Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Lone Goat posted:

None of your blue cards are good enough to make me stay in it, it's either Hero or Mire's Grasp here. If you're going to take a blue card I'd go with Gull over Callaphe, she sucks. I need to see the draft to find out what happened in pack 1. If you had 17lands installed before you started you can share a draft that's still in progress.

Also big fat fuckin lol at LSVs day 0 ratings that has Callaphe and Aracnir higher than Hero, Wayfarer and Gull. Just turn those off at this point, they're not helpful.

Thanks! I installed 17lands in the middle of this, so this is all I have.

Things came together a bit more. Not expecting to get past three wins with this, just have to make some difficult cuts. With only 13 creatures I don't feel like I can afford to cut even the garbage like Rumbling Sentry.

Feel like the cuts are 1 Mogis' Favor, 1 Minion's Return, and maybe 1 Funeral Rites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Darox posted:

That reads like the Goblin player didn't know how to pilot their deck, not white cats being strong. Goblins never want to engage in actual combat, so if their engine gets going your giant lifelinker won't do anything unless it has flying. They just chump block with goblins that aren't part of the discount/mana/siege commander engine and then sac them to throw at the opponents face.

yes this is correct, he could have easily won had he started swinging all-out earlier (just reserving a dude to chump and sac with) and left a prospector on board at all times for free sacs. as i said, i think the goblin deck is the best. that said, the cat deck has the advantage of gaining tons of life, and if there's no death baron the black deck can't remove any cats.

i'd rank the decks red -> black -> white -> green, i've had great success with black. huge difference with and without death baron, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mike N Eich posted:

i like the idea of these Precon events, especially for decks that are allowed to break the rules and such, but the ones they've done so far have been so Bland and Vanilla and also super Unbalanced. if you're gonna do unbalanced crazy shenanigans, cool! Lets do it, but its boring to watch my opponent chain 4 Return of the Wildspeaker and cast 23 Llanowar Elves followed by an End-Raze Boars, that isn't fun
Why is it boring? There is an above 50% chance that green fails to draw that Boar and rage quits.

On the other hand, literally all my wins against the red deck were situations where my opponent obviously had lethal, but failed to capitalise.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Somberbrero posted:

Things came together a bit more. Not expecting to get past three wins with this, just have to make some difficult cuts. With only 13 creatures I don't feel like I can afford to cut even the garbage like Rumbling Sentry.

Feel like the cuts are 1 Mogis' Favor, 1 Minion's Return, and maybe 1 Funeral Rites.

I think you gotta play the 17th land since you have so many high drops. Hell you might even want the Altar?

The second Seninel's Eyes isn't very good since its main application is to be a psuedo equipment, white has no other escape cards below mythic rare but you got Favor and Pharika's Spawn to use the graveyard.

Keep Mogis' Favor, you got a bunch of little shitters like Transcendant Envoy/Thaumaturge's Familiar that need the boost, and sometimes you can randomly pop off an x/1.

One Minion's Return with Lagonna-Band Storyteller is cute but you definitely don't need two.

You got so many random big fat idiots I'm thinking Wings of Hubris might even fit here? You're scraping for playables and I think it'll help win more games than a doofus 1 power flier.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Now that I'm looking at the draft, blue was wide open in pack 3 so I'm really curious what happened in pack 1. I guess we'll never know :shrug:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Somberbrero posted:

One Eyes, one LIbation, one Return, one Familiar out, Wings or Altar in.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
For some reason I keep running into people that seem to get really mad and rage quit when I block their attacks with zombies and then after blockers are declared use Cryptbreaker to tap the blocking creatures to draw cards. :laugh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Paul Zuvella posted:

The green deck is by far the worst one, so consider yourself lucky that you got to see it do anything at all.

by card draw alone it's better than the white. i spewed my whole hand by turn 3 most games and welp that's it. suprised they didnt put in the enchantment that lets you pay 2 for a card when you gain life. would have fit in well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah this one went well:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/8c5f2aed78a247de9d42d1a84308d9d2

2/0 so far. Feel free to comment but imma keep playing.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah this one went well:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/8c5f2aed78a247de9d42d1a84308d9d2

2/0 so far. Feel free to comment but imma keep playing.

I would play the amulet over a land and also probably cut the eidolon and flicker for leonin of the lost pride and Dawn Evangel I think

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wezlar posted:

I would play the amulet over a land and also probably cut the eidolon and flicker for leonin of the lost pride and Dawn Evangel I think

Amulet is a thought, Eidolon has already been super useful for the reload in draggy games, and I ended up cutting the Hoplite, 2-2 and counting.

E:2-3. Bit of a bugger, one more win would have been another draft, but the last one was an interesting UB self-mill that recurred Thassa's Oracle for the win, and hit me with counterspells I probably shouldn't have let them hit me with quite as many of. I was a bit off form on that one, but also didn't find my fliers quite quickly enough.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 31, 2020

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I have been having fun just playing goofy decks in standard ranked. It's really nice to play what appears to be a normal mono black graveyard deck and then Blood for Bones out an Impervious Greatwurm on turn 4.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

lmao my first 5 games have been meme-y cat bullshit vs pioneer zombie tribal

its not even close, you can tell by looking at the decklists

cat deck needs a lord, and to replace 3 lands with 3 cats.

0-6 with cats, someone at mtg arena loving HATES white

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 31, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fiddled with my Niv-Mizzet deck and have really tuned it for maximum grumpiness of my opponents. Also got 7 cards off my Dragon today, felt really good, OP

Commander
1 Niv-Mizzet Reborn (WAR) 208

Deck
1 Absorb (RNA) 151
1 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
1 Ionize (GRN) 179
1 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
1 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Chromatic Lantern (GRN) 233
1 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
1 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
1 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
1 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
1 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
1 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
1 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
1 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Mortify (RNA) 192
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths (THB) 209
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse (THB) 208
1 The Royal Scions (ELD) 199
1 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
1 Bedevil (RNA) 157
1 Leyline Prowler (WAR) 202
1 Golgari Findbroker (GRN) 175
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
1 Cindervines (RNA) 161
1 Solar Blaze (WAR) 216
1 Tome of the Guildpact (RNA) 242
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
1 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
1 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
1 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Island (UND) 90
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
1 Plains (UND) 88
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
1 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
1 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
1 Swamp (UND) 92
1 Guildmages' Forum (GRN) 250
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246
1 Forest (UND) 96
1 Mountain (UND) 94
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bust Rodd posted:

Fiddled with my Niv-Mizzet deck and have really tuned it for maximum grumpiness of my opponents. Also got 7 cards off my Dragon today, felt really good, OP

How do you go from complaining about Golos even more than I did to gleefully playing the next most oppressive commander after Golos finally got banned

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

I've been playing this deck and having a good time. Just doing okay, I think my record so far is 2-2, 4-1, and 2-2, but it's been fun. I've got a handle on most of the matchups, but what the hell are you supposed to do about Selesnya Auras? Granted I think most decks would struggle to handle that much hexproof, but still. Is there any answer or is that just Card Games?

also, do you think there's a place for Epicure of Blood in this list? Feels like it could be a very strong closer. Oh, and I swapped out one Forever Young for one Silverflame Ritual. Not sure if it's the right call, but Forever Young feels like a dead card for how often I see it and sometimes you just need a little bit of gas to get across the finish line.

Unfortunately I think I played the deck in a bit of a sweetspot, with more people durdling as opposed to optimizing their Aura or Flyer lists. I dunno what changes I would make, maybe Pharika's Libation for auras?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Wafflecopper posted:

How do you go from complaining about Golos even more than I did to gleefully playing the next most oppressive commander after Golos finally got banned

he's not playing nicol bolas

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wafflecopper posted:

Niv-Mizzet doesn’t fix your mana while canceling out Commander Tax and also provide a game ending Mana Sink. It’s not comparable.

I’m not saying it’s not an exhausting list of unfun removal and backbreaking control finishers that fundamentally fly in the face of Magic as Richard Garfield intended... but Golos basically broke multiple rules all on its own while also providing its own inevitable endgame.

Niv also requires a severe deck building restriction. Kenrith and Golos literally do not care what the other 59 cards are.

Edit: What are your thoughts on Leyline Prowler vs Firemind’s Vessel? I’m preferring Prowler ATM because I like little dudes but it’s also basically useless off of Niv...

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 1, 2020

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

STiL. posted:

Unfortunately I think I played the deck in a bit of a sweetspot, with more people durdling as opposed to optimizing their Aura or Flyer lists. I dunno what changes I would make, maybe Pharika's Libation for auras?

I've give Pharika's a shot, might swap out the Silverflames for it. I put in Epicure to replace the Lazotep's and it feels really good.

I don't think it's a bad deck, I win most of my Izzet matchups and that's probably the deck to beat after Auras.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Niv-Mizzet doesn’t fix your mana while canceling out Commander Tax and also provide a game ending Mana Sink. It’s not comparable.

My post wasn't entirely serious but he does refill your hand every time you cast him which means commander tax is a pretty trivial issue for what you get out of it. Kenrith is probably worse though yeah, especially when my Kenrith opponents always seem to have Fires on curve and I never draw my enchantment removal.

flatluigi posted:

he's not playing nicol bolas

Weirdly I haven't had much trouble with Nicky B but that's probably just what I'm playing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have a couple of Brawl questions:

1) Is Brawl still free to play right now or do you have to pay for it still? (I thought I heard something about it being free right now)
2) What is a good "entry level" Brawl deck? I'm torn between Yarok, Torbran and Nikya.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

1) Is Brawl still free to play right now or do you have to pay for it still? (I thought I heard something about it being free right now)

free til April 16, there's an event called BRAWLER'S GUILDHALL in the play options

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wafflecopper posted:

My post wasn't entirely serious but he does refill your hand every time you cast him which means commander tax is a pretty trivial issue for what you get out of it.
Niv literally cannot draw you lands though, so if your mana isn’t already perfect then you’re a little boned. Most of my tweaks and tuning was cutting the most color hungry cards that had multiple instances of the same colored pips.

SalTheBard posted:

2) What is a good "entry level" Brawl deck? I'm torn between Yarok, Torbran and Nikya.

Brawl is free all month.

Torb is definitely the best starter deck, Yarok is extremely versatile and you can build her in several very distinct ways (Big Mana, Value, Elementals, Constellation). Nikya would probably be frustrating unless you have all the janky rare removal/fight creatures already crafted.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Niv literally cannot draw you lands though, so if your mana isn’t already perfect then you’re a little boned. Most of my tweaks and tuning was cutting the most color hungry cards that had multiple instances of the same colored pips.

If you can cast Niv in the first place you already have your colours sorted. Yeah you still need to get more lands to pay the tax but if you resolved him in the first place you have a full hand of other poo poo to play until you draw more land.

SalTheBard posted:

I've had a lot of fun with my Nikya deck but it's definitely not on the level of Yarok or probably even Torbran. It's pretty much just worse Nissa tbh. You get to feel cool for winning with off-meta jank when you do win though, which I'm all about

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

Nikya would probably be frustrating unless you have all the janky rare removal/fight creatures already crafted.

I was looking at some Nikya decks and yeah, I don't think I have the wild cards for it.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

As a newbie I'm just wondering about enchantments, they seem a bit overpowered due to being quite difficult to remove compared to almost everything else.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

As a newbie I'm just wondering about enchantments, they seem a bit overpowered due to being quite difficult to remove compared to almost everything else.

they don't do much against a board of creatures beating you down, and often do nothing on the turn you play them

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Torbran is almost to strong. I think it leads to boring games.
Yarok is probably the strongest of the fun to play commanders.

My favourite brawl decks are Judith and Teyesa. They are both in the starter decks (I think) and make for fun combos.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My favourites:
- Haktos: Invulnerable unblockable rear end in a top hat
- Torbran: It's Just Monored Aggro
- Bladewing: Ramp into Giant Dragons
- Garruk: Sacrifice into Huge Trampling Everything (not actually a good deck though, it's my worst performing one by quite a long way except possibly Bladewing who still doesn't show up in Unt.gg tracking)
- Huatli: get value from using low-power high-toughness creatures and on demand High Alert
- Trostani Discordants: (though honestly you could do this deck with any Selesnya coloured Commander, there really aren't all that many, but Discordants is useful just because it protects a bit from Thassa Agent in long games) It's Just Big Selesnya, aiming to jam up the ground and the air and finish with Overcome, Forerunners, Bond of Discipline or similar.

I should probably look at other colours but I've been pretty happy with this set of options as a varied and interesting set of gameplay in styles I both like and am good at.

Not including Bladewing my overall Brawl performance is at about 57% wins, and the best one (Huatli) is at 70%. E: or was 13 days ago, I don't think Unt.gg has been recording my brawl results since the free Guildhall dropped.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

lemonadesweetheart posted:

there's a concept called 'the color pie' which in essence means that every color should have things they're good at compared to other colors, and similarly should have weaknesses. this wanes and waxes depending on the set (and sometimes there are issues with colors getting too generally good) but it stays fairly consistent in recent years.

one of the most notable weaknesses is lack of easy access to removing enchantments; red and black tend to have next to no way to do it while white excels at doing so. this is a feature, not a bug -- if you're finding yourself playing decks that struggle against enchantment-heavy decks it's supposed to be an incentive to build your decks in a way that can deal with it (either by adding in cards from other colors that do better, or leaning harder on the strengths of the colors you are playing by trying to beat your opponent fast enough to just ignore the problem)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What would you guys cut?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

What would you guys cut?

Brute, 2x Aracnir, Viper, Revellers, 2x Thrill, Chariot

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

What would you guys cut?

You have a lot of cards that shouldn't be in a deck like this. Did you start with Klothys and then chase RG without seeing enough actual good cards to be in that colour?

1 Chainweb Aracnir, Ilysian Caryatid, Setessan Skirmisher, Plummet, Irreverent Revelers, Setessan Petitioners, Furious Rise, Thundering Chariot, Nyxborn Brute

Play a 17th land.

thespaceinvader posted:

No loving chance you cut Thrill when this deck is filled with so much garbage.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

VictualSquid posted:

What would you guys cut?

-1 Brute (it's bad), -1 Revelers (SB card at best), -1 Furious Rise (not enough ways to trigger it), -1 Growth (no way to protect it), -1 Skirmisher (not very useful here), -1 Viper (you don't need a defensive creature), -1 Chariot (not the right shell for it), -1 Plummet (SB card - the Aracnir can function similarly).

thespaceinvader posted:

I wouldn't get rid of the only escape cards in the deck, especially when they have a dual purpose against fliers.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Valid on Thrill and at least 1 Aracnir.

Rise definitely wants to come out, Brute is the only thing in there with native 4+ power?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

Rise definitely wants to come out, Brute is the only thing in there with native 4+ power?

??????

Rise is bad but Brute is not the only thing with 4+ power

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

thespaceinvader posted:

All the five drops have 5+, but that's the problem. You need dudes at 3 and 4 CMC to make Rise worth playing at all.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

You have a lot of cards that shouldn't be in a deck like this. Did you start with Klothys and then chase RG without seeing enough actual good cards to be in that colour?

1 Chainweb Aracnir, Ilysian Caryatid, Setessan Skirmisher, Plummet, Irreverent Revelers, Setessan Petitioners, Furious Rise, Thundering Chariot, Nyxborn Brute

Play a 17th land.

No loving chance you cut Thrill when this deck is filled with so much garbage.

I did see only one really good not-RG card in the whole first pack. Afterwards I just stuck with RG. I simply suck at drafting.

Rise worked pretty well, until that last game where it was triggering of the escaped arachnir but I still only drew lands for over 5 turns.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

I did see only one really good not-RG card in the whole first pack. Afterwards I just stuck with RG. I simply suck at drafting.

Rise worked pretty well, until that last game where it was triggering of the escaped arachnir but I still only drew lands for over 5 turns.

I mostly said that because aside from the rares, there's so few cards that are actively GOOD (Iroas' Blessing, Mystic Repeal, Omen of the Forge) and the rest is just replacement grade filler, or worse. Hornbeetle and Furious Rise are really good too but you have so few cards that turn them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally got my first 7-x in Ranked Draft. Turns out it was as simple as drafting four (4) Final Deaths and at least one of every other black removal in the set, plus some escapers.

Draft, Deck