Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

donut posted:

Yesterday's "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" from Jalopnik subject is quite the thing.

Odd choice of wheels for an AMC Hornet, I agree with you there.

Even odder choice of interior and engine! Apparently there's an entire early BMW M Roadster sitting under that bodywork. More here, yours for only $14,500.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/seymour-1975-amc-hornet-custom-built/7085021640.html

Can the answer be, "both"?
Because even if it were a nice price I think you'd need a crack pipe to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

donut posted:

Yesterday's "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" from Jalopnik subject is quite the thing.

Odd choice of wheels for an AMC Hornet, I agree with you there.

Even odder choice of interior and engine! Apparently there's an entire early BMW M Roadster sitting under that bodywork. More here, yours for only $14,500.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/seymour-1975-amc-hornet-custom-built/7085021640.html

Sometimes I love it when crazy people do things.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

That thing loving owns.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes it loving does.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Steely Dad posted:

That thing loving owns.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes it loving does.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Looks fairly well done. Price is definitely crack pipe. I wish there was a build thread somewhere. Take the red out of the interior and put some better wheels on it, I'd be down with it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

not craiglist but hhhhnnnnnnnnfffff

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-cadillac-eldorado/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Went for 17.5k.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I thought these were extinct:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3364592200221836/

edit: zoomed and enhanced:

Appears to be stock!
Automatic, and "lost title", of course.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Darchangel posted:

Appears to be stock!

Calls a stock automatic 240SX a "quick little ride" makes me raise my eyebrows more than the stalker-esque photo and lost title

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Plenty of scammers moved to Facebook from Craigslist, it could be one of those.

Seller has 0 activity on Facebook other than this listing. You do the math.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 4, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eat this person

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Eat this person

Apparently it's Logan Paul's and he going broke :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

And people say there's no good news anymore...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:lol: He also begged people to stop spamming his assistant via the ad.

Those couches are dope though...sure as hell not for 90k (or 20k) though.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

Appears to be stock!

Facebook market/Craigslist may be the first indicators of both the final heat death of our past ways of doing things and of the beginnings of whatever new ways we come up with to cope in recovery.

Better than the Dow Jones, anyway. :)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does anyone know a way to filter out dealerships when browsing in the vehicle section of Facebook marketplace? Craigstlist has become a wasteland. When I browse in fb all I see are dealership ads unless I search for a specific car.

This page says this:

quote:

Dealership listings will appear with individual sellers' listings on Marketplace, but buyers can filter between dealership or individual listings when they search for vehicles.
But I can't figure out how to do it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's not an option, best I can tell. There is also the ever-loving cancer of "posting on behalf of dealership", which is somehow a different thing altogether. Facebook is garbage through and through

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it really, really loving sucks that FB and offerup took over so much of the online classifieds from CL

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

Does anyone know a way to filter out dealerships when browsing in the vehicle section of Facebook marketplace? Craigstlist has become a wasteland. When I browse in fb all I see are dealership ads unless I search for a specific car.

This page says this:

You can't, there's no way to filter out dealership adds as far as I know.

The best way I've found to browse, is under "Sort By" select "Date Listed: Newest first" that way you get more private listings than usual otherwise it's all dealership bullshit.

Or in the search bar you can put "private sale" or "private owner" but unless someone puts that phrase in their add in won't show up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

it really, really loving sucks that FB and offerup took over so much of the online classifieds from CL

CL charging for auto ads was the final nail.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rhyno posted:

CL charging for auto ads was the final nail.

Oh drat I didn't know that was a thing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I work for a dealer listing company and when it came out that CL was going to charge there was a lot of people checking to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Basically handed the market to Facebook.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BigPaddy posted:

I work for a dealer listing company and when it came out that CL was going to charge there was a lot of people checking to make sure it wasn't April 1st. Basically handed the market to Facebook.

Which is weird because dealers always had to pay, just private individuals now had to pay to list.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
But it eliminated 99.9% of all scam posts on Craigslist.

Now the scammers are migrating over to Facebook and taking advantage of hastily thrown together unmoderated classifieds. It's a goddamn clusterfuck at best.

But because Facebook on everyone's phone already, and it takes about a minute to throw together a listing, every computer illiterate person is now listing things in the classifieds. And there are magnificent deals to be had because people are lazy, stupid and gullible. I've snagged cars, bikes, appliances and construction materials for pennies on a dollar. And so can you!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

is there a proxy service or something that lets me look without a facebook account?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

taqueso posted:

is there a proxy service or something that lets me look without a facebook account?
Doubtful. You have to have a Facebook account that’s a certain age to even get access. I think it took around a month for me, but supposedly it varies.

Pointedly, I setup an account JUST to access marketplace. It has very little info at all, though I did put some in to seem more trustworthy. I’m not sure why I bothered because I regularly get “is this still available” messages from obviously fake named accounts anyway.

For added hilarity, because we have to laugh so we don’t cry, I’ve had a bike listed for like two months. Maybe a message a week, very little serious interest.

Quarantine starts and I’m getting a message a day. No, gently caress you, I’m not dying of coronavirus to sell a $75 bike. Stay home, moron.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

taqueso posted:

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/

This works in Chrome for me without a login. The interface is poo poo and sometimes I get a "sign up" prompt but you can search locally and all.

Speaking of, I got a targeted ad on Amazon the other day about "Come back to Facebook and see what your friends are doing" :catstare:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I still bought and sold my last cars on Craigslist post the price hike. Definitely less stuff there but still useful.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

taqueso posted:

Just get a wife that has one that's what I did :v:

FB marketplace really sucks for cars tho, it's draining just sifting through all the garbage to find the gem.

Suburban Dad posted:

I still bought and sold my last cars on Craigslist post the price hike. Definitely less stuff there but still useful.

Me too. Sold my car in less than a week.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Out of curiosity what does craigslist charge?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Colostomy Bag posted:

Out of curiosity what does craigslist charge?

Five doll hairs. Just enough to weed out a lot of the bullshit, but also enough to make cheap skates go to FB. I post on both and you get more responses on FB generally but less serious interest.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I loved the searchability of CL but now there is very little there.

On FBM I swear to god that it purposefully hides the key word items I’m looking for and then shows them later when I look for something completely different. The definition of a hellscape shithole of classified ads.

In the same breath, I picked up a Skovby solid teak dining table for $100 beans because the guy had potato phone pics and a title of “dining table.”

Maddening.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Facebook is great for taking advantage of stupid people, but you do have to do some legwork

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
There are zero filters for bicycles on the facebook marketplace, so everything shows up. Want to find a road bike? Here are a thousand children's bicycles, bike locks and trailer hitch bicycle carriers. Also there is one potato camera road bicycle for $300 with description "Bike".

Cool, cool cool cool

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Simply live in an area with less people and thus less bicycles for sale. ez

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the filters in FB marketplace definitely suck rear end, you have to look through a lot of garbage to find anything worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Coredump posted:

This page says this:

Honestly wouldn't even be a problem is dealers didn't almost *always* list the down payment as the price, the shifty bastards.

Krakkles posted:

Doubtful. You have to have a Facebook account that’s a certain age to even get access. I think it took around a month for me, but supposedly it varies.

Pointedly, I setup an account JUST to access marketplace. It has very little info at all, though I did put some in to seem more trustworthy. I’m not sure why I bothered because I regularly get “is this still available” messages from obviously fake named accounts anyway.

Friend of mine who is paranoid of Facebook (not without reason...) wants me to list stuff for him, which I have tried to deflect. He says I can relay him questions or whatever, but the last thing I want to do is play "telephone" with an FB buyer. I know he's used Cragslist before, but I don't think he understands the sheer magnitude of what might happen, here.
He's... not willing to embrace Facebook. Or, really, a lot of technology.

ThirstyBuck posted:

I loved the searchability of CL but now there is very little there.

On FBM I swear to god that it purposefully hides the key word items I’m looking for and then shows them later when I look for something completely different. The definition of a hellscape shithole of classified ads.

This has been my experience as well.
Like, sometimes I find a thing. Can still have that thing open in another tab, and search for it by the exact freaking title, and not find it. It's as frustrating as their post visibility algorithm, or YouTubes suggestions.