Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Certain things are hard-coded (liquid plasma + light bulb = kaboom), but otherwise most things are simulated. Generally chemicals react with one another to make other chemicals which then do fun things like make explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

So how the heck does the liquid simulation work, mechanically? I've seen all sorts of neato crap, like people injecting fuel into a lightbulb and waiting for someone to turn it on and explode. I know a lot of SS13's stuff is harcdoded, did someone just manually script each specific interaction, or does the game somehow do real fluid dynamics? (I assume the former, because holy crap BYOND.)

Alot of object specific things are hardcoded I think. Fluids got added in the last few years so you can make the janitors life even harder

Isaac fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2020

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Lots of very specific reactions, but then there's the entire reagents system hanging off to one side where a lot of the EXTREMELY esoteric reactions come from. Reagents traditionally exist in containers and they have a huge byzantine chart of their own reactions from there that they follow. So, like, potassium and water will interact to produce explosions once inside a container. There were/are weird ways of getting reagents into non-container forms like food, smoke, or pills that can assist you in making stranger reactions happen; for a very simple example, if the smoke reaction happens in a container, the smoke produced will contain other reagents from the container. If one of those ingredients is high-fructose corn syrup, any living container that inhales some of the smoke (monkeys or humans) will then process some of that into sugar...which can then interact with other reagents carried in the smoke to make more smoke. This is the basis of many hellsmokes and hellfoams, and much consternation and amusement among the playerbase and administration alike.

I've seen many, many strange chemical reactions, but I've never been enough of a chemistry whiz to sit down and engineer any bullshit. It's funny enough dosing cigarettes with explosive liquids, or w/e.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 20, 2020

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Zamujasa posted:

Certain things are hard-coded (liquid plasma + light bulb = kaboom), but otherwise most things are simulated. Generally chemicals react with one another to make other chemicals which then do fun things like make explosions.

Fun fact: liquid plasma and lightbulbs is so ancient, it wasnt even in the combat log since every admin for a long time knew how to do it and used it for mischief at some point and could spot others doing it.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

HukHukHuk posted:

Fun fact: liquid plasma and lightbulbs is so ancient, it wasnt even in the combat log since every admin for a long time knew how to do it and used it for mischief at some point and could spot others doing it.

I spent a good chunk of a round on Outpost Zeta once in the dark, subverting all the light bulbs and waited for a good moment to flip the outpost's power grid back on. Sounded like an artillery barrage, lot's of "WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT" over the radio.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm just a lurker here, but can Grump go negative with absolutely insane amounts of weed?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I don't remember giving Grump any negative-value behaviors, but hey, good idea.
Grump escalates the harder you push the engine and it's Grump that increases the risks of angry grinding noises, shockwave, zaps, fireflash and such from the generator itself - the immediate hazards to the operator. Feeding weed into the furnaces will decrease Grump. Feeding corpses into the engine will decrease grump AND increase the engine efficiency multiplier, leading to even higher power levels.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Grump escalates the harder you push the engine and it's Grump that increases the risks of angry grinding noises, shockwave, zaps, fireflash and such from the generator itself - the immediate hazards to the operator. Feeding weed into the furnaces will decrease Grump. Feeding corpses into the engine will decrease grump AND increase the engine efficiency multiplier, leading to even higher power levels.

Can it be monkey corpses? Would give engineering a reason to order monkeys. Need more legit reasons for people to order crates of monkeys.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also curious about the efficiency multiplier, my hellburns are getting pretty good I can get to a stable 500GW by the time the shuttle comes but I wish I could do even more

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Is there any difference in efficiency/grump value between dead humans and alive ones? :v:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I have no idea how that would even be tracked to begin with, but the person setting up the engine and hellburn specifically should give a big efficency bonus. Gotta be willing to sacrifice yourself in order to get that number up higher

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Greader posted:

I have no idea how that would even be tracked to begin with, but the person setting up the engine and hellburn specifically should give a big efficency bonus. Gotta be willing to sacrifice yourself in order to get that number up higher

Counter: Putting the person who set up the engine into it maximizes Grump. The engine recognizes its parent and will avenge them if they are burned in its flames. Plus it gives traitors with "die a glorious death" objectives a new way to off themselves (or engineering nerds) that'll gently caress with the station.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I don't know if it's changed since I last played, but there really needs to be a/all the furnaces in the control room rather than the heart of the engine. Once it starts cooking, it's functionally sealed off with no way to get to them without potentially messing up the hellburn as it gestates.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just had an annoying engine round where the hot loop inlet pressure went to 0 even though the pipes had 1+e10 pressure. Then in the last moments of the round it fixed itself going straight from 0w to 30Gw.

I put some monkeys in the furnace but could not jot measure their effect

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I hop on a round and after about three minutes the graphics just freeze. I can still type and the chat updates, but that's it. If I close byond and log back in I get another three minutes.

help

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's some sort of BYOND bug because I get it too, but it'll last anywhere from minutes to hours without deciding to spontaneously freeze. No loving clue why it happens or how to even start troubleshooting.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Welp, got laid off from work. Maybe I'll have more time for space game content again? Big oof.
*yep, pandemic. Actually still waiting on COVID test results for myself, got that giant swab up my nose last week and I've been instructed to self-isolate for a couple weeks.
Had several of the symptoms (no fever though) and I'm in like three of the high risk categories.

Hope y'all are hanging in there and I hope space mischief provides some stress relief and company.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 24, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Pandemic-related opportunistic bullshit, or just regular corporate bullshit? Either way, sorry to hear that, man :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Welcome comrade, here is your paper mask and 2 months of toilet paper.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's so important not to confuse the two.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
two, they say

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Another work in progress thing, for rapid repressurization (+ crime) with less hassle of dragging canisters to deal with large breached areas. High-capacity tank on a cart, for use with cargo tugs. And of course it'll have potential for flames bellowing out the pipes, and hapless, ill-advised rocket-propulsion of the whole tug train.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

funmanguy posted:

I hop on a round and after about three minutes the graphics just freeze. I can still type and the chat updates, but that's it. If I close byond and log back in I get another three minutes.

help

This is definitely your current graphic driver, especially if it is NVIDIA. update to the latest supported graphic driver.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Another work in progress thing, for rapid repressurization (+ crime) with less hassle of dragging canisters to deal with large breached areas. High-capacity tank on a cart, for use with cargo tugs. And of course it'll have potential for flames bellowing out the pipes, and hapless, ill-advised rocket-propulsion of the whole tug train.

Can I fill it with bomb mix?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Do we have a heavy metal guitar that plays riffs similar to the other instruments? If not we need one

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Looking forward to sufficiently-traitorized High-Capacity Tank Jet Trains careening through the walls and gibbing people to the Thomas the Tank Engine theme.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Can....can you ride it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Can I suggest making the pipes on the side an add-on for rocket-propulsion/flame-belching via welding some metal pipes on or something? They look like sick afterburners added after the fact rather than part of the "proper" plumbing.

That looks real good either way though :allears:.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I got linked a short article which I think might get a hearty chortle out of some of our chemist friends: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

The Shortest Path posted:

I got linked a short article which I think might get a hearty chortle out of some of our chemist friends: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

In space there is no "No" list, there is only the list of things you can turn into floorpills after breaking into the bar :colbert:

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Can't wait to make this into a self-propelled super bomb

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Good to see the cargo tug get some love. I'd love to see some more fun attachments for it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

The Shortest Path posted:

The "Things I Won't Work With" series of chemistry articles are pretty great, if you like knowing about horrible chemicals that will definitely kill you but are fortunately only found in lab environments.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 1, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

The "Things I Work With" series of chemistry articles are pretty great, if you like knowing about horrible chemicals that will definitely kill you but are fortunately only found in lab environments.

"things i work with" made me switch out of a chemistry degree

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

In space there is no "No" list, there is only the list of things you can turn into floorpills after breaking into the bar :colbert:

"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers" is probably the most SS13 sentence ever written.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Derek Lowe's articles actually inspired the addition of several reagents to SS13, including the almighty FOOF

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I got in a weird mood and had a furious need to make some graphic designs for imaginary companies, here's a few:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

monolithburger posted:

"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers" is probably the most SS13 sentence ever written.

I missed that. It's beautiful. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I got in a weird mood and had a furious need to make some graphic designs for imaginary companies, here's a few:

Those look really good :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Blasto³Tek