Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If you're Khun's friend he will protect you from as much as he can and even if you lose use he won't abandon you without making you comfortable and as happy as he can.

If you are his enemy, he will use any and all tricks to ruin you, your life, your friends, and everything you stand for. Even if this means being the kind of monster his friends would never approve of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In short, I love him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Reiche posted:

Yeah Khun strikes me as very mafioso in that he treats his friends and allies like family and is willing to sacrifice for them but anyone and mostly everyone else is an enemy or a means to some end.

I think the person who does all the shady poo poo for the hero and is extremely good at it is like an archetype in this sort of story, probably drawing mostly from Romance of the Three Kingdoms or other classics.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I mean White seems to think he could take on Kallavan if he had his full power restored. That's a pretty big dang way to turn the fight. White's shown a whole lot of bad judgement/overestimation of himself but he fought Big K before so it's not like he's disillusioned about his power.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-55-bonus/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=473

Baam, meet Viole???

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 30, 2020

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean White seems to think he could take on Kallavan if he had his full power restored. That's a pretty big dang way to turn the fight. White's shown a whole lot of bad judgement/overestimation of himself but he fought Big K before so it's not like he's disillusioned about his power.

Well, he did at one point collect the souls/power of literally billions of people, so.. yeah?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Seeing the little SIU blurb about them all looking at their anime versions got me all nostalgic. Yeah, Rak, you were scary in season 1!

Hirethor posted:

Well, he did at one point collect the souls/power of literally billions of people, so.. yeah?

He's like an evil spirit bomb.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

The Tower of God Anime premieres tomorrow at 7am PT on CrunchyRoll, everyone!

I'm quite excited for this. Still very surreal for me that this korean webcomic I randomly picked up a decade ago somehow found its way to getting an anime.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Same here. I picked it up when it first started getting translated and it’s been reliably phenomenal ever since. I never really believed it would get an anime.

I’m struggling to think of the last anime I was so hyped for. Maybe One Punch Man S1 but c’mon I’ve been waiting 10 years for this!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The most important question I have is if Alligator’s voice will change in chibi form.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I'm conflicted which way I would like more. Hearing chibi Rak or hearing deep gruff Rak in chibi body.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Gologle posted:

I'm conflicted which way I would like more. Hearing chibi Rak or hearing deep gruff Rak in chibi body.

What if they went for one voice for both forms and it's chibi?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Here it is for anyone looking for it: https://www.crunchyroll.com/tower-o...cr_carousel_tog

I thought it was very, very good. Pacing was pretty loving breakneck as they crammed as much content as they could. A couple of small details were glossed over (like Yuri and Evan's bickering before they get to Baam) but that seems ideal so they can get to the real meat of season 1 sooner. Voice acting was stellar and it looked good. Got high hopes going forward. My biggest complaint is the ED is just credits and OP is kind of...stilted bouncing back and forth between featureless credit scenes and vague animation. But I don't care that much about OPs and EDs anyhow.

I'm sure this won't have a big enough following for its own thread so I'm going to avoid spoiling any season 1 stuff while it's still airing if I can just in case anyone walks in here because of the anime.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 1, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Weird choice to go with non-regular when the word irregular exists.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah, doubly so since they used Irregular in the trailer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Huh, that covered 6 chapters, which would put them exactly at the end of season 1 if they keep it up for 13 episodes.

it didn't feel too rushed, but I want to say there's more dialog and such in later chapters so they may end up making more significant cuts if that's the goal.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 1, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

One of my favorite bits is how they copied everyone's favorite floor 1 scene shot by shot:

https://imgur.com/a/8bFMjwn

edit: Also Baam eating some loving grass because he has no idea what grass is is an A+ inclusion.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 1, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

Huh, that covered 6 chapters, which would put them exactly at the end of season 1 if they keep it up for 13 episodes.

it didn't feel too rushed, but I want to say there's more dialog and such in later chapters so they may end up making more significant cuts if that's the goal.

An obvious one is the one I mentioned, but I think a LOT of the dialogue can kind of be seen as redundant. You don't need a reminder of similar info in a 13 week anime that you do in a ...70 something week manwha. I think the stuff they cut is going to be mentioned later in this episode, and some of the stuff they cut even us manwha readers still don't know poo poo about (Hello Phantaminium and how Yuri knew Bam was there!).

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read this series in forever but hearing about the anime got me interested in watching.

I quite like the animation style, it fits the art style of the webtoon. The voice acting is good, bit of getting used to Bahm being called Yoru but that's just something to get used to. The pace though, I really hope they'll slow down a bit. The start of the second test at least seemed like it was on pace?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Freaksaus posted:

I haven't read this series in forever but hearing about the anime got me interested in watching.

I quite like the animation style, it fits the art style of the webtoon. The voice acting is good, bit of getting used to Bahm being called Yoru but that's just something to get used to. The pace though, I really hope they'll slow down a bit. The start of the second test at least seemed like it was on pace?

There's a whole lot of content to fit into 13 episodes. So I'm guessing the pace is going to be fast with bits cut regardless. It's a shame they couldn't do bigger format 24 episode season and basically keep everything in but I'm not really complaining. A fast pace is probably good for newcomers anyhow.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I sort of expect them to end the season at the end of floor 2 since it was the end of the actual season in the webtoon.

It's also, obviously, an incredibly good point to end since it makes you want to see what the poo poo happens next.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

It's essentially got to cover 6-7 chapters an episode which doesn't seem impossible. Just got to cut some chaff.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 1, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the style they're going with, it feels better in motion than I may have expected based on the PVs.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Episode was okay. Not especially impressive in terms of production values but it's still a heck of a lot prettier than the webtoon's early art lol. They definitely skipped a lot of incidental moments for the sake of fitting it all into the one episode, but for the most part I'd say they did a decent enough job of not making it seem rushed. Yuri just kinda showing up out of nowhere seemed kinda awkward though, I can get why they skipped the bit of her and Evan running to Baam but I can definitely see a lot of anime-only viewers being like "who the gently caress is this chick and why the gently caress is she here." Feel like they could have at least spared like 5 seconds to just show her going "yo Evan an irregular opened the door let's go check it out" just to make it a bit less awkward.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Episode was good. Completely ready for the rise of our glorious leader to come.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Things that they added brand new that I love:

Black March's design. I know SIU's art was kind of rough at the beginning, but even during later arcs Black March doesn't look as cool as she does here.

Bam eating grass because of course he doesn't loving know what grass is and assumed it was edible. It was like a 5 second addition and it had me rolling.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Outside of the choice in music for the opening. I can dig the art style they are going for here as it tries to capture early ToG while also being very arthouse. Might stick around for more than the first 3.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'll likely watch all of it what with the pandemic

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I had low expectations cause I wasn't sure I liked the animation, it seemed kinda rough in the trailers. Really liked the episode, hope they stay faithful enough all through the season!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I really liked the artstyle and the voices.´
The story feels a little compressed but i get that some things don't translate as well from medium to medium, and have to be trimmed, as well as having to deal with time and budgetary constraints.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-56/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=474

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not sure who the smug sniper is supposed to be drawing a bead on. White?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Evankhell I think? Not very sure

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ubiquitus posted:

Evankhell I think? Not very sure

Evankhell, I am fairly sure given all the "Rage around imma gonna cap you soon"

White is chilling in a room gathering all those souls for power.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can't wait to see what Yoru is gonna do next!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Episode 2 is out: https://www.crunchyroll.com/tower-of-god/episode-2-3400-three-four-hundredths-794520

Which also means episode 1 is free for anyone waiting on that.

edit:

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 8, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Much better episode than the first, if only because Bam's introduction to Khun and Rak is a really fun set of moments.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I forget this fact because I've grown used to the designs after following the story for years, but Rak looks so cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

After so long it's always neat to see the first moment that you realize baam is actually something deeply, deeply unusual again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
I'll probably keep quiet about it after this and let people enjoy things, but I watched the first 5min of the anime adaption and think it's awful. /shrug