffling has pushed Wicked off the calendar.

EDIT: Updated the OP a bit. Don't know if I should remove the past movies section... I'm leaning towards yes cause then it wouldn't feel so cluttered?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yeah that scene hit me too

she's definitely one of my all-time favourite cartoon moms lol. i wish someone had introduced me to bakshi's stuff when i was a kid, it would have helped me make sense of a lot

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
A few weeks ago (in the Before Times) I was writing an article about “Jewishness” in cartoons and animation, and how the Jewish-American influence on cartoons and animation gradually faded away in the second half of the 20th century as Disney swallowed everything up.

There’s a cultural through line in Bakshi’s stuff that is also present in the Fleischer studios work, its specific to Jewish immigrants in New York and the ethnic interaction between that community and the other ethnic groups of America (immigrants, African Americans, broader “white” society).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every screenshot in the film with Brad Pitt has this forgotten 90s adventure game look to it. The film is absolutely terrible but at least it remind me of a fun genre of games

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://deadline.com/2020/04/top-gu...day-1202898738/

Spongebob delayed to July 31, 2020.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Barudak posted:

Every screenshot in the film with Brad Pitt has this forgotten 90s adventure game look to it. The film is absolutely terrible but at least it remind me of a fun genre of games

It really does.

And I can't even appreciate the animation like some people do because characters like Holli are too jittery, as if Bakshi's loving terrified of letting his cartoon hold still for five loving seconds, and the background animations are very short, obvious loops at best, or outright distracting from the main action.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't realize Spongebob was even so close to release in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

That's absolutely the vibe I got too.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Just popping in to say that Spies in Disguise low-key owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

Just popping in to say that Spies in Disguise low-key owns.

I freakin told you guys!!!! you never listen!!!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Removed the poster images for the past movies to make things a little less...busy, I guess?

I might remove the posters for all of them and just keep the links if there are trailers. I dunno.

I kind of like the poster idea but sometimes it's a lot to scroll through.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Animation 2020: See you in 2021!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Animation 2020: See you in 2021!

Animation 2020: admit it, you watched Trolls World Tour, drunk, by yourself

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Animation 2020: admit it, you watched Trolls World Tour, drunk, by yourself

Hey! I didn't come here to be judged!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love the original Trolls so honestly World Tour is like one of the only good things I'm tentatively hoping happens this year

:suicide:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's just that I LITERALLY watched a leak of Trolls 2 last night alone (not drunk though, because I have no alcohol left) so, yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
How many people watch Troll 2 by accident

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I admit I've never been able to sit through all of Cool World, but the thing that always stood out most to me is how the film just feels... filthy. I don't mean adult or sexual, even though it obviously is, but it's the cinematic experience equivalent of... I dunno, drinking curdled milk out of a used ashtray. Even Bakshi's more infamous stuff didn't give me nearly the same reaction. I don't remotely like the experience or the film, but it's definitely memorable due to that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to stress Cool World is just a complete narrative mess, intermixing interminable setup with frantic mcguffin introductions in service of plot. The script feels like Bakshi's art, unable to sit still but not doing anything with all its motion. Also if you think Brad Pitt has like, anything to do with the movie, guess what you're wrong!

Noctropolis, thats the point and click it reminds me of a lot.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Now for something different:
So with the whole Covid stay at home thing kids here have been getting homeschooled. We have tried to make the environment and structure as close to what my son gets at school and that apparently includes watching a cartoon during lunch. I wish I had a teacher like that when I was young. :(
Anyway cartoons he has apparently seen/been watching with his teacher:
The Smurfs
Captain underpants
Archibald's Next Big Thing

I've grown pretty fond of Archibald's Next Big Thing actually.
It's all very happy and upbeat and tries to teach kids something while never really lingering on it or making an entire episode hinge on it.
It's very enjoyable and it's on Netflix. So if your kid is looking for something to watch, I recommend it. It's just a fun little Saturday morning cartoon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

It's just that I LITERALLY watched a leak of Trolls 2 last night alone (not drunk though, because I have no alcohol left) so, yeah.

Thank you for the subtle nod that there is a leak out there. Bless

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How many people watch Troll 2 by accident

My friend actually did think I was talking about Troll 2 when I told her I was watching Trolls 2. Sometimes I forget I'm an adult and my other adult friends aren't as big into cartoons as I am.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Family entertainment is not the same as children's entertainment, per se, and I think that's forgotten.

Kid's entertainment = telebuddies, Sophia the First, Dora the explorer
Family entertainment = Toy Story, Grave of the Fireflies, The Last Unicorn, Where the Wild Things Are, lamb chop

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I saw Onward on Disney+ since they released it early.

It was ok, probably not going to be the most memorable Pixar film,

I half expected at the end the top half of their dad would be around for an additional 24 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watched Onward tonight with my fiancé, we both cried :h:

I really really liked it. The whole brotherly love theme really touched me.

It'll probably be in my top 5 Pixar movies for a while. (Ratatouille, Inside Out, Coco, Monsters Inc and Onward right now, but Wall-E could also dip in and take Monsters Inc's spot depending on how I feel any given day)